As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

wtf is going on with Baldur's Gate?

BullioBullio Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Games and Technology
Baldurs-Gate.jpg

So there's this, which spawned articles like this today from sites I've never heard of and bastions of high-quality gaming journalism like Kotaku. What does it all mean? The popular speculation I drudged up from my 2 minutes of Googling yielded the following speculation:

1) An iPad port (site's source code mentions the Infinity Engine, and this would be a great thing to show off at the iPad 3 reveal next week *HINT HINT, damnit!*)
2) A new game (maybe BG3, perhaps an MMO [please, no], or a f2p Facebook game [NO!!])
3) It's not related to BG2 complete being released on Steam (which I guess has been confirmed to happen outside of the Steam registry link?)

The site is registered to this guy, who apparently worked on BG1 and is now with Beamdog. He's not saying anything right now, but is fueling speculation with his latest tweets (whether he means to or not). But judging by his twitter profile pic, he obviously knows something. That's not an expression capable of coming from an ignorant, innocent person. Smug jerk.
/sarcasm

Oh, and the DnD anthology collection with BG 1/2, IWD 1/2, ToEE, and PS:T is still $7 at GamersGate.

EDIT: Completely unhelpful teaser from questionable source complete with misspelled title.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpPU-MtBqrA

steam_sig.png
Bullio on

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Could be a BG3 kickstarter revival for all we know.

Y'know, that'd be really awesome actually. Probably not the case, but still.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Judging from so many other "reboots" these days...

Expect it to be a multiplayer FPS based on the Baldurs Gate license. But instead of being based on D&D it'll be a reimagining in modern times with technology instead of magic.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »

Atari own the rights to anything D&D related videogame wise, so I imagine they would not need to do so.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    <!-- February 28, 2012 -->
    <!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. -->

<!-- And then... it returned. Better than it was before. -->

<!-- Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all. -->

<!-- As the silver moon waxes and wanes, so too does life. -->

If this is a remake or sequel somebody can take all my money.

Burnage on
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I don't know who this guy is or what rights he has to Baldur's Gate franchise, but getting your hopes up for a full fledged sequel because of this is just silly. Something like a new port sounds more reasonable. And that's assuming it's not just a troll.

Zek on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Betting iOS port.

• MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Well they are re-doing Neverwinter Nights, maybe they are getting a heads up on a Baldur's Gate with the same engine?

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

Atari own the rights to anything D&D related videogame wise, so I imagine they would not need to do so.

I was just about to ask who holds the rights to BALDUR'S GATE. Are you sure it's not Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast ?

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    February 28, 2012
    Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine
    For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory.
    And then… it returned. Better than it was before.

Want. WANT WANT WANT.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Judging from so many other "reboots" these days...

Expect it to be a multiplayer FPS based on the Baldurs Gate license. But instead of being based on D&D it'll be a reimagining in modern times with technology instead of magic.

And only pay lip-service to DnD in calling things like the terrorists "Beholders" and similar. See, it's totally the same game! We even use the same word that they did every now and again in the previous game!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Betting iOS port.

These need to stop. Seriously. I'm not anti-ipod games or anything, but games like Chrono Trigger and FF are classics and porting games like that to something that has no buttons and possibly Kayne West songs on it too is just freaking embarrassing. Please don't add BG to this shamefulness.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Power Word: Headshot.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    To be fair, since the Infinity Engine games were almost entirely mouse-driven to begin with, they make much more sense on touchscreen platforms as opposed to something like Megaman-fucking-X.

• VoroVoro Registered User regular

I'm pretty sure the aftermath of the lawsuit against Atari ended with Hasbro getting the license back. However, I don't have high hopes given how well Hasbro worked with Troika on TToEE.

XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
    edited February 2012
    Fairchild wrote: »

I was just about to ask who holds the rights to BALDUR'S GATE. Are you sure it's not Hasbro/Wizards of the Coast ?

Yup. Hasbro owned it last, and their videogame arm retained the rights. Videogame arm was sold to Infogrames, who bought Atari, who later renamed themselves into the current company we know as Atari. But like I said, just the video game right.

Corpekata on
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    My greatest fear....
    "We want Baldur's Gate to appeal to a wider audience!"

Worth pointing out Beamdog did do those MDK HD remakes. Bioware games, but owned by Interplay so not exactly set in stone.

