Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[PS Vita] 2.0: PS1 support is a go (unless you live in North America and don't own a PS3)

Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Games and Technology
PlayStation Vita

vita.png


Content Managers

Vita Content Manager (PC)
Vita Content Manager (Mac)


Recommended Vita Games
  • Army Corps of Hell (Square Enix)
  • BlazBlue Continuum Shift Extend (Arc System Works)
  • Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (Nippon Ichi Software)
  • Dynasty Warriors Next (Omega Force)
  • Fifa 2012 (EA Sports)
  • Gravity Rush (SCE Japan)
  • Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Clap Hanz)
  • Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Q? Entertainment)
  • Metal Gear Solid: HD Collection (Armature/Kojima Productions)
  • Motorstorm: RC (Evolution Studios) Cross-Buy
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Team Ninja)
  • Plants vs. Zombies (PopCap Games)
  • Rayman: Origins (Ubisoft)
  • Sound Shapes (Queazy Games) Cross-Buy
  • Super Stardust Delta (Housemarque)
  • Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack (Drinkbox Studios)
  • Touch My Katamari (Namco Bandai)
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Capcom)
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Sony Bend)
  • wipEout 2048 (Sony Liverpool)

Cross-Buy: Denotes games where buying the PS3 or Vita version will come with the other version for free.


Recommended PSP Games

Note: Incompatible games are listed. Check the list in the second post to make sure games are compatible before buying.
Spoiler:


Upcoming Vita Titles
  • Soon - Retro City Rampage (VBlank) Cross-Buy
  • 25 September - LittleBigPlanet Vita (Double Eleven/Tarsier)
  • 2 October - Street Fighter X Tekken (Dimps/Capcom)
  • 16 October - Jet Set Radio HD (Sega)
  • 23 October - Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward (Chunsoft)
  • 26 October - Super Monkey Ball: Banana Splitz (Sega)
  • 30 October - Assassin's Creed III: Liberation (Ubisoft Sofia)
  • 30 October - Need for Speed: Most Wanted (Criterion)
  • 13 November - Call of Duty: Black Ops – Declassified (Nihilistic)
  • 20 November - PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale (Superbot/BluePoint) Cross-Buy
  • TBA 2012 - Little King’s Story (Marvelous)
  • TBA 2012 - Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (Just Add Water/Oddworld Inhabitants)
  • TBA 2012 - Orgarhythm (Acquire)
  • TBA 2012 - Persona 4 Golden (Atlus)
  • TBA 2012 - Ragnarok Odyssey (Gamearts)
  • TBA 2012 - Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault (Insomniac Games) Cross-Buy
  • TBA 2012 - Silent Hill: Book of Memories (WayForward)
  • February 2013 - Sly: Thieves in Time (Sanzaru Games) Cross-Buy


Upcoming PSP Titles
  • TBA - Black Rock Shooter
  • TBA - Class of Heroes 2
  • TBA - Final Fantasy III
  • TBA - Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
  • TBA - Ragnarok Tactics

Unco-ordinated on
Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
«134567101

Posts

  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Frequently Asked Questions

    Do I need a memory card?
    Most likely, yes. Even if you avoid the PSN entirely, there are still some retail games that will require a memory card to save progress.

    Are all PSP games on the PSN backwards compatible?
    No, currently there are a number of PSP games you can only download through a PS3 and others that don't work at all. The games known to not work are listed below and it's import to point out that compatibility varies depending on the region. Some games may work in one region but not in another for instance. For a more fleshed out list, see here.

    Incompatible list:
    Spoiler:

    Are all PS1 games on the PSN backwards compatible?
    Similar to PSP games, no. Currently, the PAL PSN has 129 compatible PS1 games, while the NA PSN is more varied as they have chosen to slowly roll out a number of games on the Vita PSN each week. However, there are other games that can be downloaded to a PS3 and then transferred over to the Vita. For a fleshed out list, see here.

    How do I switch accounts?
    This video explains how to switch them. One thing to note though, is that you don't actually need to take your memory card out of the Vita when you do this. If you leave it in there, it will ask if you want to format the memory card as well and you can select not to.

    How do I get into the in-game options in PS1/PSP games?
    Simply press down on the screen while in game and the menu will show up, letting you play with a few settings. The in-game menu lets you remap some controls, add a bilinear filter to help eliminate aliasing, increase disc speed (to decrease load times) in PS1 games and more.

    What do I do if my Vita has frozen?
    Here's a handy little guide to help you out.

