As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Sleeping with subordinates is also a big no-no. Shepard's command style is more Bond than "By the Book", so it's not unusual when his command starts acting out. It's actually the reason why there are rules against fraternization.

• Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Has it occurred to you that the "Aliens from the animals" line could be literally true?

I mean if I saw an Elcor before it talked to me I'd probably assume it was a volus pack animal.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    But...you have pretty much the same exact conversation with that officer on Eden Prime.

And she falls in line in the same exact way.

>_>...I think sometimes I'm the only one who remembers the events of the first game properly.

Oh, I know. I always respond with how her talking to me, her CO, in such a manner is unacceptable and unprofessional.

EDIT: As in, I select that in game response.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ashley will pretty much say it whether you like it or not. Unsurprisingly, walking up to someone in a military environment and saying "Hello."--which is literally all you have to do--is not free permission for Ashley to say what she's apparently thinking. I don't know how it's reflected in the United States, but when I conscripted, it was into a force where sergeants aren't allowed to stare at officers and accuse them of wanting to jump into another person's pants and hump them for the excitement of the diplomatic and political gain. Not without pretty severe reprocussions. Hell, officers weren't allowed to do it sergeants either.

Maybe it's different in the United States, where ME draws its inspiration. In the meantime, it seems more like a "Huh, well that's very interesting, Sergeant. I hope you like scrubbing space toilets for the rest of your career, because that's what you're going to do now" type of situation. Made even worse by the fact that it wasn't actually happening...

Also, isn't Liara outside the military command structure? She's not, for example, a Alliance soldier or officer. She's basically a "guest" on a ship, and civilian party of interest.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    So I had this crazy theory a month or so ago

Hear me out

All of Bioware's games take place in the same universe

In ferelden, what we call "magic" and "lyrium" is just unrefined element zero and people with latent biotic abilities.

Jedis are also biotics, and the midichlorians are a species of bacteria that has evolved the ability to excrete element zero as a waste product of their metabolism, and as a result people with the Force are actually just able to harness their "natural" biotic powers.

Omni-tools are analogs of lightsabers

Yes I will ignore all lore that contradicts this because I want Shepard and Hawke and Revan in the same game

Holy shit. This explains everything.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    If someone would be so kind would they bring the video up. Because I would like to see the context in which it was said.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I think we're also overlooking Ashley's hilarious accusations as to Shepard's sex life. I don't know how it's reflected in the United States, but when I conscripted, it was into a force where sergeants aren't allowed to stare at officers and accuse them of wanting to jump into another person's pants and hump them for the excitement of the diplomatic and political gain. Not without pretty severe reprocussions. Hell, officers weren't allowed to do it sergeants either.

Maybe it's different in the United States, where ME draws its inspiration.

Well, it's not like that at all in real life. Obviously it's a game (in the current military, an active duty officer cannot fraternize with enlisted personel romatically). It's, oddly enough, the weirdass ranks that confuse me. Ashley talks about being a marine but she is a chief. A navy rank. Shepard is a commander, also a navy rank but was a marine. Kaiden is a navy man but has the rank of major? It's all over the place. Not a big deal of course, just an odd decision.

• Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    So apparently coming off of anti-axiety medication can cause some wild spikes of emotion. :oops:
    Re-ordered, but this time the PC version, since I can run it at least 60 FPS. I dunno if I could take how choppy 30FPS feels to me anymore on my new TV :(

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Gunnery Sergeant is a marine rank. Pretty sure Gunnery Chief is still a colloquial way of saying that.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Actually. I would say it is like that in real life.

My brother was in the army and he told me a bunch of stories about his experience. Some of his officers were really professional and you treated them as such(he usually hated those guys), and some were cool(and he treated them as such).

He was even active in the Middle East and he told me how you have your field officers who are generally pretty casual, and you have your other officers who don't really do anything and are just where they are because of their rank. I forgot what you called them POGs or something. Basically they were the guys who had it easy while everyone else did all the work.

I mean it's almost like they're people with different attitudes and motivations and as such don't act exactly how you would expect them to.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Talk to me about this Kingdoms of Amalur demo and specifically how it unlocks ME3 content. Is it worth my time?

Man, fuck that demo.

I tried loading it up, it hung after the opening cinematic. Killed it, loaded it again, it told me I couldn't connect to the EA servers, so I could either try again or opt out. I tried clicking X because I didn't want either option, but it did nothing. Killed it, loaded again, hung on loading again, killed it and went back to the ME3 demo.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    No kidding? Because I thought it was almost as though they're adults in a professional environment who are expected to behave like adults and not say the first thing that enters their head like they're twelve, as well as respect a pre-established hierarchy that's the cornerstone of that institution.

