As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. ALL OF IT. DON'T ARGUE ABOUT DLC

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Cojones wrote: »
    ugh i've found a ton of ME3 cutscenes on youtube

it was taking all of my willpower to not watch them until i saw that the guy playing had made different choices

SPELL BROKEN

ME3 discussion, not spoilers
    also, is it me or do there seem to be a crapton fewer dialogue choices? i'm only seeing 30% of what i should

in ME1 and ME2 it was Person X says "blah blah blah" then you get a dialogue choice to respond, then it repeats

now i'm seeing like....one dialogue choice every 2-3 minutes of conversation or something

maybe it has to do with the emphasis on paragon/renegade points coming from actions and not conversations, i dunno

it's not bad, exactly? it's just waaaaaay different than what i've expected up to this point
    Ray Muzyka wrote:
    "Our goal is to get it out in a time frame that can maximise the quality for our fans, maximise the commercial success for the company and just make sure we do the right thing overall for the long term for the franchise."
    Now call me a cynic, but I think that's the reasoning behind this.

actually i edited my post,
    it's not that there are fewer, it's just spaced differently

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I thought the Hammerhead was fun. I also really liked the Mako. Maybe I'm strange.

My only real complaint about the Hammerhead sequences were that, especially at higher difficulties, you had no choice but to use really boring tactics while using it. It takes something like 30-40 rockets to kill some of the tougher enemies, and they only need about 1.5 seconds to take you from full health to dead. So the only way to realistically fight them is to stay at maximum distance and lob homing missiles down range. It's incredibly fucking boring.

• Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Sigh...

Are there any easy to miss data caches that you only get one chance to find? I really do not feel like starting the mission over realizing I'm missing just that one.

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I thought the Hammerhead was fun. I also really liked the Mako. Maybe I'm strange.

My only real complaint about the Hammerhead sequences were that, especially at higher difficulties, you had no choice but to use really boring tactics while using it. It takes something like 30-40 rockets to kill some of the tougher enemies, and they only need about 1.5 seconds to take you from full health to dead. So the only way to realistically fight them is to stay at maximum distance and lob homing missiles down range. It's incredibly fucking boring.

The Hammerhead was fun until you had to fight anything ever in which case it was terrible at doing that. The combat was just unfun.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    it would have been fine if they'd given it armor

but noooo

when is a tank not a tank? when it's the fucking HAMMERHEAD.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The Hammer head with the makos gun and armor (and healing system) would have been perfect. You can tell they realized the combat was flawed given how infrequent it is.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Can't you just turn down the difficulty for the Hammerhead scenes?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Klyka wrote: »

That doesn't make it good though. It just makes it boring combat with a bigger margin of error.

• Options
    SickwithJusticeSickwithJustice Registered User regular
    Man, I keep telling myself I need to stop playing the multiplayer demo since all of that progress goes away on release, but for some reason I just can't stop playing.

• Options
    Less than one day until ME3 is proxyable.

I'm so jazzed up I can't stop doing jazz hands.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular

Not if you want the Insanity achievement. Or if you refuse to play on anything lower than Insanity.

• Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    The worst is the part in front of the Geth ship. I had no idea why I was just magically blowing up the first time I did it.

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Right, DDE base game, dlc and N7 crap are pre-loaded and installed on my main gaming desktop and my gaming laptop. That's it. I'm ready for Friday. I'm also out of these pages for fear of spoilers until maybe, MAYBBBEEEE next weekend at some point.

I can't believe we're here. The journey that began in 2007 is close to coming to a conclusion. I can still vividly remember the first time I powered up ME1 on the PC. The music, earth, and the awesome, awesomer, awesomest game start. Fast forward 1000 hours spent with "my" shepards and here we are. Finally to take on the reapers. It'll be epic. Be back in a week's time.

envoy1 on
  • Options
    He thinks he's going to fight Reapers XD
    Everyone knows Mass Effect is just a Space Waifu Simulator!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    RohanRohan Registered User regular
    I'm right there with you on that, envoy1!

I cannot believe that they so nailed multiplayer on their first try - has Bioware ever made a multiplayer game before? Because this is godly. I downloaded the demo, got my flat-mate to download it and he loved it. We then cajoled and pushed friends into downloading it - none of them having completed or even played a game of Mass Effect before. Now we're playing it every night, and we have two extra friends who we play with when one of us is working, or the other is studying, etc.

Just that small, two-level demo has convinced all of them to buy the full game. So kudos on your first try (as far as I'm aware), Bioware.

