As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Jet Set Radio] is back. I think just peed myself.

• Kyoka SuigetsuKyoka Suigetsu Odin gave his left eye for knowledge. I would give far more Registered User regular
    Fucking finally. This has been coming to XBLA for roughly two years now.

• Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    At long last! A release date!

September 19th sure seems like a long way off, though. And it doesn't really seem like a "Summer" release. But I'm not complaining!

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    At long last! A release date!

September 19th sure seems like a long way off, though. And it doesn't really seem like a "Summer" release. But I'm not complaining!

Summer runs until September 21st.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Fucking finally. This has been coming to XBLA for roughly two years now.

I'm pretty sure that prior to a few months ago, there was no official word on JSR on XBLA, so it was firmly in the territory of rumor. Being annoyed at Sega for taking 2 years to satisfy a rumor seems a bit much.

• Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    Well, I'll be waiting that extra time for the Vita version, I guess. Hopefully that delay doesn't destroy a lot of sales it could've gotten and convince Sega that they don't have to do anything with the system.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    So this is out for PS+ members

Any good?

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Reviews are along the lines of "if you were a die hard fan before and can still look past the touchy controls and awful collision, have a ball."

I'll pick it up on Steam next week. :D

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DeviousRakunDeviousRakun Registered User regular
    I don't know about any other versions, but from what I've played so far the PS3 version isn't stellar. It drops frames often and any hits I take make the game fall off a cliff. I love these games though and I would buy it no matter what, but I figured it should be at least said. That said, it looks better then ever has before and I'm loving every second of it.

edited September 2012
    E: Double post, sorry about that.

DeviousRakun on
    Ouch, yeah

The reviews for this game are harsh

I wonder what I'll think coming into it fresh, having never played a Jet Set game before

Reviews saying that the controls aren't that responsive (and weren't in the original) don't make me hopeful

The controls... are very floaty and there's a slight delay between the controller and the game that sadly, I'm actually getting used to playing against.

While the game looks better, it really makes me want to go back to the playing JSRF and if you don't find Jet Set Radio fun, I'd really recommend atleast trying Future in well... the future, because that game is a far better experience.

In my opinion, anyways.

I wonder what I'll think coming into it fresh, having never played a Jet Set game before
    Well, I bought this game last night. Obviously, I cannot provide an unbiased opinion to the uninitiated. However, I can say that the game was a demo+unlock, so it's pretty likely that there will be a demo when it comes out for the rest of PS3 owners on the 18th. And of course, there will be a trial for the 360 version the day after that.

Uh

So this is out on XBLA

But you can only purchase it

No trial

Isn't that against XBLA regulations?

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    is it an XBLA title? i know RE4 HD got around it by being games on demand

Yep, orange Arcade label

It's apparently been fixed. I already bought this game when it was released on PS+, but I was curious how the 360 port was. I played the trail a few hours ago.

I am curious is the 360 version has the ... choppy camera rotation that the PS3 has in some areas.

So coming to this for the first time in 2012, it's...very not fun

Really sluggish controls being the biggest offender, but also the gameplay seems barebones in the way that a lot of Sega games like NiGHTs and Crazy Taxi just do. Also I'm probably alone in this, but the soundtrack was really grating on me

It seems odd to me that Sega keeps gussying up all their old games in ways that aren't lazy at all, actually taking their time with them like they did this, Daytona USA, and the upcoming NiGHTs, but for all the modernization they try to bring to it, there just isn't any hiding the fact that there simply isn't a lot to do in these games.

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    This game is just like I remembered, but prettier. And with trophies. I'm more than happy.

I need to look up how you unlock everything, I remember there was a certain way you needed to clear the stages...

uyvfOQy.png
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    This game is still one of my favorites of all time.

I couldn't be happier with this re-release.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular

Really sluggish controls being the biggest offender, but also the gameplay seems barebones in the way that a lot of Sega games like NiGHTs and Crazy Taxi just do. Also I'm probably alone in this, but the soundtrack was really grating on me.

It seems odd to me that Sega keeps gussying up all their old games in ways that aren't lazy at all, actually taking their time with them like they did this, Daytona USA, and the upcoming NiGHTs, but for all the modernization they try to bring to it, there just isn't any hiding the fact that there simply isn't a lot to do in these games.

