As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Volunteering for Deployment

juggerbotjuggerbot NebraskaRegistered User regular
edited March 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm in an MP unit in the Army Reserves. I have been thinking about volunteering for deployment because:

1. I want to go.
2. I've been trying to transfer units for over a year now, hopefully if I'm gone for a while they will be more akin to letting me leave.
3. My unit just got back a year and a half ago, and they are not on the "schedule" do be deployed again, so I don't want to risk not getting to go.
4. I don't want to be deployed with an MP unit.

So I would like some advice on how to handle it. I've heard that if you volunteer, you can basically choose when you go and who you go with. If so, who should I go with? Iraq or Afghanistan? Either place, I want to see the whole country, not just sit in Kuwait for 12 months. I was thinking Trans. or Ordnance? Active or Reserve unit? Any help would be great.

My MOS is 42L (admin) but I can reclass if they allow it.

juggerbot on

• Options
    StephenB.2006StephenB.2006 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I'll ask around and get back to you. I'm not military myself but my area has more people in the various services than pretty much anywhere else on earth.

StephenB.2006 on
    An object at rest cannot be stopped!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I am shameful for the bump, but this is kind of important. For me.

You, know, so I don't get fucked over by the government I have sworn to protect. If you can imagine such a scenario.

juggerbot on
  • Options
    Joseph StalinJoseph Stalin Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Why don't you talk to the people who handle vonulntary deployment about your options?

Joseph Stalin on
    Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Workingmen of all countries, unite!
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Because at Retention, it looks good to their superiors to have a lot of Soldiers volunteering. They already fucked me over by not telling me the whole story about the Direct Commission program. I almost got kicked out of ROTC for it.

juggerbot on