As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX Easter Food Poll

David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
edited February 2012 in PAX Archive
If you are going to PAX East and like to eat food, we've got some super quick questions for you!

Thanks!

David Coffman on

• goodtimeshaxorgoodtimeshaxor Registered User regular
    Oh, I forgot to comment:

"I will be looking for meat!"

Indie dev of Lawnmower Challenge | Android Free | iOS | Amazon
    @LunarPeter
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    Hah. I wondered if somehow, in some context, there should be some BAAACOOOON option in there. ;)

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Bumping so this gets a few more views :)

Don't try this at home kids!

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    HAM!!!!!! Its Hamtastic!

• d0ughb0yd0ughb0y Registered User regular
    Easter means chocolate. Lots of dark chocolate.

• FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    d0ughb0y wrote: »

cadbury eggs

• d0ughb0yd0ughb0y Registered User regular
    Fruhmann wrote: »
    d0ughb0y wrote: »

cadbury eggs

YES! And hard-boiled, de-shelled eggs dipped in chocolate, then wrapped in a cadbury egg wrapper!

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Ham. I was always partial to muffins on Easter. :)

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular

I'm always partial to zombie movies on Easter.

(Seriously)

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular

I'm always partial to zombie movies on Easter.

(Seriously)

You can't eat zombie movies..... or can you? *bites a DVD* Nope, nope you can't eat zombie movies... unless *bites a VHS tape*

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Now I wish I put "Bacon-wrapped Cadbury eggs!" as my comment :(

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    In case anyone is curious, as of right now after more than a thousand submissions:

8.67% of you want kosher foods.
    9.71% of you want vegan foods.

and this number really blew me away...

28.10% of you want vegetarian foods.

But even for the first two categories, if those numbers sound smallish, remember they're being multiplied by a very large number (ie, total attendance). You're in good company, and we'll make sure you have options.

Among the notes, two clear themes were a desire for less expensive food, and more options. Obviously we aren't the food caterers, but we'll definitely use what weight we have to focus on those areas to try and improve upon last year.

Thanks for your feedback, everyone, it really helps!

While it doesn't fall into the non-meat (and probably not into Kosher) categories, I would suggest asking Red Bones in Cambridge if they'd bring a food truck down- I'm pretty sure they're fully licensed to serve anywhere they want, and their BBQ is tasty and not overly expensive :)

Just a suggestion!

For Veggies.. I got nothing, sorry :(

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    edited March 2012
    Bringing outside food suppliers very likely won't happen. The building (like every other convention center) has a contracted caterer, and everything needs to go through them. But that doesn't mean they can't provide better options.

David Coffman on
    Ah, well, that figures. I had hoped a food truck nearby wouldn't violate the "on premise" rule, but I guess it does. Thanks anyway!

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I'm really glad you guys thought about this! I'm not personally going to be looking for Kosher or vegan foods, but I may be hanging with some people who are vegetarian. The more options for our group to eat together, the better.

UyhWici.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Dave, I noticed a lack of selections for people with food allergies/intolerances. For example, I'm lactose intolerant. Some places I've been offer none or extremely limited options that don't contain milk (and in some cases, don't label foods that do contain milk). Some people would say "well just eat the vegan options, those won't have milk" but to them I say "No, I want meat with my food". Will there be a decent amount of food available that has both meat and no dairy?

E6LkoFK.png

• heelsheels Registered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Dave, I noticed a lack of selections for people with food allergies/intolerances. For example, I'm lactose intolerant. Some places I've been offer none or extremely limited options that don't contain milk (and in some cases, don't label foods that do contain milk). Some people would say "well just eat the vegan options, those won't have milk" but to them I say "No, I want meat with my food". Will there be a decent amount of food available that has both meat and no dairy?

First of all, I have a strict "No Fwacky at PAX" rule.

Second... I'll bring it up to our vendors, I'm sending them a link to this thread.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooo

and thanks

E6LkoFK.png

• ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    heels wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

First of all, I have a strict "No Fwacky at PAX" rule.

Seconded!

• FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    tell the caterers all of your attendees are on a strict diet of dehydrates sucrose granules mixed into horse stock soup that's congealed and placed in 100mL single serving biodegradable plastic tubes.

I actually know several people going who are celiacs (no gluten) as well. Just something else to think about.

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    Yeah, gluten-free diets, nut allergies and peanut allergies should be taken into account as well. Those are the major ones. Past that you have garlic, strawberries and Flying Spaghetti Monster knows what else. I would advise making sure there are separate serving utensils for each dish and putting up cards highlighting the various ingredients, presuming the caterers can do so.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    Yeah, gluten-free diets, nut allergies and peanut allergies should be taken into account as well. Those are the major ones. Past that you have garlic, strawberries and Flying Spaghetti Monster knows what else. I would advise making sure there are separate serving utensils for each dish and putting up cards highlighting the various ingredients, presuming the caterers can do so.

If they manage to get Gluten, Nut allergies, Lactose Intolerant, Kosher, and Veggie / Vegan they'll be pretty well off. After that good signage should cover it, except for the oddball allergies like onions, garlic, or (I swear I'm not making this up, I saw it) idaho potatos (And only idaho potatos- maine ones were fine)

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I put this in my comments, but you may also want to add a 'halal food' option for some attendees.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    Aren't kosher foods generally halal as well? I'd thought that was the case, but I could be mistaken. Just curious.

And yeah, Kiashien, that was my (very poorly phrased) point - offering clearly marked gluten free, lactose free, nut free, peanut free, veggie/vegan and kosher options is good; past that allergies start to get so obscure that the best you can do is separate utensils and ingredients lists.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    I stated this in my comment but there is a difference between Kosher and Kosher for Passover foods. Since the event is over passover I am hoping that Kosher foods will be Kosher for Passover at the event. If there is going to be a difference I would request that there are options for each. I know it's a small percentage of the population going to PAX but for those like me it is a major consideration.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    Aren't kosher foods generally halal as well? I'd thought that was the case, but I could be mistaken. Just curious.

And yeah, Kiashien, that was my (very poorly phrased) point - offering clearly marked gluten free, lactose free, nut free, peanut free, veggie/vegan and kosher options is good; past that allergies start to get so obscure that the best you can do is separate utensils and ingredients lists.
    I am not a Muslim, so I am by no means an authority but although some may be similar there are some that are different as well. Also most meat (other than seafood) has to be blessed, IIRC.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]