As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Computer Build Thread] - Did you remember to plug in the CPU power cable?

• cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Pariel wrote:
    Just to be clear, the 7870 MSRP is $350. I haven't actually seen it for sale yet, but I assume it won't be above that price. I would think that Kepler would push it down to the high $200s though.

Right, the 7950 is $489, I feel like that's the best bet if it can come down $50

• bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    kepler is nVidia's post 5xx series offering?

• Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    Correct. New architecture, 28nm process. Supposedly releasing into the wild soon.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    700 series nomenclature, to 'catch up' to the AMD cards. Yeah, I know. Stupid.

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Oh no, now my 5xx is really old!

Time to chuck it in the garbage, it's clearly far to ancient to do any good now

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    700 series nomenclature, to 'catch up' to the AMD cards. Yeah, I know. Stupid.

YOUR STUPID

Also other than that one little leaked image with Kepler a few random bars above 5xx (to be fair though it was a lot of bars) have they officially release anything?

I was thinking to myself that I would soon need a new vidja card, but this voice in my head is all "you should wait for Kepler" and I'm having a sneaking suspicion that it belongs to an NVIDIA marketing guy.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    Well, when Kepler drops the current crop of Nvidia cards should get cheaper since theyll be "outdated", so theres always that.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

I have a 4xx sonny boy

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    windows update and drivers all complete on the new rig

it is blazing

i don't have a lot of modern games, but so far I can't find anything that can choke it down

Runs Civ 5 with maximum graphics and AI without a hitch, TF2 on maximum, Tribes on maximum.

Wondering if I should bother overclocking it

Jasconius on

I have a 4xx sonny boy

Does it produce color graphics?

I have a 4xx sonny boy

Does it produce color graphics?

I think it has to paint them by hand

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    GeForce 2 MX 200, 64MB!

• GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    what's a MB?

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Mothra Byte, I'm pretty sure.

(it comes just before the Godzilla Byte)

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    edited March 2012
    So I hooked up my second monitor because fuck it I guess (okay theres a more shameful reason....I didnt want to alt tab back and forth between SWTOR and youtube videos documenting the location of datacrons).

Im both really ashamed of myself and super pleased at how awesome this is.

Is it possible to make the start bar show up on my second monitor, while keeping my large monitor as the primary monitor?

It would also be nice if I could have the snap-split things on the second window (if Im trying to put two things on the second window and want them to take up half the screen, I cant use the aero snap thing to get it to happen, I can only snap to the right side of the second screen).

emp123 on
  • ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Yeah, it treats the inside edges of multiple monitors as not-edges.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    You can move your start bar easy enough...but I am curious why you think two monitors is shameful? I think it's pretty much the only real way to use a computer these days. I could never go back to one monitor, at work or home.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    i think i needed a program to have a second start bar and as for snapping you can't drag it to the area in between but you can win+arrow them to the middle two quarters

GnomeTank wrote: »
    You can move your start bar easy enough...but I am curious why you think two monitors is shameful? I think it's pretty much the only real way to use a computer these days. I could never go back to one monitor, at work or home.

I dont think its shameful in most situations, I just think its shameful in my situation. Im not running two monitors to be productive, Im running two monitors so I can be lazier.
    i think i needed a program to have a second start bar and as for snapping you can't drag it to the area in between but you can win+arrow them to the middle two quarters

Nice, this totally works; now I can browse the forums, change my music/look at Vent and run instances/raid all at the same time.

I also came up with a solution to the idle issue Nvidia card have when running multiple displays with different resolutions: I just change Multiple displays to: Show desktop only on 1.

Man, I should have done this sooner.

• MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »

I dont think its shameful in most situations, I just think its shameful in my situation. Im not running two monitors to be productive, Im running two monitors so I can be lazier.

Having more than one monitor reminded me of work too much. I'd just keep an ssh window and e-mail in the second one up when I was at home.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
    At home, I run two monitors to be lazy. At work I run two to be productive. Best of both worlds.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    edited March 2012
    thoughts on troubleshooting why my front panel USB works but my mic-in and headphone out do not? problem since fresh windows install (7-64-bit) latest drivers, worked fine before =/

bobsbarricades on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Sure it's the ports and not the headset?

Didn't accidentally disconnect the audio port wires somehow?

Try kicking it? :)

Yeah, Im over the shame, now I just think this is fucking awesome. I should have done this sooner, the monitor Im using was just sitting on top of my HTPC completely unused.

