As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• FalkenFalken Registered User regular
    Do you any sort of proof of the heat issues? At all? The already existing i5 tablet doesn't. The iPad seems to though.

Holy shit, could you pick a more obnoxious way to link something?

Yeah, let me watch some nerd's passive aggressive flash animation pull up a google search. Or you could just link the article that's the actual source for what you're claiming, like a grownup. I'd love it if people's research papers had cite notes like [3]Just google it mum ugh

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Is it known whether the pen is pressure sensitive? This series 7 slate just might need upgrading around Christmas.

Does the Series 7 digitizer pen work really well? I've been looking for a tablet that could double as something I can use for digital art. Although that is a pricey slate.

It does work quite well. My biggest complaint is that Wacoms drivers are terrible for built in digitizers. The one for the slate completely fail in W8. I'm hoping that there is an updated driver when W8 is officially launched.

What kind of problems are you encountering with the Wacom drivers, out of curiosity? Is it the typical lack of sensitivity/accuracy the farther from center you go? (I've always found that odd - a normal Wacom tablet pen doesn't seem to have that kind of issue, and is extremely precise for any given position on screen)

I would bet the Surface won't have a pressure sensitive pen, unfortunately.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Falken wrote: »
    Do you any sort of proof of the heat issues? At all? The already existing i5 tablet doesn't. The iPad seems to though.

Holy shit, could you pick a more obnoxious way to link something?

Yeah, let me watch some nerd's passive aggressive flash animation pull up a google search. Or you could just link the article that's the actual source for what you're claiming, like a grownup. I'd love it if people's research papers had cite notes like [3]Just google it mum ugh

Oh man, you telling people to act like grownups after spending an entire page trolling has to be the highlight of my say so far, keep it up, you're entertaining in a sad pathetic way.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    Trolling is not "saying things you believe even if it isn't what others do"

Trolling is "deliberately winding people up for your own amusement"

Hope it helps!

• jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    If the P4 XP thing wasn't a deliberate troll I feel bad for you.

• Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    jackal wrote: »
    People (normal people) do occasionally update their OS. Plus businesses. And even if it comes OEM, MS still gets paid. PCI connectors are commodity items.

Businesses do not update the OS except through kicking and screaming. We are still on XP here, with a transition to seven taking place, but rolling out very slowly.

Anyway, I'm trying to picture typing on this keyboard the way I type on my Macbook Pro. Which is, lying or sitting on the couch or bed. Rarely do I set the laptop on a desk, which seems to be what they want me to do with the Surface. So, the keyboard as is, with a floppy hinge, is pretty useless to me.

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Kicking and screaming, yet still updating eventually, perhaps skipping an OS here and there. We're still on XP, but we're buying 10s of thousands of Windows 7 licenses.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I think many people are missing the point of this. Microsoft wants a unified computing environment for everyone. Windows 8 tablet, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 laptop, and XBox. Also Windows Home Server 2011.

This is just another piece to the puzzle. If you want a tablet, Windows Surface RT. If you want a more powerful tablet/laptop, Windows Surface Pro. Each is an option and I could see both being rolled out in the business world and desired by both the general public and tech enthusiasts.

The IT department I work in just got an iPad 3 for everyone, and many of us are excited about the possibility of the Surface RT. iPads are really, really irritating to manage as an IT department, and if Microsoft can alleviate that, businesses could switch from iPads to Surface. Businesses that already provide Microsoft with most of the revenue.

If you don't see the point or don't see a use for the Surface, maybe you just don't have need of one. But that doesn't mean that no one else wants one. I know I am very excited about it and though I'm waiting until I can get my hands on one to try before I buy one, it's got a much better shot of ending up in my home than an iPad.

Also, if you don't have a tablet to set it on, snap the cover to the back and use an on screen keyboard like every other tablet. I think the cover keyboard is not meant to always be in use, but a convenient option that is often missing unless you buy a third party option that uses wireless connectivity which depletes your battery faster.

Anyway, in the end, this was just a teaser announcement. We all want more details, and we are going to have to wait to get them. I'm glad to see Microsoft making the hardware for this, because they need to provide a model for the third party manufacturers to copy or improve upon because Windows tablets have been lacking for far too long.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    All I really want from a windows tablet is something that has the useability and form of an iPad without having to compensate for Apple's ridiculous hangups about things like Flash. As someone who recently went to the apple store to ask them how to get a file off my iPad and was told "oh you need to email it to a real computer" I hunger for a tablet that doesn't treat me like a four year old.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    All I really want from a windows tablet is something that has the useability and form of an iPad without having to compensate for Apple's ridiculous hangups about things like Flash. As someone who recently went to the apple store to ask them how to get a file off my iPad and was told "oh you need to email it to a real computer" I hunger for a tablet that doesn't treat me like a four year old.
    Not to step too far out of topic here, but that is the direction everyone is moving towards.

