As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Playstation Home: Achievements+Miis?

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Games and Technology
Found this kind of interesting, though I would post it.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/sony/rumor-sony-to-unveil-playstation-home-240746.php
Basically, you get to make an avatar for your console (like a Mii) and this avatar has a room. As you play games and accomplish certain tasks, you will receive items with which to adorn the room that are specific to the game (achievements). The kicker is that this is going to be a new requirement for every PS3 game...

Supposedely Sony is going to be showing something at GDC next week that is going to make PS3 owner's "very happy." Could this be it?

Sounds interesting to me, and I could see how if it is true, this could turn out to be pretty adicting.

Also, from PsxEtreme
Your home will act as a storage of trophies, achievements, and other rewards that can be viewed by anyone on your buddy list. But, the most crucial aspect to the asset is that it'll let people listen to audio on your HDD and watch videos from your HDD (you make the audio/video public or private). You'll be able to play a host of mini-games like cards with your friends, and also have the virtual TV in your home display a video in your PS3. Lastly, the poster suggests that you can walk outside of your house and visit the Virtual Theater (you'll get movie clips/videos here) and visit the Virtual Arcade.

Kyougu on

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I know I'm gonna get flamed for saying it, but...

gimmick much?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    oh for chrissake, sony.

Can't you think up your own ideas?

Granted, the one original part is a decent, if retardedly gimmicky one.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kor wrote: »

gimmick much?

That's what they said about achievements, and look how well that went.

Renzo on
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey, at least this time they're ripping off both of their competitors at once. If you can say one thing, at least they're being efficient.

EDIT: I can't spell.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Renzo wrote: »
    Kor wrote: »

gimmick much?

That's what they said about achievements, and look how well that went.

My point is that there hasn't been enough planning to fully implement this idea across the PSN.

That, and its sort of the Wiimote vs the SIXAXIS. Wheras Wiimote feels innovative, vs the SIXAXIS feels tacked on.

I just thoughtt he same applied here.

Kor on
  • Options
    DewtheKingAJDDewtheKingAJD Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hope it works out, sounds like a plus.

DewtheKingAJD on
    banner.jpg

PSN ID : DewtheKing

Playing: The Red Star, Ratchet & Clank: Size Matters, Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fantasy VII
  • Options
    NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's funny to think that Sony was the market LEADER once.

EDIT: Hmm, this is only a rumor at the moment. Oops.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The base idea swipes from both Nintendo and Microsoft simultaneously, but the idea of a room with collectable objects is kinda interesting.

Then again, if every game developer is repsonsible for kicking in their own objects independently, we could be in for a Second Life-esque mash o' clash pretty quick.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is a good thing. I don't own a Ps3 but it sounds cool enough to me. <3 the idea of hanging a hot female character's thong up on my mantle.

*thumbs up Sony*

To above: bashing Sony for nothing was so yesterday.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Next up for PS3: Everybody Chooses Channel. Then I'm really looking forward to Super Paper Not-Mario and Super Sony Bros. Brawl. I think Machinery of War will be the next big system seller though.

EDIT: ^^making fun of Sony for what they did yesterday was so yesterday. Today is another matter. Yes it does sound like a nifty idea, are they gonna call it PSN Crossing? I kid, I kid. I really want to love Sony again, but they make it soooo hard. Hopefully in a year we can all look back at this and laugh.

Nickle on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Meh.

I would be interested if I didn't have this available else where. (360/Wii and Animal Crossing).

Sheep on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Negative much? I imagine this'll just turn into another "we hate Sony" thread. Granted, I think Sony is dumb, too, but how many threads do we have to have on the first page saying how much we dislike them.

In any case, I don't see what's wrong with this. It sounds like a neat idea. Achievements won't just be a number, but I get to populate my avatar's room with items. Of course, I'm probably going to be flamed just for thinking this is cool. They're taking something else and putting their own spin on it, and once again, I don't see what's wrong with that. Hell, that happens all the time in business and elsewhere, right? That's basically what American culture is.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Not a bad idea actually. If it's just a web page though, it's kind of silly. I don't know. In the long run if it's not as easy and quick to access by console as the Miis and achievements are though, it's not going to be something many people pay attention to. Right up there with someones idea here who said that you should unlock accessories for your Mii after accomplishing certain things in games on your Wii.

