The Carrion Crown Act 1: The Haunting of Harrowstone, a Dungeons & Dragons (4E) adventure for
five first level characters
This is a PbP game.
I, TiamatZ, will be your DM. Sheets are on myth-weavers (or Orokos). Dice rolls are on IC (or once again Orokos). For now, this is an IC thread. Post OOC discussions/comments/questions/etc in the OOC thread to avoid clutter and confusion.
I expect each of you to post at least once a day (except maybe on weekends [Saturdays and Sundays]) when you're able (though if it’s your turn, by all means post during the weekend; I’ll just post the updated map by Monday or so). If you'll be away for an extended period of time, let me know so that I (or you) can make arrangements to keep the game moving while you're gone (or postpone it if the majority of the party is unavailable). I'm a level-headed person, and I won't kick you out for missing posts here and there. That being said, if you flake consistently you'll be removed from the party.
For combat, I will provide the HP, AC and other defences
(as well as any special bonuses monsters receive e.g. +2 AC when standing next to each other) of the enemies present and you shall roll attack rolls. If you hit, roll damage and work that into your post. Also I colour coded the monsters (makes it easier to work with, since most of you are newbies to the PbP format) by their border; red are minions, green are normal monsters, yellow are elites and purple are solos. So if you pop a daily on a red bordered monster you are going to feel really silly because it shouldn't last more than a single hit. Everyone will post their IC actions, with the rolls and results in SPOILER
I will use TalonRazor’s
idea (from the Legend of Novus PbP game). You must declare what you are doing in ORANGE
text. The rolls must be in RED BOLD
text and linked to the IC (or Orokos) roll. At the bottom of the post, still in spoiler tags, they shall post who is up next, in brackets and size 3
font that is GREEN
, and who is on deck. Here is the template:
"Johnny Law swings his mighty fist, smacking the honest citizen in the face."
Standard Action: Basic Melee Attack Move Action: Stand there
Attack Roll [1d20+4 = 16+4 = 20] Damage Roll [1d20+10 = 1+10 = 11]
[Up Next: Bobby Joe][On Deck: Chuck Norris] (or red for enemies)
For immediate interrupts, remember to post them with any criteria to follow in orange
as well. If one of your powers has an immediate interrupt ability, state that power as well as when to use it e.g. when a monster strikes me, I want to use power X (where X is the power with immediate interrupt, such as Wizard’s Shield utility power, or the Fighter’s No Opening Utility power).
Also link to OOC thread: here
The primary goal here is for us all to have fun. I’m (mostly) new to PbP DMing and you’re all also (probably) new to PbP games, so we’re all noobs here. If you're not having fun for some reason, please let me know. Alright, now that that's all out of the way, let's go roll some dice and kill some monsters!
Act 1: The Haunting of Harrowstone
" You are hereby sentenced to live the remainder of your short life in Harrowstone, which, I hasten to add, is a blessing compared to the extent of your crimes and the suffering of your victims. There you will reside in the misery of your thoughts until such time as you are drawn, hanged, and quartered. May the gods have no mercy on your blighted soul."
—The final sentencing of Vance Saetressle (“The Lopper”) by Jurisdeclaris Axenris the Third.
Prologue: Funeral for a friend
Chapter 1: Strange days in Ravengro
The Cast (AKA the party):
as Airyc Smithsson, the Half-Orc Slayer
- Big, dumb, and ugly: the three cornerstones of the Bodyguard profession. Airyc Smithsson had these three attributes and used them effectively the past five years in service to Professor Lorrimor. While visiting with his father in between adventures with Lorrimor, Airyc was notified by courier that the Professor was now confined to the past-tense and that Airyc was to attend the proceedings. Fueled by a mix of anger and shame that his childhood hero had died in his absence, the Half-Orc set out for Ustalav.
as Cranea Treesong, Hamadryad Witch
- Travelling to the town of Ravengro with her trusty Sprite Familiar and a mourning heart, Cranea Treesong, the beautiful Witch of Shudderwood, has left her isolated grove to pay her respects to her long-time friend Professor Petros Lorrimor. Still shocked by the news of his death, Cranea wishes to discover the means by which Petros met his end. While she hopes that it was peaceful, she cannot help but feel that there may be more to the situation than there seems. Although still a bit naive, regardless of Petros' attempts to "wisen her up", those who would seek to take advantage of this fair traveler invite the wrath of the witch.
as Drellethenne Y'sthrennelle, the Revenant Eladrin Fighter
- After a fateful expedition with Professor Lorrimor, Drell found that he was, mostly, dead. Bewildered by his inexplicable survival into death, he has wandered many lands, avoiding graveyards and priests. Though Ustalav is the last place he would visit, the Professor's summons has stirred something in him that he hasn't felt since he was alive.
as Kledge Black, the Human Artificer
- Smelling slightly of burned hair and missing part of an eyebrow and full of ideas about new ways to do something, Kledge unfortunately has inventors block. Hoping to find inspiration in a new setting, he sets off from his family home and smithy with his pack of tools.
as Valagard Marnasdóttir, the Gold Dwarven Cleric of Ioun
- Born to an unknown father and a mother-turned-necromancer, Valagard was liberated by adventurers as a young girl and subsequently raised by Iounites. Under their tutelage, she grew to be an able cleric with inclinations both scholarly and martial, and it was in this capacity that she came to know and befriend Professor Lorrimor, one of the very few individuals who understood her refusal to renounce her unwholesome heritage...whose shadow lingers on her to this very day.
Fallen in Battle :
as Darrius LeCroix ,the Human Ranger
- Darrius LeCroix (or just LeCroix to most) has traveled to Ravenglo to pay his respects to his old adventuring companion Lorrimor. After serving as a sentry in Karcau miltia, LeCroix joined the good professor and served as his scout and guide on several lucrative quests. Never good with money, LeCroix quickly gambled his small fortune away. Penniless again, but ever affable, LeCroix approaches Ravengro, reminiscent of more exciting times spent chasing ancient artifacts with Professor Lorrimor. Darrius went missing in the nearby forests of Ravengro after the Professor's funeral. His fate remains uncertain...
Orokos/MythWeavers Campaign name (this you use when you use the Dice Roller):
-Remain for 30 days in Ravengro to fulfill Professor Lorrimor's will (29 days remaining)
-Find out how Professor Lorrimor died
- Attend the Professor’s Funeral (Completed)
To be unlocked...