...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Really, based on the launch trailer, as long as we get to see more of that thresher maw than what's in the trailer, that alone could very well be worth the price of admission, because let's face it, whoever wins that fight, the viewers win.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    So are people doing this VPN thing tomorrow? And how would I go about doing that?

• Options
    SkyEyeSkyEye Registered User regular
    In Overlord, are all the data packets in the main hub world area? Or are some in the other stations?

Steam: Autumn_Thunder - SC2: AutumnThundr.563 (NA) - Hearthstone: AutumnThundr.1383

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    SkyEye wrote: »
    In Overlord, are all the data packets in the main hub world area? Or are some in the other stations?
    All in the main area

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So are people doing this VPN thing tomorrow? And how would I go about doing that?

I'm pretty sure a ton of people are doing it. Sadly I don't have my Origin code yet or else I would do it too :(

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options

I'm pretty sure a ton of people are doing it. Sadly I don't have my Origin code yet or else I would do it too :(

Is this just for Europe to get it early or is there a region that's unlocking before Tues in the US?

• Options

Is this just for Europe to get it early or is there a region that's unlocking before Tues in the US?

If you use an Asian VPN you can play it on Monday.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    dsplaisteddsplaisted Registered User regular

How do you do this? This information should be in the OP!

I just played Overlord for the first time last night. It was excellent! Maybe the best mission in the game.

2850-1.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    dsplaisted wrote: »

I just played Overlord for the first time last night. It was excellent! Maybe the best mission in the game.

Yeah, a tutorial for us VPN noobs would be nice.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

It is excellent! But it is not the best mission in the game! That would have to go to Shadowbroker. Fact.

It's a fact because I declared "Fact." after it.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

it was taking all of my willpower to not watch them until i saw that the guy playing had made different choices

SPELL BROKEN

also, is it me or do there seem to be a crapton fewer dialogue choices? i'm only seeing 30% of what i should

in ME1 and ME2 it was Person X says "blah blah blah" then you get a dialogue choice to respond, then it repeats

now i'm seeing like....one dialogue choice every 2-3 minutes of conversation or something

maybe it has to do with the emphasis on paragon/renegade points coming from actions and not conversations, i dunno

it's not bad, exactly? it's just waaaaaay different than what i've expected up to this point
    Ray Muzyka wrote:
    "Our goal is to get it out in a time frame that can maximise the quality for our fans, maximise the commercial success for the company and just make sure we do the right thing overall for the long term for the franchise."

can you elaborate a little on this

cause I noticed the auto-dialogue tends to kick in once you've already "set a path", like if you punch the reporter Shep will go ahead and give a little renegade speech at the end

Found this description on BSN, is this more or less accurate?
    OK, let me try to explain. Suppose you see a 5 minute conversation with 2-4 times wheel choices on ME2. As ME3 has doubled the dialogues time that same conversation will last 10 minutes, but you will have more or less the same amount of choices per conversation (2-4).

Or let me explin this way:

ME2 lines of dialogue: 25.000
    ME3 lines of dialogue: 40.000
    Number of decissions: more or less the same on each game.

So for each decission you obtain more amount of dialogue than before.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

It is excellent! But it is not the best mission in the game! That would have to go to Shadowbroker. Fact.

Great! I haven't played Shadowbroker yet. :)

2850-1.png
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

Great! I haven't played Shadowbroker yet. :)

You are in for a treat, especially if you romanced Liara in the first game. The real boss fights aren't too hard, but they are more fun than punching a pyjak. They also have a bunch of mooks-attacking-you that are as difficult as a boss fight, and those are very well done. It's good times!

Arrival basically has nothing but random mooks as a boss fight, and it does it very well. Also highlights Shepard's total badassitude.

The DLC is a good part of why I have no concerns about ME3. If their DLC is this good, how amazing is the main game going to be?

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    This is what people used to unlock BF3 early:

Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings -> Tick "Use a proxy for your LAN") -> Address: ??? Port: ???

You'll have to wait for someone to post an address, though. If you're paranoid, I'd recommend changing your Origin password after using it.

There are also methods that involve installing software for various internet VPN services, but I don't know how to do those. A Google search for "Battlefield 3 VPN unlock" returns some methods, though.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    After something like that, I'd go further and change the username, the password, and the email Origin uses.

A proxy means they can look at everything in your data stream.

edit: I'd also make sure I'm not using any other internet-using applications at the same time.

