As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: February's done, go to the new thread

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    God forbid we not jump to a pre-determined conclusion to match the expectations we have about Molyneux.

Hence, Confirmation Bias.

You want him to be full of shit, so anytime somebody says anything that apparently contradicts him, it's gospel and will spell doom for the future of a game.

Are you a games journalist?

Perhaps this is a pre-determined conclusion about how you expect people on this forum to act.

You want Cloudeagle to be full of shit, so you call his observations confirmation bias.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    God forbid we not jump to a pre-determined conclusion to match the expectations we have about Molyneux.

Hence, Confirmation Bias.

You want him to be full of shit, so anytime somebody says anything that apparently contradicts him, it's gospel and will spell doom for the future of a game.

Are you a games journalist?

Why do I want him to be full of shit? He promised one thing in this case, and he apparently delivered another in this case.

I'm willing to give the guy a fair shake, but this case doesn't sound positive to me.

And what, you're saying that just because the guy has overpromised and underdelivered before, that means we can never, ever point it out when he does the same thing again?

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Er...what?
    Peter Molyneux has had a hard time explaining to some people why he’s chosen to make Fable: The Journey for Kinect. So now, it seems, he’s being careful not to mince his words.

Explaining that he’s decided to be ‘more honest’ about what sparked his decision to use Kinect, Molyneux offered: “I am just sick to death of having my hand clamped to this controller – of having to be forced to use my thumb in a certain way, and having my other hand clamped to the other side of the controller, and having games say ‘No, you will do it this way, and if you don’t do it this way then we will punish you’.”

Molyneux said typical console control inputs make him feel “like some laboratory rat running around a maze, being forced to experience games in that way.”

Speaking in a video interview with Gamereactor, he added: “I remember the days when we first had controllers, when we used to put one finger on one button and then rock it back to touch the other button, when we used to flick the controllers… those are all gone.

“Sure enough, controllers are great, they give us exactly what we want, but that is so tedious and boring now.”

Molyneux said that Kinect offers a ‘feeling of discovery’ during play that typical controllers no longer offer. It’s time for a change, he said.

“Okay, core gamers are going to complain: ‘I want my thumb strapped to that controller’. But if we can give them a delightful experience, and if we can show them what it’s like to discover the gameplay again, I hope it’s going to be worth all the pain that it’s been to do it.”

http://beefjack.com/news/molyneux-slams-controllers-as-tedious-and-boring/

Now, I agree with some of his thoughts, but some of this just makes me think: "Molyneux....you so crazy!" :rotate:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Er...what?
    Peter Molyneux has had a hard time explaining to some people why he’s chosen to make Fable: The Journey for Kinect. So now, it seems, he’s being careful not to mince his words.

Explaining that he’s decided to be ‘more honest’ about what sparked his decision to use Kinect, Molyneux offered: “I am just sick to death of having my hand clamped to this controller – of having to be forced to use my thumb in a certain way, and having my other hand clamped to the other side of the controller, and having games say ‘No, you will do it this way, and if you don’t do it this way then we will punish you’.”

Molyneux said typical console control inputs make him feel “like some laboratory rat running around a maze, being forced to experience games in that way.”

Speaking in a video interview with Gamereactor, he added: “I remember the days when we first had controllers, when we used to put one finger on one button and then rock it back to touch the other button, when we used to flick the controllers… those are all gone.

“Sure enough, controllers are great, they give us exactly what we want, but that is so tedious and boring now.”

Molyneux said that Kinect offers a ‘feeling of discovery’ during play that typical controllers no longer offer. It’s time for a change, he said.

“Okay, core gamers are going to complain: ‘I want my thumb strapped to that controller’. But if we can give them a delightful experience, and if we can show them what it’s like to discover the gameplay again, I hope it’s going to be worth all the pain that it’s been to do it.”

http://beefjack.com/news/molyneux-slams-controllers-as-tedious-and-boring/

Now, I agree with some of his thoughts, but some of this just makes me think: "Molyneux....you so crazy!" :rotate:

Sounds like a great advertisement for Kinect! :rotate:

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Gentlemen, I give you Fable: Staring at a Horse's Ass.

vista01_530x298.jpg
    "Your horse pays the price for your mistakes," Peter Molyneux says during a demo for Fable: The Journey, Lionhead's upcoming Kinect-powered spin-off. The Journey is centered around a young man and his trusty steed and sets out to forge a bond between the two, similar to the relationship players had with their dog in Fable 2.

