As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable?

• PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    Griswold wrote: »
    @Prime You should consider a 7870 over a 580 or 570. The 7800 series was just released -- the 7870 is solidly ahead of the 580 in benchmarks for less dough. The 7850 is on par with the 570, for about $60-$70 less.

I shall investigate.
    Shogun wrote: »
    Pariel wrote: »
    In other news a mate of mine purchased a 590 GTX and is not pleased with the performance.

Oh, colour me interested. All the info I've seen shows it being a cracker of a card.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Man I wish I'd bought a 212+ instead of this corsair H70. It's not like I needed the extra cooling from the water setup and dear god I just took the opportunity to clean the H70 while I was dismantling my build to get my mobo out. So much dust trapped between those fans and the radiator.

To be fair, you're going to get a lot of dust trapped in any radiator, whether it's part of a liquid cooling or an air cooling system.

But yeah, you've got to take some condensed air to those things every few months.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    So one of my neighbors was kind enough to hook me up with the following

Motherboard - MSI K9N6PGM2-V2 (AMD 3 - DDR2 8gb max)
    RAM - Patriot DDR2 800Mhz (Is supported by board)
    Graphics Card - Nvidia 9800 GT
    Power Supply - 500W Mod Xtream Pro
    Case
    Monitor

So at this point I am just needing my processor, Hard Drive, and OS.

steam_sig.png
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    Why get the 975 for $160 when the 980 is ten bucks cheaper, and is 3.7 instead of 3.6 MHz?

I think you're looking at the 980 OEM and the 975 retail. I'm not 100% positive, but I think the only difference is that the OEM doesn't have a stock HSF, which doesn't matter at all if you're already getting an aftermarket one. And really, I'm not even sure the 100MHz difference between the 980 and 975 is worth it for $10. I doubt you'd ever notice the difference.
    8PeLk.png

Yep, those are the ones I'm looking at. I don't completely understand what you're saying. Which of those should I go for?

Those three in the picture are a 975 OEM, an 980 OEM, and a retail 975 (each $10 more than the previous). The only difference I can find between the OEM and the retail versions is that the retail version comes with a stock heatsink & fan. That HSF will be good enough for stock speed, but if you're going to OC (which you probably should) you're going to need to buy an aftermarket HSF like the Coolermaster Hyper 212+. If that's the case, you don't have any reason to spend more for the retail version because you're just going to throw away the only reason to get it over the OEM version.

So get either the 975 OEM or the 980 OEM. Whether or not the extra 100MHz is worth $10 to you is debatable.

tl;dr - Get either the $140 975 OEM or the $150 980 OEM. You're pick.

• bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    so.. Headsets.. Seems there's NOTHING on the market that'll make this ps3pc switch easy and maintain some surround...except maybe the astro.... Lol

Questions

1-If the astro virtualized surround is it good? I mean will I actually perceive sounds behind me?
    1.1- would it be better to get stereo headsets? Would surround headsets interfere?
    2- does the astro have eq software? Eq presets?
    3- the pro has one USB so I'd have to switch that back and forth between pc and ps3?

still on the fence...I think I might actually give up on trying to get something to work ps3/pc friendly...i don't think it exists... =( What about straight up great pc headsets? Eyeing Siberia v2/corair 1500/tritton ax720

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    so.. Headsets.. Seems there's NOTHING on the market that'll make this ps3pc switch easy and maintain some surround...except maybe the astro.... Lol

Questions

1-If the astro virtualized surround is it good? I mean will I actually perceive sounds behind me?
    1.1- would it be better to get stereo headsets? Would surround headsets interfere?
    3- the pro has one USB so I'd have to switch that back and forth between pc and ps3?

still on the fence...I think I might actually give up on trying to get something to work ps3/pc friendly...i don't think it exists... =( What about straight up great pc headsets? Eyeing Siberia v2/corair 1500/tritton ax720

I've had a Corsair Vengeance 1500 for about 2-3 weeks now. Absolutely love them. Bought them almost exclusively for BF3 and it really is a world of difference. I know when MAVs and Heli's are flying right over me. I know when someone is shooting around a corner or across a square. You can hear sounds ahead of you, behind you, etc. Digital sound uses audio tricks to simulate surround sound but it works very well. Should you purchase the 1500 make sure you download the software from the website. It does not come with the product itself and though Windows has a driver that can get the headset working you have to have the software to equalize and really get the most out of them.

