As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Get files from an infected CD

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Had a friend ask me to try and help her get a file from a CD that may be infected with a virus. She said the virus was one that takes over the system and acts like a false anti-virus software, so I'm guessing it may be some variation on the win32 malware.

Is a system that is a different OS than the one the malware was designed for safe? IE, if the malware infected a Windows XP system, would a Windows 7 system be safe? I really don't quite know how the malware itself works, just what its effects are. If the answer to this question is no, is there a safe way to get it off of the CD? If I put the in the CD and then just ran Malware Bytes and such on it would that be good enough? Would certainly use a fresh alt account or a non-essential computer for doing this.

Edit: I don't have reasonable access to a non-Windows computer. I could get my hands on a Mac, but would be awhile.

KurnDerak on

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Stick Linux on a USB drive and boot from it.

• Options
    I didn't think you could boot from a USB, or is that just a Windows specific thing? Though if it is simple enough a quick Linux install might work. Never used Linux in my life.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Windows can boot from a USB too but it's difficult. Linux is faster and easier. UNetbootin might be the best for someone who has never used Linux. Specifically, UNetbootin + Ubuntu.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Okay, that makes things a lot easier from the sounds of it. Thank you for that.