As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

wtf is going on with Baldur's Gate?

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I like that, absent any information at all, this thread is just chock-full of people quivering with anticipation for the chance to rend their clothing and gnash their teeth over their violated childhoods.

I don't know about you, but I already have my pants off and if they want to violate MY childhood they will have to bring it.

Because as far as I am concerned it is already brung.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I like that, absent any information at all, this thread is just chock-full of people quivering with anticipation for the chance to rend their clothing and gnash their teeth over their violated childhoods.

I'm just joining in because the jokes strikes me as funny. I have a feeling quite a few of the posters are doing the same and the actual anticipators and primed future gnashers are fewer than you might think.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    I may actually be serious. I will leave that up to the reader to determine.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I mean, I like to give the forum a little more credit than suggesting that posters here enjoy frothing their mouths in anticipatory rage at snippets of rumors and non-answers as opposed to dorking around albeit cynically.

but shit what do I know

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I was completely serious about disliking the marketing strategy, but that's a different issue and was meant as an aside. My stance on the future of this thing is basically whatever. I have none until I know more.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    It better not just be a port, i own enough copies of this game as it is.

• Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    I'd like to play Baldur's Gate on my Android phone.

Except my eyes would probably burst from squinting.

If they did it well, I might be interested in iOS versions of BG and BG2.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I would be really interested in a BG esque game, not necessarily related to any D&D franchise at all though.

Like if Dragon Age 1 or 2 had actually been good - that is the game I would be interested in.

PSN: Honkalot
  • A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

I'm just joining in because the jokes strikes me as funny. I have a feeling quite a few of the posters are doing the same and the actual anticipators and primed future gnashers are fewer than you might think.

Considering the dreck I see regarding remakes around here I don't ascribe any of it to being jokes.

• Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    this was linked on Gaf, I don't think it was mentioned here yet (nm, it's in the OP, heh)

http://www.beamdog.com/forum/forums/general-discussion/topics/balders-gate-1-remake

beamdog is a digital distrubiton service for games and - I don't know what to make of this

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm thinking it'll be a port/remaster, not a full on remake.

EVOL on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    they worked on MDK 2 HD before, sooo

BG HD?

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    It'd be kinda pointless though, you can just widescreen patch it or play TuTu for the BG2 classes/mechanics.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    Yeah I've no idea what the point of a BG remake is. You going to replace beautiful hand drawn art with...other hand drawn art?

I suppose you could rework it to run on 4E instead of AD&D. It's probably just a port.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    I would love a Baldur's Gate with an updated engine and better UI; the UI is the main thing inhibiting my playthrough of BGII at the moment.

• tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    If someone had the original hand drawn art then I'd bet it could be scanned in at a much higher resolution allowing you to play at high res without being zoomed out 5000 miles.

I don't know if I'd want someone to do anything to the game other than that really. I know it's silly to say so, but I don't think we need a re-imagined BG2. It would work if EVERYTHING engine wise and story wise was identical. Changing anything from that side is like saying 'With our new release of Shakespear classics, we've added a few modern twists the story needs..."

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Yeah I've no idea what the point of a BG remake is. You going to replace beautiful hand drawn art with...other hand drawn art?

I suppose you could rework it to run on 4E instead of AD&D. It's probably just a port.

You leave my THAC0 alone goddamnit. It's the perfect system.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

You could increase the resolution, improve the UI, add in new quests/areas, improve character models, upgrade it to at least 3.5, etc. Just an HD makeover? I'd be all over that.

Also, Planescape Torment, because as much as I want to try that game, the tiny ass resolution gives me a literal headache.

Twitch Streaming basically all week
    SniperGuyGaming on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Is any of Baldur's Gate's art "hand drawn"?

I'm pretty sure the sprites and backgrounds are based on 3d renders...
    A duck! wrote: »
    Considering the dreck I see regarding remakes around here I don't ascribe any of it to being jokes.

You mean reboots? Yes, they are awful.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i goddamn hate this new worldwide trend of announcing of announcements.