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    @Prime I really don't think top end GPUs are worth it on a tough budget. I'm not 100% up on if the price differences are the same in the UK as they are in the states but for the extra cost between something like a 560ti or a 7850 and a 580 you could instead snag an SSD, which will be a much better performance increase.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • ParielPariel Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    $1300 for just a tower (without a HDD) is quite a lot. Going with a cheaper motherboard and case, and a 7870 would probably allow an SSD to fit in the budget.
    Shogun asked me if I wanted to disable Aero, as did Cliffs of Dover. I just told them not to and moved on, maybe I'll go back and take a look at it while it's running though.

listen buddy I don't give a damn what you do with your Aero. In other news a mate of mine purchased a 590 GTX and is not pleased with the performance.

Just saw this and laughed hard.

Pariel on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    $1300 for just a tower (without a HDD) is quite a lot. Going with a cheaper motherboard and case, and a 7870 would probably allow an SSD to fit in the budget.
    Shogun asked me if I wanted to disable Aero, as did Cliffs of Dover. I just told them not to and moved on, maybe I'll go back and take a look at it while it's running though.

listen buddy I don't give a damn what you do with your Aero. In other news a mate of mine purchased a 590 GTX and is not pleased with the performance.

Just saw this and laughed hard.

when I first read what you wrote I had this scrunched up face like, "i did what with what now?" until i realized you were talking about Shogun 2. I get that same message occasionally when I close BF3 and some other games. Only happens when I close them though.

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    All the benchmarks are in for the 7870, and I'm really debating if the ~$489 price point is worth a 7950, or I can save some cash and grab a 7870 in a few weeks. I feel like going forward having 3GB is going to be more beneficial than 2GB (My 5870 has 1GB now). I just don't want to outlay $350 (less $150 for selling my 5870) If the extra $130 will make a big difference. I mean the reason I want to upgrade is I want to see a sizeable difference. Will I accomplish this going to a 7870/7950 from 5870? I have a 24'' Samsung LED and currently have screen stutter/tearing during some cutscenes.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    AF-IX wrote: »
    Prime wrote: »
    Right, time to start making some decisions, my current component list:

- Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache OEM Processor
    - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2 Socket 775, 1156, 1155, 1366, AM2, AM3 Heatpipe CPU Cooler
    - Asus SABERTOOTH P67 R3 P67 Socket 1155 8 Channel HD Audio ATX Motherboard
    - Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz CL9 1.5V Non-ECC Unbuffered
    - CM Storm Enforcer Case
    - Coolermaster 650W GX PSU

- EVGA GTX 580 SuperClocked 1536MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI PCI-E Graphics Card
    OR
    - Gigabyte GTX 570 OC Windforce3X 1280MB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card

Comes in at £870 with the GTX580 or £770 with the GTX570. Would the 650W be suitable while doing the basic i5 OC brought up on the last page?

edit: please ignore the lack of HDD, dont require one.

I have the GTX580 Superlocked...love it.
    Runs BF3 @ 1080P on Ultra settings.

I wanted to wait until Kepler came out and they dropped the price on the 580, but by then...I would have missed out on many mans being shot & shenanigans.
    Once Kepler does come out and prices dropped, will probably pick up another 580 for SLI.

My 570 runs BF3 @1200p on Ultra as well, and if the Gigabyte card is this one its overclocked more than mine is so it should get even better performance.

I'll probably grab another 570 when Kepler comes out because why buy one when you can buy two for twice the price?

can anybody vouche for the siberia v2? also, does the ax720 only work in analog stereo on PC? 0.o

Am I going to gain much between an Athlon II X3 445 3.1 GHz and a Phenom II X4 830 2.8GHz?

