As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WIN8 & WIN10] Search Energy Star, learn about windows in windows using Windows.

• Options
    HakuninHakunin Registered User regular
    I upgraded from a OEM licence Win7 day one. I like new shiny things.

Now that I have room in my budget, I'm thinking about getting a SSD.

Can I move or - preferably - do a clean install of Win10 on the SSD? I'm a little unclear on how replacing the hard disk works for us folks that upgraded from OEM Win.

A SSD is kinda pointless if I can't install my main system OS on it.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Hakunin wrote: »
    A SSD is completely pointless if I can't install my main system OS on it.

It's sometimes easy to forget for all the recommendations for SSDs (I have two of them), but they're one of the very few upgrades that only improve performance for things actually on them--in other words, they do jack shit for a program not installed on them (of course, the goal becomes to basically have a cache of everything you use regularly, most obviously your OS, on an SSD).

To answer your question, though it might be less desirable, you could get your root drive down to the capacity of the SSD if it isn't already, and do a complete hard drive clone, "moving" the installation (many SSDs ship when a tool specifically for that purpose). I've done the same thing myself quite recently from a Crucial M4 to a Samsung 850 Pro (SSD reliability is not yet as rock solid as what you'd get from the likes of Western Digital).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited September 2015
    Synthesis wrote: »
    To answer your question, though it might be less desirable, you could get your root drive down to the capacity of the SSD if it isn't already, and do a complete hard drive clone, "moving" the installation (many SSDs ship when a tool specifically for that purpose). I've done the same thing myself quite recently from a Crucial M4 to a Samsung 850 Pro (SSD reliability is not yet as rock solid as what you'd get from the likes of Western Digital).

As I've heard it, that doesn't get you the full capabilities of the SSD, as the OS is still optimized for a platter drive, you need to do a fresh install for the OS to set up all its SSD shinies.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    Hakunin wrote: »
    I upgraded from a OEM licence Win7 day one. I like new shiny things.

Now that I have room in my budget, I'm thinking about getting a SSD.

Can I move or - preferably - do a clean install of Win10 on the SSD? I'm a little unclear on how replacing the hard disk works for us folks that upgraded from OEM Win.

A SSD is kinda pointless if I can't install my main system OS on it.

You should be able to:
    1. Create a Windows 10 install disc/usb drive using the MS utility
    2. Disconnect your current hard drive
    3. Connect SSD
    4. Install clean Windows 10 on SSD using the media you created

Windows no longer uses keys, it uses a hardware ID from your motherboard to verify the OS install

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yep, just do a clean install of Win10 and it should be fine. If it asks for a key skip that step. The upgrades don't use a key.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Microsoft *finally* issued a guide about how activatoin works in Windows 10, 2 months after the OS released and most of us figured it out by itself.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

the tl:dr; is pretty much exactly as we thought. If you do an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 you do not get or use a product key. If you buy a standalone Windows 10 license, you get a product key.

For insiders, if you ran the insider builds on a machine that previously had an activated copy of Win7 or 8.1 on it you're fine. If the PC never had Win8 or 8.1 on it and you stop taking insider builds, you're not licensed.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »

As I've heard it, that doesn't get you the full capabilities of the SSD, as the OS is still optimized for a platter drive, you need to do a fresh install for the OS to set up all its SSD shinies.

Very possibly. I have no memory of what that would entail, since my most recent setup came to me with Windows 8.1 installed on the SSD courtesy of NCIX (and I copied it to another SSD in what amounted to solid state drive musical chairs). I'm not sure what the "shinies" are, but they may there.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    Microsoft *finally* issued a guide about how activatoin works in Windows 10, 2 months after the OS released and most of us figured it out by itself.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/activation-in-windows-10

the tl:dr; is pretty much exactly as we thought. If you do an upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1 you do not get or use a product key. If you buy a standalone Windows 10 license, you get a product key.

For insiders, if you ran the insider builds on a machine that previously had an activated copy of Win7 or 8.1 on it you're fine. If the PC never had Win8 or 8.1 on it and you stop taking insider builds, you're not licensed.

So basically, you should never buy Windows 10 from the Windows Store?

