As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony blackballs Kotaku

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »
    That what I love most about this whole thing. Proof again that bullies will play nice if you stand up to them
    Are you serious? That is in no way, shape, or form an appropriate metaphor. Please think harder next time.
    I think a better analogy would be when one of your friends does something that pisses you off and you tell him to go fuck himself. Then a few hours later you realise you probably over-reacted and ring him back up.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Sounds like both people are trying to do their job. I would say sony handled this wrong though. Its out of control how much a company has to keep secret but at the same time also have leakes to keep people excited.

Its so much bullshit. I just want consoles to not suck and developers not to be asses to us and make polished turds.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    Willeth wrote: »
    That what I love most about this whole thing. Proof again that bullies will play nice if you stand up to them
    Are you serious? That is in no way, shape, or form an appropriate metaphor. Please think harder next time.
    I think a better analogy would be when one of your friends does something that pisses you off and you tell him to go fuck himself. Then a few hours later you realise you probably over-reacted and ring him back up.
    I think that is pretty much exactly right.

What everyone has to remember is that Kotaku and Sony are on the same side here. It's not like Kotaku is some muckraking source trying to inform the public about what's really going on, while Sony tries to cover up their devious plots.

Kotaku's trying to get traffic by releasing news, and Sony's trying to...get traffic by releasing news. All that happened here was Kotaku didn't wanna play by the rules Sony was used to, Sony tried to turn it around on them, and it's all a big clusterfuck.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Some days I have a hard time finding things to laugh at.

That is why I am glad Sony exists.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I can't believe they backed down.

Half the internet was laughing at them for a stupid decision, now even more are laughing at them for an even stupider decision. Sigh.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Got up and just discovered what went down while I was asleep today. Wow, just wow. One could say that Sony shot themselves in the foot, but I don't think that's possible. They've long since blown both of their feet clean off.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Half the internet was laughing at them for a stupid decision, now even more are laughing at them for an even stupider decision. Sigh.

Fixing a problem you just created is a dumb decision?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Destructoid have changed their banner again:

http://www.destructoid.com/

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Well, people were calling them asses for demanding they take the story down/not run it and threatening them in the first place. Now people are just saying they've got no balls because they didn't follow through, while everyone's praising Kotaku for having the balls to stand up to them.

It was a lose-lose situation, really.. Just... this now makes it two losses, not one. People should see it as Sony correcting a mistake and admitting they were wrong but honestly very few will. Most will just laugh at them.

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Well, people were calling them asses for demanding they take the story down/not run it and threatening them in the first place. Now people are just saying they've got no balls because they didn't follow through, while everyone's praising Kotaku for having the balls to stand up to them.

It was a lose-lose situation, really.. Just... this now makes it two losses, not one. People should see it as Sony correcting a mistake and admitting they were wrong but honestly very few will. Most will just laugh at them.
    Except now people will probably forget about this. Really everything's back to normal and this episode has ended. If they contined to give Kotaku the shaft people would be constantly reminded (probably by Kotaku) that Sony's just a big meanie.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007

But it would be better for Sony to continue being jackasses.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Agentflit wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Hamju wrote: »
    I wonder, is anyone keeping track of all the shit Sony does? Like, is there some masterlist somewhere of every evil and/or stupid thing Sony's done in the last five years? I'm just curious...

There actually is one floating around on a forum somewhere, though I don't know if it still exists. Also, I think that a forumer here was maintaining a wiki for a while.

It was the subject of a thread here earlier this year.
    Wow. That's... that's quite the list.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Options
    chaossoldierchaossoldier Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Except now people will probably forget about this. Really everything's back to normal and this episode has ended. If they contined to give Kotaku the shaft people would be constantly reminded (probably by Kotaku) that Sony's just a big meanie.

Indeed. The status quo has returned.

This can only mean that the Upright Citizens Brigade must return to action.

chaossoldier on
    stopit.gifsophia.gifrotj.png
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Still doesn't stop me from buying a PS3. A system/Company with a PROVEN track record of publishing JRPG's/SPRG's gets my vote and my cash rather than a system who just gives my genre the barebones.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't understand why people are supporting Kotaku on this one. They are, by far, the gaming site with the least integrity out there on the web right now. Why the hell do gamers even want them around?

