As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. ALL OF IT. DON'T ARGUE ABOUT DLC

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Speaking of Samara:
    Fucking hell girl! You do not put a gun to your head on my watch!

• THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Trying to avoid ME3 topics like the plague, but my curiosity's got the better of me:

Does anyone know what happens with a ME2 ENDING SPOILER
    DeadShep
    save file in ME3?

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    THESPOOKY wrote: »
    Trying to avoid ME3 topics like the plague, but my curiosity's got the better of me:

Does anyone know what happens with a ME2 ENDING SPOILER
    DeadShep
    save file in ME3?

Nothing, because you can't import it.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    What raises battle readiness? The percentage one. No spoilers, if it just happens through the main quest just say so.

Also cameo/story spoiler
    I was sure Grunt was dead. I knew Kasumi wasn't really, but Grunt. It was fucking awesome when he came out of that cave covered in blood.

Hey EA...where the fuck is my BF3 code?

• The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    This isn't EA. You've got the wrong number. Try double checking what number you dialled.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    What raises battle readiness? The percentage one.

Multiplayer.

The_Scarab wrote: »
    This isn't EA. You've got the wrong number. Try double checking what number you dialled.
    I take it no one else that preordered has their code yet either?

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I'm enjoying the game but it's really bothering me that (beginning of game spoilers I guess? Don't even know if I should bother spoilering)
    Why the FUCK did the Reapers attack at the beginning of the game? I have no sense of urgency to fix shit, I am wandering around doing everything and all of these stupid side quests while millions of people are dying or whatever. Why didn't they have Act I be the imminent reaper threat with Shephard trying to gather support and unite the galaxy, and then have the Reapers actually land/attack in Act 2 creating a better sense of urgency to actually fix that shit? As it is I feel like I'm not pressured at all to actually get results because I'm doing stupid fetch quests or something and wandering around the galaxy.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    Most of those side quests are directly related to the war effort in some way. I don't really get the complaint about them feeling irrelevant.

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote:
    Can I get the best ending if I'm not 100% galactically ready? Like if I had 95% but had a ton of war assets?

You dont need 100% to get the best ending. It's about 75-80% I think.

You need 5000 effective war assets for the best ending. You can do the math easily on that.

But what if I *can't* do the math on that? Again, I'm not sure how far I am into this game yet, but how do you calculate it? Or am I just completely oblivious?
    Go to the War Room on the Normandy and fire up the console there.

Have a look at your War Assets score.
    Then multiply that by your Galactic Readiness rating.
    The result is your Effective War Assets.

So if you have 3,000 War Assets, and your GR is at 80%, then your effective score for determining the outcome is 2,400.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    So if I cheat on my ME2/1 romance with Traynor or someone, is it impossible to reaffirm the previous relationship?

I've made a huge mistake.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    captaink wrote: »
    Quick question: does scanning actually work? The only time I've messed with it it just brought Reapers to chase me around, and I didn't find anything. Does it actually only uncover stuff under the visible radius, so I have to troll the system and 'paint' the whole area?

Yeah it works. That being said from what I've found all you ever find is fuel and stuff on planets. So just ding the planets and if you don't find anything move on.
    You can definitely find stuff floating in space, too.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular

Multiplayer.
    And it doesn't really matter. My military strength is rated as "fuck you" right now and I've only just wrapped up the Quarians.

So Liara (personality spoiler)
    I'm pretty disappointed. After LotSB I figured she'd be a far more interesting character but she's right back to being a wet blanket. Also the complete lack of post mission interaction blows. She just creepily mutters "feel free to look around" and that's it? That was understandable in LotSB but now it just feels lazy.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Absoultely everything that happened on Tuchanka was supremely epic.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »
    So I decided to go ahead an promote my level 20 Adept in MP just to see the change it would make in my War Assets for the SP version, and this was what happened:

Total Military Strength went up by 75
    Effective Military Strength went up by 73

Edit: Obviously for MP I was reset to 1 and had my N7 level raised by 10, as well.

Wait, whoa, what? Promote? What is this? Is 20 the cap in MP? I can do more with MP for my campaign than just the readiness %? There's something to be gained if I keep playing beyond that? yeeeeeeesssss

Bobble wrote: »
    So I decided to go ahead an promote my level 20 Adept in MP just to see the change it would make in my War Assets for the SP version, and this was what happened:

Edit: Obviously for MP I was reset to 1 and had my N7 level raised by 10, as well.

Wait, whoa, what? Promote? What is this? Is 20 the cap in MP? I can do more with MP for my campaign than just the readiness %? There's something to be gained if I keep playing beyond that? yeeeeeeesssss

It resets you back to level 1 in multi and gives you some war effort points. That's about it.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Multiplayer.
    And it doesn't really matter. My military strength is rated as "fuck you" right now and I've only just wrapped up the Quarians.

So Liara (personality spoiler)
    I'm pretty disappointed. After LotSB I figured she'd be a far more interesting character but she's right back to being a wet blanket. Also the complete lack of post mission interaction blows. She just creepily mutters "feel free to look around" and that's it? That was understandable in LotSB but now it just feels lazy.

She has more post-mission dialogue later on.

• SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular

That's not a whole lot of points, is it?

• TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    I saw it mentioned but I haven't seen how you do it. I've kind of been staying clear of MP since I've had problems with almost every match I've been in. Odd how I had few problems with the demo. I think most of it is due to shitty hosts.

Bless your heart.
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular

That's not a whole lot of points, is it?

You can import every class, which means 6x75. And for every further promote you gain another 75.
    So you can get quite a few points out of playing a lot of multi.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Most of those side quests are directly related to the war effort in some way. I don't really get the complaint about them feeling irrelevant.