Aoi on
  • Options
    The Burnin8orThe Burnin8or Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This could be interesting if they do it right. If other people could browse your room somehow, like people on your friends list, etc, that would be cool. If you could still see an overall breakdown of where you stand for getting these things in a game, that would be good too.

If it's just something that only you can see, it seems like it would be missing it's potential, although still better than just implementing achievements and calling them entitlements . . . .

The Burnin8or on
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    In any case, I don't see what's wrong with this. It sounds like a neat idea. Achievements won't just be a number, but I get to populate my avatar's room with items. Of course, I'm probably going to be flamed just for thinking this is cool.

I agree completely, it's a cool idea. I mean it's fluff, but it's cool fluff.

I don't get the hate either. If Nintendo added an achievement system for it's games, would people really get all up in arms because it's Microsoft's idea and they aren't allowed to use it?

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I think the idea is silly and ultimately pointless. But the reason people are bashing it is because, if it's true, it's just another "look, we can do that too" move on Sony's part. Maybe nobody would care if not for the crap with entitlements and the Sixaxis. They haven't come up with a single legitimately original idea this generation.

Zek on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think I'm missing out by not having a 360 and said achievements. I really like the idea, and I think that this is one bandwagon, done before or not, that Sony really shouldn't miss.

Get with the program here, Nintendo. (who saw that coming?)

EDIT:
    Zek wrote:
    They haven't come up with a single legitimately original idea this generation.

So? I don't think that matters, if said idea adds fun to their product. Also: I could care less about where an idea comes from, just where that idea will lead. (read: improvements on ideas previously done before)

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Backlash wrote: »
    In any case, I don't see what's wrong with this. It sounds like a neat idea. Achievements won't just be a number, but I get to populate my avatar's room with items. Of course, I'm probably going to be flamed just for thinking this is cool.

I don't get the hate either. If Nintendo added an achievement system for it's games, would people really get all up in arms because it's Microsoft's idea and they aren't allowed to use it?

Actually, yes.

People seem to forget that ALL companies are targets for bitching 'round here, not just Sony. It's just been that Sony's made a lot of glaring missteps lately.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Actually, yes.

People seem to forget that ALL companies are targets for bitching 'round here, not just Sony. It's just been that Sony's made a lot of glaring missteps lately.

I can't really see how you could call that a misstep.

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Actually, yes.

But I think all consoles could benefit from some form of achievements, so if they put their own spin on it I really don't see the harm.

As pathetic as playing "me too" might seem to us at times, it's a facet of competition just as much as innovation. Because while you can sing the unique praises of your product, if it's easy to implement some similar functionality to your competition's without getting in legal trouble, then that's one more thing you have that you can use when you appeal to consumers.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Actually, yes.

I can't really see how you could call that a misstep.

I was referring to the fact that a bunch of people are getting pre-emptively defensive towards Sony in this thread because of past bitching, and reminding why such past bitching occurred as well as the possibility of future bitching against companies that aren't Sony.

Anyway, carry on.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I really wish Achievements were a universal thing across all consoles. It'd be good for BC clearing out. So good job Sony! You get a gold star on this one.

Boo Nintendo for not having Achievements at all.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It pisses me off that Sony doesn't stop stealing things from their competitors, but this is a point for PS3, not against. It's just added, possibly good features, stolen or not.

bruin on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like this idea, and anything to help their online presence is a good move, in my opinion.

I vividly recall someone on this forum iterate this exact idea back in the days of Wii/Revolution speculation. I thought it was a good idea then, I think it's a good idea now.

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I vividly recall someone on this forum iterate this exact idea back in the days of Wii/Revolution speculation. I thought it was a good idea then, I think it's a good idea now.

Shhhhh.....they're watching us.

Nickle on
  • Options
    RealityReality Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I like this idea, but I liked it on the Wii/360 before now too so why wouldn't I like it still?

The only part that pisses me off about Sony jackin peoples ideas is when they turn right around and say, "Oh, we've had this in development just as long as the competition... we just didn't show it to you" and then they go ahead and add it to their "Innovated by Us" list.

