As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PS Vita] 2.0: PS1 support is a go (unless you live in North America and don't own a PS3)

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    CorriganX wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Ok. A couple PSP related questions --

1) What is the difference between Persona 2: Innocent Sin which is already out, and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment which is on the coming soon PSP list?

2) Is the Vita version of Lumines much different or much better than the original PSP release? If they are super similar, would it be better to just get the PSP version digitally and save a bunch of money?

I believe that P2 is actually two seperate games that form an overarcing storyline. They're seperate stories but tie together to form the whole picture.

The vita version is upgraded graphics, new features like avatars that do things when you tap them like force random blocks, or specific color blocks, world block that the entire work coordinates to clear every 24 hours, and backtouch features. Its better than the PSP Version, but if you're really price conscious you might want to grab the psp version. It'll look worse, and have less features, but if you need the money you need the money.

The PSP version of Lumines isn't available digitally. Some nonsense about music licensing, I believe.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular

1) What is the difference between Persona 2: Innocent Sin which is already out, and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment which is on the coming soon PSP list?

2) Is the Vita version of Lumines much different or much better than the original PSP release? If they are super similar, would it be better to just get the PSP version digitally and save a bunch of money?

Lumines Vita is the only one available. They never took into account digital releases when they licensed all the songs in the first two games, so they never released them on PSN.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Oh, I was completely wrong with the lumines thing. I just assumed it was up there since it was so popular. My bad. :(

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

I can't answer the first but to the second, lumines for the PSP isnt available digitally in the US and im not sure about other regions. My googling makes it sound like its not available digitally anywhere due to licensing and publisher issues.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    nefyavenefyave Registered User regular
    So i also accidently bought P3...this thing is going to make me bankrupt. I love my vita!

bannerpa.jpg
  • Options
    CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Okay. I shouldn't feel so goddamn accomplished, but I purchased those official screen protectors. They come with instructions and even have a plastic guide to get it on right. What im most proud of is that theres so few bubbles on my screen, I think I can live with how its set. I feel so accomplished just because I applied a screen protector, but with how often I fucked up the ones on my DS and old PSP, I'm goddamn ecstatic with it.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    Okay. I shouldn't feel so goddamn accomplished, but I purchased those official screen protectors. They come with instructions and even have a plastic guide to get it on right. What im most proud of is that theres so few bubbles on my screen, I think I can live with how its set. I feel so accomplished just because I applied a screen protector, but with how often I fucked up the ones on my DS and old PSP, I'm goddamn ecstatic with it.

pix or it didn't happen

mirite

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    So can I confirm this about God Eater:

I can download it on PSN.
    Transfer it to my Vita.
    Then play with other people online who have it on their Vita.

Is all of that accurate?

• Options
    b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular

yeah. Mine was a little bit too far to the left, but it went on so perfect and so air bubble free, that I am more than satisfied and more satisfied than I've ever been with a screen protector. I think the difference with the DS one I've done, is that the DS screen was indented, so it was harder to clean/apply for some.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular

Wow, this was almost exactly the same experience that I had!

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Haha, I figured out Sony. The Vita is only put here to keep me from giving money to random Steam Sales. YOU AINT THAT HOT VITA. Silly Sony.

/spends another 20 on psn

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    So can I confirm this about God Eater:

I can download it on PSN.
    Transfer it to my Vita.
    Then play with other people online who have it on their Vita.

Is all of that accurate?

Everything except the playing online part.

• Options
    Also my screen protector was a little off center at first but had no dust or air bubbles, so I tempted the shit out of fate and picked it up and moved it.

Miraculously, I got it placed well, and no errant dust or air got in.

I am King Awesome.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    You can play online with Ad-hoc Party.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I have a tiny bit of dust on one edge, but no bubbles, perfect alignment, perfect seal around all edges.

<3 Hori.

• Options
    Ah darn.
    I assume Monster Hunter works the same way?
    I will look into this Ad-Hoc Party business.

• Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dusda wrote: »
    The 3G data plan is totally optional. I haven't signed up yet, and likely won't.

Worth noting: it's a month-to-month deal. No contract or commitment.

I don't personally see the point of paying for 3g on the Vita, since you can't play online. Especially if you have a phone, and especially if it's android because you can enable free tethering at 4g speed with android.

Yeah, it's not insanely useful by any means, which if why I probably won't ever sign up for it. You can't download games, you can't play online. All it really does is keep your social stuff up to day while you're out and about.
    Wow, that sounds kind of pointless. Any other reason to have the 3G model?

It's supposed to be for like browsing the internet on the go. Which would be awesome if phones didn't exist.

I thought you could use 3G for PSN messages, twitter/game interactions and game leaderboards and stuff. (You just can't use it to play online or download games since that would be too much data)

I signed up for the one month of Data for Super Stardust and I coulda sworn I've had my friend's wipeout times update when I wasn't connected to wifi.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    fireflyboyfireflyboy Registered User regular
    I have a tiny bit of dust on one edge, but no bubbles, perfect alignment, perfect seal around all edges.

<3 Hori.

Same here. First time i've ever managed to put one on with no bubbles. I also got the Hori gel skin. I HATE scratches on my shiny toys.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    How come my Vita trophies aren't showing up on my trophy list on my PS3?