Pistols at dawn, sir.

In all honesty, JSR was always pretty threadbare with regard to the gameplay. It's fairly straightforward in its basics, and the the most challenging parts tend to be challenging for the wrong reasons (see: boss fights). But to me the simplicity and the world are what make it awesome. The controls I can see being interpreted as sluggish, but I think they're that way for a purpose: You really do have to build momentum and deal with inertia in the game.

To what extent was the soundtrack butchered again? I know they kept all the Hideki Naganuma tracks, which is great, but I was sad to hear that maybe some of the Deavid Soul tracks wouldn't be included.

VuIBhrs.png
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Jet Set Radio is in my trifecta of "Favorite Games Ever" which is also comprised of Rayman 2: The Great Escape and Kirby's Adventure.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • IgortIgort Registered User regular
    To what extent was the soundtrack butchered again?

It wasn't. They managed to get a hold of every song from every version of the game, barring 2: "Yappie Feet" by Deavid Soul and "Many Styles" by O.B. One (which was only in the PAL version). Other than that, it's all here.

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    Igort wrote: »
    To what extent was the soundtrack butchered again?

It wasn't. They managed to get a hold of every song from every version of the game, barring 2: "Yappie Feet" by Deavid Soul and "Many Styles" by O.B. One (which was only in the PAL version). Other than that, it's all here.

This is much better than I had been led to believe. While I love Yappie Feet, this news nevertheless makes me happy in the pants.

VuIBhrs.png
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Is the game music available to listen from start?

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    This game gives me that uki-uki waku-waku feeling.

uyvfOQy.png
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Each stage is themed for a song, especially notable when you get to New York.

And yea, @UnbreakableVow this game is really only great with a heavy dose of nostalgia. If you weren't a fan back on the Dreamcast, I'd probably stay away. Personally? I love it, and I still hook up my Dreamcast every year and play this game.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter

Really sluggish controls being the biggest offender, but also the gameplay seems barebones in the way that a lot of Sega games like NiGHTs and Crazy Taxi just do. Also I'm probably alone in this, but the soundtrack was really grating on me.

Pistols at dawn, sir.

Maybe it's just music that isn't appealing at first but has to be pounded into your head

The sequel has "Birthday Cake" by Cibo Matto, right?

I fucking love Cibo Matto but the first time I heard them (and that song) I was pretty turned off

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I need to download and try the demo of this.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Yeah, as soon as you get to your garage you can use the radio to listen to any of the songs.

Despite Sega's press release, it seems as if Dunny Boy William's Show has also been cut from the game's soundtrack. So that sucks.

Played this almost nonstop the day it came out. This has always been one of my favorite games of all time, so of course I think it holds up perfectly.

If anyone is still on the fence about this game, I'd like to give some more thoughts on the port.

The good: The game looks beautiful. There are so many details to these environments and the port really allows them to stand out. I've always loved reading all the goofy, nonsensical Engrish in the background, and a lot of the signs are now legible (for me anyway). The widescreen is also great. The right thumbstick camera control option is nice to have, but not a significant game changer for me. Finally, the new graffiti they added is head and shoulders above the old licensed stuff from the US release.

The bad: There are some visual and sound glitches. Graffiti textures seem to freak out at times, especially when tagging. There are also some small music problems. At times, the "victory" music will repeat itself at the loading screen after finishing a level, and the last level's music restarts in the middle of the stage. The most annoying is the credit medley restarting post-credits, totally changing (in my opinion) the tone of the epilogue (which had previously been silent). And while it's not quite a glitch, another weird difference is that some characters switch back to their Japanese character model in cut scenes. I doubt most people would notice, though.

Despite these minor complaints, I would say that this is the best version of the game available. If you've never played it, I can't recommend it strongly enough. IF you still have your original copy and a VGA-equipped Dreamcast, it's a harder sell, but I'd still recommend it on the graphics alone.

Sorry for the double-post. Also, not to brag, but I'm currently ranked number 1 on the Xbox leaderboards for Kogane-cho Jet Tech.

• DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Each stage is themed for a song, especially notable when you get to New York.

And yea, @UnbreakableVow this game is really only great with a heavy dose of nostalgia. If you weren't a fan back on the Dreamcast, I'd probably stay away. Personally? I love it, and I still hook up my Dreamcast every year and play this game.

