As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Heya! It's me Imoen!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    No, but it is racist because there are no black people.

They got rid of half-orcs?

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    ah yeah course

well he's easy

archers yo

pfffffft

more like haste+defensive harmony+enrage+potion of fire giant strength+draw upon holy might

my main character can solo that bugger

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It ain't a real fight unless Charname's portrait is completely hidden by buff icons.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    the ways to kill Sarevok are many and varied

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    toward the end of BG2, that is not an exagerration

in BG1 it's tougher, you have to set out with that goal in mind

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    draw upon holy might gets pretty ridiculous towards the end of ToB

Rolo wrote: »
    draw upon holy might gets pretty ridiculous towards the end of ToB

it's already overpowered, especially since the main character gets it (alignment depending, of course)

and it just gets ludicrous

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    I turned off the icons because past a point half your portraits are filled with buffs at all times. the two difficulty mods I know of are SCS and ascension.

edited December 2012
    And you get it like 3x a day or something when it's the alignment ability?

Brolo on
    And you get it like 3x a day or something when it's the alignment ability?

2x

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    I liked to read through the notes on SCS and Ascencion and such, with Improved Irencius, Improved Whoever

and just imagine how difficult that must be!

but I never installed any of em, I was too scared

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    edited December 2012
    I did ascension and here is the low down
    half orc guy was super super hard because a bunch of casters dimension door in to help him out and they like insta death spells. you have to fight like 10 guys at once
    yagashura was kind of gimmicky because his invulnerability slowly wears off so you have to kill his soldiers over and over until you can hurt him
    sendai is pretty much the same
    abagazail adds another dragon and 4 super damage resistent wyvern pets. not actually that bad though, the purple dragon went down really fast
    balthazar will actually join you but I was evil so I killed him. the same
    the 3 pools summon a LOT of demons, they can be tricky because of the huge number of them
    before mellisan you fight an improved irenicus with bodhi(joins you if you are evil) and he makes clones and stuff so you actually have to fight four of him. crazy fight
    mellisan is crazy hard IF you are evil which is kind of bullshit. if you are good the whole fight is a pushover because baltazhar joins you and is immune to time stop so you time stop and punch the five to death. if you are evil it's nigh impossible because sendai casts time stop right away and baltazhar will kill you in it so you have to insta kill sendai with spike traps, then instakill baltazhar with like assassinate or something because he cheats so much and heals to full instantly. oh and yagashura can only be killed by dex drain or harm, which is so dumb. so the fight is really imbalanced and not challanging at all if you are good, and extremely frustrating if you are evil.
    demogorgon seems really intimidating but you beat him by using improved alacritiy and spamming every high level magic pen spell you have(he is immune to breach)then just hit him until he dies. you need enough damage to overcome his regen.

aside from the fight before the last fight, the last fight as evil and grom.. something it's not super hard.

Jars on
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Half-races aren't because everyone's actually the same race

It's just because everybody of every race wants to get them some elf ladies

Not like you ever see any half-dwarves!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    The derro of Greyhawk would like a work with you.

I just realized that Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep are essentially the same dungeon

• ArangArang HUEY LEWISRegistered User regular
    I liked Watcher's Keep a lot

the entire backstory is that Helm went "fuck it, here's a badass dungeon"

thenews.jpg
    Arang wrote: »
    I liked Watcher's Keep a lot

the entire backstory is that Helm went "fuck it, here's a badass dungeon"

Helm was my favorite god of the FR pantheon

while everyone else was off playing silly buggers on the Prime during the Time of Troubles, Lord Ao was all, "We need someone to make sure these shitheels don't cheat. Helm, you got this." "Fuck yeah, I do."

I was pretty sad when Tyr took him down in a duel

motherfuckin' Cyric was to blame

he got his in the end, though

What was hilarious was all the random minor gods who're just in charge of like, accounting or pine trees.

Wait, we're getting transported into the mortal plane and we can get killed? This isn't in our job description!

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Somewhere Aristotle is shaking his head at the FR pantheon.

Fuck off and die.
    Wouldn't exactly be the first time Aristotle was wrong about something!

Guys just out of interest

how big was the file size when you downloaded this?

ah fuck it

just got the beamdog client and have started the download

now... we wait

oh my god

I'm back

I'm back and I never knew I missed you that much you beautiful game

I realized I have never played a triple class. they seem like they would own

• CheeselikerCheeseliker Registered User regular
    Man BG is hard. Trying to be a Shapeshifter because I love werewolves but sheesh, so much stuff can one-shot most of the party members early on.

Jars wrote: »
    I realized I have never played a triple class. they seem like they would own

haven't done that either

next time I play I'll probably be either a cleric/ranger or fighter/thief

a fighter/mage/cleric would have almost every single buff spell there is. you could cast draw upon holy might and tensers

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Can you still do the thing where you kite that mage around the coffee table in the inn for a cool 2000 XP right off the bat

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    a fighter/mage/cleric would have almost every single buff spell there is. you could cast draw upon holy might and tensers

Sadly they won't let you make a figher/mage/cleric :(
    Fighter/Mage/Thief is still pretty badass though. I solo'd BG2 with one. Take off the xp cap and you're unstoppable.

no it's definitely there. you have to be a half-elf.