It's less the side quests and more that from what I know about the Reapers from ME1/ME2, it doesn't seem like it would take them very long to wipe out a planet.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else

It's less the side quests and more that from what I know about the Reapers from ME1/ME2, it doesn't seem like it would take them very long to wipe out a planet.

It took them multiple centuries to wipe out the Protheans.
    Liara estimates it will take them about 100 years to wipe out the current races.
    They are good at killing things but killing BILLIONS of them still takes a LOT of time.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Out of interest, does the DLC character, or indeed the main game, ever explain the Collectors?
    Given what we know about Reapers from the ending, why were the Collectors even made? What purpose do they serve?

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

They're not trying to wipe out the planet, or they would bomb it from orbit. They keep talking about "Harvesting" every race

DLC Squadmate spoilers
    The Brothean even mentions that it took them hundreds of years to kill the Protheans, and they don't seem to be in that big of a hurry anyway.

Edit: Took me three edits to not mess up the spoiler code, and I still got beat by two posts. D:

Khildith on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    So,

MASS EFFECT 1 INVENTORY MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    v
    v
    v
    v
    MASS EFFECT 3
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    MASS EFFECT 2 COMPLETE LACK OF INVENTORY FUNSIES

Perfect middle ground? Maybe not perfect, but really good.
    The only slight problem was that there are so many guns that it's hard to choose one, especially as you get better ones every once in a while so if you upgraded your previous one it's pretty much a waste of money. Though there's a fair amount of that in the game.

• wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    haha oh man I had no idea the multiplayer maps were in single player, felt weird.

wilting on
    So,

MASS EFFECT 1 INVENTORY MADNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    v
    v
    v
    v
    MASS EFFECT 3
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    MASS EFFECT 2 COMPLETE LACK OF INVENTORY FUNSIES

Perfect middle ground? Maybe not perfect, but really good.
    The only slight problem was that there are so many guns that it's hard to choose one, especially as you get better ones every once in a while so if you upgraded your previous one it's pretty much a waste of money. Though there's a fair amount of that in the game.

I just bought the Scorpion pistol last night. Crazy awesome! It fires sticky bombs/proximity mines. Very useful against Husks.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    I haven't beat the game yet... hell I haven't even INSTALLED IT yet (goddamn origin problems! I fucking HATE you origin. I HATE YOU!)

But reading all the comments about how people feel about the ending on this forum reminds me SO much of the last episode of Lost... people seem to be divided between "it sucks" and "it is AMAZING."

Thankfully the comments don't remind me of the fan reaction to the last Battlestar Galatica ending.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Out of interest, does the DLC character, or indeed the main game, ever explain the Collectors?
    Given what we know about Reapers from the ending, why were the Collectors even made? What purpose do they serve?
    During the DLC mission, the flashbacks portray them mostly like husks. Think Turian -> Marauder.

edited March 2012
    Khildith wrote: »

They're not trying to wipe out the planet, or they would bomb it from orbit. They keep talking about "Harvesting" every race

DLC Squadmate spoilers
    The Brothean even mentions that it took them hundreds of years to kill the Protheans, and they don't seem to be in that big of a hurry anyway.

Edit: Took me three edits to not mess up the spoiler code, and I still got beat by two posts. D:

The Turians say they lost 3 million people on the first day and 5 million on the second.
    Palaven has 6.6 BILLION inhabitants.
    Earth has 11.1 billion.
    I'm just saying, that takes some time.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    wilting wrote: »
    haha oh man I had no idea the multiplayer maps were in single player, felt weird.

It did! Though it was nice knowing exactly where to go. Playing the other three maps in multiplayer is confusing, after having learned ghost and white in the demo.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Anyone give the Black Widow sniper rifle a go? just curious before I plunk down what is so far a considerable amount of credits.

• InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular

Multiplayer.

Is it raised permanently for all future playthroughs? I have a 2-day pass, so I could get it up a little.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Just finished up this morning. Ending thoughts:
    The whole Catalyst thing just feels... contrived. Like they couldn't figure out how to make ME3 really be THE. END. without coming up with a bunch of bullshit deus-ex-machina crap.

It would've been super easy to make things open-ended by giving the Crucible some kind of space-magicy effect, like sabotaging the power cores of all reaper ships so that they'd be vulnerable to conventional attack. You know, kind of like Independence Day except you're using a magic spaceship instead of a magic Macbook. Then you could feasibly continue the game after the ending. There'd still be reapers doing their reaping, so there'd still be refugee issues, and you could conceivably finish up most of the sidequests you had from earlier. Hell, it'd pave the way for a whole series of DLC dealing with pushing the reapers out of the various races' territories.

Multiplayer.

Is it raised permanently for all future playthroughs? I have a 2-day pass, so I could get it up a little.

Galactic Readiness drops over time so you will need to play a round of multi every so often.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • OatsOats Registered User regular
    Unlocked the Black Widow in multiplayer.

Now to learn to manshoots instead of mancharge.

Bethryn wrote: »
    They explain that in ME2.
    They're protheans. The reapers harvest races to use as their foot soldiers to harvest other races.

akajaybay wrote: »
    Anyone give the Black Widow sniper rifle a go? just curious before I plunk down what is so far a considerable amount of credits.

Black Widow was the god king of sniper rifles in ME2. I assume its pretty much the same for ME3.

I mean, It better be for 200,000 fricken credits...

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    grrr gahhhh! can't believe my awesome postal service chose TODAY of all days to flake. no mass effect 3 for me, hopefully it will be here tomorrow and ill have to play on release day like some kind of commoner.

plus i spilt coffee all over my keyboard and fried it. worse day ever. #firstworldproblems

This discussion has been closed.