Xeddicus wrote: »
    Sure it's the ports and not the headset?

Didn't accidentally disconnect the audio port wires somehow?

Try kicking it? :)

lol *whackwhack*- yea it's the ports; they don't even register when I plug something in (the realtek manager)

I can't imagine them getting unplugged but good point I'll check mobo connections. It's superglued on their so...that also might be part of the problem =/

Yeah, Im over the shame, now I just think this is fucking awesome. I should have done this sooner, the monitor Im using was just sitting on top of my HTPC completely unused.

Welcome to the future

you'll never go back to just one display now

m6eoUgQ.jpg

Welcome to the future

you'll never go back to just one display now

I know in my heart that thats true, and its going to be terrible for my neck since the only way to really fit it on my desk was to put it at an odd angle.

I guess I need to buy a new desk. Actually, Im really tempted to build a desk but I have zero woodworking experience and Im sure it would end up terrible. Really though, how hard could it be? brb, sawing shit.

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    So just looking at it from a numbers standpoint, a 7870 would be a decent card to CrossFire with my 6970. What with the 6970's costing the same amount, but being slightly worse, and becoming scarce as well.

That sound right?

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Wulf wrote: »
    So just looking at it from a numbers standpoint, a 7870 would be a decent card to CrossFire with my 6970. What with the 6970's costing the same amount, but being slightly worse, and becoming scarce as well.

That sound right?

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm almost positive that you can't crossfire a 7870 with a 6970. AMD hasn't refreshed their compatibility chart yet, but before the 7000's were released the only cards that didn't require the first two digits to be identical were the 57xx/67xx cards (since the 67xx's were just basically re-badged 57xx's).

And since the 7000's aren't re-badged versions of older cards, I'd be surprised if they didn't follow the same "first two digits" rule.

• KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    Kadoken wrote: »
    One last thing. Would that 975 black be good enough for making lets plays? Fraps does take some performance out, I could use an alternative, but would a six core like the 1090t ($170) be better?

Reposting

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    @emp123 Storm Shadow built himself a pretty sick desk and gives some pointers on how to find parts over here. I'd really like to build my own as I can never find one that is just right, and would like my workspace to stop being essentially a bunch of pieces from Ikea cobbled together.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Building a desk is very easy. Obviously, you'll want a few basic tools. A power drill at minimum, and a circular saw wouldn't hurt, although you can get by with a handsaw if you buy a pre-cut tabletop, or by getting Home Depot to cut it before you leave the store. Alternately, a large, old door works well.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    emp123 wrote:

I also came up with a solution to the idle issue Nvidia card have when running multiple displays with different resolutions: I just change Multiple displays to: Show desktop only on 1.

Man, I should have done this sooner.

wait... is there an issue with nvidia cards and multiple displays at different resolutions? because that's what I'm running and I've never personally noticed a problem.

@initiatefailure: Supposedly with Nvidia cards when you do that, the 3D part of the card never goes "idle" like it would in normal desktop situations, because it's used to process the second framebuffer...thus your cad is running full tilt all the time. More power draw, more fan noise.

i will have to look into that when I get my computer running again

It may be driver specific as well, not sure. I am AMD, so I have no such issue :P

• WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    Wulf wrote: »

That sound right?

I'm not 100% positive, but I'm almost positive that you can't crossfire a 7870 with a 6970. AMD hasn't refreshed their compatibility chart yet, but before the 7000's were released the only cards that didn't require the first two digits to be identical were the 57xx/67xx cards (since the 67xx's were just basically re-badged 57xx's).

And since the 7000's aren't re-badged versions of older cards, I'd be surprised if they didn't follow the same "first two digits" rule.

Balls, looks like I'll have to wait and see if I can get a nice deal on two 7's then :/

Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Why not just get another 6970 since they will be trying to clear inventory

edited March 2012
    Im not sure if its driver specific, but if it is that would be awesome because then they could fix it.

Anyway, it basically boils down to this:
    Single monitor idle temp: 30-35c
    Dual monitor idle temp: 50c
    Load temp: 60c

I know temps are going to be higher because its outputting way more pixels, but I dont think a 15-20c increase is normal.

@Djeet: Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to read through that before I start doing anything stupid.

I'll also post pictures of any monstrosities I create.

emp123 on
This discussion has been closed.