Molyneux wants us to care about the animal throughout the gesture-based adventure.
    But unlike pet management games like Kinectimals, Lionhead's goal is to offer players a Kinect-enabled experience that features the same moral dilemmas Fable fans will recognize. Choices made in Fable: The Journey will affect the world and the disposition of your horse.

Molyneux expressed his usual level of enthusiasm during the demo, promising players would instinctually understand how to command the mustang from the beginning. My experience did not go as advertised. Molyneux doesn't tell me exactly what to expect and all of a sudden I'm steering the carriage. Things quickly fall apart. The horse takes my gestures as suggestions, rather than orders. I wrestle with the reins, eventually easing into the experience and the demo ends.

In another demo later in the week, I saw one journalist struggle to grasp the concept. He kept trying to steer the carriage like he was holding a very large invisible steering wheel. This doesn't seem like what Lionhead has in mind.

Atop my carriage, I took a brisk tour of the countryside. After, Molyneux jumped the demo forward to an on-foot segment, where I flicked my right hand to shoot fireballs at a group of seemingly harmless fairies. I mean, they didn't attack me; they were just kind of there. Depending on how animated I was with my right arm, the fireball would be larger or smaller, but tiny fairies aren't the best enemy to gauge how much more damage my stronger flailing is worth.

I also got a taste of the game's leash-like jellyfish thing, a sentient being Molyneux described as a smart whip -- you use it to grab enemies, fling them into the air, or interact with things in the environment. Eventually you can add tendrils to it as you upgrade it throughout the game. In the context of the one battle in this demo, I used it to pull down some stone columns onto a very agile Balverine. Molyneux tells me that overusing the leash mechanic will cause it to lock up, and the player will have to calm it down with soothing speech, though none of that was available in this demo.

The Balverine jumped around the screen while I flicked my right wrist a lot, spouting fireballs. It wasn't the most interesting tactic, but spamming the move was a viable option.

In the end, each portion of gameplay was around five minutes, lacking enough cohesion to give me any sense for how all of these things would come together in the final product. Molyneux promises that players will be able to control their steed with their voice too; again, this feature was not available during the demo.

Instead, the strongest feature was the Unreal Engine foundation of Fable: The Journey. Albion is a beautiful place to lazily navigate a horse-drawn carriage through, offering environments ranging from lush green fields to the craggy spires in the image above. The gameplay in my demo may have failed to enthrall me, but I certainly wouldn't mind taking a journey back to Albion to see its sights again.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/06/fable-the-journey-dares-us-to-steer-a-relationship-in-the-right/

Potential tranwreck in the making.

Man, that Peter Molydeux fake account just keeps getting better and better.

Wait. What?

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Warfighter is the new "Soldier" or "Troop" for US Military. The Military (specifically the Army) is always changing their shit as if it mattered. I'm almost sure that it costs retarded amounts of money to constantly update the slogan on all that useless shit it's printed on.

Since Warfighter is designed to be less gender and task specific and relates to anyone actively serving in a wartime operation, maybe the game will contain other Military tasks besides killing and running. Let's look at our options shall we? In the new Medal of Honor: Warfighter you can now:

1) Work the Orderly rooms. All that battle has paperwork! Track personnel during battle, update their emergency family contact information, and make sure their PT scores are right!

2) Vehicle maintenance! Now you can sit around turning wrenches all day long! Never fear being shot or attacked while safely stored away and protected by Military grade plastic canvas that traps pockets of moist and hot air that helps to continue drawing the life out of your body while you're face first in sand and oil all day long!

3) Cook! Warfighters gotta eat! Thankfully Uncle Sam has shipped you off with the best food money can buy! Enjoy your unseasoned and overcooked chicken leg that contains large amounts of calcium! Yup calcium! And since 80% of the meal is a greasy bone you won't have to worry about burning off those extra calories running non-stop keeping and and dirt out of what is for some, their last meal.