    What's "Cross-Buy"?
    It's what Sony has labelled their 'buy one, get the other free' PS3/Vita game promotion. It works just as intended, though so far only for PSN games. You buy the game and get both the PS3 and Vita versions of it.

    Similar to this, there are also some games that have Cross-Buy DLC.

    What Cross-Buy games are there then?
    Here's the list:
    Spoiler:

    Games with Cross-Buy (or similar) DLC are:
    Spoiler:


    How do I play local/ad-hoc multiplayer PSP games online?
    This will require a PS3. On the PS Store there's an app called Ad-hoc Party, which will let you connect to it and play with others that are using Ad-hoc Party. One problem with this app though, is that they're region locked. So people using the US version of the app can only play with others that are using the US version. Luckily it isn't region locked, so European users can create a US account, download it, log back into their normal account and use it to play with people in the US. So to reduce confusion, I suggest everyone here use the US version, as most of us seem to be based there.

    Where are my Vita saves stored?
    You know the little bubbles on the main screen? Yeah, DO NOT DELETE THEM! While some retail games save your progress straight to the game card, there are a number (including Uncharted GA) that don't. They, alongside downloadable games, save to the memory card and are represented by the bubbles. So deleting them, will actually delete your save as well. If you're running out of space, back the game up onto your PC/PS3/Mac and then delete it. Patches and installs will be backed up as well, so you when you put them back on your Vita, you won't need to download/install them all over again.


    Vita PSN Friends List

    Format:
    [Forum Name] / [PSN ID] / [Time Zone]
    _Debaser_ / FancyLad / GMT-5 (EST)
    AngelHedgie / NoxAeternum / GMT-7 (MST)
    Aoeui / Disremember / GMT-8 (PST)
    Aoi / Kirin70 / GMT-5 (EST)
    b1rdman / b1rdman385 / GMT-5 (EST)
    BebopSamurai / suzukaGongen / GMT-6 (CST)
    chocobolicious / rawyn / GMT -5 (EST)
    Chorazin / Chorazin / GMT-5 (EST)
    chrpnk / charpunk / GMT-5 (EST)
    cokebotle / cokebotle129 / GMT+10
    corin7 / corinseven / GMT-8 (PST)
    CorriganX / CorriganX / GMT-5 (EST)
    cybrid81 / cybrid81 / GMT-6 (CST)
    cyko / cyko149 / GMT-5 (EST)
    Darth_Mogs / Darth_Mogs / GMT-5 (EST)
    Dourin / SuperJumpMan / GMT-6 (CST)
    Draysoth / Draysoth / GMT-5 (EST)
    Niceguyeddie616 / Niceguyeddie616 / GMT-5 (EST)
    Elderlycrawfish / Elderlycrawfish / GMT-10
    Etch / EtchCetera / GMT-5 (EST)
    Frei / Chace8625 / GMT-6 (CST)
    GMaster7 / SKI2000G / GMT-5 (EST)
    greeble / greeble / GMT-5 (EST)
    Grove / ObstinateGrove / GMT-8 (PST)
    Inksplat / SAW776 / GMT-5 (EST)
    Interpreter / Interpreter / GMT-7 (MST)
    Kafka87 / Kafkanhound / GMT
    kaseius / kaseius / GMT-8 (PST)
    Kirbith / Kirbith / GMT-5 (EST)
    Kyougu / Brownchiclets / GMT-6 (CST)
    LockedOnTarget / LockedOnTarget / GMT-6 (CST)
    lpburk2 / lpburk2 / GMT-5 (EST)
    LutExIV / LutExIV / GMT-7 (MST)
    Maddoc / Masked_Unit / GMT -5 (EST)
    Manetherenwolf / Manetherenwolf / GMT-6 (CST)
    minor incident / inter-punct / GMT-5 (EST)
    Miso Ronery / MentallyUnsownd / GMT-5 (EST)
    MonkeyConQueso / Aubvry / GMT-8 (PST)
    Mostlyjoe / Mostlyjoe / GMT-5 (EST)
    NailbunnyPD / NailbunnyPD / GMT-5 (EST)
    nathanael / Radthanael / GMT-8 (PST)
    nefyave / Nefyave / GMT+1 (CET)
    Nitsua / Darkhawk16 / GMT-5 (EST)
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN / MadRoll / GMT-5 (EST)
    Professor Snugglesworth / SOLDIER / GMT-5 (EST)
    Rizzi / Binglesthecat / GMT+10
    Sea of Thorns / LetzteUrteil / GMT-7 (MST)
    shrouded / ryleh / GMT-6 (CST)
    Sinistar / redcomet0087 / GMT-6 (CST)
    Skelly B / toddpine / GMT-6 (CST)
    The_Spaniard / Span_Wolf / GMT-8 (PST)
    Trinzler / Trinzler_ / GMT-7 (MST)
    ultimakay / ultimak / GMT-5 (EST)
    Umbry / Edond / GMT-5 (EST)
    Unco-ordinated / LiquidSolid / GMT+12
    vagrant_winds / vagrant_winds / GMT-5 (EST)
    vamenn / dachish / GMT-6 (CST)
    videobobbo / videobobboXE / GMT-8 (PST)
    Wraithverge / Wraithverge / GMT-5 (EST)
    Wulf / Dhaval / GMT-5 (EST)
    Yalborap / Yalborap / GMT-8 (PST)
    Zerym / zerym / GMT-5 (EST)

