As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA 18: [MMA]rrested Development: UFC Supports Drunk Driving and Domestic Violence

• Options
    Metal JaredMetal Jared Mulligan Wizard Rhode IslandRegistered User regular
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »
    Anthony Pettis will die of old age before he gets a shot.

He is the anti-Faber.

Nothing bugs me more than when the UFC try and "make people happen" as it were, feed them high profile fights and title shots in an effort to get them a belt and profile. Even more so when it's a dickhead like Faber.

I know it's almost like the UFC is in the fight PROMOTION business and they want marketable people to be champions because it will lead to more money. Why would they do that?

BattleTag: MetalJared#1756
    PSN: SoulCrusherJared
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular

He is the anti-Faber.

Nothing bugs me more than when the UFC try and "make people happen" as it were, feed them high profile fights and title shots in an effort to get them a belt and profile. Even more so when it's a dickhead like Faber.

I know it's almost like the UFC is in the fight PROMOTION business and they want marketable people to be champions because it will lead to more money. Why would they do that?

xdkFv.gif

• Options

He is the anti-Faber.

xdkFv.gif

Look being mad at a business doing what's best for business doesn't make sense. Anthony Pettis could easily get a title shot if he did the type of self promotion that Chael does or he demanded it on a PPV or whatever. The nosier you are, the more the fans care and the better chance you'll get a shot at the title and the more money you'll make.

• Options
    You overestimate my anger at them, I just fucking hate Faber and Jones and they are the latest hype machine products, I never minded when they did it with Hardy, Sonnen or Brock.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    You overestimate my anger at them, I just fucking hate Faber and Jones and they are the latest hype machine products, I never minded when they did it with Hardy, Sonnen or Brock.

I can understand Faber but why are you angry at Jones? I mean he keeps winning. He won the title fair and square and has been dominate in his title defenses. I don't consider that to be a hype machine product, I feel that's someone they hyped and he turned out to be the fighter they said he would be. It's exactly what they should be doing. That should be something you're happy with

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    I really liked Faber right up until this TUF. Now he's shown too much of his jerk did side. Before, he was perfectly marketed and we didn't know his personality aside from the fact that he was a fun loving, hard fighting, little California Kid. Now he's just kinda a dick.

I know how you feel. I have never done such a complete 180 on two people at the same time like I have with Cruz and Faber. I liked Faber and disliked Cruz before the show and I've completely turned around after seeing them coach and how they talk to each other.

PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I choked a friend out when drunken playfighting about 9 years ago...

Scary shit and now, unless it's in a gym or a fight I have no desire to show off.

Yeah it's different when people regularly train and all. They know to tap, they know to slowly add pressure on joint locks, all of that. The guys that make me the most nervous in the gym are the fresh white belts, I'm far more likely to get hurt by one of them spazzing out then I am by someone with a lot of experience. ((Unless the guy with the experience is a complete jagoff and no one's given me the heads up to avoid em yet.))

On the flip side I would always get annoyed when some duder who thought he was all badass starts yelling at you to tap and your all "nah brah, not even close. If I tapped everytime someone got a loose sub I would never get to practice escapes so feck off!" And then when you wriggle free (durr it obviously wasn't tight enough as I am now free) they are obviously angry and start rolling angry...

Ok so that only happened like once but... it was annoying. It's like... I'm one of the lightest guys at the gym... I'm used to everyone being bigger than I am. I know when to tap!!! I just happen to be very good at escaping and it's something that I like to practice.

• Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Have we discussed hendo vs jones is happening in sept?

We all knew it was coming but Dana confirmed it on twitter earlier. Can hendo even hope to get in range of jones?

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    he has two rounds to land an overhand right before he doesn't have the energy to throw anything dangerous any more

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    I choked a friend out when drunken playfighting about 9 years ago...

Scary shit and now, unless it's in a gym or a fight I have no desire to show off.

Yeah it's different when people regularly train and all. They know to tap, they know to slowly add pressure on joint locks, all of that. The guys that make me the most nervous in the gym are the fresh white belts, I'm far more likely to get hurt by one of them spazzing out then I am by someone with a lot of experience. ((Unless the guy with the experience is a complete jagoff and no one's given me the heads up to avoid em yet.))

On the flip side I would always get annoyed when some duder who thought he was all badass starts yelling at you to tap and your all "nah brah, not even close. If I tapped everytime someone got a loose sub I would never get to practice escapes so feck off!" And then when you wriggle free (durr it obviously wasn't tight enough as I am now free) they are obviously angry and start rolling angry...

Ok so that only happened like once but... it was annoying. It's like... I'm one of the lightest guys at the gym... I'm used to everyone being bigger than I am. I know when to tap!!! I just happen to be very good at escaping and it's something that I like to practice.

Yeah I'm pretty lucky, we've got a great crowd at our gym, really good atmosphere. You always run into that kinda stuff a bit though. We have one guy who has no idea how to go anything but 1% or %100 after more then 6 months of training still, drives me nuts. Yesterday was seriously my favorite day ever of training martial arts I think, just a ton of fun, all sorts of cool little moments.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    You know what guys? Fuck my shit-tastic knees. I think I'm going to try and find a place near my new home to start training again.

• Options
    go for it, shogun

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    You know what guys? Fuck my shit-tastic knees. I think I'm going to try and find a place near my new home to start training again.

The MMA thread supports this decision.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    he has two rounds to land an overhand right before he doesn't have the energy to throw anything dangerous any more

If I had to put a bet on now, Jones submits Hendo.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Louie wrote: »
    Have we discussed hendo vs jones is happening in sept?

We all knew it was coming but Dana confirmed it on twitter earlier. Can hendo even hope to get in range of jones?
    Hendo wont be afraid of wading into Jone's meatgrinder in order to land his H-Bomb.

We saw Rashad utilize this a bit in the first round of his fight with Jones (and he landed some decent shots) until Jones adapted partway through the second and Rashad got too hurt to want to risk it again.

I think Hendo KOs him early in the 2nd or late in the first.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    The problem is that against Jones there's just SO MUCH WADING to do before you close the distance

Not that it wouldn't be like, the greatest thing ever if he wins

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    Would that be the oldest lhw champ taking it from the youngest?

If so that would be extra cool

• Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    TUF brazil has better drama in a language i don't understand
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2_ge-rZ0pE

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Would that be the oldest lhw champ taking it from the youngest?

If so that would be extra cool

hendo will tell bones to get off his lawn octagon

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular

I saw a list where Faber was still listed as a T25 all-weight fighter (and not like, 25th) and just went bwawhaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    Oh hey, strike force is gonna be in Portland 2 days before my birthday.

Think I'm gonna go!

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    So what's King Mo been up to after the suspension from StrikeForce.

I'm sure Dana White cooked up some deal for this future superstar...

http://bjpenn.com/mmanews/2012/05/10/king-mo-inks-deals-with-bellator-and-tna-pro-wrestling-24459.html

Oh.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
  • Options
    If it keeps going in that direction it's obviously bad, but it's pretty silly to even consider it a trend right now. The first UFC on Fox was promoted like crazy, and it was a heavyweight title fight. Of course it's gonna have the best ratings. #3 may not have had good overall ratings but they did perfectly fine with the 18-49 demo, which is what the advertisers care about more than total ratings. Plus it was on Cinco de Mayo, which tends to be an 'out of the house' holiday.

Plus #2 was a goddamn snoozefest, so that probably hurt #3 a bit. We'll have to see what happens with #4

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So what do you think will be showed about Cruz's injury this week on TUF? Has there been word that it actually happened on camara? I'm assuming we'll have some camera with the doctor action along with the big "Dana White in front of the camera explaining" segments.

Edit: From Dana's Twitter

"There's two LIVE quarterfinal fights on FX tonight!!!
    Proctor - 220 vs Vick +180 and
    Lawrence - 300 vs Chiesa +230"

I like that Dana puts the odds up there though I'm sure everyone else hates it.

Metal Jared on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I think he said it happened in training after he was done filming for the day.

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/5/9/3010541/ufc-148-dominick-cruz-knee-injury-urijah-faber-ronda-rousey-rumor-mma

815165 on
  • Options

http://www.mmamania.com/2012/5/9/3010541/ufc-148-dominick-cruz-knee-injury-urijah-faber-ronda-rousey-rumor-mma

Is it too much to ask of the Korean Zombie if he cuts down to 135 and faces Faber for the belt? Then he can go back up to 145 and win that one too? That would be awesome.

• Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular

Is it too much to ask of the Korean Zombie if he cuts down to 135 and faces Faber for the belt? Then he can go back up to 145 and win that one too? That would be awesome.

Well the Zombie is fighting in a couple weeks, so probably not. But we can hope.

mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    [Tycho?] wrote: »

Well the Zombie is fighting in a couple weeks, so probably not. But we can hope.

If he can manage another 7 second KO I think he might be ok

8->

• Options
    I'd even be willing to compromise and see a 10 second KO

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiC94pDO9nM

lol, even the Gracies call him Paul Harris

• Options
    hahahaha oh man
    usually their post breakdown self promotion is irritating but this time it was unexpectedly funny

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    Yeah hey dl have you heard about our grandfather?

Because we'd LOVE to tell you about him for a couple of hours.

It's like talking to an evangelical who wants to introduce you to his close personal friend, Jesus Christ

• Options
    Kana wrote: »
    Yeah hey dl have you heard about our grandfather?

Because we'd LOVE to tell you about him for a couple of hours.

It's like talking to an evangelical who wants to introduce you to his close personal friend, Jesus Christ

daaaannngggg

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    They never stray off message much, the message being "our grandfather invented MMA".

• Options
  • Options
    Braulio Estima came in 9lbs over in his weigh-in against Nick Diaz.

Zero respect.

• Options
    So he was 189?

I saw that he wasn't going to make the 180 limit but I didn't think it would be that bad.

This discussion has been closed.