As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wasteland 2] 14 major areas to explore. One to press your balls against.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    45'000

5'000 in 5 min.

C2B on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Nevermind

C2B on
  • Options
    50'000

• Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I wonder if the obsidian kickstarter will be the next one we hear about... icewinddale 3 or something

edit: also pppllllz get funded on day one ;)

farbekrieg on
  • Options
    did someone (hopefully not me) break kickstarter by hitting f5 every 3 minutes? its like ocd candy for me

• Options
    edited March 2012
    A possible Tim Cain+Chris Avellone combo could probably even challenge the Double Fine's Kickstarter.

Anyway, 55'000

C2B on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Apostrophes

Why

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    but a C2B bot should able to update its programming, its simple ascii replacement.

perhaps we should send C2B in for a tune up, sadly my repair skill and science skill are too low :(

• Options
    60'000

• Options
    edited March 2012
    65'000

Edit: 1'000 backers reached.

C2B on
  • Options
    70'000

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Are you intending to post for every 5,000 all the way to 900k? Because that's a lot of posts. If it makes it that far.

Anyway, the mad rush out of the gate is good to see but also completely to be expected. The telling time will be how far they have got and what kind of pace they are keeping after 24hrs.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Are you intending to post for every 5,000 all the way to 900k? Because that's a lot of posts. If it makes it that far.

Since the donation speed has improved I'm switching to higher numbers now.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    No, you're not.

We don't need live updates. People can go to the Kickstarter page to see the numbers.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    No, you're not.

We don't need live updates. People can go to the Kickstarter page to see the numbers.

Or that.

Anyway, if anyone's wondering if they can use Steam since the Kickstarter mentions "DRM-Free". Yes, according to this faq:
    Can I get my digital copy on Steam, if I want?
    Absolutely. The digital copies will be made available through Steam and other DRM free digital distribution methods.

Also you have to pledge an additional $15 for international shipping.

C2B on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    "Would I fucking be here if I did Angry Birds?"

Kinda funny video, but he definitely doesn't have the charisma of Tim. Oh, and Jason Anderson looks like he'll kill me and make a skin suit if I don't pledge.

But, as a fan of Interplay in the 80s, how can I not pledge? I was a teenager when most of these games came out.

Esh on
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    So 65$ for a boxed copy? Tempting.

• Options
    95'000 1589 backers :D

Ok different note, im curious to see what kind sales numbers kickstarter backed projects are going to have. As an example what makes a successful release of a game.

For an independently funded game selling 100k copies should be considered a smashing success. But look at doublefine, they are giving out 80k copies of the game to backers, so you need to be considered a huge success to make actually make a profit (200k).

But when you kickstart a game you are tapping your target audience, normally for an indy game getting 100k units sold is a smashing success. But when your core audience are your backers (doublefine for instance) 80k copies are already promised to fans.

It is basically a gamble on your value of a name (as opposed to a publisher or an IP and its history), if the game flops you are severely comprised among your community of fans, and they are not likely to come back. Even rampant success doesnt exactly mean you can bring your IP to a publisher for another sequel.

I am expecting around 75k backers for wasteland, but what kind of secondary market will there be for this game. I hope they can sexy it up for the kids similiar to the Xcom reboot with a glam cam, alternate skins, a creation kit for fans etc.

• Options
    Does any employee payroll come out of Kickstarting at all? If so, I don't see the issue. If they get paid, and then fans continue to fund subsequent projects, it should all work out.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Hrm. I wish the $50 box version also came with a digital download...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Well the biggest part of a 'success' is breaking even and moving into profits. If you frontload all the people paying for the game into funding the game, then as long as you release without going over budget you've at least broken even. Any sale after that point is profit.

Putting this out on Steam should give me a good audience, too, as long as their price point isn't ridiculous.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    I'm in for $100. I'm going to play with that miniature all day.

• Options
    All of you are making my day.... We might really get Wasteland 2 made. It bring tears to my eyes.

• Options
    Iolo wrote: »

I'd hope it does and they just missed out the 'previous reward+' bit at the start of the description.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Esh wrote: »
    Does any employee payroll come out of Kickstarting at all? If so, I don't see the issue. If they get paid, and then fans continue to fund subsequent projects, it should all work out.

Yes but kickstarter represents a huge opportunity for devs to advance their creative control and health of their company. Creating or in this case fostering an IP can do crazy things for a company. Bethesda having the elder scrolls allows them to perform necromancy on Fallout, im hoping that Borderlands will have a similar effect on duke nukem.