4) Public Relations! Not a big fan of work? Don't like all those formations and training? Afraid to think for yourself? Now you can sit back in a nice air conditioned office and write lies about everything you see and hear! That isn't enough for you? How about travel privileged that place you in 5-star hotels all over the world as you follow your chain of command around, kiss their ass, and make them look to be far less retarded than they actually are!

5) Detail crew! All that landscaping and painting to make military posts look cool isn't gonna happen by itself! Daily details change at a moments notice! One minute you might be fighting off weeds, or pulling a security detail to watch a random place with no significant value at all!

DLC will include new cleaning supplies and pointless military forms that require filled out in black pen, 100 copies each.

Can't wait!
    Oh, so they pushed back their original concept for MW3? :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5tRNs2X5Q4

I thought the "Warfighter" thing was brought up earlier, either in this thread or some other PA forum thread. And yes, it is a term that is used in the military (not casually said by any military people that I know, but they said they have heard it used). It sounds terrible, but the military is no stranger to using terrible terminology.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Plus I've noticed that video game nerds tend to be overly harsh at game reviewers' playing ability.

Well, it's kinda earned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gI3y4msbY0

they also can't film for shit

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Peter Molyneux being Peter Molyneux.

I love that guy.

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    In other words, we'd expect game journalists to be pretty bad at playing games, so it's likely they're also just playing Peter's horse game poorly as well?

We don't know personally how well the game plays or how well these particular journalists play video games, but given past performance by journalists, it's reasonable to say that they're probably playing it wrong?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I still love (read: HATE) Joystiq review of Nier. They quit the game maybe two hours into it because they got an introductory to fishing quest and refused to fish at the point of the map with a Giant Red X Marking Quest Objective Area and which automatically gives you said fish and funny cut scene if you fail 3 times. But nope, they choose to not follow the quest marker and try and fish in the wrong spot for ages, fail to catch what they need (no shit), and then give the game a 1.

I mean, really?

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I would play Kinect games if I could find the Kinect sensor for less than $150.. I'd seriously love to get it for my kids, but that's just crazy money for an accessory.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm one of those rare freaks who actually kinda liked Fable III, but even I'm not willing to give the guy the benefit of the doubt. If people are saying his "intuitive controls" control like poo, then they probably control like poo.

I can appreciate his passion and vision. He probably really thinks it's far better to walk through 3 rooms and 2 loading screens to change weapons, with the system showing 5 at a time out of a list of 50. And it's pretty nifty the first few times. But after a while, you just want to say "Fuck this shit. Give me a a 1-step menu to do this, because having to "use my thumb in a certain way, and having my other hand clamped to the other side of the controller" is actually easier and faster than whatever convoluted design he's come up with.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    Warfighter is the new "Soldier" or "Troop" for US Military. The Military (specifically the Army) is always changing their shit as if it mattered. I'm almost sure that it costs retarded amounts of money to constantly update the slogan on all that useless shit it's printed on.

Since Warfighter is designed to be less gender and task specific and relates to anyone actively serving in a wartime operation, maybe the game will contain other Military tasks besides killing and running. Let's look at our options shall we? In the new Medal of Honor: Warfighter you can now:

1) Work the Orderly rooms. All that battle has paperwork! Track personnel during battle, update their emergency family contact information, and make sure their PT scores are right!

2) Vehicle maintenance! Now you can sit around turning wrenches all day long! Never fear being shot or attacked while safely stored away and protected by Military grade plastic canvas that traps pockets of moist and hot air that helps to continue drawing the life out of your body while you're face first in sand and oil all day long!

3) Cook! Warfighters gotta eat! Thankfully Uncle Sam has shipped you off with the best food money can buy! Enjoy your unseasoned and overcooked chicken leg that contains large amounts of calcium! Yup calcium! And since 80% of the meal is a greasy bone you won't have to worry about burning off those extra calories running non-stop keeping and and dirt out of what is for some, their last meal.

