As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heya! It's me Imoen!

• Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    The thing is in BG1 they have sprites for all angles. In BG2 the sprites are 'mirrored'. Basically as a character turns from left to right their sword and shield swap hands. Doesn't happen in BG1. Think it was a memory limitation or something. So let's do away with that anyhoo.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Druhim wrote: »
    Personally I think rolling for stats is dumb, both in CPRPGs and pen & paper RPGs. I get that it's a tradition that's carried over from yon olden days, but it's a dumb system. I can tolerate it, but it just makes much more sense to give a set number of points that you can spend on stats as you wish. I'd also like to see computer rpgs move away from having you earn experience to reach specific levels, and instead have you earn experience (or something similar) that you can then spend whenever you want on a specific skill/talent/spell/stat. And it would be balanced by of course higher ranks of a skill costing more experience. But I really like the idea of a character gradually growing more effective and useful as well as the constant friction between wanting to spend experience you have now to take something less powerful vs saving up for something more powerful. And the fluidity that could offer over traditional class systems that many games have already shifted away from the rigidity of.

Yeah rolling stats is dumb

most systems these days do away with it

Classes are kind of crappy too and apart from DnD most systems have moved away from them too

Solar on
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Aha! So I finally found all my old discs. So the questions is, do I play now, or wait until Summer?

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    Personally I think rolling for stats is dumb, both in CPRPGs and pen & paper RPGs. I get that it's a tradition that's carried over from yon olden days, but it's a dumb system. I can tolerate it, but it just makes much more sense to give a set number of points that you can spend on stats as you wish. I'd also like to see computer rpgs move away from having you earn experience to reach specific levels, and instead have you earn experience (or something similar) that you can then spend whenever you want on a specific skill/talent/spell/stat. And it would be balanced by of course higher ranks of a skill costing more experience. But I really like the idea of a character gradually growing more effective and useful as well as the constant friction between wanting to spend experience you have now to take something less powerful vs saving up for something more powerful. And the fluidity that could offer over traditional class systems that many games have already shifted away from the rigidity of.

Classes are kind of crappy too and apart from DnD most systems have moved away from them too

It's funny you post this, because I spent about oh...7 minutes this weekend clickingclicking and now I have a Paladin/Inquisitor with 18/18/18/11/17/18 stats.

Yeah, crapshooting your stats is long in the past.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I know it's pointless and completely against the point of roleplaying

but damn if I don't roll until I hit that 18/00

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    People tend to argue that point buy without classes results in min-maxing

but to be honest, I have never seen as much min maxing in any game as DnD

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »

It's funny you post this, because I spent about oh...7 minutes this weekend clickingclicking and now I have a Paladin/Inquisitor with 18/18/18/11/17/18 stats.

I find that unlikely. +40 is so improbable as to be finite-time impossible. Like, 12 zeroes before the first digit improbable. Even getting +30 in 7 minutes would be pretty amazing.

sig.png
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    I hope they don't ever get rid of classes. I like having sets of skills in a prepared package for me, and it's also just easier for a developer to balance around classes rather than having to ensure a billion different combinations of random skills will all work together well.

• Options
    Yeah I really have no problem with classes, given that you have six characters to work with. It's easy to makeup for any shortcomings by picking complimenting NPCs.

• Options
    Tossrock wrote: »

I find that unlikely. +40 is so improbable as to be finite-time impossible. Like, 12 zeroes before the first digit improbable. Even getting +30 in 7 minutes would be pretty amazing.

Agreed, it IS pretty unlikely, however I have a leg up because the character is a Paladin. Their stat minimums are pretty high. They must have a minimum 17 Chr, minimum 13 Wis, and a minimum on str/con (which I forget). I would have accepted 13 Wis since inquisitors can't cast priest spells, but I got a really damn lucky roll.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

Agreed, it IS pretty unlikely, however I have a leg up because the character is a Paladin. Their stat minimums are pretty high. They must have a minimum 17 Chr, minimum 13 Wis, and a minimum on str/con (which I forget). I would have accepted 13 Wis since inquisitors can't cast priest spells, but I got a really damn lucky roll.

Yeah, the "random" factor isn't actually as random as you'd think depending on your classes. Especially for paladin and a couple of multiclass combos, you end up having pretty good odds of very high scores.

