As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Rumble is Next-Gen again!

• Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Dashui wrote: »
    I hope your precious feelings weren't hurt too much, Death of Rats.

No, seriously, can ANYONE on this forum defend Sony without being a cockbag? Without the name calling? Does it really upset you that much that someone else doesn't like Sony's business practices?
    It's a shame you're so upset that a business in this day and age would ever lie to you about a console you probably don't, and don't intend to, own, especially in regards to rumble technology. I guess they shouldn't add rumble back in? I'm still unclear what your stance even is. From everything you've said, I take it you'd rather them not include rumble back into the controllers?

Where did I say I didn't intend to own a PS3. Hell, where in this thread have I said I don't own a PS3? Also, where have I said that they shouldn't put rumble back in? They should. But they should also learn to not lie to their consumers. And the only way that they'll do that is if us, the consumers, call them out on their bullshit.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Fireflash wrote: »
    Miller wrote: »
    Who cares about PR spin; better late than never.

Agreed. This is a good thing. Playstation Home and now rumble? My PS3 is looking all the more attractive.

Except now you'll have to rebuy your controllers if you want the rumble. I hope you didn't already buy extra controllers.

So you'd rather they don't add rumble back in for those who want it? Everyone whined and bitched and moaned like crazy when they announced it wouldn't have rumble, and now everyone is whining and bitching and moaning like crazy when they announce they'll put it back in. What the hell do you want?

And I won't buy the rumble controllers right away. I'm happy without them at the moment. I doubt they'll make it a requirement, nor will game developers. It is, most likely, a choice. And it's a choice I appreciate. Like the original quote said, better late than never.

Once again this is a case of Sony should have known what the hell they were doing before releasing the PS3.

So they should've added rumble in from the start even when they had a large lawsuit about the issue apparently preventing them from doing it? Right now, you and everyone else is just bitching for the sake of bitching. There's obvious bias, and no matter what news comes out, good or bad, someone will spin it to make it negative. The six negative threads we have going against Sony on the first page are a little much, no?

And I don't get what the hell you even mean. So you're against putting rumble back in? Is that the stance you're taking? Do you even have a stance relevant to the issue?

I believe the point is more that Sony needs to stop treating consumers like they are idiots. This is simply a reminder of the lies that they've fed us in the past. As recently as the EGM interview with whatshisname Sony was claiming that rumble was entirely unnessecary, and now it looks like they're implimenting it.

Sony has a mindset of no matter what they do people will buy their products. This results, sometimes but not always, in subpar products hitting the market. If Sony was't so full of themselves, they'd put out more well-rounded products. And stop lying to consumers.

Evander on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007

So they should've added rumble in from the start

Uh... Yes.
    Right, but because we live in the present and not the past, it's like I originally said: better late than never. "Coulda, woulda, shoulda..." doesn't really mean anything.

Coulda woulda shoulda means much when it involves your base having to buy a new controller due to your short sightedness.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Vegan wrote: »
    So they should've added rumble in from the start even when they had a large lawsuit about the issue apparently preventing them from doing it? Right now, you and everyone else is just bitching for the sake of bitching. There's obvious bias, and no matter what news comes out, good or bad, someone will spin it to make it negative. The six negative threads we have going against Sony on the first page are a little much, no?

And I don't get what the hell you even mean. So you're against putting rumble back in? Is that the stance you're taking? Do you even have a stance relevant to the issue?

Don't play stupid. You know as well as anyone that Sony could've settled at any time.

Right, but because we live in the present and not the past, it's like I originally said: better late than never. "Coulda, woulda, shoulda..." doesn't really mean anything.

Analyzing past trends is one of the best ways of predicting the future.

This is another example of a trend of Sony shitting all over their consumer-base, rushing a product to market before they could impliment all of the features, claiming that all the features they wanted were already included. Then, they suddenly impliment new features, leaving early adopters hanging.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    It's a shame you're so upset that a business in this day and age would ever lie to you

Are you really defending the "right to lie"?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Evander is now my fucking hero.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    BacklashBacklash Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    Sony has a mindset of no matter what they do people will buy their products. This results, sometimes but not always, in subpar products hitting the market. If Sony was't so full of themselves, they'd put out more well-rounded products. And stop lying to consumers.