    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    To kick off this new thread, a couple questions:

    1) When can we expect PSOne support to be patched in via a firmware update?

    2) What are the chances that Sony pushes a catalogue-wide price cut on PSP titles in the next 3-6 months? I've always wanted to try the Persona series but I'm sure as hell not paying 40 bucks per game.

    Lucascraft on
    BN_Sig3.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    To kick off this new thread, a couple questions:

    1) When can we expect PSOne support to be patched in via a firmware update?

    2) What are the chances that Sony pushes a catalogue-wide price cut on PSP titles in the next 3-6 months? I've always wanted to try the Persona series but I'm sure as hell not paying 40 bucks per game.

    1) I would be surprised if they don't

    2) Highly unlikely, though Atlus puts their catalogue on sale a few times a year

    camo_sig2-400.png
    icon-18x18_zps3f731cae.png Basilius | TF2 Backpack | Hero Academy - Laitarne | PSN - Masked_Unit
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I picked one up earlier today, along with Uncharted, Rayman, Ultimate MvC, and Super Stardust Delta. It's pretty neat - I was suprised by how big it is. It's bigger than the original gameboy turned on its size, and certainly looks bigger than my PSP-1000. I have large hands, and after coming from the frustratingly small 3DS, the PSV is refreshing. The thumbstick placement is pretty much perfect, this is among the best thumbstick placement on any console or handheld I've ever felt. It makes me want to pick up more shooters for the thing just to use them more. The d-pad and buttons, however, feel awful - they're just like the 3DS, where they feel more like cell phone buttons than real controller buttons. But, given the dual thumbsticks, it's obvious the sorts of games the Vita will be suited for aren't going to be relying on these buttons very much, so it's not a huge deal.

    However, what is completely baffling is the number of PSP Downloadable titles that I can't play on my vita. This is extremely annoying, to the point where I feel like I've been duped - all the screenshots I've seen advertising PSP Backwards compatibility have been using Peace Walker as the example game. I have Peace Walker for the PSP as a downloadable, and I have Peace Walker as part of the PS3 HD compilation, but I was still looking forward to a run through the game on the via, if only because you can map the face buttons to the right stick. However, when I browse the PSN Store, metal gear solid peace walker isn't even listed, and under my purchase history, it claims that it can't be downloaded onto the vita. Someone mentioned to me that this might be because the HD Compilation is coming to the vita as well, and if that's the case then I'm pissed. I bought the game two fucking times already, and bullshit if I'm gonna buy it a third.

    Overall, I feel sorta like I felt after I bought my 3DS - longing for something to play that keeps me glued to the screen. The selection isn't nearly as bad as it was with the 3DS, and physically playing the unit isn't a chore like the 3DS was, but considering I've had my fill of uncharted on the PS3, I have UMvC3 on my Xbox 360, and I have Rayman Origins on my PS3, only Super Stardust has been keeping me occupied (And I have that game on my PS3 and PSP as well), I certainly feel a sense of "been there, done that." I want something new, unique and exciting, and it's in that sense that I'm let down. The vita has potential - it looks and feels sorta like a cross between a very small tablet and a traditional game console, but there's just nothing that makes me drool yet. A good action game would do wonders to reverse this feeling for me - I would LOVE a demon's soul game, for example. Similar to how the novelty of the 3D screen wore off incredibly quick on the 3DS, the "PS3-level graphics" didn't wow me like I expected them to. The graphics are great, don't get me wrong, but I guess I expected the smaller screen to make them really pop and shine and look something extra special. I guess booting up Uncharted and seeing jaggies immediately sort of killed any hype I had for the graphics right out of the box.

