As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo eShop] THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    3DSware is designed from the get go to be run directly from the card, so the theoretical limit is 32 GB.

The practical limit is probably 4GB, but that will probably only be for retail. The biggest game on there right now is a little over 200 MB.

The problem is I believe the default SD card it comes with is only 2GB. So even a 2GB game, you are talking about using the entire card for one game.

So there probably needs to be some consideration for that.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    3DSware is designed from the get go to be run directly from the card, so the theoretical limit is 32 GB.

The practical limit is probably 4GB, but that will probably only be for retail. The biggest game on there right now is a little over 200 MB.

The problem is I believe the default SD card it comes with is only 2GB. So even a 2GB game, you are talking about using the entire card for one game.

Except for the fact that SD cards are cheap as shit.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited February 2012
    skeldare wrote: »

Except for the fact that SD cards are cheap as shit.

They are but how many people do you expect actually use anything beyond the default card?

Besides, it looks bad on both Nintendo and the developer's part when a game tells you to go out and buy new hardware just to play it (within reason of course). People like to be thrifty, and it angers them when they have to buy additional shit to use a product.

Edit: I will say you should obviously be able to make some consessions here. If Nintendo did start getting into digital distribution, that's another matter. It's a much easier sell to tell someone they have to go out and buy a new memory card to hold some mammoth full-retail title vs. a 3DSWare title which most expect to be a relatively small, more bite-sized game.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    So, which of the action-RPG type games on the E-shop are worth it?

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I really wish they'd have full retail games available to download. I really want to pick up a fighting game this weekend (I don't have any yet), but that genre is just so well suited to sitting on the system for quick rounds and there's really no good DSi fighters in the shop that I'm seeing. Plus then I could ask for a recommendation without starting a new thread...grrr....

On the more digital front - are we thinking Kid Icarus 3d NES is exclusively available as preorder or should it be available to buy separately?

On the more digital front - are we thinking Kid Icarus 3d NES is exclusively available as preorder or should it be available to buy separately?

I would hope it would be available seperate, but then Nintendo has always been weird about stuff like this.

Either way, I have Kid Icarus pre-ordered so I'm covered :D

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    They are but how many people do you expect actually use anything beyond the default card?

Should we expect nobody to buy Sony's Vita storage as well? That's probably going to be harder to find than a simple SD card.

Is it a situation where not including storage at all would've encouraged more people to go out and buy storage, rather than assuming they've got what they need?

I wonder if they should include a message when you try to buy something too large - something that links to an order form to buy a larger SD card. :)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular

People have been trained for years now that they need bigger SD cards with all those cameras and phones. It won't be hard at all.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576

Should we expect nobody to buy Sony's Vita storage as well? That's probably going to be harder to find than a simple SD card.

Is it a situation where not including storage at all would've encouraged more people to go out and buy storage, rather than assuming they've got what they need?

I wonder if they should include a message when you try to buy something too large - something that links to an order form to buy a larger SD card. :)

I think that's exactly what it is actually. Vita doesn't bundle a memory card, so I don't think it's a valid comparison. It's all more up-front (mostly since they are pretty much entirely digital) rather than "well a year into 3DS's life cycle we decided to add all these giant games" :P

Like I said, I think you can absolutely make a case for digital downloads of retail stuff. I think people will understand that (and Nintendo could market to that effect). I think for the eShop in general though, the average consumer is going to wonder why their brand-new 3DS with nothing installed on it can't "support everything out of the box."

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Considering that the DOTA 2 beta is like, what, 1.8 gigs in total
    - I feel confident in saying that you could probably achieve some really nice stuff with just 1 - 1.5 gigs.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    That reminds me of something that's bothered me.

Why the hell is Excitebike so huge?