This seems like a good step though. Someone in the company must have gone "Oh shit, we can't just ignore consumers that want rumble, maybe we should actually take steps to give them what they want."

Backlash on
    Absoludacrous.jpg
    SSBB: 2921-8745-1438
    Diamond: 2320-2615-4086
  • Options
    Filler Inc.Filler Inc. Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's a shame you're so upset that a business in this day and age would ever lie to you

I know dude! Good thing nintendo and microsoft have never, ever lied to the public.

Thank god for that.

whew

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Filler wrote: »

I know dude! Good thing nintendo and microsoft have never, ever lied to the public.

Thank god for that.

whew

Recently? As in... today?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I hope your precious feelings weren't hurt too much, Death of Rats. It's a shame you're so upset that a business in this day and age would ever lie to you about a console you probably don't, and don't intend to, own, especially in regards to rumble technology. I guess they shouldn't add rumble back in? I'm still unclear what your stance even is. From everything you've said, I take it you'd rather them not include rumble back into the controllers?
    You and I both know that Sony is the only one that ever does that. I mean, look at the Wii, completely region free. And the 360? Man, that thing is selling solidly, if not spectacularly in Japan.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Thank god for that.

whew

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

This is a thread about Sony, the PS3, and rumble technology. I don't see how Microsoft and Nintendo factor in.

And hell, even if other companies do things wrong, does that justify Sony doing things wrong?

Evander on
  • Options
    MillerMiller Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Don't play stupid. You know as well as anyone that Sony could've settled at any time.

This is another example of a trend of Sony shitting all over their consumer-base, rushing a product to market before they could impliment all of the features, claiming that all the features they wanted were already included. Then, they suddenly impliment new features, leaving early adopters hanging.

I don't disagree, but I'm coming at this from a very selfish perspective. I have been playing the "Sit and Wait" game with Sony because of it being rushed to the market, not swallowing their pride with Immersion, the arrogance, etc...All of this is eventually going to force them to take a step back and look at their product and hopefully improve on it, which is what I'm waiting for. I think this is a step in the right direction.

Miller on
    prestigeangiernu3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I hope your precious feelings weren't hurt too much, Death of Rats. It's a shame you're so upset that a business in this day and age would ever lie to you about a console you probably don't, and don't intend to, own, especially in regards to rumble technology. I guess they shouldn't add rumble back in? I'm still unclear what your stance even is. From everything you've said, I take it you'd rather them not include rumble back into the controllers?
    You and I both know that Sony is the only one that ever does that. I mean, look at the Wii, completely region free. And the 360? Man, that thing is selling solidly, if not spectacularly in Japan.

Again, RECENTLY?

And even your examples are way different than this. Nintendo had a miscommunication internally, and as soon as it was all figured out they took responsibility for it and told the truth. This thing with Sony is them ACTIVELY lying to the consumer. Purposely.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Again, how does that defend Sony?

This reminds me of all the folks who "defend" Bush by attacking Clinton's presidency.

Evander on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

If I remember correctly, Kaplan said that she turned out to be misinformed when it was brought to her attention in an interview that the Wii was not Region Free

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Thank god for that.

whew

No, you're right. This couldn't be a phase sony will work past.

It's not like nintendo was a giant douche bag in the late 80's early 90's.

So it's clear, I mean super ultra crystal clear, that sony will never, ever be a good company ever again. So everytime they do something, even it if it's something good like listening to its consumers and putting rumble back in the controllers, we should ultimately look down on them.

It's not like there products are any good. I mean fuck, when was the last good game they released? If I only read these forums, I would have to say they havent in a long time.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Thank god for that.

whew

No, you're right. This couldn't be a phase sony will work past.

It's not like nintendo was a giant douche bag in the late 80's early 90's.

So it's clear, I mean super ultra crystal clear, that sony will never, ever be a good company ever again. So everytime they do something, even it if it's something good like listening to its consumers and putting rumble back in the controllers, we should ultimately look down on them.

It's not like there products are any good. I mean fuck, when was the last good game they released? If I only read these forums, I would have to say they havent in a long time.

I'm gonna, you know, go kick some kittens.