I can't agree more with this statement.

steam_sig.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Baldur's Gate without Tutu and some other fan mods (like Unfinished Business + BG1NPC) has actually aged really badly, in my opinion. It's not like a remake would be completely pointless.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Baldur's Gate without Tutu and some other fan mods (like Unfinished Business + BG1NPC) has actually aged really badly, in my opinion. It's not like a remake would be completely pointless.

Even with Tutu I'm sorry to say I found BG1 unplayable when I picked it up a few years back. I can tell there's potentially a fantastic game hidden in there somewhere, but in these modern times I'm afraid I don't have the patience to master the system required to get to it. The blame lies 50/50 with the UI and archaic D&D ruleset.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:

You could increase the resolution, improve the UI, add in new quests/areas, improve character models, upgrade it to at least 3.5, etc. Just an HD makeover? I'd be all over that.

Also, Planescape Torment, because as much as I want to try that game, the tiny ass resolution gives me a literal headache.

I never get far in Planescape Torment because I find it really, really hard to navigate the greenbrown blur of the city areas on my laptop. Like, I often find myself systematically clicking in a grid pattern just to figure out what's supposed to be walkable. :(

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I would buy a 3/3.5/4e BG 1 or 2 so fast. So fast. They could literally leave everything else identical and just update the mechanics and I'd still buy it.

steam_sig.png
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I would be really interested in a BG esque game, not necessarily related to any D&D franchise at all though.

Like if Dragon Age 1 or 2 had actually been good - that is the game I would be interested in.

I thought they were good, with 2 having better worldbuilding and concepts with 1 being better made.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Well, unlike a previous poster, I would love a touch-enabled iOS port of Baldur's Gate. I regularly play the Final Fantasies on my iPhone, and I have a good time with them. I long ago let go of my hipster "Oh my god it has no buttons, AND MAKES PHONE CALLS, it can't have classic games on it!" bent.

That said, it NEEDS To be touch enabled. No fucking virtual D-Pad, which is my #1 complain with the Final Fantasies. I want to be able to touch where I want my characters to walk. The entire thing needs to be 100% touch enabled.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

@Toxic Pickle Here you go, good buddy

JtgVX0H.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Even with Tutu I'm sorry to say I found BG1 unplayable when I picked it up a few years back. I can tell there's potentially a fantastic game hidden in there somewhere, but in these modern times I'm afraid I don't have the patience to master the system required to get to it. The blame lies 50/50 with the UI and archaic D&D ruleset.

Blame lies 100% with user.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    2nd edition for life, son(s).

Also, I quiver in anticipation of anything even remotely BGesqe but expect it just to be some bullshit tablet port/remaster.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »

@Toxic Pickle Here you go, good buddy

How does input work with this on the touch enabled devices? Does it just assume touch = mouse click? Because, that would be rad.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

So's your face.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

So's your face.

iceburn924.gif

JtgVX0H.png
  • The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Speaking of UI overhauls, are there any notable UI overhaul mods for BG2 I should be looking at?

Spells in particular seem like kind of a bear to memorize without tooltips on the action menu.

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Judging from so many other "reboots" these days...

Expect it to be a multiplayer FPS based on the Baldurs Gate license. But instead of being based on D&D it'll be a reimagining in modern times with technology instead of magic.

"Go for the Eyes, Boo! GO FOR THE EYES! YAAAARGH!"

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    So long as I can use a giant space hamster as a mount, I don't care.

For what it's worth, there is an infinity engine emulator for Android. Works pretty well on my Transformer. It also helps that I've the keyboard dock.

• hackswordhacksword WinnipegRegistered User regular
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    i goddamn hate this new worldwide trend of announcing of announcements.

I can't agree more with this statement.

I'd like to take an opportunity to formally announce that, on March 1, 2012, I will announce the date on which I shall annouce whether I agree or disagree with Smaug6's announcement that he or she agrees with Dhalphir's announcement that he or she hates the trend of announcements of announcements.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    BG, like all of the Infinity games, is a thing that I look back fondly upon for many reasons, the gameplay not being one of them.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I could definitely enjoy playing BG/BG2 on iOS (I imagine it would be iPad only). I think it's too much to hope for a new game in the series - the story is pretty much wrapped up and there are probably licensing issues these days.

A tuned up re-release integrating the more popular mods and maybe some extra content would be fun too.