As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Nintendo eShop] THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    Video of 3DS Game Gear VC - coming soon to eShop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jej41RMXW_8

Excited! I owned a Game Gear about 5 years or so until the backlight on the LCD died and I couldn't play it anymore.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Playing Game Gear games should have the added feature of draining the batteries extra fast to simulate the AA usage.

I'm gonna have to grab one of those, even if its primarily to get the 3D Game Gear on my main menu. Played a ton of the GG Sonic 2 back in the day, so I'll have to get one of the others.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I still have that game, and I still have my Game Gear! The sound doesn't work though. :(

I'll definitely have to pick up some of the classics from that system. It was so cool having a full color handheld when everyone else was playing with greenish yellow and black..

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    So what's on the eShop today? I was pretty happy with last week's game, hopefully they can keep it up!

edited March 2012
    @NintendoAmerica is doing a twitter contest today for a free eShop game. Follow @NintendoAmerica and tweet between 11 AM and 7 PM EST today with the hashtag #eShop why you love the eShop.

Prize is one of the following: Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword, Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force, or VVVVVV.

Worst case, if you own them all or get a duplicate of what you already have, it's a code so you can share it with someone who doesn't. But it has to be used in 10 days.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    NINTENDO DOWNLOAD HIGHLIGHTS NEW DIGITAL CONTENT FOR NINTENDO SYSTEMS - MAR. 15, 2012

Mar. 15, 2012

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo eShop
    Sonic the Hedgehog™: Triple Trouble – Race to retrieve Chaos Emeralds that have been scattered across the planet Mobius. Loop, blast and super-spin-dash through six zones, five bonus rounds and a wild 3D stage. (For Nintendo 3DS™)

Shinobi™ – An evil force emanating from Neo City has captured your fellow students, and only you can save them. Attack with your powerful katana as you battle for their freedom. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Dragon Crystal™ – Pass through 30 worlds in search of the Magic Goblet. Blaze a trail through the treacherous labyrinths of four magic kingdoms, collecting weapons, armor, magic books, potions, rods and rings as you go. (For Nintendo 3DS)

Nintendo Video™
    Kid Icarus™ 3D Anime – Nintendo is partnering with renowned Japanese animation studios to celebrate the Kid Icarus franchise and bring their latest creations exclusively to Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Video. The first anime series, Thanatos Rising, comes from Production I.G. Look for videos from Shaft, Inc. and Studio 4°C, coming soon! (For Nintendo 3DS)

Also new this week:
    • Pirates Assault (Nintendo eShop / Nintendo DSiWare™)
    • Samurai Shodown IV: Amakusa's Revenge™ (Virtual Console™ for Wii™)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit:http://www.news2know.net/nintendo/download1xDvN47y.php.

In addition to video games available at retail stores, Nintendo also offers a variety of content that people can download directly to their systems. Nintendo adds new titles to the Nintendo eShop for the Nintendo 3DS™ system, to the Nintendo DSi™ Shop for the Nintendo DSi system and to the Wii™ Shop Channel for the Wii console at 9 a.m. Pacific time on Thursdays.

The Nintendo eShop is a cash-based service and features games, applications and videos in both 2D and 3D. Users can add money to their virtual wallets using a credit card or by purchasing a Nintendo 3DS Prepaid Card at a retail store and entering the code from the card.

The Wii Shop Channel offers games and applications and uses Wii Points™, which can be purchased via the Wii Shop Channel. The Nintendo DSi Shop offers games and applications and uses Nintendo DSi Points™, which can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Wii Points Card™ and Nintendo DSi Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one card must be redeemed in either the Wii Shop Channel or the Nintendo DSi Shop, respectively. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that Wii, Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage some of the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wii, http://www.nintendo.com/3ds or http://www.nintendo.com/ds/.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited March 2012
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    @NintendoAmerica is doing a twitter contest today for a free eShop game. Follow @NintendoAmerica and tweet between 11 AM and 7 PM EST today with the hashtag #eShop why you love the eShop.

Prize is one of the following: Sakura Samurai: Art of the Sword, Pushmo, Mighty Switch Force, or VVVVVV.

Worst case, if you own them all or get a duplicate of what you already have, it's a code so you can share it with someone who doesn't. But it has to be used in 10 days.

But I dun wanna sign up for Twitter. :( Urgh.

Sonic the Hedgehog™: Triple Trouble – Race to retrieve Chaos Emeralds that have been scattered across the planet Mobius. Loop, blast and super-spin-dash through six zones, five bonus rounds and a wild 3D stage. (For Nintendo 3DS™)

I thought that had been retconned out, franchise-wide.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012

Whoever wrote that originally didn't know that.