Hopefully Origin is using some form of encryption, but simply put, if it's some public server I don't trust...

Orca on
  • Options
    I just bought ME3 via Origin and want to preload it... but the "Preload Now" menu item is grayed out. Why can't I preload?

2850-1.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    I think I can wait the twelve hours.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Give it a minute, dsplaisted.

And yeah, even if I didn't have to wait to pick up a physical copy, I wouldn't want to go through that to unlock early. Helps that I don't have Monday off, though.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SkemmdurSkemmdur Registered User regular
    'We have raised a customer service ticket on your account.'

Shit, shit, shit...

Oh wait, it's just them telling me I can have my CE delivered via courier-when I already picked that option. God damn it, ShopTo customer service, I nearly had a heart attack.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Give it a minute, dsplaisted.

And yeah, even if I didn't have to wait to pick up a physical copy, I wouldn't want to go through that to unlock early. Helps that I don't have Monday off, though.

there are a bunch of free VPN sites with 20 minute demos, you need 30 secs to unlock the game.
    I WILL POST DELICIOUS SCREENSHOTS TOMORROW TO TORMENT YOU!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    For Skyrim and BF3 I just shelled out 10$ for a month of OverPlayVPN so I could be a bit more secure than just using a random proxy and then gave it out to a bunch of friends, but a quick google search pulled up a few threads talking about using free trial accounts at FlyVPN and just tried it out.

Seems to work fine as the release date checker tells me it unlocks on Monday so here's how to go about using it:

http://www.flyvpn.com/download is the link for their client. Using this you can skip putting in the address and the protocol manually, and just have to put in the account info.

You'll be using the free trial account they offer, the info for which you can find at http://www.flyvpn.com/freetrial

This account disconnects you after 20 minutes of use, doesn't allow reconnects for 5 minutes, and caps you at 3 connects per day, but since all you're doing is running the release date checker once, none of that matters. The password for the account also changes so every time you log in you need refresh the free trial page and get the latest password.

Using the client is pretty simple, just don't copy and paste the info, type it in manually. Then hit connect and after a few it pops up a list of servers. Tab over to Asia and select one of the Hong Kong or Korean servers, doesn't really matter which. I used the first one in Korea on the list.

Now you can restart Origin and try to run your pre-loaded ME3, run the release date checker and it will tell you that you cannot play until Monday, March 05, 2012, 10:00.

It should work exactly as BF3 did in which case after you pass the release date check and get into the game you can freely disconnect from the VPN and the game should behave normally, at least for single player usage.

You can also double check it is working by checking your geoip location, which you can do with just a google search or (my favorite method) by typing "where am i" into Wolfram Alpha. It should show up as Seoul, South Korea.

SickwithJustice on
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

SPELL BROKEN

Ray Muzyka wrote:

can you elaborate a little on this

cause I noticed the auto-dialogue tends to kick in once you've already "set a path", like if you punch the reporter Shep will go ahead and give a little renegade speech at the end

Found this description on BSN, is this more or less accurate?
    OK, let me try to explain. Suppose you see a 5 minute conversation with 2-4 times wheel choices on ME2. As ME3 has doubled the dialogues time that same conversation will last 10 minutes, but you will have more or less the same amount of choices per conversation (2-4).

Or let me explin this way:

ME2 lines of dialogue: 25.000
    ME3 lines of dialogue: 40.000
    Number of decissions: more or less the same on each game.

So for each decission you obtain more amount of dialogue than before.
    it's not as reflexive. think of it this way

there's more exposition dialogue than what ME1 or 2 would have. in ME1 you'd have to run up and talk to people and initial a 'stand still' dialogue to get information etc. in ME3 you still have those, but they're reserved for moments when the pacing of the game is naturally slower. now, there's a lot more dialogue that transitions you from scene to scene, motion bits like in the demo when you're talking to anderson. you only get the dialogue choices when you're standing still.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    FlyVPN worked perfectly fine for both Battlefield 3 and Skyrim.
    It'll work for ME3 too.
    I'm a bit sad I won't get to play it tomorrow, cause I ordered it online, but hey, I got the game for half price, so that's worth it!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    You know I hope that level scaling is done differently this time.

I really don't want us level 30 start people to be bit in the butt like we were in ME2.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know I hope that level scaling is done differently this time.

I really don't want us level 30 start people to be bit in the butt like we were in ME2.

Given that it goes to level 60, I'm not too worried.

This discussion has been closed.