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    So, how do Windows 8.1 drivers work in Windows 10? I've got a motherboard I would like to use in a new PC build, but it only has drivers available for Windows 8.1. It would be 64bit.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    if the drivers are properly signed, they should work fine. no big driver model changes from 8.1 to 10, besides that microsoft tightened up the restrictions on improperly signed drivers as they move closer and closer to disallowing them completely.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Huh, this is kind of weird... but for some reason in Win10, when I choose to shut the computer down, it doesn't actually shut down.

It'll go through the whole process like normal, screen will go black...

...and then the login screen comes back up. Kind of weird to hit it to shut down for the night, and then walk out of the room, and then find the computer on when I wake up the next morning.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    Weird. One thing that's annoyed me about Windows 10 (and kept me from adopting it on my main desktop, among other reasons), is that on my Surface Pro, it seems to go through multiple "phases" on bootup--it'll go to my long-in screen with my visual password for a second, then go to the lock screen, as oppose to directly going to the lock screen. Minor quibble, but it's annoying.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    Windows 10 event tomorrow, who's excited? I was waiting for the Pro 4's to come out so I can then pickup a second hand Pro 3 cheap; but if the rumors of the active bezel in the Pro 4 are true then I might just get a Pro 4 instead.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    I'm not really out for any new hardware right now, but it'll be nice to see what they came up with.

• Options
    Weird. One thing that's annoyed me about Windows 10 (and kept me from adopting it on my main desktop, among other reasons), is that on my Surface Pro, it seems to go through multiple "phases" on bootup--it'll go to my long-in screen with my visual password for a second, then go to the lock screen, as oppose to directly going to the lock screen. Minor quibble, but it's annoying.

Do you actually use the lock screen for anything? If not, I think there's a registry edit to disable it entirely.

• Options
    jothki wrote: »

Do you actually use the lock screen for anything? If not, I think there's a registry edit to disable it entirely.

I use it to sign into my Surface Pro--I'm not certain you can bypass it without giving up things like OneDrive integration (which is usually awesome).

When I got my Windows 8.1 desktop, I was adamant about bypassing the log-in as I had on my Windows 7 machine, but eventually relented for that reason (which may have changed since then)--instead, I just have it stay logged-in until I restart or log-out.

• Options
    So the Lumia 950 XL apparently has liquid cooling. they're touting that as a feature.

I'm sorry, but if you're cell phone needs liquid cooling you need to shoot that phone, and whoever came up with the idea, into the sun.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Snapdragon 810 is kind of a bad chip. I think Sony is doing something similar in the high-end Z5.

It's not really "liquid cooling" as much as "a heatpipe with some liquid in it".

a5ehren on
  • Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Snapdragon 810 is kind of a bad chip. I think Sony is doing something similar in the high-end Z5.

It's not really "liquid cooling" as much as "a heatpipe with some liquid in it".

it really isn't as bad as people are making it out to be. It generates more heat but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. The Z5 just has an additional heat dissapator from the SoC.

• Options
    darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    darren66 wrote: »
    Windows 10 event tomorrow, who's excited? I was waiting for the Pro 4's to come out so I can then pickup a second hand Pro 3 cheap; but if the rumors of the active bezel in the Pro 4 are true then I might just get a Pro 4 instead.

Active bezel rumor turned out to be a bust. Aaannd cheapest Surface Pro 4 with 8GB of RAM is $1300. Sticking with my original plan to get a Surface Pro 3 once they price drop.

Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    So the Lumia 950 XL apparently has liquid cooling. they're touting that as a feature.

I'm sorry, but if you're cell phone needs liquid cooling you need to shoot that phone, and whoever came up with the idea, into the sun.

It will only cool the sun. It won't burn up.

