Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Get files from an infected CD

KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Had a friend ask me to try and help her get a file from a CD that may be infected with a virus. She said the virus was one that takes over the system and acts like a false anti-virus software, so I'm guessing it may be some variation on the win32 malware.

Is a system that is a different OS than the one the malware was designed for safe? IE, if the malware infected a Windows XP system, would a Windows 7 system be safe? I really don't quite know how the malware itself works, just what its effects are. If the answer to this question is no, is there a safe way to get it off of the CD? If I put the in the CD and then just ran Malware Bytes and such on it would that be good enough? Would certainly use a fresh alt account or a non-essential computer for doing this.

Edit: I don't have reasonable access to a non-Windows computer. I could get my hands on a Mac, but would be awhile.

KurnDerak on