And it was never retconned out. It was never Mobious at all in the games. Only the cartoon/comics.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

And it was never retconned out. It was never Mobious at all in the games. Only the cartoon/comics.

I could have sworn it was something that was invented by Sega of America until Japan basically said "WTFRUDOING"

FU7kFbw.png

I could have sworn it was something that was invented by Sega of America until Japan basically said "WTFRUDOING"

http://sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Mobius

Looks like you're right. Must have tried to block it from my memory but I think I do remember some mention of Mobious in one of the manuals.
    Mobius is the planet that the Sonic the Hedgehog characters are from in SatAM, Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic Underground, and the comics. Mostly anthropomorphs live there. Note that while originally, some of the American storylines also had Sonic games set on Mobius, the original Japanese manuals have always had Sonic living on an unnamed planet, and since post-Sonic Adventure games have followed the Japanese storylines in all regions;it's safe to say Sonic has always lived on unnamed planet in the games.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Niceguyeddie616Niceguyeddie616 All you feed me is PUFFINS! I need NOURISHMENT!Registered User regular
    Sonic Triple Trouble is still a very fun game, but I have no idea how to get to the special stages. Also, I found a glitch with the rocket boots which lets me keep them as long as I want.

Anyone else picking any of these up?

Sonic Triple Trouble is still a very fun game, but I have no idea how to get to the special stages. Also, I found a glitch with the rocket boots which lets me keep them as long as I want.

Anyone else picking any of these up?

Since it's one of the best Sonic Game Gear games, IMO, I'll be getting it once I get home.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I'm a little late to the party, but never mind that.

I saw this video posted on Joystiq about the Game Gear emulator that they programmed for the thing. It's a small video that does a lot to show what the features of the thing is, I thought it was pretty interesting.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/14/game-gear-emulation-outclasses-the-other-3ds-virtual-console-gam/

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dragon Crystal is kind of a must buy for me.

Mainly because it's only $3, so why the hell not. But it's also a roguelike and therefore infinitely replayable, it's much closer to Genesis's Fatal Labyrinth than other GG games are to their console counterparts, and I get to check out the Game Gear interface which is supposed to have quite a few nice emulation options. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    But it's also a roguelike

Tell me more, how's the interface?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    edited March 2012
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    But it's also a roguelike

Tell me more, how's the interface?

Old school and crappy! :P It's a simple game compared to something like Nethack, but it can still provide that fix. I played a lot of the Genesis counterpart back in the day. It's got most of the staples: weapons, armor, scrolls, potions, rods (wands), rings. Items start out unidentified ("brown potion") and there are positive and negative effects for most item types. You have to keep your hunger meter up by finding food, which is what provides natural healing. Rooms and corridors are set up like Nethack, corridors are unlit and are revealed as you walk through them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOE9aafGQ9A

By the way this player is kind of terrible at it.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dragon Crystal is an uncommonly good deal at 3 dollars.

Yes, it is a very basic roguelike. You only need to get to dungeon level 30, there's only like ten items in every category and hell, you can even buy up to three continues depending on how much gold you have but it's still really awesome.

I'm on floor 24 right now with my death blade, mystic armor (low AC but RUSTPROOF, good lord rust proof) and my Food/Ogre rings yet I still don't feel entirely safe. There are way too many level draining strength draining evil monsters to make me feel entirely safe.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Ok, so I hate Tower Defense games....hate them so much. I don't find enjoyment out of them. I had someone talk me into buying Pixel Junk Monsters because they swore it would turn me into a lover of the genre. I hate that game, and found nothing at all fun about it. It was frustrating and boring and ugh.

I just needed to say that before I say: I love Rolling Western! I cannot believe it! Maybe because it's part action game where you get to take part in the protecting of the town instead of just dancing around like a moron trying to change the color of my tower's flag...but I don't know. It's charming, fun, there are lots of little secrets hiding around, and the controls just work wonderfully.

So far, Dillon is one of my favorite characters Nintendo has created in a long time.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Shinobi sounds pretty interesting, as does the Sonic game. Anyone have any details about those? I never had a Game Gear, so I missed out on this kinda thing!

• SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    Holy shit. I owned Dragon Crystal as a kid until it just randomly disappeared one day. I barely even remember playing it, just that the box looked interesting so I got it for my birthday one year.

Time to take a trip on the nostalgia train.

edited March 2012
    Okie done...was playing some Mario Kart tonight, Maka Wuhu came up, I was the only one out of eight that didn't use the shortcut, and the race timed out on me.

That's enough for tonight.

Edit: I may be losing my mind but I think the "Power" LED on the virtual Game Gear system dimmed when the battery in my 3DS got low...which I think is the same behavior the actual Game Gear showed...neat.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Okie done...was playing some Mario Kart tonight, Maka Wuhu came up, I was the only one out of eight that didn't use the shortcut, and the race timed out on me.

That's enough for tonight.

Edit: I may be losing my mind but I think the "Power" LED on the virtual Game Gear system dimmed when the battery in my 3DS got low...which I think is the same behavior the actual Game Gear showed...neat.

That's terrible. :(

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ok, so I hate Tower Defense games....hate them so much. I don't find enjoyment out of them. I had someone talk me into buying Pixel Junk Monsters because they swore it would turn me into a lover of the genre. I hate that game, and found nothing at all fun about it. It was frustrating and boring and ugh.

I just needed to say that before I say: I love Rolling Western! I cannot believe it! Maybe because it's part action game where you get to take part in the protecting of the town instead of just dancing around like a moron trying to change the color of my tower's flag...but I don't know. It's charming, fun, there are lots of little secrets hiding around, and the controls just work wonderfully.

So far, Dillon is one of my favorite characters Nintendo has created in a long time.

I have no idea why they would suggest pixel junk monsters to you knowing you hated tower defense. They must have been playing a joke on you or something, because that is one of the hardest tower defense games. I love tower defense games and I don't even like pixel junk monsters.

If anything I'd suggest plants vs. zombies. It's hard to hate that game, that is before they ported it to everything with a screen and still continue to charge 15-20 dollars for it.

edit: speaking of game gear games, does anyone remember a tetris like game that used fruits or something? It might have used other items too, but I specifically remember fruits. I remember someone bringing that to school in my elementary days and I loved it. It made me jealous of the game gear and I loved my gameboy.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Sounds like Columns. Even though screenshots usually show it with gems, you could switch it to fruit or card suits. It was fun, but never clicked with me to the extent of Tetris.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah! You're right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpNNnIsY8y8

I don't know why I liked this game so much. I'd buy this for the 3DS if it ever came out. It'd be cool to have it on the go for something that isn't as big as a brick and die in an hour.

edit: Oh, that says sega master system. Is it the same game though? It looks like it.

anoffday on
    edited March 2012
    Shinobi sounds pretty interesting, as does the Sonic game. Anyone have any details about those? I never had a Game Gear, so I missed out on this kinda thing!

The Sonic the Hedgehog Game Gear games are much slower paced than their Genesis counterparts, due both in part to the Game Gear's less powerful hardware and the limited distance you can see ahead of you. But instead of speed you get a lot of great platforming and some level exploration in the manner of finding the Chaos Emerald in specific stages (Think Sonic CD's "Find the Robot Generator" mechanic.)

Great games for the Game Gear and great games for the time, but if you're not a Sonic fan I don't think you'd like them very much.
    anoffday wrote: »
    Yeah! You're right.

I don't know why I liked this game so much. I'd buy this for the 3DS if it ever came out. It'd be cool to have it on the go for something that isn't as big as a brick and die in an hour.

edit: Oh, that says sega master system. Is it the same game though? It looks like it.

Like Tetris, Columns was on every Sega platform imaginable at the time. I had the Game Gear version as well.

I distinctly remember enjoying the Streets of Rage Game Gear titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vux4t3ppSpQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAaroXTm4Wg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png

Sega announced that Columns GG was coming to 3DS last March. :) The other game they announced that hasn't come out yet is Sonic Drift 2, the kart racer.

http://andriasang.com/comu6s/sega_vc_3ds_lineup/

I'm torn - I remember liking Shinobi on the Game Gear back when I had the system (and enough batteries to play the stupid thing). The thing is I really don't want Nintendo to think that the GameBoy/Game Gear/NES generation is fine for the VC - I really want GBA/SNES/Genesis. The system is more than powerful enough to run 16bit games.

I don't want to play Sonic GG, I want to play Sonic 1,2,3,K from the Genesis. I don't want Sonic Drift at all - it was terrible. I liked Shinobi GG, but would pay more for Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, and Shinobi 3. There are no downloadable fighting games right now - Neo Geo would take care of that. Metroid GB is admittedly fine - but where are the GBA and SNES games? I will pay a ton to have Castlevania 1,2,3,Super IV, and Bloodlines all on a handheld.

There's a reason the PSP was hacked by so many classic gamers, the demand is there and I'm afraid that buying Game Gear and GB games makes Nintendo think I'm content with their current VC offerings.

I'm torn - I remember liking Shinobi on the Game Gear back when I had the system (and enough batteries to play the stupid thing). The thing is I really don't want Nintendo to think that the GameBoy/Game Gear/NES generation is fine for the VC - I really want GBA/SNES/Genesis. The system is more than powerful enough to run 16bit games.

I don't want to play Sonic GG, I want to play Sonic 1,2,3,K from the Genesis. I don't want Sonic Drift at all - it was terrible. I liked Shinobi GG, but would pay more for Revenge of Shinobi, Shadow Dancer, and Shinobi 3. There are no downloadable fighting games right now - Neo Geo would take care of that. Metroid GB is admittedly fine - but where are the GBA and SNES games? I will pay a ton to have Castlevania 1,2,3,Super IV, and Bloodlines all on a handheld.

There's a reason the PSP was hacked by so many classic gamers, the demand is there and I'm afraid that buying Game Gear and GB games makes Nintendo think I'm content with their current VC offerings.

I guess I can understand this viewpoint, but if you just skip an entire handheld generation like that there's a bunch of games that people love (me included) that'll never see the light of day in digital form, and that just makes me sad.

FU7kFbw.png

Can't we have both?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    I find that handheld games don't age in the same graceful manner that their console counterparts do. While there are some games that age well (Tetris GB, Picross, later games like Metroid GB) there are many, many more that don't. The Sonic Game Gear games immediately come to mind - I played them on original release and they just don't hold up well today. The first Super Mario Land is a great example too - it just doesn't hold up well.

Again, I played a ton of these games when they came out - I had a Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket and Game Gear and even with those rose colored glasses on I find the games not worth paying for today.

Sega announced that Columns GG was coming to 3DS last March. :) The other game they announced that hasn't come out yet is Sonic Drift 2, the kart racer.

http://andriasang.com/comu6s/sega_vc_3ds_lineup/

Awesome. Thanks.

I find that handheld games don't age in the same graceful manner that their console counterparts do. While there are some games that age well (Tetris GB, Picross, later games like Metroid GB) there are many, many more that don't. The Sonic Game Gear games immediately come to mind - I played them on original release and they just don't hold up well today. The first Super Mario Land is a great example too - it just doesn't hold up well.

Again, I played a ton of these games when they came out - I had a Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket and Game Gear and even with those rose colored glasses on I find the games not worth paying for today.

Then don't buy them, but don't try to find logic as to why others should be deprived of classic titles. Just because you think a certain game hasn't aged well doesn't mean that everybody else should automatically hate it.

It's why I never understood about bitching about the Wii's Virtual Console...sure there's alot of NES stinkers up available for purchase, but one man's trash is another man's treasure.

FU7kFbw.png
    The problem isn't that they are there. The problem is that Nintendo throttles their release so tightly that we only get 2 or 3 VC games per week. If they continue to think that GG and GB games with the occasional NES game thrown in are OK, then we won't get anything else for months at this rate. I would love a library to include the old handhelds, but it's looking like it will be a long time at this rate before we see anything else and people buying the games will only make it take longer.

The problem isn't that they are there. The problem is that Nintendo throttles their release so tightly that we only get 2 or 3 VC games per week. If they continue to think that GG and GB games with the occasional NES game thrown in are OK, then we won't get anything else for months at this rate. I would love a library to include the old handhelds, but it's looking like it will be a long time at this rate before we see anything else and people buying the games will only make it take longer.

I think they're handling it well enough. When you consider that easily half, if not more, of the Game Gear and Game Boy's library won't ever see the light of day on any digital service due to licensing, it's in Nintendo's best interest to keep a slow but steady drip of software on their service.

They want to avoid what happened with the Wii Virtual Console...best to release it a bit at a time rather than have pissy fanboys complain about "Where's the virtual console titles rawr."

FU7kFbw.png
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    They can switch over to doing more consoles once they release Mole Mania, dammit

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I have a massive can't even breathe right head cold right now but managed enough energy to beat Dragon Crystal.

Might have my favorite final floor of any roguelike, though the last seven or eight floors are really difficult mainly because half the enemies are level/strength drainers or weapon/armor rusters.

There is a suit of armor that is rust proof but it has middling AC and there is a book that rust proofs armor but only for one floor and it doesn't work on weapons at all.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • G0DG0D Registered User regular
    They can switch over to doing more consoles once they release Mole Mania, dammit

Seconded.

I lost so many great classic GB games when I was a wee lad. The ones that hurt most were definitely Donkey Kong '94, Pokemon Blue, and Mole Mania. The eShop fixed my DK'94 problem, and I don't think I could go back to Blue after all the other games in the series I've played, so Nintendo needs to ramify the Mole Mania situation, pronto!

As someone who never owned a Nintendo handheld until the Gameboy Advance, I welcome any GB VC games. And even though I owned a Game Gear back in the day, I'd still like to play some of the old gems again.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
This discussion has been closed.