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are supporting Kotaku on this one. They are, by far, the gaming site with the least integrity out there on the web right now. Why the hell do gamers even want them around?

I've heard a few people say this, but I don't get it. Kotaku is just a group of people posting about gaming culture. They don't have an agenda, and they have as much "integrity" as any other gaming blog.

Marlor on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I want them around as part of one of the many sites I look up to see whats what on a particular issue, so I can see as many sides of an issue as possible to try and get through the bullshit. Once I have seen as many of them as I can find, I then think about it and try to make my decision. Good, bad, ugly, integrity, who gives a shit. I trust no one site and never will.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Two things I'd do here, were I Sony

1. Kiss and make up (check)
    2. Quit trying to market on the down low. That means no third party blogs, no alliwantforxmas, no nothing. You're going to do it - you do it through the main stream media and let the blogs pick the carcass. Cut em off completely.

They don't have anything to gain from these people; in turn they do have everything to lose. The key here is to stop sticking your dick into the same meat grinder over and over.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Threepio wrote: »
    They don't have anything to gain from these people; in turn they do have everything to lose. The key here is to stop sticking your dick into the same meat grinder over and over.

I disagree.

Kotaku has been promoting Motorstorm and God of War 2 pretty heavily after getting their evaluation copies. This publicity is the sort of thing Sony gains from working with Kotaku.

Sure, Kotaku has also been posting Sony-related rumours, but they would be doing that whether Sony provided them with pre-release games or not.

In any case, Crecente would be getting pre-release games, since he's a gaming reporter for a newspaper. They could stop him from posting about them on Kotaku, but I don't see how that would help Sony.

Marlor on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DigDug2000 wrote: »

I'd much rather live in a world without Kotaku.

But in this case it's a lesser of two evils thing.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    2. Quit trying to market on the down low. That means no third party blogs, no alliwantforxmas, no nothing. You're going to do it - you do it through the main stream media and let the blogs pick the carcass. Cut em off completely.
    I would not throw "alliwantforxmas" in with anything else. That campaign and Microsoft's "whatswrongwithyou" campaign are pretty fucking stupid IMO.

But are you trying to throw threespeech and other sites into that? Personally, I see nothing wrong with dealing with them, especially if a blog like threespeech is going to get us information we otherwise wouldn't have gotten (like Phil stating that 1000 PAL PS2 games will be compatible at PS3 PAL launch). I may hate Kotaku for the sheer stupidity and rumour-mongering that exists there but they still serve a purpose.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    threespeech isn't Sony? I stand corrected.

The Kotakus and Gizmodos of the world are just a little too big for their own boots right now. Their slipshod brand of journalism is painful to read - and it seems that they're even more guilty of giving favourable reviews for product where they receive advance copies.

These folks live to quote PR reps out of context, to reduce thought out answers to single sentence soundbites. Sony needs to get back to basics. Start with the customer. Find humility. Think about games. Those three things could make the world of difference.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    hambonehambone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

And yet it only goes back a year.

hambone on
    Just a bunch of intoxicated pigeons.
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Out of curiosity, where should I be going for gaming news? I always liked the blog sites. They're basically people who have time to find all this crap, which I thought was exactly what I wanted, but apparently this was wrong.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Hey, don't let my preference guide you. It's precisely that, my preference. I hate their writing style, you like it - no biggie.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I guess I'm the only one siding with Sony on this - but then I usually take this side when it comes down to newsmaker vs. media.

I dunno. I see this hurting Kotaku way more than Sony.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    etoychestetoychest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, where should I be going for gaming news? I always liked the blog sites. They're basically people who have time to find all this crap, which I thought was exactly what I wanted, but apparently this was wrong.

You should read me at Gamasutra, with a dash of Snackbar.

Speaking of which, I need to finish cobbling together an interview for Gama for tomorrow. When did it get so late?

etoychest on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Hey, don't let my preference guide you. It's precisely that, my preference. I hate their writing style, you like it - no biggie.
    Well, I'm just wondering -- what's better out there?

EDIT: Oh, answered.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    BushidoGamerBushidoGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I prefer gametab.com personally. It's a meta site like gamerankings or metacritic except it covers news from most of the major sites and if you don't like their choices, you can customize it almost however you want. You can preview news by hovering the mouse over some links which is also nice. The only problem is that you can't add sites like Google Reader (unless I'm mistaken cuz I just started using both).

