As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wasteland 2] 14 major areas to explore. One to press your balls against.

• DockenDocken Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'll tip in 100 for this. I don't think Brian Fargo is going to screw me.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    It'll be a tough sell to the wife, but I think I can do it.

Just tell her its training for when Korea or Iran drop the bomb.

steam_sig.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular

Tell her that she'll never have to worry about a broken toaster again.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »

Tell her that she'll never have to worry about a broken toaster again.

Just tell her you'll murder that damn dog no matter how much the village kid begs you not to.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I'll be happy if you gain access to a cloning facility at some point and can thus send unarmed clones ahead, triggering traps and ambushes prematurely.

Then you disband the corpses, clone your one awesome ranger, pass the weapons back out, and get shit done.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    I'll be happy if you gain access to a cloning facility at some point and can thus send unarmed clones ahead, triggering traps and ambushes prematurely.

Then you disband the corpses, clone your one awesome ranger, pass the weapons back out, and get shit done.

I believe that's also one method to defeat the horde of rampaging killbots.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'll throw $100 at this.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    According to Brian Fargo's twitter we'll be seeing this thing launching late next week, but that there could be a slight delay because they have to go through Kickstarter's approval process.

• C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Facebook Page is up/Website coming monday

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wasteland-2/319549084761028

C2B on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Anything more on this yet? Even just a piece of concept art would help em out a ton.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Does anybody know how much the goal is?

• Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    Does anybody know how much the goal is?

Rumor is at around a million, but we'll know for sure in a week or so.

edited March 2012
    And Ken St. Andre joined the Wasteland 2 team too.

With that the core team of Wasteland is the core team of Wasteland 2.

C2B on
    edited March 2012
    Website

http://wasteland.inxile-entertainment.com/
    First off, I’d like to welcome you to the development forum for Wasteland 2… after all, it’s because of you that we are even here right now. I’ve been wanting to get back to this franchise for over 20 years and the entire reason Fallout exists today is because I was unable to make a sequel back in the day, and after I cleared up the legal issues we were not able to get publishers excited unless it was a potential “billion dollar franchise” or they just didn’t want the kind of gameplay experience that classic role playing games offered. It was frustrating!

Fortunately, we are in a different era with thanks to fan based funding and digital distribution. We have a chance to move the power back to the developers, allowing us to make genres of games that publishers just would not support. I had completely given up on making a Wasteland sequel until just recently, and I can tell you the last few weeks have been a blast re-connecting with the fans and working on designs. It reminds me of why I was excited about the games business to begin with.

Wasteland was an epic game changer among the RPG genre and did a wonderful job of creating a sandbox type world that served up morality decisions that players were not used to. Even on recent press tours around the world ranging from Europe to Asia I always without exception would be asked about a Wasteland sequel. Clearly this was a game that resonated with the fans and now for the first time there is hope.

Wasteland 2 will be 100% fan funded game through the Kickstarter website in just short while. We know people are naturally concerned with fan funded projects but the input we receive here will help shape what Wasteland 2 becomes. Please “like” our Facebook page, be part of the forum, follow our updates here and follow me on Twitter. And we are not just looking to bring Wasteland followers to our forums but fans of all the classic RPG’s who want to bring this genre back. When I was at Interplay we produced and financed some of the finest RPG’s made, titles you may remember like Bard’s Tale, Dragon Wars, Stonekeep, Fallout, Icewind Dale, Baldur’s Gate and more. Nothing would please me more than to get back and really show what can be done without interruption from a publisher.

Ultimately it will be up to the supporters on whether the long awaited sequel to Wasteland gets made. I encourage you to get involved and spread the word by tweeting and promoting this wherever you can…. Let’s get this done!

-Brian Fargo

C2B on
    The codex has a second interview up. This time with Michael A. Stackpole.

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=8023

- One of Wasteland's defining elements was its character system. The direct use of attributes and skills on the environment was unusual yet highly impressive for the time. A quarter of a century later, would you change anything about the original system? Would you expand on it, refine it, or perhaps even scrap it altogether for something completely different?