BUT HEY, I'LL BE A NICE PERSON IN THE FUTURE, YOU BETTER NOT CALL ME OUT ON MY PRESENT KITTEN KICKING

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2007

I don't disagree, but I'm coming at this from a very selfish perspective. I have been playing the "Sit and Wait" game with Sony because of it being rushed to the market, not swallowing their pride with Immersion, the arrogance, etc...All of this is eventually going to force them to take a step back and look at their product and hopefully improve on it, which is what I'm waiting for. I think this is a step in the right direction.

Hey, I hope it is. I'm not some kind of irrational Sony hater who wishes them doom, I am a consumer who has been slighted by Sony in the past, and bases his choices off of those experiences. To me, this is no different from when they told me that is I got a PSP I could play PS1 games on it, and only later, after I'd gotten my PSP, did they inform me I'd need a PS3 too. I'm not buying a 300 dollar perrifferal for a 250 dollar machine, and I'd hate to have to buy another fifty dollar controller just because Sony rushed the PS3 to market.

Evander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Thank god for that.

whew

What the hell does that have to do with anything?

This is a thread about Sony, the PS3, and rumble technology. I don't see how Microsoft and Nintendo factor in.

And hell, even if other companies do things wrong, does that justify Sony doing things wrong?

I think it's the frustration of coming to GnT once every couple of months and continually seeing you guys slather nintendo with praise and back hand sony like a cheap whore.

wheres the outrage at the lack of games for the Wii?

On the other hand, I see 4 pages about sony, and they're all filled with 'olol sony'.

This is good news. They lied to us? How do you know? Even if it is possible to fit rumble and motion sensitive controls together, what kept them from doing it was the looming lawsuit.

Why would you release a statement saying that the reason you're not doing it is because of the lawsuit? That lends leverage to the suing company, it would show them that they are desperate. However, stating that it's just not possible lets them think that they just have given up on the idea and they don't need the technology anymore.

But this is all speculation, infact this thread is filled with speculation. Speculating that the reason sony lied is because they don't respect their customers.

If anyone has an internal document stating why they said what they said, I'd sure as hell like to see it. Until then, all any of you are doing is assuming.

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    snip

disappointment.jpg

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Filler, let me put it this way:

Nintendo made a mistake with the Wii controller strap being too thin. What did they do? They immediately enacted an optional free recall and replacement.

Sony made a "mistake" by rushing the PS3 to market before they had the rights to impliment rumble, and what did they do? They lied about it to consumers so that they could still sell units until they were able to impliment the feature.

Considering the way the two companies treat consumers, is it a wonder which one consumers seem a bit more amicable towards?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Nintendo made a mistake with the Wii controller strap being too thin. What did they do? They immediately enacted an optional free recall and replacement.

Sony made a "mistake" by rushing the PS3 to market before they had the rights to impliment rumble, and what did they do? They lied about it to consumers so that they could still sell units until they were able to impliment the feature.

Considering the way the two companies treat consumers, is it a wonder which one consumers seem a bit more amicable towards?

You're right... they should have missed the christmas season...

Why did I not think of that?!

Filler Inc. on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I think it's the frustration of coming to GnT once every couple of months and continually seeing you guys slather nintendo with praise and back hand sony like a cheap whore.

wheres the outrage at the lack of games for the Wii?

Wario Ware? Sonic? SSX? Super Paper Mario? Any other game game I've forgotten to list? Backlog of games from launch and December?
    On the other hand, I see 4 pages about sony, and they're all filled with 'olol sony'.

Well Sony has been screwing up quite a lot over the past half a year+
    This is good news. They lied to us? How do you know? Even if it is possible to fit rumble and motion sensitive controls together, what kept them from doing it was the looming lawsuit.

Yeah, it is. Yes they did. Because they told us flat out that you could not do rumble in the SixAxis without it fucking up the motion sensing and Immersion said "Uh, we figured out 3 different ways that you could have both rumble and accurate motion sensing". It is quite possible as seen in that last sentence, and they could have settled that lawsuit at any time.
    Why would you release a statement saying that the reason you're not doing it is because of the lawsuit? That lends leverage to the suing company, it would show them that they are desperate. However, stating that it's just not possible lets them think that they just have given up on the idea and they don't need the technology anymore.