I will primarily be playing the Indie bundle games and other similar products.

steam_sig.png
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Questions

1 - The surround sound is excellent and does a great job of simulating a real 5.1 setup.
    1.1 - You can use the Mixamp with any pair of headphones, wireless or wired, but stick to a stereo headset because those surround sound headsets that claim to have multiple speakers are pretty much crap.
    2 - There are no eq adjustments or presets
    3 - The USBwould only be usable with the PC because the PS3 does not output audio over USB, but it does over optical which you'd want to be using anyways because it will be outputting a Dolby Digital signal. If your computer has an optical digital or coaxial digital output you'll want to be using that over USB because your computer will/should output a stereo Dolby Digital signal through them.

If you want to get the best sound from a Mixamp and a PC you'll need to buy a dedicated soundcard that can output Dolby Digital Live, but for now you'll be fine with whatever you have.

There are some other options out there, but if you want something that you can use with both your PS3 and PC the Mixamp is the best option. Primarily because you can use whatever headphones you want with it and being able to use it with multiple devices hooked up at the same time. If you need a mic to use this one is excellent http://www.amazon.com/Zalman-Zm-Mic1-Sensitivity-Headphone-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    R0land1188 wrote: »
    Am I going to gain much between an Athlon II X3 445 3.1 GHz and a Phenom II X4 830 2.8GHz?

I would be amazed if you got any difference at all, much less observable difference.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    R0land1188 wrote: »

I would be amazed if you got any difference at all, much less observable difference.

Thanks, that saves me some money. Now if my tax refund would finally show up...

steam_sig.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Now posting from my new rig... seems like everything went ok.

Handling the motherboard always puts me on pins and needles. fuckers bend for nothing

Two attempts installing Catalyst drivers

Attempt #1: BSOD
    Attempt #2: "Installed" but failed to activate GPU driver

worked briefly with Windows Update driver, but currently running without a driver

What card do you have?

m6eoUgQ.jpg

I got it going

Something fritzed while I was doing Windows Update, and it basically screwed everything

so I had to format and re-install Windows... this time it installed fine

edited March 2012
    Well at least it's working now!

I on the other hand am trapped in the hell of long distance tech support right now, for a not very computer capable person no less

edit: oh thank god it's resolved. So I sold my old sandybridge rig right when tor came out to a buddy who's old machine couldn't run it. And tonight this happened.

Friend: don't mean to bother you if you are in game, but I was trying to tab out to answer your "i am terrible" comment (causeorigin wouldn't let me tyep while in game?) and doign so caused my computer to crash. like power off crash. Now it won't turn back on. Won't even try, like zero power. I am on my old comuputer now
    Friend: any thoughts?

followed by me frantically trying to figure out what the fuck even was up and worrying about having to replace parts and trying to walk someone on the other side of the state through some basic troubleshooting and diagnostics to find out what the problem is until

Friend: i
    Friend: figrued it out
    Friend: i am so retard
    Me: what
    Friend: so there are 2 buttons on the frotn of this computer
    Me: oh
    Me: my god
    Me: were you
    Me: hitting the reset
    Friend: turns out i only tried the ...
    Me: instead of the power
    Friend: SHUT UP

I've never been so happy to learn someone made a boneheaded mistake.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Iceshot22Iceshot22 Terre Haute, InRegistered User regular
    So I finished my computer last week and its been everything and more that I had hoped for. I just wanted to take a second and thank everyone in this thread who helped me (and others) getting as far as I did with hardly any prior PC knowledge. A special thanks to TheCanMan, I used his build specifically and its amazing! :mrgreen:

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend code-2578-3543-8236 | Xbox GT- IceShot22
    edited March 2012
    Right, i've ordered all of the bits in my post above except the GPU which im still figuring out, but I got something to throw in there for now.

So with the following in mind

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2
    Asus SABERTOOTH P67 R3 P67 Socket 1155

How do I go about doing this simple BIOS OC that was recommended to me and if its variable how far can I safely push it?

