As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

wtf is going on with Baldur's Gate?

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    *sigh* Yet another game I never played. I own it. I bought it when it came out and got discouraged when I realized that my brand new laptop (at the time) didn't really run it that well. Years later I started a game and got as far as some inn. It started to get pretty cool but I was distracted by Half-Life 2, CS:S and GunGame. It's always these damn FPS time sinks that do me in. Oh well, when I build my new PC soon, I'll totally re-buy this on GoG. I still own the original, but I'm lazy, so I'll pay GoG to just make it work immediately.

Of course, if this is a remake... why bother buying the old one?

• CadmusCadmus Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Fawst wrote:
    *sigh* Yet another game I never played. I own it. I bought it when it came out and got discouraged when I realized that my brand new laptop (at the time) didn't really run it that well. Years later I started a game and got as far as some inn. It started to get pretty cool but I was distracted by Half-Life 2, CS:S and GunGame. It's always these damn FPS time sinks that do me in. Oh well, when I build my new PC soon, I'll totally re-buy this on GoG. I still own the original, but I'm lazy, so I'll pay GoG to just make it work immediately.

It's not a remake but they're updating the engine and porting it to iPad/Android, possibly to phones as well. They're also adding a new quest area and a couple new characters. They're doing the same stuff that all the fan improvement packs do, except building it into the game instead of hacking it in (things like BG1 inventory icons in BG2, BG1 in the BG2 engine, etc.)

They were going to redo it in HD like they did with MDK2 but the original art is all lost.

I saw a few people in the thread say stuff along the lines of "I wouldn't trust some random company to do BG right". Just FYI, Minsk was based on a guy name Cameron Tofer's dnd character. Cam is one of the owners of Beamdog, so it's not exactly random dudes. I think there's only 2 guys that weren't involved in the original game.

I think they got Mike Sass to do some new character portraits for them too. If it's not Mike, then whoever it is did an awesome job, my friend that works there showed me one that was painted over a picture of him and it looked perfect.

Cadmus on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Cadmus wrote: »
    Fawst wrote:

It's not a remake but they're updating the engine and porting it to iPad/Android, possibly to phones as well. They're also adding a new quest area and a couple new characters. They're doing the same stuff that all the fan improvement packs do, except building it into the game instead of hacking it in (things like BG1 inventory icons in BG2, BG1 in the BG2 engine, etc.)

They were going to redo it in HD like they did with MDK2 but the original art is all lost.

Er, what? You have a source for all this?

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular

SniperGuy wrote: »
    Fawst wrote:

Er, what? You have a source for all this?

I think he worked there.

Ya, I used to work there. Still have friends working there.

I don't know exactly what they will be releasing but that's what they were working on and what my friend has mentioned.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I certainly hope it's not only to iOS/Android...

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Fawst wrote:

I saw a few people in the thread say stuff along the lines of "I wouldn't trust some random company to do BG right". Just FYI, Minsk was based on a guy name Cameron Tofer's dnd character. Cam is one of the owners of Beamdog, so it's not exactly random dudes. I think there's only 2 guys that weren't involved in the original game.

I think they got Mike Sass to do some new character portraits for them too. If it's not Mike, then whoever it is did an awesome job, my friend that works there showed me one that was painted over a picture of him and it looked perfect.

I don't have a pad or a magic superphone, but if the remaster came out on PC or 360, I would be obligated to buy it, as my old forum name (Draconis) was co-opted in Throne of Bhaal for use as the name of a baddie in a boss fight. Same with Gromnir... and Frozen Yaksman was a forum guy too (though he wasn't a boss fight, he was just a random NPC in the bonus dungeon).

Also, they should track down Gaider and get him to give them his scripts for the improved boss fights, and just make those a toggle, because, seriously, his Demogorgon improved boss fight was the bomb.

Fawst wrote:

I don't have a pad or a magic superphone, but if the remaster came out on PC or 360, I would be obligated to buy it, as my old forum name (Draconis) was co-opted in Throne of Bhaal for use as the name of a baddie in a boss fight. Same with Gromnir... and Frozen Yaksman was a forum guy too (though he wasn't a boss fight, he was just a random NPC in the bonus dungeon).

Also, they should track down Gaider and get him to give them his scripts for the improved boss fights, and just make those a toggle, because, seriously, his Demogorgon improved boss fight was the bomb.

I highly doubt it would be on any console, the controls don't really work with the game very well. They ported MDK2 to wii but that's a totally different story. Personally I wouldn't bet on it being ported to any consoles.

Given the amount of work needed to get it working on PC after getting it working on tablets, I'd expect them to release it on PC as well.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    All of that wonder and whimsy, bam, dead.

Even if it hits PC, I'll probably just load up Tutu for my playthrough then. Though, I'd probably still buy it for the sake of supporting the brand.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Vaguely LightningproofVaguely Lightningproof Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    All this kerfuffle prompted me to dig up a save that was halfway through chapter 2 in BG2 (having completed BG and TOTSC ages ago) that I thought I'd deleted in a reformat. Maybe I'll finally beat this damn thing.