    A minor high note for the system is how incredible the web browser is. I have an android phone (epic 4g) along with an android tablet (Galaxy Tab 10.1) so the Vita's webbrowser isn't quite as revolutionary and awe inspiring as it would be had this been my first exposure to mobile browsing, but the large screen of the vita lets it fall somewhere between browsing the web on my phone, and browsing the web on my tablet. The browser itself is fantastic - quick, easy to use, and full featured. I can, at the bare minimum, see myself actually using this browser for time to time out of convenience. By contrast, I consider the web browser on the 3DS completely worthless due to the tiny screen and awful touchscreen keyboard. Bot the 3DS and PSV browsers demolish the old PS3 and PSP browsers, though, to the point where those things feel like pre-smart phone cellphone browsers.

    Perhaps I've simply outgrown handheld gaming. I don't dislike my Vita, and I suspect, in the long run, I'll enjoy it far more than my 3DS (just as I enjoyed my PSP more than my DS) but I'm left, I dunno, wanting more? Had this the option of connecting to a TV, like my PSP Go can, then I think I might be far, far more pumped up about this than I am, but for right now I'm simply apathetic. Unless you absolutely have to have every piece of hardware out there as it's released, as I do, then you can hold on off buying a vita until better games come out, IMO.

    Oh, also, $25 for 4 gb of memory is a goddamn ripoff. Especially since it's required. And I miss XMB quite a bit.

    TheSonicRetard on
  • Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Thanks Gort! The Dream RealmRegistered User regular
    I'm waiting for a Atlus sale seriously. I want to nab up as many of the Persona titles at once as I can.

    steam_sig.png
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -mostlydeadman
  • nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    -snip-

    However, what is completely baffling is the number of PSP Downloadable titles that I can't play on my vita. This is extremely annoying, to the point where I feel like I've been duped - all the screenshots I've seen advertising PSP Backwards compatibility have been using Peace Walker as the example game. I have Peace Walker for the PSP as a downloadable, and I have Peace Walker as part of the PS3 HD compilation, but I was still looking forward to a run through the game on the via, if only because you can map the face buttons to the right stick. However, when I browse the PSN Store, metal gear solid peace walker isn't even listed, and under my purchase history, it claims that it can't be downloaded onto the vita. Someone mentioned to me that this might be because the HD Compilation is coming to the vita as well, and if that's the case then I'm pissed. I bought the game two fucking times already, and bullshit if I'm gonna buy it a third.

    -snip-

    Grab the USB cord that came with your Vita. Plug that shit into your PS3. Open up Content Manager. Move MGS: Peacewalker right the heck over to your Vita, and remap the controls to your heart's content. It's a few extra steps, but it's worth it, they tell me.

    This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    nathanael wrote: »
    -snip-

    However, what is completely baffling is the number of PSP Downloadable titles that I can't play on my vita. This is extremely annoying, to the point where I feel like I've been duped - all the screenshots I've seen advertising PSP Backwards compatibility have been using Peace Walker as the example game. I have Peace Walker for the PSP as a downloadable, and I have Peace Walker as part of the PS3 HD compilation, but I was still looking forward to a run through the game on the via, if only because you can map the face buttons to the right stick. However, when I browse the PSN Store, metal gear solid peace walker isn't even listed, and under my purchase history, it claims that it can't be downloaded onto the vita. Someone mentioned to me that this might be because the HD Compilation is coming to the vita as well, and if that's the case then I'm pissed. I bought the game two fucking times already, and bullshit if I'm gonna buy it a third.

    -snip-

    Grab the USB cord that came with your Vita. Plug that shit into your PS3. Open up Content Manager. Move MGS: Peacewalker right the heck over to your Vita, and remap the controls to your heart's content. It's a few extra steps, but it's worth it, they tell me.

    I'll try this, then. Why would they require you to own a PS3 to download games you already own onto your PSV though? That's stupid. It's a good thing I have a PS3 to begin with.

    EDIT: Urg, just realized I'm going to have to download MGS:PW to my PS3 as well.

    TheSonicRetard on
  • nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    nathanael wrote: »
    -snip-

    However, what is completely baffling is the number of PSP Downloadable titles that I can't play on my vita. This is extremely annoying, to the point where I feel like I've been duped - all the screenshots I've seen advertising PSP Backwards compatibility have been using Peace Walker as the example game. I have Peace Walker for the PSP as a downloadable, and I have Peace Walker as part of the PS3 HD compilation, but I was still looking forward to a run through the game on the via, if only because you can map the face buttons to the right stick. However, when I browse the PSN Store, metal gear solid peace walker isn't even listed, and under my purchase history, it claims that it can't be downloaded onto the vita. Someone mentioned to me that this might be because the HD Compilation is coming to the vita as well, and if that's the case then I'm pissed. I bought the game two fucking times already, and bullshit if I'm gonna buy it a third.