4) Public Relations! Not a big fan of work? Don't like all those formations and training? Afraid to think for yourself? Now you can sit back in a nice air conditioned office and write lies about everything you see and hear! That isn't enough for you? How about travel privileged that place you in 5-star hotels all over the world as you follow your chain of command around, kiss their ass, and make them look to be far less retarded than they actually are!

5) Detail crew! All that landscaping and painting to make military posts look cool isn't gonna happen by itself! Daily details change at a moments notice! One minute you might be fighting off weeds, or pulling a security detail to watch a random place with no significant value at all!

DLC will include new cleaning supplies and pointless military forms that require filled out in black pen, 100 copies each.

Can't wait!

Exciting new DLC announced!

6) Training! Attend mandatory training conveniently scheduled during one of the few weekends you weren't supposed to work. Listen to hour upon hour of monotone speakers drone endlessly on about the evils of alcohol and sexual harassment, because a group of officers got busted in Las Vegas. Based on a true story!

kyrcl.png
    I still love (read: HATE) Joystiq review of Nier. They quit the game maybe two hours into it because they got an introductory to fishing quest and refused to fish at the point of the map with a Giant Red X Marking Quest Objective Area and which automatically gives you said fish and funny cut scene if you fail 3 times. But nope, they choose to not follow the quest marker and try and fish in the wrong spot for ages, fail to catch what they need (no shit), and then give the game a 1.

I mean, really?

IGN gave Sonic Unleashed a lower score than Sonic 2006 and made up several flaws in their review - flaws which actually weren't in the game. Looking at the reviewers gamertag, he didn't even make it past the first stage. To clarify, the second stage is the first werehog stage, with the first stage being a normal sonic level (like the later Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations). He didn't even get through that first part of the stage, yet he wrote at length about the werehog.

that first stage, btw, takes all of 2 minutes to clear.

They resorted to insulting the level design for terrible reasons - in the video review, it claims that the levels are full of unavoidable pits. to demonstrate this, they showed a reviewer walking very slowly down a path (which you are fed into via a speed booster, meaning he entered that area initially running forward, then forced himself to stop, then walked back to the beginning to start filming) right up to a spring (in modern sonic games, all you have to do is touch a spring to activate them), then carefully jumped over it into an obvious pit. This entire section, btw, is in 2D, so all you had to do was walk forward.

Then there was the Football Manager 09 controversy, where IGN US gave the game a 1/10, while IGN UK gave the game a 9/10. Football Manager is a soccer simulation game, where you play as a coach managing a team (making trades, coming up with plays, subbing players, making marketing deals, etc - essentially not a sports game but rather a business sim game). The US Site's criticism? Bad graphics, and you don't actually get to play soccer. Said it wasn't action packed enough. Thought the game was too hard and unfun. IGN has since gone through and deleted the review, but you can still find it online.

And then there was the Game Informer review of Paper Mario 2, where, after a glowing write up where the reviewer praised every single aspect of the game, it was awarded a 6.7/10. The following issue, after a flood of complaints came in, both the editor and reviewer responded by supporting their score. Their reasoning? Despite them both absolutely loving the game, they felt that they needed to write to the perceived expectations of their audience, and that their audience was made up of adults who wouldn't appreciate the colorful graphics and "kiddy" atmosphere of the game, thus they felt the need to steer them away.

In short: Game reviews. LMFAO.

• DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    So the iPad 3 was announced. I know smartphones and tablets are kinda being pegged as the replacement for gaming portables but the fact the new iPad is twice as powerful as the last one which was twice as powerful as the first one kinda makes me resent that 'inevitability' even more. iOS is not as bad as Android but it seems like mobile platforms are iterating too quickly. If you are more than a year behind the latest thing I don't think you're going to be able to play the latest games.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular

I mean, really?

Hahaha, oh wow. That's kind of like how DTOID once tried to review Demon's Souls, but in the end the reviewer just gave up because he didn't understand jack shit of the game. Sort of like how everyone else in the collective western gaming media dismissed that very same game for the most part.

Like, there are cases for and against "hand holding" in modern mainstream games, with most Western press coming down on the "We don't need it stop treating us like idiots!"- side. I just think it's hilarious how this falls so flat on its face every time one of these same journalists either fails miserably at everything in any given game or makes the claim that "The game doesn't teach you how to play it, this is bad game design!".