Prime on
    edited March 2012
    My apartment has horrible lighting for photos, so I only took one interior shot.

http://pic.twitter.com/VsJxJ36c

My cable management fu is not strong

Thoughts based on this picture:

The heatsink is massive, and while it didn't obscure the power feed to the motherboard, it nudged right up against it, causing the wiring from the PSU to rest gently against the heatsink and graze one of the endings of a heat pipe, so I took a piece of foam and wedged it inbetween to prevent the heat pipe from causing damage to the cabling. It was such a tight fit that I'm not even confident the power cable is firmly snapped into place, but it does run and the power numbers looked good.

Wished the motherboard was red... ASRock boards are not flashy (except for the Fatality line)... which would have looked great against the gun metal black of everything else.

Blown away at how big the XFX Double D is... I was stunned.

Corsair Carbine 400 is a great case. Easiest motherboard fit I've ever done. Just dropped right into the screws in perfect alignment, tons of room to spare on all sides. The white LED fans on the front are great. My only complains is the HDD caddies are maybe TOO flimsy, and they allow the HDD to produce a lot of noise. I actually thought that my neighbor was playing a shooter or something, as the HDD access produces a lot of ambient noise... not sure if that's on the drive, the caddy, or on the fans being too damn quiet.

Out of the box, the rear fan that came on the case was producing a lot of noise like it was off its bearing, but a few hard taps in the right place set it right.

Runs Tribes Ascend on Ultra, 1650x1080, 4xAA without any perceived hitch. Never had a computer this fast since my AMD K6-2 and Voodoo3 3000 setup :P

Jasconius on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Right, i've ordered all of the bits in my post above except the GPU which im still figuring out, but I got something to throw in there for now.

How do I go about doing this simple BIOS OC that was recommended to me and if its variable how far can I safely push it?

With an ASUS board when you boot to the bios, you should be in EZ-mode (literally called this) you could just put it to Turbo (the flaming clock thing). I believe this will go up to 3.8/3.9 I forget exactly, but this is a safe push. If you want the more technical way of doing it you have to go to advanced settings and change the multiplier. I'd run it with the Turbo mode for a bit and see if you're satisfied, do some research and really read about voltages and OCing, as it is an enthusiast hobby. If everything runs satisfactory, it's something you will want to pursue in the future it's best to be informed rather than taking directions on how to 'just do it'. It's your PC so the decision is always yours, just don't want you to do anything you're not comfortable with. This is a good write-up but again, don't blindly input these voltages or settings since this could lead to more harm than good.

remote_image20101121-24357-t10co3-0.jpg

cardboard delusions on
    @cormack. thanks. mulling things over for the time being...still... will either get siberia v2 usb now and use those if I decide to get a Mixamp down the road. Orrrrrr might just get a Mixamp but I have reservations about running it through my studio headphones.

Iceshot22 wrote: »
    So I finished my computer last week and its been everything and more that I had hoped for. I just wanted to take a second and thank everyone in this thread who helped me (and others) getting as far as I did with hardly any prior PC knowledge. A special thanks to TheCanMan, I used his build specifically and its amazing! :mrgreen:

Awesome. Congrats!

ps
    Pics or it didn't happen!

With an ASUS board when you boot to the bios, you should be in EZ-mode (literally called this) you could just put it to Turbo (the flaming clock thing). I believe this will go up to 3.8/3.9 I forget exactly, but this is a safe push. If you want the more technical way of doing it you have to go to advanced settings and change the multiplier. I'd run it with the Turbo mode for a bit and see if you're satisfied, do some research and really read about voltages and OCing, as it is an enthusiast hobby. If everything runs satisfactory, it's something you will want to pursue in the future it's best to be informed rather than taking directions on how to 'just do it'. It's your PC so the decision is always yours, just don't want you to do anything you're not comfortable with. This is a good write-up but again, don't blindly input these voltages or settings since this could lead to more harm than good.

remote_image20101121-24357-t10co3-0.jpg

EZ mode sounds good to me for now, if I get the urge I'll look into it more. Thanks.

edited March 2012
    Jasconius wrote: »
    My apartment has horrible lighting for photos, so I only took one interior shot.

http://pic.twitter.com/VsJxJ36c

My cable management fu is not strong

Why are you only running like 2 or 3 wires behind the tray? I understand that you may not be able to run the CPU power cable behind because of length issues (which is fairly common). But is there any reason you didn't route, say, the GPU power cable into the hole right next to the PSU and then back out the hole right next to the GPU? You could route pretty much every PSU wire into that hole right next to the PSU and then pop them back out the appropriate hole next to where they are getting plugged in.

