Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Roasts and Casseroles. [Cooking and Food Thread]

FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Social Entropy++
It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a chicken in possession of good vegetables, must be in want of slow roasting.

However little known the seasonings or herbs of such a bird may be on it's first entering a kitchen, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding chefs, that it is considered the rightful property of some one or other of their sous.

Burgers are fine, steaks are great, but there is nothing, nothing quite like a slowly roasted piece of meat. Whether your preference takes you to a nicely cut piece of beef, or you lean more towards a whole chicken, roasting it slowly is the best possible way to prepare it.

4752_MEDIUM.jpg

Some amongst you may question this philosophy, some may pour scorn on my ideas, some may mock me, or attack me personally.

That's fine, you're allowed your personal preferences, and I don't mind that you're wrong.

I forgive you.

Recipe #1, roasted chicken.

First, preheat your oven to about 240 C (464 F).

Layer vegetables of your choice on the bottom of a roasting tin, personally I find that 3 sliced medium onions, and a mixture of quartered carrots, quartered parsnips, whole baby button mushrooms, whole cherry tomatoes, seasoning, and a drizzle of olive oil works out really well.

Next, and this is a bit contentious with some people, I prefer to not have my chicken tied up when it is in the oven, letting it rest in a slightly more loose and natural pose, often I will do nothing but season the chicken after I place it on top of the vegetables, but feel free to experiment with putting flavours under the skin of the breast, or in the cavity.

Put the lid on your roasting tin, and put it in the oven, immediately turning it down to 160 C (320 F), and cook until it's done, I find 90 - 120 minutes is generally plenty of time for the chicken sizes I tend to get.

Personally I consider this roast a failure if the meat isn't so tender that the legs of the chicken come loose and fall off when you are lifting the bird from roasting tin to board for carving, and beyond a couple of cuts to help with the large breasts most of the meat should just pull away easily if you want it to, although this doesn't exactly give you the prettiest and neatest pieces of chicken to serve.

So let's get some saliva flowing via the sharing of recipes, and get our group hug on when dinner plans go horribly wrong for a poor soul in our midst.

Fyndir on

This discussion has been closed.