BushidoGamer on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

I always just use G&T. If something is newsworthy it usually gets a thread here. Why trudge through the blogs when I can just wait for others to do it for me?

Also, if someone could bring me a candy bar I'd appreciate it.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I just have a nice selection of sites in my RSS reader. I use it to browse all my news.

I've got a big selection of sites there, but only a handful of gaming sites: Penny Arcade, Kotaku, 4CR, Next Generation, GamesIndustry.biz, ArsTechnica Opposable Thumbs, PALGN, Evil Avatar.

Unfortunately, a lot of other decent sites don't use RSS, so I only check them out occasionally.

Marlor on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    hambone wrote: »

Closer to two, actually. The biggest Sony outrage was before the PS3.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    So, I guess it's all over now, but I have to say that it is nice to see that Sony actually did the right thing in the end. That were fucking moronic in the begining, yeah, but at this point I'm not even sure they can help it.

Here's hoping that this is the begining of a new, kinder, gentler Sony, who realizes that they don't exist in a vacuum. I'd love to be able to buy their products without expecting to regret the purchase for some reason.

Evander on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Captain K wrote: »

I always just use G&T. If something is newsworthy it usually gets a thread here. Why trudge through the blogs when I can just wait for others to do it for me?

Also, if someone could bring me a candy bar I'd appreciate it.

I do this too. If I do find something that somehow sparks my interest despite my general apathy though, I immediately check as many sites as I can.

Tell you what, I'll eat a candy bar and think of you.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    threespeech isn't Sony? I stand corrected.

The Kotakus and Gizmodos of the world are just a little too big for their own boots right now. Their slipshod brand of journalism is painful to read - and it seems that they're even more guilty of giving favourable reviews for product where they receive advance copies.

These folks live to quote PR reps out of context, to reduce thought out answers to single sentence soundbites. Sony needs to get back to basics. Start with the customer. Find humility. Think about games. Those three things could make the world of difference.
    From the wikipedia on Ramp Industry:
    threespeech
    As part of the marketing for PlayStation 3, Ramp Industry set up an 'independent' blog called threespeech, which apparrently aims to perform a similar role as Major Nelson does for the Xbox 360. On the website, Ramp states:

This is threespeech... threespeech isn't part of PlayStation, but it does get to speak to PlayStation. You could say we're 'semi official'.

However, the blog's independent status has been called into question a number of times by gaming news websites such as Kotaku.

As for where you should get your news, I usually just search around the Penny Arcade Forums, NeoGAF or 1UP. There isn't much that isn't posted on one of them.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    hambone wrote: »

Some of it's pretty retarded though. I mean, OH NOES I HAVE TO UPDATE STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX!

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    If you're really looking for gaming news...? I've caught Kotaku more than a few times posting a headline/story that, upon digging a little deeper, is complete bullshit. If you want gaming "news" go to IGN or Gamestop or some other news site. If you want rumors and speculation... well I find forums are the best place for that. If you just want a bunch of information collected for you, I use an RSS feed to a yahoo pipe, and some other RSS feeds to some stock sites that gather business info. The pipe provides me with bullshit blogs. The stock news is usually bullshit analyst guessing.

I think sites like Kotaku just confuse me. They act like they're a news site. They apparently receive pre-release copies of stuff, special information, and exclusive interviews with companies like a news site would. Yet when they're called for posting made-up shit, they all scream "we're just a blog! hahah! we can write what we want!" I'm with Sony on this one. If they just a blog that has no accountability for what they write, then they should be treated like one. If they're a genuine news site, then they should get their act together and be one. No more of this wishy washy trying to be both at once.

Hell, the PA front page isn't much more than a blog, but at least Gabe and Tycho have the integrity to stand behind what they write.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    WHich site has that asshole with that Russian sounding name who says retarded shit all the time which I assume has to be for traffic or otherwise he's just the biggest douche on the planet?

JJ on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Seriously guys I got blackballs right now and I think I smell the faint scent of almonds.

OH I should probably say something relevent to the thread.

Maybe the remaining sane person at Sony said "blackball? NO DON'T DO IT!" and was sadly executed after his idea was put into motion.

Furu on
  • Options
    JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    HCN is supposed to smell like almonds, but then you die.

JJ on