EDIT: Me: "Man, Melf's Acid Arrow sure is useless, I'll unmemorize it and put something more useful there."
    Game: "Hahahaha fuck you guy here's eleventy billion trolls."

Vaguely Lightningproof on
  • SaintElmosWireSaintElmosWire Registered User regular
    I think the iPad/tablets are a great place for theses games to see a revival. Good ports of BG1/2, Icewind, Fallout 1/2, Jagged Alliance 2, mechcommander 1, and some of the Xcoms would function well in the format and maybe finally make me pay apple. Done with care and attention they could introduce some of the greatest games ever made to a whole new audience. Go Beamdog, go.

MvViV.jpg
    edited March 2012
    SightTDW wrote: »

Even if it hits PC, I'll probably just load up Tutu for my playthrough then. Though, I'd probably still buy it for the sake of supporting the brand.

It will definitely be a better experience than running it in Tutu, also, I'm pretty sure they are adding stuff.

Cadmus on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Who knows, maybe it's all that and BG3. I CAN DREAM, SHUT UP.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular

It will definitely be a better experience than running it in Tutu, also, I'm pretty sure they are adding stuff.

I'll take your word. I'm only slightly annoyed by this since I just bought it on GOG the very day the teaser site went up. I will say that if they're looking for features, it would be great if you could still export save files to BG2.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If they converted BG and BG2 to the DnD ruleset IWD2 used, I'd be pretty happy with that.

Hoz on
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular

Is it just BG or a BG/BG2 supergame like what Tutu/Trilogy do?

steam_sig.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    A duck! wrote:
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    I like that, absent any information at all, this thread is just chock-full of people quivering with anticipation for the chance to rend their clothing and gnash their teeth over their violated childhoods.

I'm just joining in because the jokes strikes me as funny. I have a feeling quite a few of the posters are doing the same and the actual anticipators and primed future gnashers are fewer than you might think.

Considering the dreck I see regarding remakes around here I don't ascribe any of it to being jokes.

Oh stop.

I guess I need to clarify, but yes Morninglord is right, and no, I am not genuinely stating this is some inevitable hash up of BG in first person and in the vein of COD. That would be stupid by anyone's standards, even most publishers.

I mean everyone knows a Wii based "Ye Olde Dance Fayre" rhythm action game is a far more likely prospect. Sheesh.

subedii on
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    I feel compelled to start a new game of BG2 with a wild mage. Every time you cast a spell you're flirting with death.
    Mage armour
    WILD SURGE
    Flesh to stone

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I think the iPad/tablets are a great place for theses games to see a revival. Good ports of BG1/2, Icewind, Fallout 1/2, Jagged Alliance 2, mechcommander 1, and some of the Xcoms would function well in the format and maybe finally make me pay apple. Done with care and attention they could introduce some of the greatest games ever made to a whole new audience. Go Beamdog, go.
    Maybe it would be better if it were designed for touch control from the ground up, but avadon didn't really control that well on the iPad, and thats turn based rather than pause and play

steam_sig.png
    Spoit wrote:
    Maybe it would be better if it were designed for touch control from the ground up, but avadon didn't really control that well on the iPad, and thats turn based rather than pause and play

Well if you look at bg/iwd specifically. All characters surrounded by trappable finger-sized circles. Quick buttons can be used for everything, edges of the screen. A two click mouse interface easily changed to a tap/double tap. And swap out the mouse to the edge of the screen to scroll around thing for a putting two fingers on the screen at the same time and drag. And finally the clock in the corner would get used for pause, since we're lacking a spacebar.

I have no idea what they are planning, but that seemed like a doable control scheme to me.

I'd heard that about Avadon, but then again Avadon didn't exactly control great on the PC either.

MvViV.jpg
    Dram wrote: »
    I feel compelled to start a new game of BG2 with a wild mage. Every time you cast a spell you're flirting with death.
    Mage armour
    WILD SURGE
    Flesh to stone

Ah, wild mages.

Funny story. Back in the old Black Isle/Bioware forums, I was a huge proponent of wild mages (Tome of Magic was da bomb, yo). I posted about them all the damn time, how they could implement them easily for BG2. Bio staff were all, "don't be ridiculous."

And then it turned out that one of the programmers had been working on them for months, having had no idea what a wild mage was previous to our forum ranting about them. He was all "Oh, BTW wild mages. Have fun!"

Nahal's Reckless Dweomer was by far the best spell in the game.

Bullio wrote: »

Is it just BG or a BG/BG2 supergame like what Tutu/Trilogy do?

No idea. I'd guess they're just doing BG first and moving it to the BG2 engine.

Once again, don't take any of this as gospel, I haven't worked there in a year and that was before they started working on this. I just know what they wanted to do but a year is a long time to come up with more neat things to do.

Man, a professional job of putting BG on BG2's engine would be awesome. It'd be pretty sweet to play a monk or a kensai or a wild mage through BG1.