I guess harassment is more tolerated in institutions you're not literally forced into by law. In my time in the ROCA, if a master sergeant said that to a first-lieutenant (much less whatever the equivalent of Shepard's rank is), the lieutenant would have been within their authority to treat the sergeant like the asshole he was, and possibly obligated depending on the number of witnesses to demonstrate that asshole behavior and insubordination is usually discouraged, normally though the use of a punishment. Banging other lieutenants? Also discouraged, for similar reasons.

EDIT: In retrospect, my army? Way less fun (or insubordinate, I guess) than other armies.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Wait so, to get another thing in ME3, I have to actually play the Kingdom of Amalur demo? I downloaded it and started it, got something for that, but there's actually another thing for playing a certain amount of time?

Yeah you have to finish it to get the gun, which means playing through the intro and then letting the 45 mins of free play time pass. You don't have to actually play for those 45 minutes if you want to go read a book or whatever and let it count down (but a popup that pauses the game comes up at the 20 minute left mark).
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Talk to me about this Kingdoms of Amalur demo and specifically how it unlocks ME3 content. Is it worth my time?

Reckoner Armor, makes you beefier and shoot harder!
    472px-Reckoner_Knight_Armor.png

Chakram Launcher, from what I can tell it's an AR with explosive rounds!
    753px-Chakram_Launcher.png

you decide, brosef!
    As a corollary, the KoA demo is actually kind of fun. You do need to "finish" it, though, which means letting a 45-minute timer run out. If you wanted the ME3 gear but don't like KoA, you could always finish the intro section (which is short) and then when you get to the "free play" part just walk away for a bit. You'll want to come back after 25 minutes or so, because there will be a pop-up telling you that you only have 20 minutes left. Come back 20 minutes later and the ME3 stuff will be unlocked.

edit - aaaand wilting beat me to it.

welp... looks like I'll be downloading that demo again if I deleted it.

KoA is a fun game though.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Incoming megaton announcement: Mass Effect isn't realistic. Shocking.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    No kidding? Because I thought it was almost as though they're adults in a professional environment who are expected to behave like adults and not say the first thing that enters their head like they're twelve, as well as respect a pre-established hierarchy that's the cornerstone of that institution.

What I'm saying is that people say stuff that wouldn't be considered professional all the time. And yeah, for the most part Ashley is a very professional individual. I mean...people are people, they aren't robots. And I can't say I've ever been in a field where someone was 100% professional, 100% of the time.

That's also why I actually want to see the part in ME1 where Ashley accuses Shepard of this to refresh my memory. Because I know a lot of times, people will make a situation sound x10 times worse than it actually was to try and prove a point.

Dragkonias on
  • Options

What I'm saying is that people say stuff that wouldn't be considered professional all the time. And yeah, for the most part Ashley is a very professional individual. I mean...people are people, they aren't robots. And I can't say I've ever been in a field where someone was 100% professional, 100% of the time.

That's also why I actually want to see the part in ME1 where Ashley accuses Shepard of this to refresh my memory. Because I know a lot of times, people will make a situation sound x10 times worse than it actually was to try and prove a point.

Or in the case of Ashley, 100x worse :rotate:

• Options

Bullshit. Arch just proved Mass Effect fields explain everything.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    jefe414 wrote: »

Or in the case of Ashley, 100x worse :rotate:

Not that professional. Considering "Not yelling whatever's on your mind" is actually one of the easiest things in a military environment to appearing professional. It's a little bit above "keeping your boots tied" I'd say.

But we're totally allowed to judge it as such, because it's fun. :)

Synthesis on
  • Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Is this the conversation people are talking about? I'm not seeing any problems here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssIxgwFyu54

• Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    hmm, wonder if I should try for the new york copies tomorrow. I don't have an iphone, but I suppose maybe I could turn on a data plan for my ipad just for one day...

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    Yeah...I mean...what a ranting bitch.

All asking politely to vent her concerns and shit.

• Options
    Clearly Space Hitler and should be airlocked for her insubordination.

This is why Shepard nuked her.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Z0re wrote: »
    DON'T FORGET ABOUT NAVIGATOR PRESSLY YOU FUCKS

Pressly hated aliens

aliens killed him for it

also computers, computers also killed him, though possibly for their own reasons

Pressley hated aliens getting free reign on a classified Alliance Navy vessel. He then tells Shep, "You're the CO. If you're OK with it, so am I."

He'll always have the deck and the memorial was placed where his datapad fell. Suck it haters. Better be a plaque on the Normandy.

I'll be honest, the first time I read Pressley's journal I thought it was Ashley's because he didn't really seem racist to me in ME1. But his journals start off pretty bad on that front.

I'm glad he came around.

And then he almost immediately died.

Also, anyone else think its really fucking weird that the Turians helped the alliance with the Normandy and then... nothing. None of them are on-board. I would have liked some dedicated Turian military types in the first game, maybe an asshole navigator to annoy Joker or someone who could annoy Pressley and then go on to be bros with him before they both died.

It would have helped reinforce that working together is pretty cool.
    I'm more of the opinion that ME3 will show us the Turian-version Normandy.

Government: Why build one when you can build two at twice the cost?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote: »
    Z0re wrote: »
    DON'T FORGET ABOUT NAVIGATOR PRESSLY YOU FUCKS

Pressly hated aliens

aliens killed him for it

also computers, computers also killed him, though possibly for their own reasons

Pressley hated aliens getting free reign on a classified Alliance Navy vessel. He then tells Shep, "You're the CO. If you're OK with it, so am I."

He'll always have the deck and the memorial was placed where his datapad fell. Suck it haters. Better be a plaque on the Normandy.

I'll be honest, the first time I read Pressley's journal I thought it was Ashley's because he didn't really seem racist to me in ME1. But his journals start off pretty bad on that front.

I'm glad he came around.

And then he almost immediately died.

Also, anyone else think its really fucking weird that the Turians helped the alliance with the Normandy and then... nothing. None of them are on-board. I would have liked some dedicated Turian military types in the first game, maybe an asshole navigator to annoy Joker or someone who could annoy Pressley and then go on to be bros with him before they both died.

It would have helped reinforce that working together is pretty cool.
    I'm more of the opinion that ME3 will show us the Turian-version Normandy.

Government: Why build one when you can build two at twice the cost?

Posted from my orbiting space station

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    I wonder if the Destiny Ascension has a part to play. If you saved the council, you also save that ship. It's a pretty big ship.

• Options
    I'm actually glad I saved the DA because maybe this time we'll actually get to see it do something.

And it better be awesome.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    I completely forgot about the DA. Too bad that was an easy choice for me...

• Options
    jdarksun wrote: »
    hmm, wonder if I should try for the new york copies tomorrow. I don't have an iphone, but I suppose maybe I could turn on a data plan for my ipad just for one day...
    If the winds are blowing south, I'm totally going after it. Even though I'm pretty sure they're only handing out 360 and PS3 copies. If I get one, I could just sent it to -Tal.
    ...the PS3 version. :twisted:

hmm, I'm thinking central park....

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    I wonder if the Destiny Ascension has a part to play. If you saved the council, you also save that ship. It's a pretty big ship.

NO!
    It's all about the writings and dogtags! Each collected item saves 1 billion lives!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    If the winds are blowing south, I'm totally going after it. Even though I'm pretty sure they're only handing out 360 and PS3 copies. If I get one, I could just sent it to -Tal.
    ...the PS3 version. :twisted:

hmm, I'm thinking central park....
    With wind coming in from the northeast, I'd bet something on Staten Island.

Also, booooo to not being able to get the PC version.
    Prize for each Regional Launch: Each winner will receive a copy of Mass Effect 3 "Space Edition" for the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3...

How are they going to handle the different editions anyway? Do they have someone there from the company to intercept it and they give you one or the other or are you stuck with whatever lands?

Alucard6986 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Yeah...I mean...what a ranting bitch.

All asking politely to vent her concerns and shit.

Hey, man. You know what happened when Earth Hitler asked politely to vent his frustrations at the world summit back in nineteen thirty six. The entire continent of Australia sank into the ocean. That was pretty bad. This was worse.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    So, apparently they've found the first ballon. And its trapped 150ft up in a tree.

They've got 10 people trying to get at it so I have no idea how they're going to decide who gets it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    The one who shoots the rest and leaves them for the bears gets it.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    So, apparently they've found the first ballon. And its trapped 150ft up in a tree.

They've got 10 people trying to get at it so I have no idea how they're going to decide who gets it.

One guy gets it, puts it on Ebay. Split the profits ten ways.

• Options

One guy gets it, puts it on Ebay. Split the profits ten ways.

Truly the best option.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Regarding the Kingdoms of Amalur demo, yeah, I actually found it pretty fun. Was kind of surprised how much I enjoyed the combat.

Also, playing through ME2 again, I was actually a little disappointed by just how few Paragon interrupts there seem to be in the game. There were a TON of Renegade interrupts - usually ones that would have actually been beneficial (killing dudes with explosions or whatever instead of a long, drawn-out fight, etc). I wish the Paragon interrupts were as useful. Most of them tended to be giving people hugs or whatever (and a handful of "pushing the gun away at the last second" ones).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Trivia contest. It's in the rules.

-Renegade Interrupt- I make my own rules. [Headbutts other people]

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Trivia contest. It's in the rules.

Rank the following Mass Effect characters by age, from youngest to oldest counted in Earth years.

Shepard
    Thane
    Wrex
    Liara
    Joker
    Miranda
    Anderson
    Garrus
    Jack
    Udina

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    My favorite Paragon response is with the Omega Elcor merchant. If you are nice and paragon, you only threaten to break his legs.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Joker, Jack, Shepard, Miranda, Anderson, Udina, Garrus, Liara, Thane, Wrex. Am I close?