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Oh. I stand corrected.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Does anybody remember the Half Orc Conspiracy in Arcanum?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Was it a book?

VayBJ4e.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »

Was it a book?

It was a conspiracy that you uncover, but ultimately can do nothing about because of how entrenched it is.

Copy-pasting a spoiler from the game.
    In Arcanum there is a conspiracy sub-plot that takes you to many places on the continent of, and to the so-called "Half-ogre Island", which lies just west of the island Thanatos. After all has been said and done, the player discovers that the gnomish Industrial Council of Tarant are in fact responsible for the breeding of the half-ogre race, using them as placable yet strong bodyguards. They also organised the assassination of the King of Tarant, and the displacement of the royal family (using the Queen as the "host" for the first successful half-ogre birth). Long before the period in the game, gnomes faced wide criticism for their supposedly "greedy" ways and were often outcasts of society, victims of crime and racial prejudice (this could very well be seen as a parallel to the anti-Semitism which was so prevalent in the 1800s).

The Council originally concocted a plan to create hybrid elf/orc hybrids, in an attempt to create all-powerful mages which they could control. This was before the Industrial Revolution, and as such they eventually saw magick as a waning power and instead decided that pure brute strength was all that was required (Plus, the experiments were often met with failure). This was not before a famous hybrid was produced however; a pair of conjoined twins. Before they could be terminated as per laboratory procedure, what may have been a sympathetic person on the Council itself managed to shelter them for years before they embarked on their adventures and became too famous to hunt down at that time. This takes place well before the events of the game and they are already deceased even before the game starts.

The conspiracy, if the player chooses to participate, eventually has the player running all around Arcanum trying to reach the someone who can uncover it all. When it is eventually solved, (with the skulls of the aformentioned twins in tow), the mysterious gentleman trying to uncover the conspiracy tells of bizarre breeding experiments on the Half-ogre Island. Apparently the new direction of half-ogre hybrids required human hosts, and the Council had no qualms about using unwitting females (often prostitutes) as said hosts. The first of such was the Queen of Tarant. The journal does mention that several of those involved began questioning this course of action and had to be eliminated. Soon after that, females related to persons who opposed the Council also began disappearing in short order. Stories were made up as to cover up their disappearance.

Upon visiting Half-Ogre Island itself, a fenced-off area containing human remains and a massive, grotesque laboratory are found, along with a journal transcribing the technical details of the facility. Apparently, they tried using runaways and homeless females at first, but the poor nutrition of these only permitted a single birth before they expired. The earlier-mentioned female relatives of the Council's political opponents proved more resilient because of their more well-kept lifestyle, especially coupled with new developments in surgical and medical technologies. Specifically, the half-ogre baby (which is far too large to safely deliver via natural means) is instead removed prematurely by caesarian section and artificially-sustained until it can fend for itself.

With the new techniques, each woman could be used for about three half-ogre babies before their bodies finally expired under the strain. These experiments continued until the Council decided that the population of half-ogres was sufficient and shut down the facilities.

Taking the journal back to the gentlemen trying to uncover the conspiracy results in his sudden disappearance, and an odd gnome in his place, explaining the whole story without so much as blinking. At this point, it seems the Council has initialized a protocol to rapidly wipe all details of the conspiracy from the face of Arcanum. A gnomish scientist who wants the skulls of the elf/orc twins will disappear after they've been given to him, and the only person who will take in the journal is part of the conspiracy as well. If the player tries to take it to the Tarantian newspaper office first, he will tell the player to take it to their Caladon branch. However, the Caladon branch staff will shortly disappear with the journal, and if the player enquires at with the Tarantian editor, he will deny all knowledge of the event.

At this point, all traces of the conspiracy have been quelled. Returning to the island yields that the entire laboratory has been cleared out, as have the human remains. It is not possible to progress any further at this point with regards to this evil conspiracy. The Mysterious Gnome does mention the existence of a second laboratory, but it does not exist within the game. Due to this kind of resolution, this quest has been referred to as the "Arcanum X-Files" by fans, a reference to how many of the stories in the X-Files series ended in a similar, unresolvable way.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Dang

sig.png
    man

that's kind of spooky

• TheidarTheidar Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Having a game actually set during the time of troubles would've been fun. Oh shit, it's a god, run for it dudes!

And of course it's the time of troubles, so the rules keep flickering between 2.5 and 3.0 :rotate:

Time of Troubles was 1st to 2nd edition transition. That would be just as ridiculous especially if you play a bard.

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
    man

that's kind of spooky

fuck yeah it is

huh. I got bored at the same point in arcanum twice in a row

Arcanum is a tough game to love.

It's habitually let down by its piss poor combat and party systems.