Well, I never had a Dreamcast, but I'm still finding it pretty fun. Not stellar or anything, but it definitely holds up well without the slightest hint of nostalgia.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Right stick camera control?

Dammit... Sound glitches don't bother me much since it all becomes background noise after awhile.

Best times I had with the original was using a Game Shark to get unlimited time to explore the levels/get those tapes. I doubt they added that though.

I will say that this game (and Official Dreamcast Magazine with their demo discs) introduced me to Jurassic 5, which I am grateful for.

newSig.jpg
    Nocren wrote: »
    Best times I had with the original was using a Game Shark to get unlimited time to explore the levels/get those tapes. I doubt they added that though.

Jet Technique gives you ten minutes to explore the stages. Granted, ten minutes is less than infinite minutes and you're "supposed" to be getting points, but I always used it to satisfy my exploration desires.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I think 10 minutes should be fine.
    While exploration was fine in JSRF, it wasn't exactly fun at times...

newSig.jpg
  • NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    I had fun with it, but I was kinda stunned at how small and simplistic it feels next to JSRF.

I love the feeling of being pursued by enemies in the game, and the time limits felt all that damningly difficult.

But there's literally no control over what tricks to do, whereas I thought JSRF offered just enough complexity without killing the game's focus.

Also, I loved grind city. So maybe I don't know anything at all. :P

edited October 2012
    Has anyone found any luck with importing their own sprays yet? I've seen mention of a few user related tools here and there, but I'm not sure what's best, or even how to properly format image files to import. (Edit: Er, PC Steam version, obviously)
    I had fun with it, but I was kinda stunned at how small and simplistic it feels next to JSRF.

I keep hearing people say this, and it baffles me. JSRF literally sucked any complexity out of the game. It was 'push X to trick' and 'push R to tag'.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    Has anyone found any luck with importing their own sprays yet? I've seen mention of a few user related tools here and there, but I'm not sure what's best, or even how to properly format image files to import. (Edit: Er, PC Steam version, obviously)

I keep hearing people say this, and it baffles me. JSRF literally sucked any complexity out of the game. It was 'push X to trick' and 'push R to tag'.

JSRF had a few skating wrinkles thrown in: the grind trick strings, half-pipe planting for increased air, and a simpler (better) backwards skating mechanic. I also greatly prefer the JSRF boost system.

I would argue that pulling R to tag made the game flow better; I thought the JSR graffiti mini-game became incredibly frustrating while trying to dodge enemies in later levels.

JSR HD got me in the mood for JSRF, which I haven't played in years. It runs silky smooth on 360 aside from 99th St, which turns into a horrific slowdown nightmare.

G%20Rol.jpg
    edited October 2012
    G Rol wrote: »
    JSR HD got me in the mood for JSRF, which I haven't played in years. It runs silky smooth on 360 aside from 99th St, which turns into a horrific slowdown nightmare.

This right here. I was so pissed off when I hit 99th street and the game hit a brick wall. I don't understand how they could have messed up backwards compatibility like that, especially only on one level. I set up my Xbox again just so I wouldn't have to get motion sickness whenever I went through the stage.

DeviousRakun on
    edited October 2012
    I would argue that pulling R to tag made the game flow better; I thought the JSR graffiti mini-game became incredibly frustrating while trying to dodge enemies in later levels.

To me, that was the whole point of the game. Taking out the spray paint directional commands made JSRF so simplistic as to be boring, from a gameplay perspective. I guess I just have a horrible perception of the two games.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png

To me, that was the whole point of the game. Taking out the spray paint directional commands made JSRF so simplistic as to be boring, from a gameplay perspective. I guess I just have a horrible perception of the two games.

I think you nailed it. Taking out the time limits and enemies from the levels removed all the danger (and thus, energy) from the levels. The follow-the-arrows bit worked well in JSR, since it made the game's dangers more of a threat.

The challenge of JSRF comes from platforming and exploration. A tagging mini-game would be completely superfluous to these. JSRF's scoring mechanic is also pretty lame, mostly due to the simplified backwards-turning mechanic.

While I much prefer the challenge of the original, JSRF still has some great level design, smooth controls and, of course, great music. I'd really love an XBL re-release.