I think gamers and gaming journalists alike have time and time again proven that they can be absolutely dumb as fuck, and if there isn't "PUSH X TO AWESOME" to keep them interested they just walk away and act all "shitsux", "I want a REAL game", "bad game design!".

Now, on the topic of Molydeux latest... There is very little doubt in my mind that the man is hyping up a game again that's not cut out for everything it's trying to be. He's done it before and it at the very least looks like he's doing it again. Now, I'll try to reserve some final judgement on the game until we hear more about it, and if the man really pulls off everything he wanted to do this time to deliver a really neat gaming experience, then more power to him. He's been trying for so long he kind of deserves that consolation prize by now.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I would play Kinect games if I could find the Kinect sensor for less than $150.. I'd seriously love to get it for my kids, but that's just crazy money for an accessory.

Wait what the hell, Arc you have kids? And how long have I 'known' you via the forum?

I hate learning stuff like this about forumers so late. I dunno why, I'm neurotic or something. <_<

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular

Got mine in Dec at Best Buy; $99 and it came with 3 games. You just have to shop around.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
    Dritz wrote: »
    iOS is not as bad as Android

other way around

Watching the iPad conference for work. Namco appeared there to introduce a new air combat game. Epic games just announced Infinity Blade: Dungeons.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So the iPad 3 was announced. I know smartphones and tablets are kinda being pegged as the replacement for gaming portables but the fact the new iPad is twice as powerful as the last one which was twice as powerful as the first one kinda makes me resent that 'inevitability' even more. iOS is not as bad as Android but it seems like mobile platforms are iterating too quickly. If you are more than a year behind the latest thing I don't think you're going to be able to play the latest games.

That will be a problem, I forsee.

Where a DS bought in 2004 will still play games released today, I doubt an iPad you buy today will be playing games released in 8 years.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    Tim Cook's saying the iPad 3 has more memory or screen resolution than either the Xbox 360 or the PS3. Gauntlet: thrown.

Where a DS bought in 2004 will still play games released today, I doubt an iPad you buy today will be playing games released in 8 years.

My Iphone 3gs already struggles to play a few modern iOS games. That was released back in, what, 2009?

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular

I mean, really?

IGN gave Sonic Unleashed a lower score than Sonic 2006 and made up several flaws in their review - flaws which actually weren't in the game. Looking at the reviewers gamertag, he didn't even make it past the first stage. To clarify, the second stage is the first werehog stage, with the first stage being a normal sonic level (like the later Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations). He didn't even get through that first part of the stage, yet he wrote at length about the werehog.

that first stage, btw, takes all of 2 minutes to clear.

They resorted to insulting the level design for terrible reasons - in the video review, it claims that the levels are full of unavoidable pits. to demonstrate this, they showed a reviewer walking very slowly down a path (which you are fed into via a speed booster, meaning he entered that area initially running forward, then forced himself to stop, then walked back to the beginning to start filming) right up to a spring (in modern sonic games, all you have to do is touch a spring to activate them), then carefully jumped over it into an obvious pit. This entire section, btw, is in 2D, so all you had to do was walk forward.

Then there was the Football Manager 09 controversy, where IGN US gave the game a 1/10, while IGN UK gave the game a 9/10. Football Manager is a soccer simulation game, where you play as a coach managing a team (making trades, coming up with plays, subbing players, making marketing deals, etc - essentially not a sports game but rather a business sim game). The US Site's criticism? Bad graphics, and you don't actually get to play soccer. Said it wasn't action packed enough. Thought the game was too hard and unfun. IGN has since gone through and deleted the review, but you can still find it online.

And then there was the Game Informer review of Paper Mario 2, where, after a glowing write up where the reviewer praised every single aspect of the game, it was awarded a 6.7/10. The following issue, after a flood of complaints came in, both the editor and reviewer responded by supporting their score. Their reasoning? Despite them both absolutely loving the game, they felt that they needed to write to the perceived expectations of their audience, and that their audience was made up of adults who wouldn't appreciate the colorful graphics and "kiddy" atmosphere of the game, thus they felt the need to steer them away.