• b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Well I wasnt really joking. There may be a few games that will thrive and go toe to toe for top spots in this forum, but most of.them will not.stay above water. I feel like I learned about more games from that 3DS thread than I ever will again from individual threads. Thats how i let my psp pretty much die in my closet. I lile the idea of being able to disxuss all the games. But I willake the best of this thread and hope that at least some retail gets DD also

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    b1rdman wrote: »
    Well I wasnt really joking. There may be a few games that will thrive and go toe to toe for top spots in this forum, but most of.them will not.stay above water. I feel like I learned about more games from that 3DS thread than I ever will again from individual threads. Thats how i let my psp pretty much die in my closet. I lile the idea of being able to disxuss all the games. But I willake the best of this thread and hope that at least some retail gets DD also

You can't expect a thread about, say, "Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove" to survive more than a day on the first page of the forums, and as such there's no place to discuss the game.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Look, rules are rules and we all have to respect them. I figure the best way to handle the situation regarding a new 3DS title (or one that hasn't got a lot of exposure) is to make a well thought out, easy-to-read, informative thread on the game, then post a link to that thread here. Just one link like "Hey guys, check out Gabrielle's Ghostly Groove!" People that are interested will go, and if the game warrants it, they will bookmark it and stay.

Again, I'm not opposed to putting links to other popular games at the bottom of the OP. I don't think the mods mind too much either, but this isn't a hub thread for the 3DS, it's meant for eShop and digital games only.

Speaking of which, I need to get started on that Resident Evil:Revelations thread. Gotta get some bros for Raid Mode. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page

I would have liked to not have to buy the Vita storage. I paid 60 bucks for a 16 GB card. They need to stop making new media every time they release new hardware of any kind. I don't mind them having their own, and utilizing it for their stuff, but couldn't they have stuck to MS for this( unless they really sped up the transfer rate or something that I am unaware of). But I feel they are just milking us for our money because the cards are necessary to the experience.

People have been trained for years now that they need bigger SD cards with all those cameras and phones. It won't be hard at all.

Also, this. But I feel this is more reasonably, since I just saw a slickdeal for a 32 GB water/shockproof class 10 SD card for under 40 bucks. Better deals can be had. So I agree with you. Gamers are in the know enough to get a bigger card. And the children who wouldn't be, probably aren't loading up on digital only games.

Also: Gabrielles Ghostly Groove sounds awesome. When is this gem coming out?

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

I pretty much agree with you entirely but ultimately it's a mod issue better left to pming a mod (which I already did as well). It's a rule that originally was setup to avoid people clustering in those larger threads and the impression those large threads were very uninviting to new comers. It does seem like the current mod is open to feedback on it, so I would send over your thoughts to them.

I like the eShop getting a thread though - it's so easy to overlook releases and the 3d stuff lately on the shop has been crazy good.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Also: Gabrielles Ghostly Groove sounds awesome. When is this gem coming out?

October 4, 2011.

Being a Natsume game, it released to no fanfare and a small print run. It's a fun, kiddy EBA/Ouendan-esque game. Not worth $40, but definitely worth the $15 I grabbed it from Gamestop for.

It was actually announced way back at E3 2010 for the DS before being moved to the 3DS and being delayed almost an entire year.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    Exactly. I hope this thread helps me learn about eShop games I otherwise wouldn't have known about. I actually don't really have any at the moment so I'm all ears at the moment.

steam_sig.png
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Everyone, I know you still have thoughts on the 3DS thread, but let's not get this thread off-topic.

You can still PM me if you have any ideas, suggestions, or concerns. I may not respond to all of them, but I do read them.

YL9WnCY.png
    It's the price of being popular, PSP had a stealth megathread from 2008 or so on that no mod cared about because hey, it was the PSP.

If enough people get any one game or its worth talking about in some way then the thread will make it. If its not then it won't.

Exactly. I hope this thread helps me learn about eShop games I otherwise wouldn't have known about. I actually don't really have any at the moment so I'm all ears at the moment.

You don't have any eShop games yet?! OK, whip out your credit card and buy any of the games in the OP. Pushmo seems to be the unanimous forum choice of "first buy" from the eShop. It typically then goes to a tie between Sakura Samurai, Mutant Mudds, VVVVVV, Dillion's Rolling Western, and Mutant Mudds. All are great games in their own right.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »

You don't have any eShop games yet?! OK, whip out your credit card and buy any of the games in the OP. Pushmo seems to be the unanimous forum choice of "first buy" from the eShop. It typically then goes to a tie between Sakura Samurai, Mutant Mudds, VVVVVV, Dillion's Rolling Western, and Mutant Mudds. All are great games in their own right.

Are you subliminally trying to get him to buy Mutant Mudds? :lol:

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular

You forgot Pushmo.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You forgot Pushmo.

If you like Pinball games, you should consider Zen Pinball. If you would like Pinball games if it wasn't for the fact that it feels like half the tables in any given collection came from a time when the concept of having bumpers was novel, you NEED Zen Pinball.

You don't have any eShop games yet?! OK, whip out your credit card and buy any of the games in the OP. Pushmo seems to be the unanimous forum choice of "first buy" from the eShop. It typically then goes to a tie between Sakura Samurai, Mighty Switch Force, VVVVVV, Dillion's Rolling Western, and Mutant Mudds. All are great games in their own right.

Darn it, I meant Mighty Switch Force. :) Also, Zen Pinball is good and supposed to have DLC one day.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page

You don't have any eShop games yet?! OK, whip out your credit card and buy any of the games in the OP. Pushmo seems to be the unanimous forum choice of "first buy" from the eShop. It typically then goes to a tie between Sakura Samurai, Mighty Switch Force, VVVVVV, Dillion's Rolling Western, and Mutant Mudds. All are great games in their own right.

Darn it, I meant Mighty Switch Force. :) Also, Zen Pinball is good and supposed to have DLC one day.

Mighty Switch Force is good, but a bit short and not really worth the price. Definetly not Wayforward's best. Still there are a lot worse out there.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    While MSF is pretty short if you plow straight through it, but I think most people will get quite a bit more mileage out of it going for the par times. The only other Wayforward game I've played is Flip Champs and I liked MSF tons more.

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Well, there's always Mighty Milky Way, which is actually more depressing than one may come to think from initial impressions.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
    Anyone pick up Dillion's Rolling Western? I'm planning on getting it after finishing RE:R and Mutant Mudds. That is of course, unless someone talks me out of it.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Man, I want to play that Bravely Default demo. The developers that made 3D Dot Game Heroes are making it.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Man, I want to play that Bravely Default demo. The developers that made 3D Dot Game Heroes are making it.

Welp looks like I'll have to download it just to make you all jelly! *trollface*

EVOL on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

*coughPushmocough*

achem

Now that my throat is clear, I can obviously recommend Sakura Samurai!

*Protip: buy both!

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sakurai Samurai doesn't tie with those other games (cept maybe VVVVVV but it's available elsewhere). Pushmo > Sakura Samura > Everything else.

Mutant Mudds is kind of dull. It's also really easy, except at the points it's not, usually at the end of a very long, dull, boring level.

Personally I liked Freakyforms though you should research and understand exactly what you are purchasing before getting it.

People are usually quicker to praise Shantae. I know it's DSiware but it's still a great game.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

*coughPushmocough*

achem

Now that my throat is clear, I can obviously recommend Sakura Samurai!

*Protip: buy both!

MNC Dover wrote:

Pushmo seems to be the unanimous forum choice of "first buy" from the eShop.

You know I have nothing but love for Pushmo. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Your 3DS automatically logs your credit/debit card information and buy's Pushmo for you when you first open the shop.
    Well, it should. There's no reason to own a 3DS and not have it on there. It's that good of a puzzle game.

• KhaylessKhayless Registered User regular
    Anyone pick up Dillion's Rolling Western? I'm planning on getting it after finishing RE:R and Mutant Mudds. That is of course, unless someone talks me out of it.

I've played up to the 5th village in the Rolling Western, and I'm enjoying the game so far. Despite being left-handed I'm not having any trouble with the controls, it's mainly just dragging and tapping the stylus on the screen. The game is an odd blend of tower defence and action, I've found that Dillon usually defeats more monsters than any of my gun towers. Each stage has introduced new mechanics and opponents and I hope that continues for the rest of the game.

What I really like is the complete omission of tutorials. Your sidekick gives you a quick tip at the start of each day, and you have access to a notebook which updates over time, but apart from that you're left to experiment. However I can understand how some people may see that as a negative.

3DS friend code: 3609-1786-8629

What? 3D Dot Game Heroes was developed by Silicon Studio. Bravely Default is being developed by Matrix Software.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    EVOL wrote: »

Welp looks like I'll have to download it just to make you all jelly! *trollface*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Jmix849t64&feature=youtu.be

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Is that an AR cutscene? Cause that is definitely.....something. Not sure what. Possibly neat.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr

What? 3D Dot Game Heroes was developed by Silicon Studio. Bravely Default is being developed by Matrix Software.

Demo Credits Silicon Studio in the intro logos.

This discussion has been closed.