The point being, so much of the gaming landscape is chasing whats popular and shitting out clones of those games, this hurts the gaming community as a whole. Innovation is stifled because its hard to get funding for something new, or worse considered no longer profitable. Success here can lead to a healthier more dynamic gaming community and that is exciting.

Working 70 hr weeks on your baby is so much different than FPS clone number76231074... maybe im taking this too personally

126'000!

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular

I'd hope it does and they just missed out the 'previous reward+' bit at the start of the description.

Yeah, except that the $100 box explicitly says also comes w/ a digital version.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options

yeah that does seem kind of weird... id bump to 65 if it got me both my box and a digital download

• Options
    Time for us to get the shrine and blood sausage figurine ready... We just got our first $10,000 donation!

• Options
    BrewBrew Registered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote: »

yeah that does seem kind of weird... id bump to 65 if it got me both my box and a digital download

In the FAQ at the bottom of their Kickstart page:

I am a collector, can I get a digital copy with my Large Box Copy so I don't have to open the box?
    Due to popular demand, the $50 pledge for the Large Box Copy now also comes with a Digial Download copy of the game. We understand the collector mindset!

1st ever "Penny-Arcade Hero Academy Tournament" Toilet Bowl Champion!
    steam_sig.png
    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
    And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    farbekrieg wrote: »

Brew noticed that a digital copy is in fact included but for the Order of the Stick Kickstart, they seemed to have people getting multiple reward levels like that. I don't think the system really handles it because the writer was asking people to include a message about what they wanted for their dollars.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »
    Time for us to get the shrine and blood sausage figurine ready... We just got our first $10,000 donation!

that was probably Notch, given his twitter response

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    And now Felicia Day has retweeted someone linking to the kickstarter page.

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »
    And now Felicia Day has retweeted someone linking to the kickstarter page.

i had completely forgotten she was in new vegas ;) and she only has what... almost 2 million followers
    poor brian fargo only has 1,843.... i think the answer here is clear.

brian needs to get a nice pair of tits

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Man, I think I might want the full box dealie with the map and I don't even have anything to play the game on.

I could just hold it and now the whole game is in the box, ready at any time for me...

Wait, that sounds weird.

But I do want that map.

• Options
    So what's with the blood sausage thing? That's just what you colonials call black pudding, right?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    So what's with the blood sausage thing? That's just what you colonials call black pudding, right?

"Explodes like a blood sausage".

It's a descriptive flavor text when you kill someone.

Get off my lawn.

Esh on
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I just hope that the whole audience for the game won't end up kickstartering, since people need to buy it after its made too!

I'm still debating donation level. $10k reward is really appealing, but I'm on the other side of the country, so going to that party would cost a lot too.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    you're not really donating, you're essentially pre-ordering (with bonuses)

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't think many people realize just how much Fallout was a remake of Wasteland. I often here "minor references" or "inspired by." Screw that.

I was about the biggest Wasteland fan that ever was. Playing through Fallout, I knew I was playing a full-fledged remake. Characters, weapons, armor, quests, cities, mechanics... all of them received a full re-surfacing, changing details and labels and such, but at their core they were all nearly identical in 1987 and 1997. First quest in Wasteland? Repair the water purifier and Highpool Camp. First quest in Fallout? Vault 13's water chip. And it just continues in parallel from there.

So for me, Fallout 2 was Wasteland 2. I mean, I bought Fountain of Dreams. It was real hard to get into. I wanted a Wasteland 2 so badly that in order to make peace I had to tell myself that Fallout 2 was Wasteland 2. And to this day I play Fallout games with the full belief that I am playing the Wasteland series.

That being said, anyone who ever played Wasteland in the 80s, and liked it, better donate at least $10. I'll be doing at least $100. If Fargo and the rest of the original dev team are calling this the true Wasteland 2, and if they are trying to resurrect the party-based RPG, then so be it. Want.

Holy cow I'm seriously thinking of trying to do one of the $1,000+ levels. Those rewards give me tingles.

Yar on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Memories...

Once the introductions have been made, the Big Boss pulls out a box of
    cigars and passes them around, explaining that it is his special blend, grown
    somewhere further north. When everyone is comfortable, and the bodyguards
    have taken up unobtrusive positions behind you, he begins to talk.

"You must be the Rangers sent to help."