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Betting iOS port.

That's where my money is too.

SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    From the guy's latest twitter I call troll.

steam_sig.png
  • striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I say troll to. I did a quick trace route when I first saw this and it's not just registered with godaddy. As far as I can tell the site is HOSTED by godaddy. If it were anything major coming out of atari I definitely don't think it would be hosted by godaddy unless they were really trying to obfuscate. I suppose it could be a outsourced port or something though.

striderjg on
    steam_sig.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    wtf is going on with Baldur's Gate?

Nothing. It is mercifully dead.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So you think, at least until we reboot it as a scintillating modern day FPS set in the middle east against Taliban insurgent Orcs.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    <!-- February 28, 2012 -->
    <!-- Shadowy Figure- Raise Dead : Infinity Engine -->

<!-- For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. -->

<!-- And then... it returned. Better than it was before. -->

<!-- Pore over the tapestries and works of art hanging from our walls if you wish, Child of Bhaal... perhaps you will find a clue. But patience, ah... patience would reveal it all. -->

<!-- As the silver moon waxes and wanes, so too does life. -->

If this is a remake or sequel somebody can take all my money.

Take all of my Gold!

Oh god. Oh god. Oh god. I wants it. I wants it bad.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    So long as the Infinity Engine is involved, I'll allow it.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    So you think, at least until we reboot it as a scintillating modern day FPS set in the middle east against Taliban insurgent Orcs.

Time stop.

US Greater Cruise Missile Storm

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »

Time stop.

Summon Dick Cheney (50/50 chance he will attack the summoner)

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    I'll just say that I don't want modern day Bioware to lay even a goddamn pinky on it if it's a new game.

• FremFrem Registered User regular
    There was some fan-made engine that let you dump the data files from some Infinity Engine games into it that would make them run on Android (and iOS until Apple ban-hammered it). It apparently worked pretty decently. I would not be opposed to an official port.

I'm playing through Planescape: Torement on my laptop with a high-res mod, and it's pretty much all clicking. Well, with occasional shortcut key presses because the mod made every button absurdly tiny.

• subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    "I feel it's important that everyone knows just how much we care about this franchise. We're all big fans, really HUGE fans of the series here, really! And that’s why we’re so intent on keeping true to the spirit of the games.”

*Releases a fantasy FPS inspired by CoD.*

Add 2 bonus points for each of the following criteria:

In the lead up to release:
    - The devs will continually assure people how huge fans they are of the first games, but only in the most vague terms.
    - They also talk about their "exciting" and innovative new features, which actually look relatively generic and uninteresting
    - They get repeatedly asked in the gaming press how they feel about the hardcore fanbase response (inevitably unpleasant and vitriolic)
    - They respond in mildly mocking tone that "This is OUR take on the series" and that fans only want an exact replica of the original with moar graphics.
    - A controversial marketing faux-pas at some point. Like sending a severed head to people or something, I don't know.

After release:
    - The singleplayer campaign is overly linear and with dull gameplay because it took all the wrong lessons from the games it's imitating.
    - There is multiplayer but it feels tacked on because they feel it's a necessary requirement today.
    - The multiplayer is extremely dependent on persistent unlocks that aren't fun and take forever to get everything.
    - The multiplayer dies on its feet and you can barely find a game 3 months after release.
    - One year down the line, an off-the-cuff remark by a publisher implies it didn't do as well as hoped for all the marketing money spent.

If the title accrues 10 points or higher, you will be gifted a free copy of... something. Maybe Wing Commander Arena.

subedii on
    subedii wrote: »
    - The singleplayer campaign is overly linear and with dull gameplay because it took all the wrong lessons from the games it's imitating.

"We feel Irenicus' Dungeon was the high point of Baldur's Gate 2, so we used it as the inspiration for the entire single player campaign."

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Baldurs Gate belonged to interplay, separate from the D&D license.

So either someone bought it off of them, or the hobo and his rats have decided to start working on something else now that Fallout Online is dead.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I would love to play a first or third person shooter with a modern day commando squad fighting their way through a fantasy setting.

Kinda like ArenaNet's April fools gag from last year.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited February 2012
    If Bioware's copyright page is correct, no, Interplay really doesn't own much of Baldur's Gate, certainly not the name. They're listed as having copyright to "portions" of BG2, but not much else.
    BioWare and other companies’ Copyrights and Trademarks

The BioWare logo, BioWare, the BioWare hands logo, the BW logo and The BioWare Infinity Engine, are all registered trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd..

