As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dual Monitors and the Taskbar

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've got Windows 7 and two monitors. What's the best solution to get the taskbar on both so anything on the left monitor shows up on the left monitor and anything on the right monitor shows up on the right, etc? I used to use Ultramon, is that still the best solution for this kinda thing?

Twitch Streaming basically all week
SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
SniperGuy on

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What video card are you using? If it's anything ATI 6xxx, you can go into ATI Catalyst and group the two monitors together and use ATI Eyefinity.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/amd-eyefinity-technology/how-to/Pages/faqs.aspx

Alternatively, you can extend the desktop in the system resolution options, but the taskbar would only come up on the preferred monitor.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    For my money I just have the task bar vertical on the left edge of the 'main' screen, and the shared edge being the opposite edge of the main screen. Then I can swap screens quickly while keeping the task bar out of the way of accidental cursor bumping. But I'm weird.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I'm not certain how that eyefinity thing works. That seems overly complicated for my needs. I have a Radeon 4850 HD I believe anyway.

• BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    I see. Eyefinity is a newer feature, and your 4850 cannot use it. It is a feature that enables you to essentially 'group' monitors to act as a single monitor, so that you get higher resolutions in games and the like.

Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    If Eyefinity is too complicated then I think you're lost. But if you want to give it a go anyway then there is Hydravision for ATI cards, including older ones, which pretty much lets you do all you need - I use it on Windows 8 so it should work fine with Windows 7 as well.

To get Hydravision simply go to the AMD website a use their driver/software page. It's an optional extra thing one downloads on their driver page.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • SinterSinter Registered User regular
    There's a simple program that does exactly what you're looking to do: UltraMon.

http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/
    (not free, unfortunately, but they do have a 30-day trial)

It also supports some other features such as having different wallpapers on each monitor.

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    Some alternatives, think I've heard good things of Zbar, but I use Ultramon.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Zbar is perfect! And free! I liked Ultramon, but it has a lot of features I don't need. And BlindZen, I didn't say it was too complicated for me, I said it is overly complicated for my needs. Zbar appears to be lightweight, tiny, and has plenty of customization. Perfect! Thanks!