• Options
    Surface Book pricing is available now:

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Book/productID.325716000?tduid=(7fa15be9af438d6e46d8a32a5236276f)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-mhkPiUC9WcgCeS6wy7tO0w)()

$1499 gets you 128GB storage/Core i5/integrated graphics/8GB RAM
    $1699 gets you 256GB/i5/integrated/8GB
    $1899 gets you 256GB/i5/discrete/8GB
    $2099 gets you 256GB/i7/discrete/8GB
    $2699 gets you 512GB/i7/discrete/16GB

All models come with the pen. No disclosure yet on what GPU model will be included, but I presume one of the tech bloggers will figure it out in their hands-ons.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    The gap that hinge leaves between the keyboard and lid is driving me CRAZY.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I think based on the little bit we know about the GPU specs, the guess is a GeForce 950m.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2015

I use it to sign into my Surface Pro--I'm not certain you can bypass it without giving up things like OneDrive integration (which is usually awesome).

When I got my Windows 8.1 desktop, I was adamant about bypassing the log-in as I had on my Windows 7 machine, but eventually relented for that reason (which may have changed since then)--instead, I just have it stay logged-in until I restart or log-out.

I don't see why it would. You're not disabling the forced log-in for an online account, you're just skipping the lock screen that you have to pass through to reach the real log-in screen.

First google search gives me this, which looks something like what I successfully did with Windows 8.1 on my Surface: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-lock-screen-windows-10

Edit: And you don't even need to use a non-local account to use OneDrive on Windows 10, just a separate sign-in to a Microsoft account like for everything else.

jothki on
  • Options

I don't see why it would. You're not disabling the forced log-in for an online account, you're just skipping the lock screen that you have to pass through to reach the real log-in screen.

First google search gives me this, which looks something like what I successfully did with Windows 8.1 on my Surface: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-lock-screen-windows-10

Edit: And you don't even need to use a non-local account to use OneDrive on Windows 10, just a separate sign-in to a Microsoft account like for everything else.

We're talking about different things--might be my fault--in my Windows 8.1 example, I specifically meant bypassing the log-in entirely (which is doable, but has problem).

This is just, as you said, bypassing the graphic lock screen in Windows 10 (I imagine something similar exists in 8.1). Which makes sense certainly.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Is anyone still waiting on their 10 upgrade? Mine is still in the waiting stage.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-Book/productID.325716000?tduid=(7fa15be9af438d6e46d8a32a5236276f)(256380)(2459594)(TnL5HPStwNw-mhkPiUC9WcgCeS6wy7tO0w)()

All models come with the pen. No disclosure yet on what GPU model will be included, but I presume one of the tech bloggers will figure it out in their hands-ons.

That price is all in, right? No extra charge for the keyboard?

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

ya that's the all-in price, you can't buy a surface book sans keyboard.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Is anyone still waiting on their 10 upgrade? Mine is still in the waiting stage.

Don't know if anyone is still waiting (I have it downloaded through the reservation tool, but not installed myself), but you can use http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install to do it now if you don't want to wait.

• Options

Yep. The only thing that would cost you extra is if you wanted the docking station or some other non-pen accessory.

• Options
    Some_tall_guySome_tall_guy Registered User regular

Yep. The only thing that would cost you extra is if you wanted the docking station or some other non-pen accessory.

Surface Book has a docking station? Are you thinking of the Surface Pro?

LOL ZEALURKS
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2015

Surface Book has a docking station? Are you thinking of the Surface Pro?

same dock for both surface pro 3/4 and surface book. Just adds extra ports etc.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Microsoft-Surface-Dock/productID.325725200

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options

Also, that's in American. For us folks paying in Canadian monopoly money the cheapest SKU is $1950, and it goes up from there....

• Options
    I haven't updated either of my computers, yet. I will likely bite the bullet on my laptop this weekend, if I feel "dangerous" enough to do so while I'm on the road and don't have a backup computer.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Question. Just built a new pc with a ssd as the C drive and a 1tb HDD as the E drive. It should be upgraded to windows 10 by now.

Is there a way to change the default install path to the E drive so that the SSD doesn't accidently get cluttered up?

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Xeddicus on
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Thank you that is exactly it. Ya, Windows is on the SSD, and it installed amazingly quick. Haven't really been able to see exactly how fast it is yet.

• Options
    as an aside, I don't understand the point of having an SSD if you're going to be installing apps onto a spinning drive. You're eliminating a good amount of the benefit.

• Options
    The right answer is to take the Computer Build Thread / PC Master Race path and buy big SSDs.