MS: To preserve what players loved about Wasteland, the only real choice will be to build upon the original style of system and expand it. We did a lot with very few resources back then. I can't tell you the number of times Alan and I would be talking on the phone with tons of great ideas, but knew we were limited to a tiny number of them because of the limitations of computers and memory back then. As it was, Alan did a stunning job incorporating so much in the game, so we really made full use of everything we could do. We're already discussing new elements to add and systems that will make things seamless for the players.

- An extremely important part of Wasteland was its puzzles. Today, however, it seems that elaborate puzzles have no place in cRPGs. Why do you think this is? Do you consider them a viable element in modern game design? If not, what could be a contemporary replacement and would it be possible to create something as memorable as, say, Finster's Brain without them?

MS: The things that players tend to remember the most about Wasteland adventures were not the puzzles per se, but the moral choices players had to make. When I do book signings, now 24 years after Wasteland came out, I still get folks wanting to know what the "correct" solution was to dealing with the rabid dog. Why? Because they felt like hell killing the dog. The dog puzzle, if you will, engaged players on an emotional level. That's not something that happens when you're killing ten orcs to get a key to unlock a chest which contains a scroll which will let you find a treasure which is the sword that lets you kill a monster. Why designers haven't stepped up to engage players emotionally is beyond me; though it may have to do with the difference between making puzzles and creating stories. Ultimately, creating stories is what we did with Wasteland, and what we'll do with the new Wasteland.

- Today's role-playing video games tend to be developed with maximum accessibility in mind. A lot of developers seem to discourage experimentation and exploration by introducing features such as quest markers to guide the players. Wasteland, however, didn't hold your hand at all, and it was therefore extremely easy to miss out on large chunks of content. What is your stance on this today?

MS: A hunk of the appeal of rpgs is the element of discovery. My preference would be to keep everything in world, but quest markers and other visual clues on a mini-map might be something which is useful. Then again, with a top down view, getting and using clear and concise directions is a lot easier than in many a FPS or MMORPG. For my tastes, it would be fun to have a mode in which folks could get that hint information. Maybe a GPS device that functions off and on, so you use it sparingly. Ultimately, of course, we want the game experience to be fun, not frustrating. If navigation becomes a problem in that regard, finding a simple and elegant solution will move up in the list of design elements to be included.

edited March 2012
    Awww yeaaahh my body is ready, my wallet not so much but who the fuck cares about that guy?
    - Like many of the classics, Wasteland's rule system and design borrowed heavily from pen and paper RPGs. Given that current cRPGs seem to be influenced more by other video games instead, should Wasteland 2 be as firmly rooted in P&P as its predecessor?

MS: The fact that Wasteland was and will be a turn-based system means that P&P style rules and systems can work very well. We start from that basis and build a killer engine. That the designers with system design can do fairly easily, especially working from what we already have. After that, we have scenario designers who use those tools to create the adventures. What Wasteland had that a lot of RPGs lack today is depth and consequence. I firmly believe that's something that can be taught to designers, and encouraged in the development phases by editors. In short, designers will pick up the skills to create a game worthy of the Wasteland legacy.

I liked this quote. I liked it a lot. It'll be awesome if we get more games based on the engine they're making for this game. More isometric turn-based RPGs!

EVOL on
  • lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    I bet they could get a good amount of money by making mod tools a separate tier at kickstarter. As in, "For $ 60 you get a copy of the tools we used to make the game".

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
    EVOL wrote: »
    I liked this quote. I liked it a lot. It'll be awesome if we get more games based on the engine they're making for this game. More isometric turn-based RPGs!

It's actually still out if they are doing a new engine (according to Fargo) IMO, they shouldn't. It would be a huge time and money sink (which I would rather see them investing in good, complex content) And there are alternatives (For example: They could hit up Obsidian for their (very flexible) engine)

Tell InXile your Wasteland 2 ideas here

http://www.google.com/moderator/#16/e=1f7176

• What Is Schwa?What Is Schwa? Registered User regular
    Thanks for the updates CB2. I've put most of your info in the opening post. I feel like I may have stepped on your toes here, you seem to be more on the ball than I.

• MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Heh, I knew Fargo got the IP for Wasteland a while back. Glad to see they're putting it to use.

Meiz wrote: »
    Heh, I knew Fargo got the IP for Wasteland a while back. Glad to see they're putting it to use.

He's tried to pitch it for years. Jason Anderson was mainly hired to make a pitch for W2. (At least if I get that Fargo Interview right) They tried to pitch it multiple times to different publishers and basically always got laughed at.