TheCanMan on
    primarily, TheCanMan, because I am lazy and nobody will ever see these cables as there is no real case window

but I do understand your meaning

I may go and clean things up when I throw in a couple more drives

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    primarily, TheCanMan, because I am lazy and nobody will ever see these cables as there is no real case window

but I do understand your meaning

I may go and clean things up when I throw in a couple more drives

Regardless of anyone seeing it, your rig will run cooler because of less clutter obstructing air flow. And you'll thank yourself of you ever need to upgrade anything.

@cormack. thanks. mulling things over for the time being...still... will either get siberia v2 usb now and use those if I decide to get a Mixamp down the road. Orrrrrr might just get a Mixamp but I have reservations about running it through my studio headphones.

Just so you know, you can't use a USB headset with a Mixamp. You'll need a regular analog stereo set with two 3.5mm jacks.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    One last thing. Would that 975 black be good enough for making lets plays? Fraps does take some performance out, I could use an alternative, but would a six core like the 1090t ($170) be better?

Just so you know, you can't use a USB headset with a Mixamp. You'll need a regular analog stereo set with two 3.5mm jacks.

thats why im eyeing the siberia - is same as v2 but with usb "soundcard" to simulate 7.1. shoot if they're good enough I might just grab their ps3 adaptor and call it a day ^o^

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    All the benchmarks are in for the 7870, and I'm really debating if the ~$489 price point is worth a 7950, or I can save some cash and grab a 7870 in a few weeks. I feel like going forward having 3GB is going to be more beneficial than 2GB (My 5870 has 1GB now). I just don't want to outlay $350 (less $150 for selling my 5870) If the extra $130 will make a big difference. I mean the reason I want to upgrade is I want to see a sizeable difference. Will I accomplish this going to a 7870/7950 from 5870? I have a 24'' Samsung LED and currently have screen stutter/tearing during some cutscenes.

I'd wait for Kepler to come out, which will drive the 7870 series sub-400 real quick. $489 is "must have it, RIGHT NOW" pricing on what's supposed to be a mid-level card.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    ideas on when 6950 prices will come down a bit? also - 6950 sapphire 2gb (to flash to 6970) vs nVidia counterparts? thoughts? Mainly looking at bf3+future frostbite stuff and The Witcher 2 (1080p rez)

I'm not sure if we'll see any more significant price drops on 6950s at retail. I believe they're eol'd already, with the 7850 occupying their price/performance niche. second hand is another story, especially with kepler around the corner.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
    GnomeTank wrote:

I'd wait for Kepler to come out, which will drive the 7870 series sub-400 real quick. $489 is "must have it, RIGHT NOW" pricing on what's supposed to be a mid-level card.

Thanks for being the voice of reason here.

• ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Just to be clear, the 7870 MSRP is $350. I haven't actually seen it for sale yet, but I assume it won't be above that price. I would think that Kepler would push it down to the high $200s though.

Eh, the 7870 hawk and whatever ASUS and Sapphire have for their high end custom PCB cards will probably be close to the 400 mark, the ref PCB cards should fall around the 350 range though.

What kepler does or doesn't do to those prices really depends on how nvidia prices their SKUs. I'd be surprised if whichever 600gtx card is stacked against the 7870 in performance doesn't come out close to the same price though. AMD might drop prices a bit since they're already sitting pretty with months of lead time this gen, but unless kepler really blows them out of the water on performance it probably won't be a huge price drop.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
This discussion has been closed.