Personally I agree that point-buy is much better for computer games, but I really enjoy random rolls for tabletop games. Adds in a lot more personality to your characters and generally makes things more interesting.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »

Yeah, the "random" factor isn't actually as random as you'd think depending on your classes. Especially for paladin and a couple of multiclass combos, you end up having pretty good odds of very high scores.

Personally I agree that point-buy is much better for computer games, but I really enjoy random rolls for tabletop games. Adds in a lot more personality to your characters and generally makes things more interesting.

I once had a mage with very low intelligence. I played him as if he were a hillbilly that really wanted to make something out of himself. Each point invested into the intelligence score was worth the level. He was striving to learn!

• Options
    that was a fun thing in Arcanum

lowering your intelligence score had some pretty extreme effects on your dialog choices

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    sorcerers ironically don't care about int at all. mages need it to learn spells, but sorcerers? not a single benefit. they want 18 wisdom and base int.

• Options
    Rolo wrote: »

lowering your intelligence score had some pretty extreme effects on your dialog choices

Oh lord yes, playing the big lumbering oaf who couldn't string a sentence together was fantastic.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    sorcerers ironically don't care about int at all. mages need it to learn spells, but sorcerers? not a single benefit. they want 18 wisdom and base int.

Aren't both Int and Wis used for casting Wish?

• Options
    int+wis/cha have some minor effects on dialogue in BG, but nothing fallout or torment level.

• Options
    Rolo wrote: »

Oh lord yes, playing the big lumbering oaf who couldn't string a sentence together was fantastic.

OGG only murder all of Stillwater because they made fun o me teef!

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »

Aren't both Int and Wis used for casting Wish?

only wisdom

• Options
    nothing worse than casting wish and finding that you managed to roll every single negative choice

• Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    virgils reaction when he meets the chosen one and finds out he is a severely mentally handicapped half-ogre is priceless

then you follow him around going VUGOOO??!

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Virgil's voice actor was great.

• Options

He was the guy who followed around Hercules in the live action TV show version, I believe.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Hey guys, I never played Planescape Torment.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    bioware said BG3 would never happen because BG2 was a perfect storm of everything being set up just right for them to put out a game that ambitious and good.

plus it couldn't actually be BG3 because your pc is what, level 40? where do you go from there? it would be like playing god of war 4: forgotten realms

I would assume you play a new PC, start at level 1, maybe with a new game system in place. So like 3.5 edition or something along that line. New generation of god kids and such

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Ok these are things I want:
    BG1&2 Enchanced
    BG3
    Arcanum 2: More Cogs

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Ok these are things I want:
    BG1&2 Enchanced
    BG3
    Arcanum 2: More Cogs

BG. Now with the randomized RNG.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Smoking Jacket

All day, every day.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    machined plate mail, medical arachnid, tesla cannon and goggled helmet :ar!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Beasteh wrote: »
    machined plate mail, medical arachnid, tesla cannon and goggled helmet :ar!

Medical arachnid?

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    an automaton that healed you

it made you practically invincible if you had good armor

• Options
    basically a steam powered mechanical spider with syringes and medical junk

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »

He was the guy who followed around Hercules in the live action TV show version, I believe.

Looking him up, he is actually the voice of Batman in The Batman, Spider-Man in Spider-Man Unlimited, and Tuxedo Mask.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Last time I played Arcanum, I played Lord Stark, and I stomped across the landscape in covered in armor and tech.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    take your 18/00 and shove it
    crom faeyr all day erryday, smash faces with my 25

also I should play arcanum, I sort of played a bit, but just couldn't keep going
    got to the point where I was retreating through the city, throwing molotovs behind me to kill mechaspiders while rooting around in trash bins to build
    surprise
    more molotovs to throw at the spiders

• Options
    My only suggestion for Arcanum. Fan patches. You must use them.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I had trouble getting into arcanum

well, at least until I made a character with a harm spell

harm harm harm

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    ohhh god
    flashbacks
    I think at some point I brutally hacked off my own leg in a critical miss situation
    that was pretty traumatizing
    worse was it was some kind of mecha axe I built myself, it betrayed me

scarlet blvd. on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    I vaguely remember modding my Arcanum, for some stupid reason

And then killing myself with a crit fail on a lemon (potato?) battery

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I never got Arcanum to work on my computer.