Not the "email it" thing (whoever said that was ridiculous as there are lots of options beyond email for most major apps), but more the abstraction of the file system from the end user. Microsoft has been itching to do this, and while they are getting there more slowly then apple, windows phone 7, one of the first pure metro devices, abstracts the file system like a apple does and does not have a flash or silverlight player.

I am guessing these problems (which really aren't problems if web developers used modern tools) will persist to Windows RT.

If you are willing to go with the reduced battery life and extra heft of the Intel Pro model, you will have everything windows offers, because it will be an ultrabook with a detachable keyboard.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular

Dude, use Dropbox. The app is great.

I also agree with you on the larger point.

---
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I think many people are missing the point of this. Microsoft wants a unified computing environment for everyone. Windows 8 tablet, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8 laptop, and XBox. Also Windows Home Server 2011.

I'm pretty excited about that. I'm a sucker for Metro. I think it could be implemented a bit better on the Xbox, but I like it. It'll be nice for MS to have a distinct brand again, especially if they can deliver on their "Three screens and the cloud" philosophy. I <3 interoperable devices/environments.

• syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited June 2012
    Nightslyr wrote: »

I also agree with you on the larger point.

---

I'm pretty excited about that. I'm a sucker for Metro. I think it could be implemented a bit better on the Xbox, but I like it. It'll be nice for MS to have a distinct brand again, especially if they can deliver on their "Three screens and the cloud" philosophy. I <3 interoperable devices/environments.

Metro on the xbox is terrible. It is a significant reduction in ease of use from NXE.

Sometimes it is better to create integrated functionality without an integrated UI if it means sticking to the strengths of the individual platforms as opposed to upending everything so things can look exactly the same everywhere.

Metro with a keyboard and traditional mouse or an xbox controller are examples of doing it wrong (IMO), whereas the phone and tablet (and ultrabooks with a big multitouch trackpad) are good fits for that kind of interface.

I like Metro; it just doesn't belong everywhere.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

That's solving the wrong problem.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.

Usually it solves both problems.

Most (good) apps can save into or work inside dropbox directly, or pass the file along to the app via in-app sharing. Dropbox made linking into their stuff really really easy for developers, so most do it now.

I have my dropbox folder on my computer, where I can drag things I want on my iPad, or open things I was working on from it.

It is pretty seamless, and something I suspect Microsoft will either emulate with their SkyDrive stuff, or let Dropbox make an app for them.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    My only complaint with Metro on the Xbox is that they didn't really think about how to chunk their information. A lot of it is nested too deeply, or is sacrificed to ad space. Like, say you want to look at new demos. You need to scroll to Games, then click Marketplace, then scroll over to Demos, then click Newest. Demos should be a top level item in the Games hub, with Newest and Popularity as 2nd level options.

Actual navigation, though, is easier, IMO. Shoulder buttons for categories, D-pad/left stick for individual items. I find it faster than scrolling up/down for a category, then going off-screen to the right where you can only see 3-4 items at a time.

My only complaint with Metro on the Xbox is that they didn't really think about how to chunk their information. A lot of it is nested too deeply, or is sacrificed to ad space. Like, say you want to look at new demos. You need to scroll to Games, then click Marketplace, then scroll over to Demos, then click Newest. Demos should be a top level item in the Games hub, with Newest and Popularity as 2nd level options.

Actual navigation, though, is easier, IMO. Shoulder buttons for categories, D-pad/left stick for individual items. I find it faster than scrolling up/down for a category, then going off-screen to the right where you can only see 3-4 items at a time.

To get to HBO Go, I have to

-go Past TV for some fucked up reason and go to the video tab
    -Open up my video apps (why it isn't top level I have no idea), which has no clear indicator that HBO would be in it.
    -then select it from there, if I have installed it.

This is goosey. HBO Go, as much as I use it, should be a live tile right on the first page, or at the very least a top level item in whatever tab I have to go to.

Also, having the triggers switch pages, or just walking the selected option left or right far enough to switch pages is not as intuitive as NXE was. you could do all your navigation from the dpad and get places quickly. I got an xbox for my dad during the NXE era, and the switch to metro took him at least a week to get over, and he still just uses to d pad to get around, which means he needs to go through like 20 stupid things to get to HBO Go.