Because Honestly is the best policy? Well, you know when you violate someone's patent, they usually have the right to take your ass to court for all it's worth. Sooo... lying to the customers through the media to save face is better than being open and honest just to intimidate the people taking you to court, gotcha.
    But this is all speculation, infact this thread is filled with speculation. Speculating that the reason sony lied is because they don't respect their customers.

Man What?
    If anyone has an internal document stating why they said what they said, I'd sure as hell like to see it. Until then, all any of you are doing is assuming.
    They flat out said at E3 that Rumble interfered with motion sensing. This is a well known fact.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Maybe they could have... you know... just told the truth about their reason behind not having rumble. Maybe they could have done that. That might have worked.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Speculating that the reason sony lied is because they don't respect their customers.
    No, its their lack of respect for their customers that allowed them to feel okay about spouting such bald-faced lies in the first place.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Nobody is outraged at the "lack of games for the Wii" because we're too busy trying to decide if we should buy Sonic or SSX Blur this week. I was torn, but I went with Sonic. I think I'll get SSX Blur, too, though. Apparently it's controls give the SSX Series a fresh and fun new take.

But how's Resistance: Fall of Man? I hear it's decent. If I had a PS3, I'd probably get that game.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

This is where people like you confuse me.

I mean, don't get me wrong. I'm not some kind of capitalism=EVIL hippy or something. I'm actually a very pro-capitalism economics student.

But I personally think that purposefully decieving consumers inorder to increase sales is highly unethical. If you have a product you want to bring out, but it isn't ready yet, it is wrong to push it out on the market early without concern for the consumers you are cheating.

It is the responsibility of the company to plan well enough that they can release their product at the appropriate time. The consumers should not be punished for the company's poor lack of foresight.

edit: And when the company doesn't treat the consumers right, the market forces shift against favor of the company, which is EXACTLY what you are seeing goign on in this thread. Consumers are getting pissed off at Sony.

Evander on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Filler, sony said the combination was not possible. Even with the wii controller doing it.

They could have not treated the customers like idiots. I'm not saying they should have delayed the launch, but goddam, the past 6 months of statements regarding rumble implied anyone who wants rumble was stuck in the past.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    plufim wrote: »
    Filler, sony said the combination was not possible. Even with the wii controller doing it.

They could have not treated the customers like idiots. I'm not saying they should have delayed the launch, but goddam, the past 6 months of statements regarding rumble implied anyone who wants rumble was stuck in the past.

Seriously, I've been curious what happened to this fucker:

bagdad_bob_large.gif

And now I know that Sony scooped him up right after he got the hell out of Baghdad, and is now running the Sony "Let's fuck with customers and see how many of the fuckers still buy our shit" division..

slurpeepoop on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Again, RECENTLY?

And even your examples are way different than this. Nintendo had a miscommunication internally, and as soon as it was all figured out they took responsibility for it and told the truth. This thing with Sony is them ACTIVELY lying to the consumer. Purposely.
    Recently? Fine, how about the "10 million sold" thing? Shipped, yeah but they certainly weren't sold. Or about the denials that they're revising the 360 when it pretty clearly is happening? Or the complete 180 degree turn they took on 1080p?

Companies do 180's on things all the time when it becomes a selling point for the opposition or it suddenly becomes cheaper to do. I mean, I find it annoying but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is indeed good news.

As for the miscommunication, Sony gets crucified for that all the time. I don't blame Nintendo for their miscommunication (though I really don't like Kaplan), just like I don't blame Sony when some idiot PR guy says the Killzone 2 trailer was in real-time.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    They're really revising the 360?

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

Again, RECENTLY?

Recently? Fine, how about the "10 million sold" thing? Shipped, yeah but they certainly weren't sold. Or about the denials that they're revising the 360 when it pretty clearly is happening? Or the complete 180 degree turn they took on 1080p?

Companies do 180's on things all the time when it becomes a selling point for the opposition or it suddenly becomes cheaper to do. I mean, I find it annoying but that doesn't take away from the fact that it is indeed good news.

As for the miscommunication, Sony gets crucified for that all the time. I don't blame Nintendo for their miscommunication (though I really don't like Kaplan), just like I don't blame Sony when some idiot PR guy says the Killzone 2 trailer was in real-time.