    -snip-

    Grab the USB cord that came with your Vita. Plug that shit into your PS3. Open up Content Manager. Move MGS: Peacewalker right the heck over to your Vita, and remap the controls to your heart's content. It's a few extra steps, but it's worth it, they tell me.

    I'll try this, then. Why would they require you to own a PS3 to download games you already own onto your PSV though? That's stupid. It's a good thing I have a PS3 to begin with.

    EDIT: Urg, just realized I'm going to have to download MGS:PW to my PS3 as well.

    It's weird that it's only for certain games. Apparently it has to do with the emulator or something? Weird.

    This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
  • ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    One question. Where it says in the multiple accounts bit that you don't have to remove the memory card to swap accounts, does that mean that the account isn't actually tied to the memory card and so one card can have content from multiple accounts on it?

    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Oh, one other annoying thing about this, although it's minor - the games don't come with print manuals. I HATE that. Especially since the boxes have clips for the manuals in them! It makes them feel incomplete.

    Also, how do you check how much space is left on your memory card?

  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Only problem with running the PSP Peace Walker on the Vita, is that you can't transfar to the HD Collection's version. Otherwise it works like a charm, minus the whole download to PS3 thing.

    PSN/Steam - Elderlycrawfish
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    Wow, I'm surprised someone dislikes the buttons. I <3 tactile switch buttons, and would kill a man for a gamepad that used 'em. I mean, they're not as good as full arcade-style spring buttons, but they're a lot better than those squishy pads that somehow became the norm.

  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Oh, one other annoying thing about this, although it's minor - the games don't come with print manuals. I HATE that. Especially since the boxes have clips for the manuals in them! It makes them feel incomplete.

    Also, how do you check how much space is left on your memory card?

    Same way you check the space on your PS3 hard drive. Go to system settings and look in system information.

    iYBQTfcwSi2EW.jpg
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    So I'm looking around the internet, and I still can't find a way to manage my data. Are you seriously telling me that the only data management tool included is one that completely formats the memory card? I bought a 4 gb memory card, and despite only downloading Super Stardust, and installing Uncharted, Marvel vs Capcom, and Rayman, I'm down to 800 mb left. What the hell is eating up 3.2 gb of my memory?! SSD is only 200 mb big.

    I don't have enough room to transfer over MGS:PW. Even more annoying, a download of Dissidia from PSN has halted at about 80% done... does that mean it's stuck on the card, forever taking up space which I can't get back?

  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Hold your finger on the touch screen for a few seconds, you'll go into the UI edit mode. You can look at how much space things take up, and delete them, from there.

    iYBQTfcwSi2EW.jpg
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Space Princess w/ Grenade Launcher Registered User regular
    Unco-ordinated: You should add the steps to the OP for getting out-of-region demos and apps on your Vita's main account and the steps for switching between accounts on your vita for multi-region content/accounts on one single memory card.

    If you need me to (i.e. don't have them), I can write up the steps for both.

    // FF14: Phyress Traydor, Spoony Bard @ Sargatanas //
    // PSN: vagrant_winds // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 //
    // Steam, LoL, & WiiU: VWinds // Livestream //
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Only problem with running the PSP Peace Walker on the Vita, is that you can't transfar to the HD Collection's version. Otherwise it works like a charm, minus the whole download to PS3 thing.

    Heh, I have my PW save on my Vita right now. So if I wanted to move that progress back to the HD Collection, I would have to use content manager to send it back to my PS3, then download it to my PSP, then Transfar it back to my PS3?

    Unrelated, but I wish in addition to quick-mapping either the left stick, d-pad, or face buttons to the right stick, that I could also do a button-by-button remap of all the controls. There are a couple of PSP games that used the triggers to rotate the camera that I wouldn't mind using the right stick for. Not to mention it would be nice to use those face buttons in Peace Walker for something else, now that I don't need them for aiming.

  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Hold your finger on the touch screen for a few seconds, you'll go into the UI edit mode. You can look at how much space things take up, and delete them, from there.

    I did that. uncharted, Rayman, and MvC all take up 2 mb each. SSD takes up 200 mb. Where is the other 3.4 gb?

  • chrpnkchrpnk Registered User regular
    Anyone else thinking about picking up silent hill: book of memories? Looks like it could be a fun 4 player co-op dungeon crawler as long as it doesn't perform like dungeon hunter.

  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Space Princess w/ Grenade Launcher Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Peace Walker:

    Better method. Put a USB thumbstick into the PS3. Transfarr from the PS3 game to the thumbstick, copy file to PS3, then content manager to Vita. Reverse for the other way around.

    vagrant_winds on
    // FF14: Phyress Traydor, Spoony Bard @ Sargatanas //
    // PSN: vagrant_winds // 3DS: 4682-8868-5037 //
    // Steam, LoL, & WiiU: VWinds // Livestream //
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The games you have to transfer via ps3 are because they aren't "certified" as fully compatible. as some just currently aren't, while others weren't tested in time.

    Using the ps3 just bypasses that store front is all.

    I've found the psv to be quite nice, though in reality I've just been using it to revisit psp games. The only vita title I own is dynasty warriors. Admittedly I've played a dozen hours of that so far and generally like how it changes up the series.

    I'm truly just waiting for gravity rush as that looks like a truly captivating game.

    chocobolicious on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    nathanael wrote: »
    -snip-

    However, what is completely baffling is the number of PSP Downloadable titles that I can't play on my vita. This is extremely annoying, to the point where I feel like I've been duped - all the screenshots I've seen advertising PSP Backwards compatibility have been using Peace Walker as the example game. I have Peace Walker for the PSP as a downloadable, and I have Peace Walker as part of the PS3 HD compilation, but I was still looking forward to a run through the game on the via, if only because you can map the face buttons to the right stick. However, when I browse the PSN Store, metal gear solid peace walker isn't even listed, and under my purchase history, it claims that it can't be downloaded onto the vita. Someone mentioned to me that this might be because the HD Compilation is coming to the vita as well, and if that's the case then I'm pissed. I bought the game two fucking times already, and bullshit if I'm gonna buy it a third.

    -snip-

    Grab the USB cord that came with your Vita. Plug that shit into your PS3. Open up Content Manager. Move MGS: Peacewalker right the heck over to your Vita, and remap the controls to your heart's content. It's a few extra steps, but it's worth it, they tell me.

    I'll try this, then. Why would they require you to own a PS3 to download games you already own onto your PSV though? That's stupid. It's a good thing I have a PS3 to begin with.

    EDIT: Urg, just realized I'm going to have to download MGS:PW to my PS3 as well.
    It's almost certainly because they're still going through the library testing each game out and fixing any bugs that pop up. With the entire library of PSP games on each of the three main stores, it's pretty understandable why it's taking so long. The games that you can transfer have probably gone through an early check and work fairly well, while the games that don't work at all (and are listed in the OP) probably encounter huge problems.
    Chrysis wrote: »
    One question. Where it says in the multiple accounts bit that you don't have to remove the memory card to swap accounts, does that mean that the account isn't actually tied to the memory card and so one card can have content from multiple accounts on it?
    Yeah, that's exactly what you can do. It also doesn't matter what account you're logged into to play demos, so you can log into a Japanese account, download the Gravity Rush demo, log back into your normal account and play the demo.

    @vagrant_winds: That'd be awesome if you wrote those up. And if anyone else wants to write things up for the FAQ, feel free. Just try to keep them punctual because I'm a bit concerned about reaching the word limit as the ID list continues to expand. I probably should've posted a third time just in case but we'll see how things go.

    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの Registered User regular
    So for those PSP bundles on the PSN store, are they always there or do they periodically change? I'm asking because my gf wants that LocoRoco/Patapon set and I don't wanna miss out on it by the time I get mine.

    工事中
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Well, it was a chore, but having MGS:PW on the go with correct controls was worth it. thanks for the help.

  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I will say this about the Vita's popularity thus far - I have NEVER gotten a street pass with my 3DS. Granted, I don't take it out and about with me, but just using it in my condos shows that no one around me has one.

    I just tried out near. Freaking 27 people in my condos with a Vita. Wow!

  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Peace Walker: Better method. Put a USB thumbstick into the PS3. Transfarr from the PS3 game to the thumbstick, copy file to PS3, then content manager to Vita. Reverse for the other way around.

    Okay, I know you can copy PS3 and PSP saves from PS3 to USB. But "transfarring" actually converts Peace Walker's save file from a PSP format to a PS3 format and vice versa.

  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Oh wow, I like how when the PSP's keyboard is supposed to show up, the Vita's touchscreen keyboard is used.

  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    The selection isn't nearly as bad as it was with the 3DS, and physically playing the unit isn't a chore like the 3DS was, but considering I've had my fill of uncharted on the PS3, I have UMvC3 on my Xbox 360, and I have Rayman Origins on my PS3, only Super Stardust has been keeping me occupied (And I have that game on my PS3 and PSP as well), I certainly feel a sense of "been there, done that."

    Why did you buy Uncharted, UMvC3, and Rayman Origins then?

  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    The selection isn't nearly as bad as it was with the 3DS, and physically playing the unit isn't a chore like the 3DS was, but considering I've had my fill of uncharted on the PS3, I have UMvC3 on my Xbox 360, and I have Rayman Origins on my PS3, only Super Stardust has been keeping me occupied (And I have that game on my PS3 and PSP as well), I certainly feel a sense of "been there, done that."

    Why did you buy Uncharted, UMvC3, and Rayman Origins then?

    Because those are the best games on the system.

  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I disagree. Hot shots golf, lumines and mutant blobs are superior.

  • CorriganXCorriganX Registered User regular
    The selection isn't nearly as bad as it was with the 3DS, and physically playing the unit isn't a chore like the 3DS was, but considering I've had my fill of uncharted on the PS3, I have UMvC3 on my Xbox 360, and I have Rayman Origins on my PS3, only Super Stardust has been keeping me occupied (And I have that game on my PS3 and PSP as well), I certainly feel a sense of "been there, done that."

    Why did you buy Uncharted, UMvC3, and Rayman Origins then?

    Because those are the best games on the system.

    Uh, I'd imagine games you don't already own would be best on the system. BlazBlue is amazing btw. Definitely just as good as UMVC3.

    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else. Sidaltus Veirn on Sargatanas FFXIV
    Amnesia for Charity: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5
    System Shock 2: Part 1
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    The selection isn't nearly as bad as it was with the 3DS, and physically playing the unit isn't a chore like the 3DS was, but considering I've had my fill of uncharted on the PS3, I have UMvC3 on my Xbox 360, and I have Rayman Origins on my PS3, only Super Stardust has been keeping me occupied (And I have that game on my PS3 and PSP as well), I certainly feel a sense of "been there, done that."

    Why did you buy Uncharted, UMvC3, and Rayman Origins then?

    Because those are the best games on the system.

    Uh, I'd imagine games you don't already own would be best on the system. BlazBlue is amazing btw. Definitely just as good as UMVC3.

    I cannot stand BlazBlue in the least.

  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    The selection isn't nearly as bad as it was with the 3DS, and physically playing the unit isn't a chore like the 3DS was, but considering I've had my fill of uncharted on the PS3, I have UMvC3 on my Xbox 360, and I have Rayman Origins on my PS3, only Super Stardust has been keeping me occupied (And I have that game on my PS3 and PSP as well), I certainly feel a sense of "been there, done that."

    Why did you buy Uncharted, UMvC3, and Rayman Origins then?

    Because those are the best games on the system.

    Lumines, Mutant Blobs, BlazBlue, and Wipeout have all reviewed better than Uncharted & UMvC3.

    Just seems odd that you'd buy some games and then immediately complain that you either already owned them on another system (Rayman & UMvC3) or didn't really want to play them in the first place (Uncharted).

    Also, it's a little late for you but for anyone else who is thinking of picking up a Vita, don't buy a 4GB memory card as it's miniscule and has a horrible cost/size ratio. At the very least, pick up an 8GB card but if you're planning on doing extensive PSN shopping, you'll want a 16-32GB card.

  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    The selection isn't nearly as bad as it was with the 3DS, and physically playing the unit isn't a chore like the 3DS was, but considering I've had my fill of uncharted on the PS3, I have UMvC3 on my Xbox 360, and I have Rayman Origins on my PS3, only Super Stardust has been keeping me occupied (And I have that game on my PS3 and PSP as well), I certainly feel a sense of "been there, done that."

    Why did you buy Uncharted, UMvC3, and Rayman Origins then?

    Because those are the best games on the system.

    Lumines, Mutant Blobs, BlazBlue, and Wipeout have all reviewed better than Uncharted & UMvC3.

    Just seems odd that you'd buy some games and then immediately complain that you either already owned them on another system (Rayman & UMvC3) or didn't really want to play them in the first place (Uncharted).

    Also, it's a little late for you but for anyone else who is thinking of picking up a Vita, don't buy a 4GB memory card as it's miniscule and has a horrible cost/size ratio. At the very least, pick up an 8GB card but if you're planning on doing extensive PSN shopping, you'll want a 16-32GB card.

    Those are the only games that interest me. You seem to think I don't like the games. I'm complaining that there isn't anything else on the system that catches my interest besides games I already have on other systems. I have no problem playing these until other games come out, but I do wish they had an exclusive I really cared about.

    And I don't like BlazBlue, nor do I care about review scores. I didn't know wipeout was out, however - it wasn't at my EBGames. I'll download that later today, because I goddamn love Wipeout.

  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    You should honestly give mutant blobs a try. Its cheap but very good. Similarly, katamari is as charming as ever. The stretch mechanics are pretty cool too.

  • RizziRizzi Registered User regular
    I regret buying an 8GB card. I can't have more than two PSP games on it, and two Vita games. Might have to eat the extra $60 and get a 16GB one.

  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I regret buying an 8GB card. I can't have more than two PSP games on it, and two Vita games. Might have to eat the extra $60 and get a 16GB one.

    The 32 gb card at $100 is such a damn ripoff. I got the 4 gb card expecting it to hold me over until the price of cards fell, or a sale came up, but I don't know if I can hold it. Right now, I have to basically choose a single PSP title to put on my card at a time. I'd love to be able to fill the thing up with my PSP collection - being able to select games without changing carts rules - especially since I have some kickass games like Dissidia and God of War.

    It also kinda blows that Portable Ops isn't vita compatible. Peace Walker benefits greatly from dual stick controls, but at least you can go over to the PS3 if playing it on the vita wasn't an option. Portable Ops would probably benefit even greater, since the camera is mapped to the d-pad, and there's no fixed console version.

    And Portable Ops is a great game at that. Maybe they'll fix the compatibility issue later :-\

  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey Rizzi, I just had an idea. What if you suggested to the NIS rep you talked to that you buy SCEE download codes of their games from them? SCEE download codes work throughout all of their stores, so it'd be a clever way of getting around bullshit region restrictions.

    Oh and I'd suggest just importing a 32GB card instead of buying a 16GB one locally. SuperUFO are pretty good, though their cheapest 32's (US$85 + shipping) are apparently out of stock for a couple of weeks.

    Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    I got wipeout and this is great. I wish I had gotten the boxed version, but I'm fine with a downloadable version.

    I think people think I'm unsatisfied with my purchase - I'm not. Where, with the 3DS, I had buyers remorse pretty early on based on the shape, feel, and look of the system, coupled with the library at launch, I don't have those complaints about the Vita. I got SSF4T and... that one SRPG game (the name escapes me right now) with my 3DS, and neither held my attention. The vita feels great, I like the shape and look of the system a lot, and while I do wish the library right now offered more, the games I have do hold my attention. I keep booting up uncharted and SSD and playing them, where, with my 3DS, it sat unused until Starfox was released.

    Basically, I want more to play with, which isn't so much of a knock on the system, as it is a testament to how inviting it is. I keep thinking back to when I got my PS3 - with Uncharted, Warhawk, Unreal Tournament, and Heavenly Sword, and how I loved each game for different reasons. I felt like, picking up the PS3 like that, gave me a lot of different kind of games that I liked at the same time, with different things to offer. The vita, by contrast, doesn't really have a good FPS or TPS with multiplayer yet, where UT and Warhawk scratched those itches very well when I picked up my PS3.

    I think I'm gonna fall in love with this system when the inevitable Metal Gear game is released for it, mainly for the online. I fucking loved Metal Gear Online on my PS3, and I'm sad it's shutting down. Something like that on the vita would keep me glued for weeks. I'm looking heavily towards that one game by the Socom Devs, but I dunno if it'll scratch the itch I had. When I got my first PSP, I got Socom and Wipeout with it and, despite liking Socom a lot, I felt very let down by it. I do not feel the same way about the vita. Peace Walker, despite me already having beaten it twice, is awesome on my Vita and I absolutely will play it again a third time, because those controls feel so great.

  • nathanaelnathanael Registered User regular
    I got wipeout and this is great. I wish I had gotten the boxed version, but I'm fine with a downloadable version.

    I feel the same way, only reversed, about Hot Shots Golf. Totally wish that I'd DL'd it instead of getting the boxed copy. It's just one of those games that needs to always be available, especially for the Daily International Tourneys that I suck hard at. I love 'em.

    This my Gamertag— NathanaelPM
    This is my PSN ID— Radthanael
«134567101
Sign In or Register to comment.