In short: Game reviews. LMFAO.

Exactly.

There are other good ones like the reviewer who played one of the C tier MMOs for 15 minutes before giving a negative review (the company calling him on it was a newish twist considering all MMOs log time you've played its not something you'd want to lie about.)

My favorite example of why reviewers aren't to be trusted is GTA IV. I'm not going to say the game isn't good but the way Rockstar manipulated the reviewers was hilarious. Locking them in a secret room so they could rush through the game hours before its worldwide launch of the most hyped game of the generation?

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Tim Cook's saying the iPad 3 has more memory or screen resolution than either the Xbox 360 or the PS3. Gauntlet: thrown.

That's not really impressive, since both the 360 and PS3 have pathetic memory. Also, his comment is vague - does it have more vram, or more total memory? Does the ipad even have dedicated vram? Is the total system memory unified and shared?

It's a fucking odd gauntlet to throw. The tech of the 360 and PS3 is six years old at this point (seven in the former's case). Of course it feels dated.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular

That is sadly true.

Tablets and consoles are converging rather quickly, and with tablets having an annual upgrade cycle, that's a problem.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    http://techcrunch.com/2012/03/07/apple-announces-a-retina-equipped-ipad-its-just-called-ipad/
    Today, in downtown San Francisco, Apple’s CEO Tim Cook unveiled the iPad 3. “We are redefining the category that Apple created with the original iPad,” he said. The device looks very similar to the iPad 2 but the new model is equipped with internal hardware including a high-resolution screen with a 264 ppi, and as Apple’s Phil Schiller notes, is good enough to call a retina screen.

But Apple doesn’t talk about just hardware. It’s all about the experience and a screen nearly twice as sharp is something Apple hopes will push the iPad into new markets and use cases.

Inside the new iPad is an A5X processor complete with quad-core graphics. Apple states that the A5 SoC is “twice as fast” as the Tegra 3 and the A5X offers “four times the performance.”

Software
    Apple has optimized all the stock apps for the new screen like the company did for the iPhone 4. Several developers were given access to the new screen specs and have updated their apps to take advantage of the new pixels.

The new A5X chip gives developers new found freedom. Apple demonstrated on stage today several apps that take full advantage of the new processing power and high resolution screen. Gaming and art apps have never looked better.

Camera
    Holding up the iPad to take a picture is never the most pleasurable experience, which is likely why Apple kept the camera specs on the lower-end in the previous generation models. But with all the killer camera apps available on iOS and our general enthusiasm toward imagery, Apple knows it’s time to slap something better onto the iPad. That said, the same 8-megapixel shooter fitted onto the iPhone 4S will be present and accounted for on this next-gen iPad.

The camera has the larger f/2.4 aperture to let in more light, and all the same software goodness that came with the iPhone 4S camera app — like swipe to preview, photo editing, and facial recognition — is along for the ride too.

The camera can also record video in 1080p.

The new iPad also comes equipped with a voice dictation tool that supports U.S. English, British, Australian, French, German, and Japanese. This positions the iPad for increased productivity tools — it’s a straight shot at other mobile workstation solutions.

LTE
    Apple has also equipped the new iPad with high speed networking. This model sports 21 Mbps HSPA+, 42Mbps DC-HSDPA and 73Mbps LTE. This is blazing fast data connectivity.

The new iPad can rock its LTE goods on Teslus, Rogers, Bell, Verizon, and AT&T (Verizon & AT&T in the states). It retains its 3G radio from before and is 3G world-ready.

Battery
    The new model is 9.4mm thin and weighs in at 1.4lbs. That’s slightly heavier than the iPad 2 but the additional weight allows for larger batteries that give the new iPad, complete with its new screen and LTE radio, the same 10 hour battery life found in the iPad 2 (9 hours on LTE.)

Price and availability
    Price points remain from previous models: the 16GB is $499, 32GB $599 and 64GB $699. Likewise, the LTE versions are $629, $729 and $829.

The new iPad ships on March 16th. Pre-orders are available today.

My Iphone 3gs already struggles to play a few modern iOS games. That was released back in, what, 2009?

