As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 18: [MMA]rrested Development: UFC Supports Drunk Driving and Domestic Violence

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    The Nevada State Athletic Commission has confirmed that Alistair Overeem's estosterone-to-epitestosterone ratio was 14-to-1, well over the NSAC's allowable 6-to-1 ratio. The NSAC has yet to hear whether Alistair Overeem would like a "B" sample from his surprise drug test screened for performance-enhancers, and they also have not heard whether he'll apply for a license to fight Junior Dos Santos at UFC 146.

Overeem is still scheduled to fight champ Junior Dos Santos for the heavyweight title at UFC 146, which takes place May 26 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. If Overeem requests to have his "B" sample tested, the NSAC will inform its principal drug-testing facility, Quest Diagnostics of the decision and coordinate with the fighter whether the sample will be tested at Quest or at another accredited laboratory. NSAC Executive Director Keith Kizer added the following…

"If [Overeem's camp is] going to test it, they should tell us pretty soon. There is a concern about degradation of the sample."

In the past, some have stated that the NSAC's 6-to-1 ratio, which is 50 percent higher than the World Anti-Doping Agency's 4-to-1 limit, is too high and encourages athletes to use testosterone.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    So have they said yet if it's just cancelled, or if someone else is going to step up for the fight?

I wouldn't mind watching JDS beat the stuffing out of Mir

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    There's a campaign on Twitter to get Mark Hunt moved in to Reem's spot.

Which would be awesome, admittedly.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular

Mark Hunt.

UFC champion.

Dana White would be soo pissed.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    So have they said yet if it's just cancelled, or if someone else is going to step up for the fight?

i've called dana to volunteer
    but he hasn't returned my call yet
    theres no minimum for weightclasses right?
    just maximums?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    They'll never give Hunt a title shot until a grappler holds the belt.

Way too risky putting him up against any striker.

• Options
    dlinfiniti wrote: »

just maximums?

Pfft how can you not reach a minimum. Just do it the BJ Penn way, donuts and halohalo all the way up.

Nate Diaz got his BJJ black belt today. Grats!
    (he'll still be grounded and pounded by any decent wrestler)

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    B:L wrote: »

Mark Hunt.

UFC champion.

The more realistic option would be to go with JDS/Mir and Cain/Hunt.

Either way, I am excited.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options

just maximums?

Pfft how can you not reach a minimum. Just do it the BJ Penn way, donuts and halohalo all the way up.

Nate Diaz got his BJJ black belt today. Grats!
    (he'll still be grounded and pounded by any decent wrestler)

whats minimum for hw? 205?
    i suppose i can do 60 lbs before may 26
    but then i'm gonna wanna be competitive if i'm gonna be striking with JDS so that means another 40 or so lbs.....
    ok so that works out to 400 quarter pounders which is about 10 a day
    and no pooping
    lets do this

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    A Very Special B:L PSA...

Recently, there has been a BJJ tragedy. A 14 year old kid was horsing around with his older cousin, and put him in a rear naked choke. Unfortunately with no training or education, neither of them knew the ramifications and dangers of such a move. The kid held the choke for 30-40 seconds, and only let go when bystanders told him that his cousin was turning blue. An ambulance was called, but the cousin could not be rescucitated. He died.

The UFC does not do a good job of educating their fans. That is why it is up to the educated to spread the word, to prevent future tragedies like this from happening.

Here is a video covering these points:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrsBlDDA0Lg

• Options
    :(

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    wow, didn't think you could kill someone with a RNC in such a short period

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Just saw that video, anyone that participates in martial arts should watch it. Understanding that someone who's out can still have their eyes open, be breathing and be moving is important and with MMA's popularity it's a matter of time before this happens and the kid says he learned it watching UFC. Damn shame.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    815165 wrote: »

I wouldn't call that short really, when I have chocked people out its taken 10 seconds maybe for them to go limp, same for when I have been (so I am told)...

Over 30 seconds would start to asphyxiate you.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    it is going to be very difficult to not use this information for evil

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Well I did jits for about 2 years and haven't trained in an age, so will refer to Willy and Chu for more insight.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Does it come as a surprise that if you choke someone too long they die?

This is why MMA is regulated with things like Referees so even if the fighter doing the choking is retarded (or 14 years old :D) and can't tell if his opponent is out, the Referee is supposed to step in.

As for the UFC not doing enough to educate people about brazilian jujitsu, I'm not sure that's fair. They always spout that you need to tap and Dana always says that fighters need to tap. They also have gyms where they train this stuff for the public.

The reality is that kids will do dumb things like this. They watch wrestling and they suplex a friend and break his neck. They watch Nascar and end up in a carcrash. You can't blame the sport for the kids not using common sense. A closer proxy to blame should be the parents for allowing their kids to put chokeholds on eachother without education. They even said it was during a house gathering in the livingroom so there were other adults present

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Teenagers have been playing the fainting game for decades. Same danger, less UFC influence!

That is to say, blaming the you eff sees for this is ridiculous.

adytum on
  • Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular

Mark Hunt.

UFC champion.

Rogan: MARK HUNT! CONGRATULATIONS ON BECOMING THE NEW UFC HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION! ITS BEEN A LONG ROAD TO BECOMING THE CHAMP, TELL US HOW YOU ARE FEELING RIGHT NOW!

Hunt: Yeah, good.

Rogan: It looks like your game plan was to withstand the damage early with some solid defense, then close the distance and finish off JDS with your brutal striking. Are you happy with your performance? Was this your game plan coming into the fight?

Hunt: Yup.

Rogan: Let’s take a look at the end of the fight. Beautiful combo here, there’s hook that rocked JDS. Walk us through the finish

Hunt: I just hit him, yeah...

Rogan: Well, congratulations on your huge victory! We are looking forward to your first defense of the title. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, YOUR NEW UFC HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION, MARK HUNT!

Hunt: Yeah.

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Woo hoo! Two year of blood and sweat, but now you're looking at the world's newest BJJ Blue Belt. Coach told me to buy my own belt so any recommendations?
    BlueBelt.jpg

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    oops double post

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    I would like to see more detailed information on that kid that died from the choke. 40 seconds is too long to hold the choke, of course, but I'm very surprised that the kid actually died from this.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Hey that's awesome man congrats!

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Congrats man!
    Zzulu wrote: »
    Does it come as a surprise that if you choke someone too long they die?

This is why MMA is regulated with things like Referees so even if the fighter doing the choking is retarded (or 14 years old :D) and can't tell if his opponent is out, the Referee is supposed to step in.
    *cough*PaulHarris*cough*

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    Congrats, krapst!

At Blue you can :^: but at Black you can :-c

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    Well I did jits for about 2 years and haven't trained in an age, so will refer to Willy and Chu for more insight.

Let's just say Chu. I haven't trained in a long time, either. :D

Speaking of BJJ, who wants to see some finishes from the 2012 Pan Jiu-Jitsu Tournament?

http://www.lapelchoke.com/submission-finishes-from-the-2012-pan-jiu-jitsu-championships/

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options

Let's just say Chu. I haven't trained in a long time, either. :D

But Willy he's asking about blue belts and your avatar says blue belt. You're the go to guy for this.

Another special PSA...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvJ78Shu8wk

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    Congrats on the promotion krapst78! Now just another few years until purple.

I myself am hoping for a promotion soon, so I take this as a good omen.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    FEDOR'S NEXT FIGHT!!!

Also, Dan Henderson tweeted that he's up for JDS if the fight is offered. That's Mark Hunt and Dan Henderson in the twitter runnings for that fight.

• Options
    I like the idea of a middleweight vs a heavyweight where the MW has the smaller gas tank.

• Options
    I like the idea of a middleweight vs a heavyweight where the MW has the smaller gas tank.

Smaller gas tank? He whupped on Shogun for three rounds straight, haymakers all the way.

JDS was tired as hell by the third round against Nelson.

• Options
    I just think that if Hendo loses he wont get his MW or LHW title shot, which he stands a better chance of winning.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    I just think that if Hendo loses he wont get his MW or LHW title shot, which he stands a better chance of winning.

If Hendo wins he can get the grand slam of winning HW, LHW, and MW titles CONSECUTIVELY.

And then the UFC will be Zombie Ass.

• Options
    Haha.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    They'll just draft in Jake Shields to take every belt from him. :(

• Options
    lol hendo will fight anyone anywhere anytime at any weight
    that's incredible
    what a gamer
    really puts into perspective some of these other guys in the UFC who collect wins and then do everything to duck fights trying to protect their contender status

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    that's incredible
    what a gamer
    really puts into perspective some of these other guys in the UFC who collect wins and then do everything to duck fights trying to protect their contender status

Hendo vs BJ Penn would actually be a really interesting fight.

At HW.

• Options
    that's incredible
    what a gamer

You hear about him refusing fights a lot, Shogun, Johnson and Lil' Nog all recently.

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I wouldn't call that short really, when I have chocked people out its taken 10 seconds maybe for them to go limp, same for when I have been (so I am told)...

Over 30 seconds would start to asphyxiate you.
    It's hypoxia.

Kids Untrained people shouldn't be doing this shit unsupervised regardless.

I'm surprised a tragedy like this hasn't actually happened sooner though, given the exposure the UFC has.

This might seem selfish, but I don't look forward to the potential legislative backlash. I don't think there's ever been a death from strangulation in 130 years of Judo, and I'm fairly sure 80 odd years of BJJ either. It's important to emphasise how safe these sports are, if trained properly. It'd be a shame if we have to suffer because of idiots being... idiots (sorry dead guy).

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
This discussion has been closed.