As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Butterball [chat]

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited February 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Jacobkosh on

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    No, this is a butterball

2914539694_8950ef284f.jpg

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2012
    those do not look like turkeys.

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    do advisors and such at major universities usually start work at 8 or 9?

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    butter.jpg
    To perpetuate the viability of European agriculture in its current state, the CAP-mandated demand for certain farm products is set at a high level compared with demand in the free market (see CAP as a form of State intervention). This leads to the European Union purchasing millions of tonnes of surplus output every year at the stated guaranteed market price, and storing this produce in large quantities (leading to what critics have called 'butter mountains' and 'milk lakes'), before selling the produce wholesale to developing nations. In 2007 in response to a parliamentary written question the UK government revealed that over the preceding year the EU Public Stock had amassed "13,476,812 tonnes of cereal, rice, sugar and milk products and 3,529,002 hectolitres of alcohol/wine”, although the EU has claimed this level of oversupply is unlikely to be repeated. This point was actually proven in January 2009, where the EU had a store of 717,810 tonnes of cereals, 41,422 tonnes of sugar and a 2.3 million hectolitre 'wine lake', showing that the stocks had diminished dramatically.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Sparvy, I think I have a pinched nerve in my neck that will make my left shoulder swell up if I lie in bed at a bad angle for too long

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »

Admin staff will start around nine. If you want an actual academic, then it's a mystery.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular

start calling at 8, at the very least they should have a recorded announcement with their hours of operation

• Options
    edited February 2012
    The rule of thumb of academics is:

- big shots will have a secretary, who will follow office hours.

- for everyone else, they'll check their mail at least once a (work)day.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    ugh

i need to clear off my hdd

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    well there is a specific lady i need to talk to i think

she isn't a professor, she is an advisor/course coordinator/etc

so i expect she'll be in at 9 but who knows

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Admin staff will start around nine. If you want an actual academic, then it's a mystery.

Much like the cable guy they are elusive and unpredictable

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »

those aren't the terms I'd use for that movie at all

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

Movie?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Sparvy, I think I have a pinched nerve in my neck that will make my left shoulder swell up if I lie in bed at a bad angle for too long

Wow, didn't know that was possible. Sounds bad

• Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote: »

Movie?
    XXqTj.jpg

• Options
    Whoops, just put a moka pot in the microwave. I wonder why I've become stupid.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2012
    Re: native speakers describing their countries.

Then how come almost all eastern european countries have bad reputation? Or is that just here that they do?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    I remember being weirded out when my Bath-based relatives were so absurdly bigoted and horrid regarding Eastern European immigrants to the UK, but they absolutely loved the various Asians in their town

• Options
    Bad statistics?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I want a Mojo style butterball.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Whoops, just put a moka pot in the microwave. I wonder why I've become stupid.

an englishman can only remain in France for so long before the curse begins to take effect.

• Options
    Yeah eastern europeans have a hard time here too. Much more so than any arab or black guy ever had in sweden.

• Options
    well there is a specific lady i need to talk to i think

she isn't a professor, she is an advisor/course coordinator/etc

so i expect she'll be in at 9 but who knows

offer her the opportunity to see your penis if she helps you out

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Honk wrote: »

Then how come almost all eastern european countries have bad reputation? Or is that just here that they do?

Brits quite like Eastern Europeans. Outside of some Fringe "dey tuk ur jerbs" nonsense that is. Maybe it's just about cultural compatibility or something.

Edit: I may have misunderstood what we were talking about. Regardless, I like sausages and beer.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    Bad statistics?

See, I don't think you and the rest are speaking in the same context....and it's making this discussion very difficult to join.

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular

I guess their numbers are bad?

Wasn't the theory that for example scandinavia gets a one sided good rep because we have pretty decent statistics economically and education wise etc while english speaking countries with similar numbers get some more balanced/bad rep simply because everyone sees how the sausage is made. So similarly if the numbers are bad and people don't understand the language they are going to get a similarly one sided view, only negative this time.

• Options
    So there's a new Baldur's Gate? Hopefully they can make the gameplay fun in this one. The Infinity engine games were always such a chore to actually play.

• Options
    So there's a new Baldur's Gate? Hopefully they can make the gameplay fun in this one. The Infinity engine games were always such a chore to actually play.

:evil: I loved the gameplay....except the occasional 5 hour long dungeon.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

Brits quite like Eastern Europeans. Outside of some Fringe "dey tuk ur jerbs" nonsense that is. Maybe it's just about cultural compatibility or something.

Edit: I may have misunderstood what we were talking about. Regardless, I like sausages and beer.

Better dentistry and a ridiculously high proportion of attractive women?

• Options
    Yeah that could actually be a big part of it. But I sort of feel like there's more to it.

Maybe some remnant from the cold war? East of Germany is sort of a magic area of people it's pretty accepted to hate on. Maybe because they're caucasian it's more okay to hate on them - because you're not as obviously racist as if you hate on arabs or something.

• Options

Better dentistry and a ridiculously high proportion of attractive women?

Soon to be in the past. Obesity doesn't forgive.

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I think they are just the people who are currently teking ar jerbs.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    I'm an immigrant and the son of immigrants, so my family have teken looods uv piipuls jerbs.

• Options
    I found out about another totally delightful thing in 20th century Sweden. Previously I knew about how the government as-good-as forcibly sterilized some Sami and a greater deal of mental patients.

Apparently in the 30's about 99% of the population suffered from caries, and severe tooth decay. The government set about researching this and selected a mental hospital in Skåne. The residents there became test subjects and were force fed different substances to research how to forestall tooth decay caused by caries. To know how to forestall it they needed to find out in what environment caries became worse.

And apparently in the end of the experiment 1/5 of the subjects had no teeth left whatsoever.

We really disliked people with mental illness here.

• Options
    poshniallo wrote: »
    I'm an immigrant and the son of immigrants, so my family have teken looods uv piipuls jerbs.

Is it true that people in japan are hella racist against westerners? It's something you hear all over the place.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Speculatively, societies that are more prepared to defer to expert consensus are also at more risk of the fallout from intellectual fads. And to be sure, prior to WW2 there was a degree of popular support for the notion.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Options

Is it true that people in japan are hella racist against westerners? It's something you hear all over the place.

I have heard it is worse among non-white foreigners.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options

There's plenty of racism, but white westerners get the least of it. Other Asians, black people, Indians get much much more racism.

But the white westerners make the most noise about it because it's a big shock for us and our first experience of not Being In Charge Of Everything.

Of course, there are also plenty of people who aren't racist at all.

Japan is a lot less homogenous than people think.

• Options
    I want to lie on my stomach while Aaron rubs my back and gives me kisses but he has a stupid birthday party to go to

WHAT A LOSER

• Options
    My grandfather had trouble ever getting a job when he moved the family to Australia after the war, because the unions were incredibly strong and organised to a point where he could never enter the workforce at the level he left it

similarly fun fact: my family was meant to move to Canada, where my dad and his brother would become heirs to their great-uncle's oil sands fortune and businesses (which is a story in itself), but my grandfather changed their destination to Australia at the last minute because he didn't want to be "indebted" to his wife's side of the family for the rest of his life

them wacky immigrants

This discussion has been closed.