"What do you mean?" you cautiously ask.

"One of my men is missing. We don't think he's dead, because he's too valuable
    to kill. We think some other group in town has grabbed him. If we don't
    get him back, the whole town will probably be overrun by these damn death
    machines that have started to appear, because he's the only one in town with the
    scientic know-how to get them. He's the one who thought of the landmines,
    and they've destroyed more robots than anything else in town." Brygo reaches
    into his desk and brings out a drawing of a rather ordinary looking man. This
    is Max," he explains. "He came to us about a year ago from the Wasteland
    to the east. He was the greatest hand-to-hand fighter we'd ever seen and he
    also seemed to know a lot about the science from before the War. He didn't
    remember where he came from at least, that's what he told us. I quickly made
    him my right hand man."

"When we began to hear rumors of death machines coming out of the west,
    and especially when the rest of them reached the Vegas borders several weeks
    ago, Max grew frantic. He began to talk crazy, about how all life was in peril,
    and how only he could save us. He said he needed special equipment, and that
    someone near Vegas should have it. I should have put a guard on him then, but
    instead, I decided to send Ace out to look for help. One night Max disappeared.
    We've been looking for him ever since without success. Now I've lost my best
    man, and things are getting worse. Newer and stronger robotic death machines
    are appearing all the time. If we don't find Max soon, even a fortress like this
    may not be able to hold out against the death machines. Go see Charmaine in
    the Mushroom Church. Tell her I sent you and she may be able to help."
    You nod your head. "Yeah. We've tangled with some of these death machines
    before, and we gotta stop whoever's making them. Any clues?"

"There are two other power groups here in Vegas that we know of. Fat Freddy
    runs the criminal element. He'd like to take over my position. There's also the
    Servants of the Mushroom Cloud religious fanatics who won't be happy until
    every person in Vegas has been converted to their own poisonous religion. There
    may be others. Vegas is a big town. But those are the ones we suspect most. I
    need you to go find Max. What do you say? Will you do it?"

The Desert Rangers huddle for a few minutes. You decide that taking on this
    mission could be quite an adventure and decide to go for it. Besides, your
    curiosity has been aroused. You are sure that Max knows a lot more than he
    has told Brygo. If you want explanations, he's the man you'll need to see.

"All right," you tell the Boss,
    "we'll find him if he's findable. In the meantime,
    you try to hold out here."

The Big Boss stands up, shakes your hands, and wishes you all luck. Then he
    shows you the way out.

WL_ani_226.gif
    The massive Scorpitron, a tank with an armored warrior, is by far the deadliest robot the Desert Rangers will have to face in post holocaust Las Vegas. With an automatic tail-mounted cannon, tons of armour and significant resistance, it can destroy an unprepared party in just a few turns. Unprepared Rangers will not survive.

It is recommended to engage the Scorpitron at maximum distance and pelt it with rockets, laser arms and other high end weaponry to wear down its armour and blow it to kingdom come.

The first time i finished this sucker with the last guy of my party, whilst the rest was scattered mortally wounded. And dead IS PERMANENT in this one.
    It found its death by being torn apart by a crowbar after hurling countless grenades and firing two dozend LAW rockets into it, a move of pure desperation.
    Even more surprising everybody survived, because by an incredible stroke of luck i managed to avoid all encounters and mines on the way to the doc.

night-screamer.gif
    The NIGHT TERROR

The Director, a handsome, slender man, waves you to chairs that face
    his desk. Beyond his desk you see a window into an alien landscape. Through
    the window you see a red world with strangely-shaped plants. You see animals
    slinking through the shadows and crawling across massive rock outcroppings.
    You shudder. It just doesn't feel right.

The Director, Irwin John Finster, notices your stare and smiles like a snake oil
    salesman. "I see you've noticed my pet project. This is how the world will be
    when all men are gone. It will once again return to the pristine paradise it was
    before man rose up and destroyed it."

He turns away from the window and smiles at you. "By the very fact that
    you are here, I know you have recovered certain items of a technical nature.
    Whatever prompted you to violate this base's security, I do not know, but I am
    willing to forgive it." He sits, leans back and steeples his fingers. "Because of
    the delicate nature of our work here all very hush-hush, you know I must
    ask you to leave."

Suddenly he leans forward and scowls. "If you do not want to go, well, we are
    not without means to deal with even the likes of dreaded Desert Rangers."

I hope it fares better than Fountain of Dreams...

ACSIS on