As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Apple Genius?

Beren39Beren39 Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
So this may seem really petty, but my friend works at a Mac tech support call center and he keeps saying he wants to get his Genius certification as quickly as possible because they supposedly start at 27/hour. He always bs' me and I said that seemed impossibly high but he insisted it was true in a rather insulting way. Is it? I know that a lot of RN's for example start at an hourly wage similar to that even after all their training, it just seems a little too good to be true.

Go, Go, EXCALIBUR! - Trent Varsity Swim Team 2009, better watch out for me Phelps!
camo_sig.png
Beren39 on

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Well, it's a fairly small sample of 141 reported salaries, but this site lists it as ranging from 13 to 26, and that's not necessarily just limited to starting. It's probably not outside the realm of possibility that in some high-priced area they might start that high, but I'd say it's the exception rather than the rule.

Ed: You might have to try that link a few times. Sometimes it shows their info, other times it shows just XX.XX, and sometimes it shows a screen asking you to register.

Daenris on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    yeah my friend makes mid 20s/hr as a genius, but he had to work his way up to genius and this is in new york city, during the overnight shift

poo
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Different areas and specialties have different pay scales. If I'm a Mac genius working in a Mac store in Podunk US, I'll be making 4 or 5 dollars over what minimum wage makes. If I'm a Mac genius at the head of a repair line installing and replacing new LCD screens to refurbed Macs id make considerably more. If I was a Mac genius in charge of handling special cases where a client needed their Mac and their life saved... well I'd make much more. Certifications are part of your job, but your career path and what your are required and expected to do are not defined by your certs. Side note: your skills are not defined by your certs either.

Bendery It Like Beckham on