MAYBE Metro can be implemented well on the xbox, but as it currently stands It is a pain in the ass to navigate.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »

The problem is not that e- mail is an inefficient use of the internet to transfer a file. The problem is using the internet to transfer a file to a computer that is right there.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • HRDSalami654HRDSalami654 Registered User regular
    Ayulin wrote: »
    Could someone with this installed do a quick check - is there a Kindle app in the Windows Store? There was one demoed during the preview launch event, but I can't seem to find it in the store.

There's a Kindle one now. I have it on my computer.

SirToasty wrote: »
    Yeah I really don't like jumping between Metro and the desktop on my computer. I think I would like this for a tablet but not for my computer that already has everything from Windows 7.

I also hate the fact that I almost always have to go into the task manager to kill any apps. Please just let me close them when I want to.

You can close them when you want to. Go to the top of the screen and drag the app downward.

Windows 8 is going to be awesome on a touched based system, I just wish they could have developed two separate designs for touch and desktop. They are already calling them two different things anyways.

The problem is not that e- mail is an inefficient use of the internet to transfer a file. The problem is using the internet to transfer a file to a computer that is right there.

Why? Why is this a problem? As long as it lets you transfer the file quickly and efficiently, what difference does it make?

Granted, there are situations where direct-device transfer would be needed (no web access available for one), but for most purposes, I don't see how using the internet is less efficient than finding a cable or just transferring over wifi.

edited June 2012
    The clashing color covers can tell the tablet what color they are and the tablet will change the background color to match it.

Can it change the colour of the actual device? Because that's the problem.

(No)

Turns out they're made of some Magnesium alloy. Hooooo boy.

So, you do know that the device is available in different colors, right? Did you even see the presentation they did, or were you so sure of how bad it was that you skipped it altogether. The guy who designed it walked out with the different colors in his hands. You can also tell the resolution from the spec sheet. Full HD is the same as 1920x1080, that is the case for all devices regardless of if they are Microsoft, Apple, etc.

HRDSalami654 on
    Why is it that when a new product is announced, and before anyone gets to even use it for an extended amount of time, people start talking like it will fail? I'm not trying to ask a rhetorical question here, I want to know if there is some part of the human brain that makes people batshit crazy when they see something new. If there is, I may not have all of the required parts of my brain.

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular

To get to HBO Go, I have to

-go Past TV for some fucked up reason and go to the video tab
    -Open up my video apps (why it isn't top level I have no idea), which has no clear indicator that HBO would be in it.
    -then select it from there, if I have installed it.

This is goosey. HBO Go, as much as I use it, should be a live tile right on the first page, or at the very least a top level item in whatever tab I have to go to.

Also, having the triggers switch pages, or just walking the selected option left or right far enough to switch pages is not as intuitive as NXE was. you could do all your navigation from the dpad and get places quickly. I got an xbox for my dad during the NXE era, and the switch to metro took him at least a week to get over, and he still just uses to d pad to get around, which means he needs to go through like 20 stupid things to get to HBO Go.

MAYBE Metro can be implemented well on the xbox, but as it currently stands It is a pain in the ass to navigate.

I don't have HBO Go, but assuming it works the same as Netflix, it IS in a tile on the first page. It's (off the top of my head) called Quickplay and/or Quick Launch and it is the bottom left tile on the first screen. It has (recently used?, all?) games and apps listed.

This is just another piece to the puzzle. If you want a tablet, Windows Surface RT. If you want a more powerful tablet/laptop, Windows Surface Pro. Each is an option and I could see both being rolled out in the business world and desired by both the general public and tech enthusiasts.

So you say they're creating a unified enviroment... by making a shitload of different ones.

The Surface has two processor architectures. That's not unified.

And I can say it's failed already because a) the iPad got there three years ago, b) by trying to be both laptop and tablet it's worse at both, and c) microsoft have consistently failed to succeed anywhere outside of keyboards and mice, the windows operating system and office, and the xbox. They've got an amazing track record of failure and no direction as a company in the slightest.

So Microsoft has failed at everything except their whole line of products? What?

The only two solid failures they have ever had were the Kin and the Zune. That's it. Both of those failures were because the marketing for both devices was either bad or non-existent. The Kin was horrible hardware-wise also, but that was really the only device that deserved to fail, and it was one of the two that did. I am beginning to think you are a very bad troll. I knew you were one from the beginning, but from the amount of text I would have thought there was at least some degree of intelligence there.

• JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    Is it known whether the pen is pressure sensitive? This series 7 slate just might need upgrading around Christmas.

Does the Series 7 digitizer pen work really well? I've been looking for a tablet that could double as something I can use for digital art. Although that is a pricey slate.

It does work quite well. My biggest complaint is that Wacoms drivers are terrible for built in digitizers. The one for the slate completely fail in W8. I'm hoping that there is an updated driver when W8 is officially launched.

What kind of problems are you encountering with the Wacom drivers, out of curiosity? Is it the typical lack of sensitivity/accuracy the farther from center you go? (I've always found that odd - a normal Wacom tablet pen doesn't seem to have that kind of issue, and is extremely precise for any given position on screen)

I would bet the Surface won't have a pressure sensitive pen, unfortunately.

The problem that is occurring is that installing the Wacom driver breaks swipe and other gestures. It also seems to mess with press and hold on the touch screen.

So you say they're creating a unified enviroment... by making a shitload of different ones.

The Surface has two processor architectures. That's not unified.

Lots of devices with different form factors. And all with the same tight integration and user experience. I'd call that pretty unified.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    How about a functioning question...Is the Store active for the desktop release preview? Or, alternatively, how does one get to installing other Metro apps?

When I click on the Store, it says I'm not connected to the internet, when I am definitely connected to the internet.

• centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    I’d buy a Surface if they go for around $200 so I could replace my aging couch-side laptop.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    How about a functioning question...Is the Store active for the desktop release preview? Or, alternatively, how does one get to installing other Metro apps?

When I click on the Store, it says I'm not connected to the internet, when I am definitely connected to the internet.

You have a problem. The store should work, and allow you to install other metro apps.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I’d buy a Surface if they go for around $200 so I could replace my aging couch-side laptop.

Probably looking at $600 and $900 if I had to guess. There's no way they're going to sell it for $200 unless they pull an HP and give up on it after 4 months.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    august wrote: »

You have a problem. The store should work, and allow you to install other metro apps.

The stock apps all know how to use my internet connection, just not the store, apparently.

edited June 2012
    So Microsoft has failed at everything except their whole line of products? What?

The only two solid failures they have ever had were the Kin and the Zune. That's it. Both of those failures were because the marketing for both devices was either bad or non-existent. The Kin was horrible hardware-wise also, but that was really the only device that deserved to fail, and it was one of the two that did. I am beginning to think you are a very bad troll. I knew you were one from the beginning, but from the amount of text I would have thought there was at least some degree of intelligence there.

Kin, Zune, Microsoft all tablet computer efforts released so far, Windows CE, Windows Mobile (holy shit, did you know those were two different things?) Windows Phone 7 (at an amazing 1.9% marketshare as of Q1 this year, and no windows phone 7 phone can run windows phone 8), the first Microsoft Surface, the second Microsoft Surface, Silverlight, Bob...

Microsoft have an incredibly large list of failures outside the core areas of Windows, Office, and the Xbox, many of them very recent. You can't deny this, and pointing them out doesn't make me a troll. It makes me minimally observant.

What the fuck is this forum software doing? Why does it keep putting posts inside the quoted one?

Falken on
    Pretty sure if you are claiming the Microsoft Surface 1.0 was 1) a product and 2) a failed product you are probably trolling.

Or maybe just monumentially non-observant.

edited June 2012
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Pretty sure if you are claiming the Microsoft Surface 1.0 was 1) a product and 2) a failed product you are probably trolling.

Or maybe just monumentially non-observant.

Actually it was released in 08.

Falken on
    Sorry. A consumer product.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It was never intended as a consumer product, and I've seen them at Hard Rock Cafe and a few other places. So no, it didn't fail, it was more an R&D concept than anything else.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
    And I can say it's failed already because a) the iPad got there three years ago, b) by trying to be both laptop and tablet it's worse at both, and c) microsoft have consistently failed to succeed anywhere outside of keyboards and mice, the windows operating system and office, and the xbox. They've got an amazing track record of failure and no direction as a company in the slightest.

...What about Microsoft BOB?

• centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »

Probably looking at $600 and $900 if I had to guess. There's no way they're going to sell it for $200 unless they pull an HP and give up on it after 4 months.

Price it more than an iPad? I can see that for the high end ones, but the low end model I expect to be “a little” over $200 and creep down over time.

I’m not in a big hurry to replace my laptop because it’s still going strong for web surfing and text editing, but it’d like something a little more portable and it’d put the cost of that portability at about $200.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.