• Options

They don't show up on a PS3 currently, and I haven't seen anything from sony indicating if they will or will not add the functionality.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    ultimakay wrote: »

They don't show up on a PS3 currently, and I haven't seen anything from sony indicating if they will or will not add the functionality.
    Awesome so they all go one way but not the other? That's ridiculously stupid considering I can look at them all on my Vita.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    You can play online with Ad-hoc Party.
    Oh yeah, I was going to add a bit to the FAQ about that. And suggest that everyone on the forums use the US Ad-hoc Party, as that's where everyone seems to be located and it'd make finding each other easier.
    The PS3 hasn't been patched to show them. I can't imagine that update is too far away though.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ultimakay wrote: »

Awesome so they all go one way but not the other? That's ridiculously stupid considering I can look at them all on my Vita.

Yup, it is pretty crazy that they don't go both ways yet but since they do go one way it probably will just take a patch to make vita trophies appear on the PS3.

hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    vagrant_winds / Unco-ordinated - thanks for the tip, I got it all setup.

Is the most recent Monster Hunter for PSP (there were so many I can't keep track of which is which) playable on Vita (and online) with the Ad-hoc party? Sorry if this has been covered =)

vamen on
  • Options
    vamen wrote: »
    vagrant_winds / Unco-ordinated - thanks for the tip, I got it all setup.

Is the most recent Monster Hunter for PSP (there were so many I can't keep track of which is which) playable on Vita (and online) with the Ad-hoc party? Sorry if this has been covered =)

The most recent MonHun in English is, unfortunately, a bit old (Monster Hunter Freedom Unite), that said it plays just fine on the Vita and works with ad-hoc party.

I'm still hoping we'll see an English PSN release of Portable 3rd now that Vita is out, but I don't think we've heard any word on that yet.

• Options
    Going back to Unite is kind of harsh after playing Portable 3 for the past year+, but I must admit I've missed some of the old Unite critters. I'd rather be fighting a Jinouga, but sometimes you just have to slap a Kut-Ku silly.

• Options
    Going back to Unite after Tri was a huge, massive jarring experience.

Related to hit boxes, mainly. It's so weird after playing with all of Tri's awesome, tight hit boxes to get used to the fact that certain wyverns in Unite have hit boxes that extend way the fuck outward from their body. Like Diablos' charge, or basically fucking anything related to Plesioth.

• Options
    Oh, definitely. And P3 was more akin to Tri, with even more improvements, so it's a harsh pill to swallow.

The audacity to mess with a near perfect protector install, and a piece of Scotch tape later, and I'm gonna call this one of the best screen protectors and installs I've ever done. Got the last stray fiber. Hooray for obsessiveness!

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm just personally holding off on Monstur Hunter now until the next English released game playable online.

Which might be a while. There's no way in hell I'm buying a ad-hoc MH for 3DS when Nintendo has nothing like Ad-hoc Party. Even if it gets released over here. No multiplayer, no sale. :/

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    AoiAoi Registered User regular
    Wait, there was a US release of ad hoc party??

• Options
    WraithvergeWraithverge Registered User regular
    Man, fuck Plesioth's hipcheck. I'm not even playing Unite right now and the very thought of it gets the blood boiling!
    I'm just personally holding off on Monstur Hunter now until the next English released game playable online.

Which might be a while. There's no way in hell I'm buying a ad-hoc MH for 3DS when Nintendo has nothing like Ad-hoc Party. Even if it gets released over here. No multiplayer, no sale. :/

That's pretty much where I stand. I didn't sell my 3DS due to the fear that it would get MonHun before the Vita... and have multiplayer like the Wii's implemented. If it was pure local, I think I'd still hold out to see what they do with the Vita. Now if they release MonHun for the Vita first, it's win-win. At the very least I'll have AHP to play online with.

• Options
    Aoi wrote: »
    Wait, there was a US release of ad hoc party??

US, Europe, and Japan.

Japan's AHP is the only one that really gets maintained though. Even has a special MH theme and sets of lobbies.

• Options
    Skelly BSkelly B Registered User regular
    I bought 4 vita games already, but I'm definitely feeling the RPG pull. I might have to see what this Persona 3 hubabaloo is all about. I'll have to check what the other options for non PS3 owners are though.

• Options
    MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    Can I get in on this? My ID on PSN is Morvidus. I have Lumines, BlazBlue CSE, UMvC3, Ninja Gaiden, Dynasty Warriors Next (currently my favorite), and Hustle Kings.

I'm surprised at how good Hustle Kings and DW are. The gimmick controls in DW are much needed in the series, and chalking my cue in HK? Love it!

A next-gen handheld RPG would be fucking great, though. I heard rumors about Skyrim?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Is the Assassin's Creed for PSP any good? Bloodlines I think its called. I'm a pretty big AC fan, having played every game in the main series and enjoyed them all. But sometimes portable spinoffs scare me.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I have only played the portable one, but I found it to be pretty fun all around

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Its okay but pretty limited. It had a thing where you could unlock goodies for AC2 and vice versa, but that was pretty much the only notable thing I can remember about Blood lines.

• Options
    So vita wallpapers can't actually have alpha channels? Or is content manager converting my files from png24 to png8?

• Options
    I'm not up on my fancy lingo, but transparency is fine for wallpapers; that's pretty much all I'm using these days. I'm to understand that lock screens tend to get wibbly-wobbly with transparent .pngs though.

• Options
    I don't know how many people would actually run into this problem, but basically alpha transparency allows for different levels of opacity. One of the nice things about this is you can make an image with antialiased lines that will look nice on any background.
    18xkH9.png
    20OaIx.png
    3LQnp6.png

The vita seems to have mixed support for pngs with transparency though. When set as a background an image like 1 is converted to something like 2. Any pixel that isn't totally transparent will still be read as such. The web browser fully supports transparent pngs though and the photo app sort of does, but they appear kinda odd. I ended up faking it with a matte color, but it's not ideal.