@What is Schwa?

Nah, I'm too lazy for OP's :). I'm satisfied just for providing info. I only got really interested in this after Fargo started hiring the original Wasteland team anyway.

edited March 2012
    Doublepost, Forum acted up.

C2B on
  • A-PuckA-Puck Registered User regular
    Huh, it made Fark. That'll help it grab some money when the kickstarter starts.

Soon... soon I will install you, my precious.
    Neato. Confirmation this will be on steam.

I'm in for $100. I'm really sad I can't put in more money for a named weapon. Little kid me is disappointed with my adult self.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    NRC NRC NRC NRC.
    Nuke em till they glow then shoot em in the dark.

Update to tiers, there will be a DRM Free version.

edited March 2012
    Crossposting this since people interested in Wasteland probably also liked Fallout.

Tim Cain's GDC Fallout Post-Mortem (starts at 8min)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc2drosgKk4&t=8m0s

C2B on
  • PsycohedPsycohed On a Fool's ErrandRegistered User regular
    C2B wrote: »

Stuff like this is always particularly interesting to me, because I used to work for SJ Games. Needless to say, Fallout was kinda of a weird subject around the office. I didn't start there until well after the Fallout fallout, but piecing together scuttlebutt I got the impression that GURPS and Fallout decoupling was as much about licensing issues as anything. While I don't doubt there might have been disagreements about art assets - Steve's tastes have run in odd directions at times - what I got was more that SJG and Interplay couldn't comfortably settle on contract issues than some dispute over excessive violence.

brig_banner.png
    MrPsycohed wrote: »

Stuff like this is always particularly interesting to me, because I used to work for SJ Games. Needless to say, Fallout was kinda of a weird subject around the office. I didn't start there until well after the Fallout fallout, but piecing together scuttlebutt I got the impression that GURPS and Fallout decoupling was as much about licensing issues as anything. While I don't doubt there might have been disagreements about art assets - Steve's tastes have run in odd directions at times - what I got was more that SJG and Interplay couldn't comfortably settle on contract issues than some dispute over excessive violence.

Could it be that the violence incident was just the last straw?

First: Ausir founded a Wasteland 2 wiki on curse

http://wasteland.falloutwiki.com/Wasteland_2_Wiki

It's very rough at the moment but should improve quickly enough.

Secondly in a little more depressing news
    So I ask a few long time friends at publishers to tweet about the #Wasteland #kickstarter as a favor and they refuse to help. Disappointing.

Secondly in a little more depressing news
    So I ask a few long time friends at publishers to tweet about the #Wasteland #kickstarter as a favor and they refuse to help. Disappointing.

...Why not? :(

• farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    Not to sound like a dickhole, but if someone was trying to cut out a fat bloated bureaucracy out of the process, and my job title was bureaucrat #37 at said bureaucracy, i wouldnt exactly be rushing to help either.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    farbekrieg wrote: »
    Not to sound like a dickhole, but if someone was trying to cut out a fat bloated bureaucracy out of the process, and my job title was bureaucrat #37 at said bureaucracy, i wouldnt exactly be rushing to help either.

Ha, exactly. Kind of ballsy to even ask, to say nothing of tweeting disappointment.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    edited March 2012
    farbekrieg wrote: »

They are in no danger of losing anything, though. Private devs are still dependant on publisher contracts. (Well, inXile is rather small so I'm not exactly sure if they could survive for a while.)

But, thats not really the issue here. Those were personal favors and its a little sad that they refused. Especially if so many twitters say "My tweets are mine and do not affect my employers opinion"

C2B on
    edited March 2012
    Andrée Wallin is doing concept art for Wasteland 2.

His work on games includes:

Halo 4
    Dirt 3
    Napoleon: Total War

He also did Previsualization Art for the upcoming Pinoccio and Godzilla movies and does Concept Art of the upcoming Joseph Kasinski Movie Oblivion with Tom Cruise (He also worked on the original graphic novel).

His Portofolio is here:

http://andreewallin.com/portfolio

Hole-in-one-611x670.jpg

C2B on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    Well, looks like it's finally time to sell that kidney.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Looking at the rewards, my wallet is going to hurt...

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I really hope they don't get sued by Bethesda.