Reality on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    It pisses me off that Sony doesn't stop stealing things from their competitors, but this is a point for PS3, not against. It's just added, possibly good features, stolen or not.

Indeed,

To sum up this thread.

Sony as a company -1

PS3 as a system +1

Kor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Negative much? I imagine this'll just turn into another "we hate Sony" thread. Granted, I think Sony is dumb, too, but how many threads do we have to have on the first page saying how much we dislike them.

Well, I mean. If Sony introduced "The Legend of Felda: Plink's Adventure" that starred a little elf saving the vide president's daughter in the city of Ja Rule, and someone made a thread about it...

Would... would be wrong to speak up about it? Would it be right for people to reply with the notion that "it's the business, everyone copies everyone"?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

Well, I mean. If Sony introduced "The Legend of Felda: Plink's Adventure" that starred a little elf saving the vide president's daughter in the city of Ja Rule, and someone made a thread about it...

Would... would be wrong to speak up about it? Would it be right for people to reply with the notion that "it's the business, everyone copies everyone"?
    I think your theoretical scenario is somewhat different than this situation, but you're right in saying there's nothing wrong for drawing similarities.

But I think the original post made it clear that it was a cobbling of lifted ideas, there's no reason to shake our fists past that point, as long as we're not kidding ourselves otherwise.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007

But I think the original post made it clear that it was a cobbling of lifted ideas, there's no reason to shake our fists past that point, as long as we're not kidding ourselves otherwise.

I wouldn't really care too much about it if I knew that Sony wouldn't tout this as some grand, new, improvement and how it's the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel.

You know, like the whole sixaxis thing.

Sheep on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    WHY wrote: »
    oh for chrissake, sony.

Can't you think up your own ideas?

Granted, the one original part is a decent, if retardedly gimmicky one.
    The original part seems to have come from someone playing Animal Crossing.

Not that the whole idea isn't neat, just incredibly derivative.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Heh.

Well, that's cool, but I wonder when their games will start allowing you to use your ... 'avatar'.. in actual games, like Miis?

Meh. You can't store them on the Sixaxis, either.

Sort of cool I guess. Weird that they're enforcing the.. Entitlements now.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Sleep wrote: »

I wouldn't really care too much about it if I knew that Sony wouldn't tout this as some grand, new, improvement and how it's the greatest thing since the invention of the wheel.

You know, like the whole sixaxis thing.
    Yeah, that's definitely irritating. I guess it's corporate tradition to have a false sense of pride accompanying you at all times.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am sure as soon as I buy my ps3 I'll change my opinion on achievements.

Oh wait, no, no I won't. I like to play my games because they're good, not some asinine rewards.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Kemal86Kemal86 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    This is fucking outrageous.

Sony has blackballed Kotaku for posting this rumor.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/sony-blackballs-kotaku-240860.php

Kemal86 on
    i used to test games now i sit on my couch and am lazy all day
    PKMN White FC: 0046 2138 1298
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Kemal86 wrote: »

One step forward, two steps back...

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Kemal86 wrote: »

Specifically, they said we would be asked to return our debug PS3, uninvited from all meetings scheduled with Sony at GDC, including one on blogger relations and a one-on-one with Phil Harrison, and that they would no longer deal with us.

Harsh.

Then again, it's not unprecedented. Game companies have blackballed plenty of other sites (some only temporarily) for blowing non-disclosure agreements or publishing bad reviews. And despite being termed as "rumor has it," this is a pretty damn blatant non-disclosure break, since it's apparently true given Sony's reaction.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Very lame, Sony. Very.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    No... seriously... did Sony look at the positive reaction to this and decide that that wasn't what they wanted?

How the hell did they turn this into another bad mark on the company?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    imbalancedimbalanced Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The sad thing is, Sony thinks it's okay to crap on the journalists that cover them, never once thinking, "Hey, maybe they might print us being jackasses and that could cause more backlash than fact-based rumors. Hmmm."

imbalanced on
    idc-sig.png
    Wii Code: 1040-1320-0724-3613 :!!: