As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GOP Primaries] WI, MD, DC 4/3. Sponsored by cheese, crab cakes, and murder, respectively.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Paul Ryan seems to be angling for a VP spot.

Of course he is, but I'm not sure they'll touch him with his Fuck the Poor budget hanging over their heads.

Perhaps we should have a VP poll? Who we think is most likely to get the VP nod.

Because if so I:

Nominate Marco Rubio.

Because never underestimate the GOP stupidity when it comes to trying to court minorities. This is the same party that thought Sarah Palin would let them get Hillary Clinton's female supporters.

Suggestion for a new thread.

Rubio's off the table. He's running for president in the next general election, not this one.

• _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I hate when they talk about "the economy" as if

- it is a thing
    - it, as a thing, does other things

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Rubio's off the table. He's running for president in the next general election, not this one.

What better way to lay the groundwork? If Romney loses he becomes the front runner by default and unlike every other loser in the race he has a senate seat to go back to.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.

What better way to lay the groundwork? If Romney loses he becomes the front runner by default and unlike every other loser in the race he has a senate seat to go back to.

You don't have to be the VP to lay groundwork. Romney's doing just fine without that.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I still think it'll be a Paul.

Lh96QHG.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

You don't have to be the VP to lay groundwork. Romney's doing just fine without that.

Is he?

edited April 2012
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Is he?

He's curbstomping the other candidates IIRC. The nomination is his to lose, which is very unlikely.

Harry Dresden on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    He has more power as far as fiscal policy as chair of the Budget Committee.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular

Of course he is, but I'm not sure they'll touch him with his Fuck the Poor budget hanging over their heads.

Perhaps we should have a VP poll? Who we think is most likely to get the VP nod.

Because if so I:

Nominate Marco Rubio.

Because never underestimate the GOP stupidity when it comes to trying to court minorities. This is the same party that thought Sarah Palin would let them get Hillary Clinton's female supporters.

Suggestion for a new thread.

I'd still say Susana Martinez, but not that confidently.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't say curbstomping, that's something decisive. This is more like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnOZRVZocbE

Lh96QHG.png
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

- it is a thing

The economy got me this job after they de-regulated the industry and let the market work.

If things are goin' fine here then all you gotta do is recreate it, just on a larger scale.

simple

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

...now somebody has to remake that scene in which Michael (Romney) is trying to fire Creed (Santorum) and Creed talks him out of it.

KalTorak on
  • TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular

It's amazing how well that sums up Romney's performance as the 'inevitable nominee'.

Also, yes, the new thread should have a VP poll.

• TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    Huntsman is up to 7.3% of the vote in D.C. with 43% reporting.

Huntsman is up to 7.3% of the vote in D.C. with 43% reporting.

Bet he's kicking himself now.

Lh96QHG.png
  • SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

It's amazing how well that sums up Romney's performance as the 'inevitable nominee'.

I thought Romney was more about shooting at squirrels or rabbits.

Small varmints, if you will.

SammyF on
  • MillMill Registered User regular
    I still think it'll be a Paul.

I think it's a long shot for either one, since they'd want to appeal to the base that doesn't care for Romney. I know the GOP has better drone voters than the dems do but Romney is probably one of the few things that could potentially cause a sizable chunk to stay home. Making matters worse for Romney is that there are already cases where the primary has left a bad taste in the mouths of GOP voters and it really doesn't matter who is to blame for that. Take VA for example, it's not his fault that Santorum and Gingrich failed to get on the ballot but people where still pissed that their choices were him and Paul.

As for Rubio, I would think being the VP for Romney would be a death blow to any 2016 presidential aspirations. Even if Obama wins by a slim margin, it just going to taint one's political career nationally. One of two things will happen after 2012 if Romney loses. The party is either forced back to the center, at which point if you were the 2012 VP choice, you're going to be viewed as too conservative, but this outcome doesn't seem likely. The likely outcome is the party is going to sprint further to the right, at which point you get viewed as the running mate of the guy who wasn't conservative enough and ergo you weren't conservative enough either.

With the above in mind, I'm willing to bet they pick Santorum because then it'll be easier to discard him during the 2016 primary and it will make the anti-Romney base happier for this year. If they don't go with him, they might not be able to appease the anti-Romney base and in 2016 they'll be fighting against the "it's his turn tradition" because anyone outside the rabid fundie base can see that the guy is a terrible candidate that will be crucified in a general presidential election and lose by a landslide.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    Santorum is toxic outside of the GOP. He is even worse the Palin in that regard.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular
    Santorum is toxic outside of the GOP. He is even worse the Palin in that regard.

Maybe, if this campaign has proven anything it is that propaganda works. A man as toxic as Santorum was in 2008 loses to Obama by (on average) less than 10%. If the media decides to roll over for him in the general as much as they have in the primary for dramatic purposes the stain and the smell of Santorum will go unnoticed.

Is he?

He's curbstomping the other candidates IIRC. The nomination is his to lose, which is very unlikely.

If I remember correctly, McCain secured the nom in half the time back in 2008. If anything, Romney's only having an "easy" time because the rest of the field is absolutely terrible and he's perceived as being the least bad option.

Is he?

If I remember correctly, McCain secured the nom in half the time back in 2008. If anything, Romney's only having an "easy" time because the rest of the field is absolutely terrible and he's perceived as being the least bad option.

Agreed.

• SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    Malkor wrote: »

- it is a thing

The economy got me this job after they de-regulated the industry and let the market work.

If things are goin' fine here then all you gotta do is recreate it, just on a larger scale.

simple

Yes, this worked so well last time we tried it and wasn't responsible for the complete breakdown of our economic system. Soooo Simple.

gotsig.jpg
  • sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular
    Romney reminds me of Kerry. Wishywashy, unlikeable, seemed to be entitled.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular

Is he?

Agreed.

Don't forget, "outspending his opponents pretty massively." Isn't it like a factor of 5 just with his SuperPACs?

Boring7 wrote: »

Is he?

Agreed.

Don't forget, "outspending his opponents pretty massively." Isn't it like a factor of 5 just with his SuperPACs?

It sure is fun watching Romney burning through his war chest before even getting to the general election. :twisted:

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Is he?

Agreed.

It sure is fun watching Romney burning through his war chest before even getting to the general election. :twisted:

you think his war chest has a bottom to get to?

you're optimistic!

Romney reminds me of Kerry. Wishywashy, unlikeable, seemed to be entitled.

But he wants to end entitlements!

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Well, Sarah Palin said today that the GOP nominee should pick Allen West as VP.

Yes, this douchebag:

200px-Allen_West,_Official_Portrait,_112th_Congress.jpg

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Under what logic? "He's fully black, so the ticket would be half-black, and the Dem ticket is only a quarter-black?"

• Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Sad thing is: That's probably not too far from the truth.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.

Is he?

Agreed.

you're optimistic!

No, it won't have any significant effect on the general. What it does is piss Romney & his investors off for having to burn truckloads of cash they were sure was an easy win for him.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Really, this is Palin-Moon-Logic. Who the hell knows what she thinks. For all we know she could think 2+2=Purple.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
    DoctorArch wrote: »
    Really, this is Palin-Moon-Logic. Who the hell knows what she thinks. For all we know she could think 2+2=Purple.

That is a terrible insult to the moon.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Is he?

Well, in 2008 pretty much every state was winner-take-all, and Super Tuesday had far more states vote. Hard to draw parallels when the process has changed so much.

Salvation122 on
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote: »

That is a terrible insult to the moon.

The moon is nowhere near as dense as Sarah Palin. 3.346 g/cm3 is peanuts compared to Sarah

Is he?

Agreed.

you're optimistic!

No, it won't have any significant effect on the general. What it does is piss Romney & his investors off for having to burn truckloads of cash they were sure was an easy win for him.

Technically, should every dollar spent in the primary be one less to spend in the general. I mean contributions are pretty much unlimited now, so any money burnt comes off the total.

Or am I wrong?

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    You're wrong.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    Or rather, in this post Citizens United world, you're wrong.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    No, it was wrong before. Primary campaigns and presidential campaigns have different pots.

In fact back when you had contributor maximums this was a decent deal because it's not like you're going to ever tap out the rich with a measely few grand twice where you could in a brutal campaign run them dry in a PAC blowing millions to win some flyover state that won't matter at all in the presidential.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
    No, it was wrong before. Primary campaigns and presidential campaigns have different pots.

In fact back when you had contributor maximums this was a decent deal because it's not like you're going to ever tap out the rich with a measely few grand twice where you could in a brutal campaign run them dry in a PAC blowing millions to win some flyover state that won't matter at all in the presidential.

So wouldn't that mean that all this spending is now bad for Romney? What am I missing?