BALDUR'S GATE: © 1998 EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.. All Rights Reserved. Baldur's Gate, Forgotten Realms, the Forgotten Realms logo, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the AD&D logo, and the TSR logo are trademarks of TSR, Inc., a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc, and are used by Interplay under license. All Rights Reserved. Interplay, the Interplay logo, Black Isle Studios, the Black Isle Studios logo, and "By Gamers, For Gamers." are trademarks of Interplay Productions. All Rights Reserved. The BioWare logo is the trademark of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.. All Rights Reserved. Dolby, the Dolby Surround Logo and the double-D symbols are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories Licensing Corporation. All Rights Reserved. Exclusively licensed and distributed by Interplay Productions. All other trademarks and copyrights are the property of their respective owners.

BALDUR'S GATE Tales of the Sword Coast: © 1999 EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.. All Rights Reserved. Bioware Infinity Engine ©1998 EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.. All Rights Reserved. GameSpyLite (c) 1999 GameSpy Industries, Inc. HEAT.NET (c) 1998 SegaSoft Networks, Inc. Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate Tales of the Sword Coast, Forgotten Realms, the Forgotten Realms logo, Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, the AD&D logo, TSR and the TSR logo are trademarks of TSR, Inc., a subsidiary of Wizards of the Coast, Inc., and are used by Interplay under license. Black Isle Studios and the Black Isle Studios logo, Interplay, the Interplay logo, and "By Gamers. For Gamers." are trademarks of Interplay Productions. BioWare, the BioWare logo, and The BioWare Infinity Engine are trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd.. Dolby, the Dolby Surround Logo and the double-D symbol are trademarks of Dolby Laboratories Licensing Corporation. Creative, Environmental Audio, and the Environmental Audio Logo are trademarks of Creative Technology Ltd. GameSpy and the GameSpy logo are registered trademarks of GameSpy Industries, Inc. All Rights Reserved HEAT, HEAT.NET and the HEAT logo are trademarks of SegaSoft Networks, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Exclusively licensed and distributed by Interplay Productions. All other trademarks and copyrights are property of their respective owners.

BALDUR’S GATE II: SHADOWS OF AMN is © TSR, Inc. All rights reserved. The BioWare Infinity Engine is © EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd. All rights reserved. Portions © Interplay Entertainment Corp. All rights reserved. The BioWare Infinity Engine, the BioWare logo, and BioWare are trademarks of EA International (Studio and Publishing) Ltd. All rights reserved. All other trademarks and copyrights are property of their respective owners. All rights reserved. Baldur’s Gate II was developed by BioWare.

http://www.bioware.com/copyright

Voro on
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    the site is down for me.
    tbh I'd prefer if they started a new fantasy adventure, the whole baalspawn saga was wrapped up pretty nicely.

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    I would love to play a first or third person shooter with a modern day commando squad fighting their way through a fantasy setting.

RAMIREZ! That Beholder only suffers from +1 attacks, use your +1 NVG bonus!

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular

Oh hell yeah. You play a squad leader for a team of marines who run into some kind of rip in spacetime. You and your squad get chucked into the other world where it's all high fantasy. Then you gotta survive in a world filled with magic, monsters and non-humans. No batteries or power plugs anywhere, no extra ammunition for your firearms, no idea what anyone is saying.

Open world survival action team-based shooter rpg.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Looks like the sites been updated. There's character portraits in the background, apparently the music is broken at the moment, but I think that's just a bug. Not seeing any new comments in the source.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i goddamn hate this new worldwide trend of announcing of announcements.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Soon they'll be announcing that they are going to announce an announcement about the announcement of the new game Announcer 12, where you play someone who talks in a really loud voice about new things and you have to choose which thing to say to get people to not try to kill you.

Yeah I don't like it either. It's blatant manipulation of human curiosity for commercial gain. I pretty much loathe anything that doesn't even bother hiding that it's pushing your buttons. I mean, jesus, they could at least try.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited February 2012
    I like that, absent any information at all, this thread is just chock-full of people quivering with anticipation for the chance to rend their clothing and gnash their teeth over their violated childhoods.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif