As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Heya! It's me Imoen!

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Also when you've only got 1 person you have to be looking out for it's pretty easy to just control them and not need to pause very often

What I wish they'd do is set it so you can control one of the NPC party members (but maybe let you roll up their stats instead), because you miss out on soo much if you have a full party of your own characters

That would be pretty rad, and also amusing for BG2 when one player is controlling Keldorn and another is controlling, say, Viconia

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I'm reasonably sure you can roll up some barbarians and not have to pause the game

thenews.jpg
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I rolled up a half orc barbarian, double wielding axes

It's great, 1 int and I still get all the dialogue choices and with holy strength (or whatever it's called) + berserk I can have 25 strength twice a day.

And when you're dealing around 75 damage a round, that's about as much as you'll ever need it
    won't mindflayers in bg2 one shot you? Or does berserk take care of that?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    There are spells and items and such that allies can cast on you/you can wear which means mind flayers cannot just one shot you

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    also, slayer transformation

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    wait, what? there were some fucking great party npcs in BGII.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    yeah the party NPCs made the game, in many ways

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, a lot of the characters in BG2 were pretty tops. I didn't care for... Valygar, I guess? He seemed kinda boring aside from his side quest.

Plus I always played a wizard, so there was tension there anyway.

I do kinda hope they add interparty dialogue to BG1. That's honestly one of the things that makes replaying BG1 difficult for me.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Did they mention doing anything about spicing up the early leveling experience of BG1? It seems like they did, but I can't remember. That's always been the biggest fault of both D&D and D&D games of any generation. Early levels just aren't terribly interesting.

• Options
    I think that's more of a problem of mechanics more than anything else, and as far as I know they are keeping the mechanics the same.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Yeah, true.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2012
    Yeah, they're just enhancing the game, not rewriting it. So they're adding some new characters and areas, they're updating it to play nice with modern OS' and such. They're not changing the fundamental rules or mechanics of the game. Way beyond the scope of what they want to tackle.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    It'd be great if there was, say, one gibberling somewhere in the intro area that had a chance to give you tons of experience.

• Options
    well they're also making the class kits (and monks/barbarians) available in the first game, which will help spice up low levels a bit

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Needed a rpg to play and realized I never played Baulders gate II but I have it

Trying to dual wield makes the game crash!

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    What mods/patches etc. are you using?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Did they mention doing anything about spicing up the early leveling experience of BG1? It seems like they did, but I can't remember. That's always been the biggest fault of both D&D and D&D games of any generation. Early levels just aren't terribly interesting.

I don't know, I always thought that was the best thing about Baldur's Gate was how dangerous everything was and how careful you had to be.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I installed it off the disk then tried to update it with what I think is the official patch.

Should be no mods

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Man I keep debating about trying to start BG1 or just do BG2

I think I will just do BG2

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    There are spells and items and such that allies can cast on you/you can wear which means mind flayers cannot just one shot you

actually there aren't, you might be thinking of vampires, whose level drain you can protect against with negative plane protection

mind flayers, though, will always do -4 int if they hit, and if your int (or any stat) hits 0, you die

sig.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Yeah, a lot of the characters in BG2 were pretty tops. I didn't care for... Valygar, I guess? He seemed kinda boring aside from his side quest.

Plus I always played a wizard, so there was tension there anyway.

I do kinda hope they add interparty dialogue to BG1. That's honestly one of the things that makes replaying BG1 difficult for me.

there are a couple one liners. like when eldoth told shar-teel women are for babies

Jars on
  • Options
    Tossrock wrote: »

actually there aren't, you might be thinking of vampires, whose level drain you can protect against with negative plane protection

mind flayers, though, will always do -4 int if they hit, and if your int (or any stat) hits 0, you die

don't those brine potions you get in the mind flayer city protect you from intelligence drain?

or was that just psionics?

• Options
    When I replayed BG1 recently I actually used a mod that added interparty dialogue

It wasn't so bad

Also there was a Branwen romance which wasn't too terrible, I think

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    if I recall correctly it only protects you from psionics, basically the same as Chaotic Commands or Berserker Rage

sig.png
  • Options
    reinstalling it made it work yay!

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    There's definitely a couple things that protects you from psionic death

Besides it's only a dungeon or two, you can just leave the barbarian in the other room for the couple of fights that really get dangerous. It's more than worth it in exchange for the frickin' 25 str head stompin

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Chaotic Commands is your friend when it comes to Mind-Flayers. If you've only 1 INT then a single hit from their tentacles will kill you (Drains 5 INT per hit), so you'll need to get your AC up and finish them before they stop casting spells and resort to eating your tiny, tiny brain. Glugging potions of Genius would probably help too, though I've never bothered.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    Darmak wrote: »

I don't know, I always thought that was the best thing about Baldur's Gate was how dangerous everything was and how careful you had to be.

That fucking dog in the farmhouse

• Options
    Tossrock wrote: »

Is that a close combat hit though?

I think it is and you can cast spells which mean your barbarian can't be touched by them

I know that because my kensai/mage cast a whole bunch of buffs on himself and just waltzed through that entire dungeon by himself (everyone else was a liability so I just left them at the entrance)

• Options
    mind flayer int drain triggers on melee hits, yes

the key to fighting them is rushdown

gotta get in there and wreck face right quick

ideally you want to have some archers plinking them as well

• Options
    improved haste on the entire group

bust in and fuck their shit up super fast

with magical weapons like Carsomyr, Celestial Fury, the Flail of Ages and what not lying around

you can lay out a lot of damage and those Mind Flayers are skinny little nerds when you get down to it

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

There's also the projectile-confusion attack that umber hulks do, which is really what you want the brine potion for.

Psions sword (TOB) and protection from magical weapons work to prevent mind flayer melee attacks, I think the greenstone amulet works as well.

For the most part I just summoned up some skeletal warriors and put them in front to take the majority of the damage.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    umber hulks only do their ability once or twice though, so I usually just have my mage summon up a small army, push 'em through the door, and then wait until the screaming stops.

Summoned critters can turn so many tough fights into mopping up exercises

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    umber hulks only do their ability once or twice though, so I usually just have my mage summon up a small army, push 'em through the door, and then wait until the screaming stops.

Summoned critters can turn so many tough fights into mopping up exercises

This was literally my entire strategy the first time through the game.

Party with myself (druid), Cernd, and Jaheira.

All with fire elemental summoning spells.

You open a door, you send them in, you close the door.

In tough fights you buff up Minsc so he can't be mind controlled and have him lead the elementals around to accomplish their goals.

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    heh

cernd

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Evil: Edwin, Viconia, Korgan, then a toss up for Haer-dalis and Jan to round things out

Good: Minsc, Keldorn, Mazzy, and reluctantly taking Nalia and Aerie

and then swapping out for the two story NPCs you get later

• Options
    Can't decide between a sorcerror or a shapeshifter

colour spray is hilarious

or maybe a hmm to many choices

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    improved haste on the entire group

bust in and fuck their shit up super fast

with magical weapons like Carsomyr, Celestial Fury, the Flail of Ages and what not lying around

you can lay out a lot of damage and those Mind Flayers are skinny little nerds when you get down to it

improved haste is single-target only

regular haste will work just fine

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    Evil: Edwin, Viconia, Korgan, then a toss up for Haer-dalis and Jan to round things out

I don't think I ever made any sort of cohesively-aligned party

intra-party gibbing is where it's at

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »

I don't think I ever made any sort of cohesively-aligned party

intra-party gibbing is where it's at

Every game a challenge:

Why will Jaheira leave this time?