When Kaplan says something dumb, though, the rest of Nintendo doesn't stand behind it.

Sony's anti-rumble statements have been the party line since E3

Evander on
  • Options
    edited March 2007

That... was in their E3 keynote. One would assume they could be held accountable for what they say infront of thousands of members of the press, especially since it would have been prepared well in advance.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    HERE ARE SUPER HAPPY FUN QUOTES EH?
    Kaz Hirai wrote:
    …the vibration feature, which is a feedback feature, as compared to the motion sensing which is an input functionality…we decided that the input device is a lot more important that feedback.
    Kaz Hirai wrote:
    The issue is trying to isolate the vibration feature from the motion sensors. Is it technically feasible? Absolutely. But the balancing act that you need to do, is to be able to present the controller to the consumer at an affordable price. We have one controller in the box, but many consumers will want to go out and get an extra controller. To isolate the vibration from the sensing, if that means that the controllers are going to be so expensive, then we're doing the consumer a huge disservice.
    It seems like the folks at Immersion are looking to sort of negotiate through the press and try to make their case to us. But, I think from Sony's point of view, we have a design path that would enhance the experience for the gamers, and we're looking to move forward and not continue down the path that we did down before. But to better the experience, we've talked about how there's a potential for that rumble to interfere with the SIXAXIS controller.
    We have had no contact with this company and continue to have no plans to include FF [force feedback] in SIXAXIS.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I, for one, am glad Sony's fixing this fuckup. It's one of the fuckups with the PS3 that I've had a problem with since E3. Maybe they'll get around to fixing the other issues I have with it, in time? That would be a good thing.

You know what blew my mind about the whole Force Feedback thing? Was how Kojima Productions came out and essentially said, "WTF, Sony never told us they were taking force feedback out of the PS3 controller!?"

Good God. They could at least tell one of their most important developers, whose game had been making huge headlines in favor of the Playstation brand.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm betting that the developers behind MGS4 are going to be kinda pissed about this. Unless Sony has gotten better at communicating with developers they would have already taken out all the rumble stuff they were previously implementing.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm betting that the developers behind MGS4 are going to be kinda pissed about this. Unless Sony has gotten better at communicating with developers they would have already taken out all the rumble stuff they were previously implementing.

My mate working at Team Bondi (they're making LA Noir) finds out this sort of shit from the media well before sony. I'd hope the more important developers find out in advance, but... I wouldn't bet money on it. We all know about warhawk and tilt control.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    plufim wrote: »

That... was in their E3 keynote. One would assume they could be held accountable for what they say infront of thousands of members of the press, especially since it would have been prepared well in advance.
    They never said it was real-time during the keynote though, it was the PR discussions afterwards which brought all the confusion. Sony had pretty obviously not told their PR guys that it was a pre-rendered trailer and they sounded like it.

As for the other discussion, I can completely understand why developers find out about Sony settling with Immersion from the media, but I'd say some developers would find out when they actually implement the rumble back into the controller.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can see it now
    Sony wrote:
    Due to the changes made by global warming it has become possible to include rumble in our controllers. Everybody knows that when you warm an object up it expands, and now that we are living in a warmer climate logically, there is more space to jam more features in. This is what we like to call a "Next-gen" or "4D" climate, and is recorded in 1080p (well, at least some of it, some parts you'll only be able to view in 720p, but this is due to our foresight in realising everyone would want to play their games in their natural way.)

(Psst, it is true that the PS3 doesn't have a scaler and therefore if you want to play a game in 1080p that is normally 720p you're fucked, right? Or did I get the wrong idea from that 360/PS3 comparison interview that Microsoft did?)

Wezoin on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I doubt they were going to use it in a way different from MGS2/3 anyway, so it shouldn't be too big a deal. It'll just be fairly time consuming to put it in (as time consuming as rumble usually is to implement anyway).

Wezoin: It doesn't have it right now (though a 1080p tv will probably upscale a 720p signal anyway) but it probably will in the future. The latest SDK has horizontal scaling accessible to developers (which is half-way there), so I'd say vertical scaling won't be too far behind.

Unco-ordinated on