• TommattTommatt Registered User regular

Well hearing about BG Is making me want a tablet. If I got one I'd want all those games on it. Would love another shot at xcom

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    if its released on pc i hope mods still work or are easily converted over, i would love to see the new stuff but i can't play bg1 without bg1npc mod or sword coast stratagems anymore.

Deaderinred on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Man, a professional job of putting BG on BG2's engine would be awesome. It'd be pretty sweet to play a monk or a kensai or a wild mage through BG1.

You mean like BGTutu and BGTriliogy mods have done for years?

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    easy tutu is, well, pretty easy to use.
    and it's portable, afaik.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png

I did mention a "professional" version.

Never been a huge fan of mods.

• StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular

Tutu is a lot better than a good deal of "professional" stuff.
    But it's your loss.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Uh...yeah.... most PC games with any sort of modding scene (though BG has surprisingly few) have mods that are far, far better than "professional" releases.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I think I might have to play BG1 without Tutu thanks to an error.

• Vaguely LightningproofVaguely Lightningproof Registered User regular
    Are there any huge differences between the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod and EasyTutu? I've always used BGT but it seems Tutu is more popular for whatever reason.

• The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular

Others have already stated this, but the products put out by modders are sometimes vastly superior to the "professional" work of the game developers. Dismissing them as inferior because they're community-created content is inadvisable; you're missing out on some great stuff.

• Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    Why on earth anyone would want to play an epic, strategy-intensive isometric RPG on a Tablet is beyond me; can you say headache?

It also doesn't fit in with the 'short bursts' style of play you'd expect on a portable device. Some of those later battles can take like a long time, and that's without the lengthy dialogue.

All of which is to say, I absolutely love the games and have frequently slept with them under my pillow, but even I wouldn't want a portable port.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Are there any huge differences between the Baldur's Gate Trilogy mod and EasyTutu? I've always used BGT but it seems Tutu is more popular for whatever reason.

Tutu: Seperate games. BG1 level cap.
    BGT: Games combined into one.

It's personal preference.

edited March 2012
    Why on earth anyone would want to play an epic, strategy-intensive isometric RPG on a Tablet is beyond me; can you say headache?

It also doesn't fit in with the 'short bursts' style of play you'd expect on a portable device. Some of those later battles can take like a long time, and that's without the lengthy dialogue.

All of which is to say, I absolutely love the games and have frequently slept with them under my pillow, but even I wouldn't want a portable port.

I found them really suited to short bursts on my later replays. I would have a save that I played over months, in no real rush to get anywhere cause I had finished it multiple times. I would boot it up play a fight or two, do a quest or area and save to come back later. Maybe just me, but that was a great way to enjoy something I loved so much in the past. Little nostalgic trips. But obviously, to each his own.

SaintElmosWire on
    MvViV.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Well Tutu is still very usable but also pretty outdated at this point. BGT is more compatible with recent mods, if modding is your thing. Though, despite what Disruptor says, there is a surprisingly large number of mods for BG1 and 2 at this point. I think I counted about 600-700 last time I looked, including some with new quest and content areas.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    I think I might have to play BG1 without Tutu thanks to an error.

Unfortunately I was never able to get it to work and started BG1 no tutu. I've gotten some time in, and still think a out restarting after getting tutu to work.

• Silent TristeroSilent Tristero Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I found them really suited to short bursts on my later replays. I would have a save that I played over months, in no real rush to get anywhere cause I had finished it multiple times. I would boot it up play a fight or two, do a quest or area and save to come back later. Maybe just me, but that was a great way to enjoy something I loved so much in the past. Little nostalgic trips. But obviously, to each his own.

That is certainly a possibility with such a degree of familiarity under your belt, and I know what you mean - my subsequent playthroughs are the same; I know how long things take and can chip away at it in comfort.

What I can't work out is how you'd comfortably play something like this for more than 20 minutes on a screen you have to hold at a suitable angle, and still be able to tap with relative precision. We're talking a lot of reading too, even if it's bumped up to a suitable resolution.

Then again, I don't own a tablet, so I don't know exactly how and when people tend to bust them out.

I know they have Avadon and also FF Tactics on there, so I'd hypothetically propose a 'BG Tactics' - the structure of both BG games dramatically altered to an 'episodic', mission-based format, with both familiar and new scenarios from the trilogy, rendered in the infinity engine.

Cutting out the exploration and 'downtime' would be painful, and typing it out became quite the challenge, but it would be a lot more suited to that style of gaming. Also more interesting than just slapping some bigger buttons on it, increasing the font size and calling it a port.

Silent Tristero on
    korodullin wrote: »

Well Tutu is still very usable but also pretty outdated at this point. BGT is more compatible with recent mods, if modding is your thing. Though, despite what Disruptor says, there is a surprisingly large number of mods for BG1 and 2 at this point. I think I counted about 600-700 last time I looked, including some with new quest and content areas.

http://www.gibberlings3.net
    http://www.spellholdstudios.net/
    http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/

http://modlist.pocketplane.net/