As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Does my laptop have a trojan? Winstat.exe maybe?

TheHopelessGamerTheHopelessGamer Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
My Windows 7 laptop's been doing some funny things lately. For one, after having beaten both Mass Effect 1 and 2 several times over the course of last year, I uninstalled them. When I decided to amp up for ME3's release and play them again, I reinstalled them via Steam. Good right? Nope, both crash back to my desktop rather quickly with a simple "Mass Effect (or 2) has stopped working" with no failure number or coding or whatever. I decided to try to restart after adjusting my User Account Controls (as this was suggested on the Bioware forums as a fix), and when I restarted, "Winstat.exe" started up and just ran like a motherfucker. I googled it, pooped my pants that I might have a trojan, closed the Winstat.exe box, and immediately started running a full scan of my computer with McAfee.

My computer's also been running games in general a little slower lately than before, and it seems to heat up quicker than before as well. What I'm worried about is that I've run a full scan with McAfee recently, and nothing popped up. Does McAfee suck, or should I just reasonably be running some additional anti-malware/spybot scan on my machine. If so, what's a safe thing to download to do that for free?

Thanks!

TheHopelessGamer on

• RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a common goto among our forum users.

Lots of users here prefer Microsoft Security Essentials for their AV needs.