My 1G iPod Touch I bought in 2008 couldn't play like half of the App Store when I sold it in 2010 because it couldn't update to the latest OS.

FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2012

Guess what the Xbox 360 and PS3 have more than the iPad 3?

Buttons. Argument over.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Henroid wrote: »

It's a fucking odd gauntlet to throw. The tech of the 360 and PS3 is six years old at this point (seven in the former's case). Of course it feels dated.

Not only that, you can make that statement true in a variety of ways and still not have impressive results. The way he threw around "screen resolution" makes me think he means that the ipad has more ram than the xbox 360 or PS3's video memory... which is TIIIINY TINY TINY. And I'm looking around and not seeing any places which lists vram for the ipad, leading me to believe it's a unified memory structure, meaning all total memory is shared. Which would absolutely be bigger than the 360 and PS3's vram.

But even if he's referring to the total memory for both entire machines... he's boasting about 512 mb of ram. The Vita has more ram than that.

Buttons. Argument over.

It is?

Buttons. Argument over.

It is?

You can have all the memory and resolution in the world but if you can't fucking control the game what's the point?

FU7kFbw.png
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Ok, has anybody who has heard that Nier example actually played the game, specifically the section that is mentioned? Because it it not as fucking simple as it lets on.

The game tells you to fish at a beach. It tells you this while you are standing next to a beach. Therefore, I'm likely not going to look at the map because the intuitive answer appears to be right in front of me.

Yes, the game does actually put an X on the map telling you where to go, and yes the player and that reviewer are technically at fault. And that guy was a dweeb to just give up then and there. But christ, this is not as black and white as the statement makes it to be. It's certainly not some example of "olol reviewer is teh dumbz".

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited March 2012

Buttons. Argument over.

It is?

The argument about which has more buttons is over, I guess.

Well, unless you compare the ipad to kinect, in which case the ipad wins.

So I guess not even that argument is over.

EDIT: Android has more buttons than both, though. Full qwerty keyboard, ability to use Xbox 360 controllers, and buttons on the unit itself.

TheSonicRetard on

Buttons. Argument over.

It is?

You can have all the memory and resolution in the world but if you can't fucking control the game what's the point?

Which "game?" There's plenty of iOS games I can fucking control. Non-sexual control, even.

• AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ziggurat is no-button, and also very very good.

One local magazine here in Sweden gave it 6/10 because there was little variation in content or something.

Yeah, LOL.

Absalon on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

I'm starting to think they don't really GET the market.

Like, in a phone you can iterate that fast because even the people who don't give a shit tend to upgrade every like 3 years with their phone contracts and the like.

But a tablet is not a phone and I think they may shoot themselves in the foot pretending it is.

Not only that, you can make that statement true in a variety of ways and still not have impressive results. The way he threw around "screen resolution" makes me think he means that the ipad has more ram than the xbox 360 or PS3's video memory... which is TIIIINY TINY TINY. And I'm looking around and not seeing any places which lists vram for the ipad, leading me to believe it's a unified memory structure, meaning all total memory is shared. Which would absolutely be bigger than the 360 and PS3's vram.

But even if he's referring to the total memory for both entire machines... he's boasting about 512 mb of ram. The Vita has more ram than that.

Nail on the head, TSR. :^:

I mean... I dunno. To do a classic VG Industry Thread thing, imagine if a car manufacturer advertised their newest model by comparing it to a car from just before the new millennium. "WE HAVE GPS AND SHIT." Uh yeah, compared to 2002, that's not a fucking surprise.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

Wait what the hell, Arc you have kids? And how long have I 'known' you via the forum?

I hate learning stuff like this about forumers so late. I dunno why, I'm neurotic or something. <_<

Haha! I feel like that's how it is online. Unless you're reading everything thread everyone else is, you don't really know all that much about them. But yeah, I've got a 5 yo girl, 4 yo boy, and a 1 yo boy. Thinking about it, I've been on this forum since before I got married. Crazy how time flies.

Anyway, I think they're hitting the perfect age for the Kinect and some of the fun little games there, but I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open for a good deal like Capt Howdy.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
This discussion has been closed.