As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here's a time machine, now go [change history]

RichyRichy Registered User regular
edited March 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
Here's a random idea that came to my mind earlier today. I thought it could be interesting to see what people around here think.

Alright, so here's a time machine. The rules are, you walk in, and you can go to any place, at any time in the past, from five minutes ago to a billion years ago. But there is no return trip: once you leave, you can never come back. You are of course still you, knowing everything you know now (or learn before you leave). You can take with you anything you can carry - so a couple of books, money, a gun, but not a skyscraper or a car. And as a bonus, the machine automatically makes you fluent in the language of the people in the place and time you're going to.

Your goal is to go do something to change history and make the world a better place.

So, where would you go? What would you take with you? Who would you meet? What would you do? And more importantly, how do you hope your actions would change the world in the long term?

sig.gif
Richy on

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    http://youtu.be/yOzXvQ9Qj1o

For the obligatory stopping Hitler.

On a more serious note, I suppose the biggest thing you could do is try to take the concept of literacy as far back as possible. Once we learned to write, and mass produce writing, technology and human progress start to lurch forward at a tremendous pace. I don't think you can just bring back medicine, or the steam engine, or anything advanced. That would just look like magic, and you'd end up with people worshiping it rather than trying to understand it. If you take back writing, people still get to develop at their own pace, but since everything is recorded, there won't be as many false starts or as much lost knowledge.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Wherever you go, do vaccinate yourself before going. And duly remember that you're also likely to be one hell of a plaguebearer, yourself...

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Without a doubt, the top priority on my list would be saving the library of Alexandria.

I mean, bringing mating pairs of dinosaurs back would be pretty cool, too, but less helpful.

Maybe I could combine the two efforts and establish a Hypatian order of Dinosaur Warrior-Monks . . . .

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Stop Ronald Reagan's presidential bid.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    It's fairly recent but I think the world would indeed be a massively better place via the prevention of some skulldudgery in Florida round about November 2000. If the election had not been wrongly stolen from Gore this country and indeed the world would be a lot better off.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Two words: Sports almanac.

It's the only way the McFly family will learn some damn respect.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Without a doubt, the top priority on my list would be saving the library of Alexandria.

That, or giving them a really angry lecture about backing up their information.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Orson Scott Cards idea:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastwatch:_The_Redemption_of_Christopher_Columbus

I'd go with introducing rudimentary antibiotics right before the plague started to hit Europe and made the dark ages last an extra couple hundred years.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »

That, or giving them a really angry lecture about backing up their information.

Yes, I could go back in time and give them a bunch of moleskins and a fire safe.

Whoever said the thing about writing, that's a good idea. You gotta be able to enforce the literacy, though, or otherwise you end up with a situation not unlike how Catholicism and Islam maintained centuries of educational stagnation by simply building a religious hierarchy around a text that its followers couldn't understand and its officers refused to teach.

The spread of mainstream literacy in Europe began mostly as a by-product of protestant churches printing Bibles in languages other than Latin and forcing their parishioners to learn what their own religion was about.

• Options
    SotextliSotextli Registered User regular
    Kill Genghis Khan.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Travel back to 1993. Give a modern gaming laptop and a copy of Doom 3 to John Romero and John Carmack.

• Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Take back a Large Backpack and suitcases full of a few laptops and as many hard drives as I can filled with documentation on the past 60 years worth of technological, software, scientific and medicinal advances to 1950 or so.

Less chance of majorly fucking up the timeline by going too far back and creating who knows what kind of ripples, and jumpstart science, medicine, computers and prosthetics tech to where 2012 looks more like 2060 or beyond in advancement.

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Well of course I thought first of who to kill. I then felt very guilty, because I wondered if killing Jesus would have stopped the depredations of the organised Church in Europe.

But I don't think you would do much, or any, good by killing someone. Teach something to a group of people, I'd say. Germ theory. Basic sociology, perhaps.

I sort of want to say the printing press, but physical technology is so dependent on being allowed/propagated by the culture it's in.

Still not sure which idea was the most transformative. They all build on something else - women's rights is huge, but that's contingent on people giving a shit about anyone's rights.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    It's fairly recent but I think the world would indeed be a massively better place via the prevention of some skulldudgery in Florida round about November 2000. If the election had not been wrongly stolen from Gore this country and indeed the world would be a lot better off.
    In that case we might have President Lieberman instead of President Obama, though.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    After Return of the Jedi, George Lucas has an accident with a truck.

The trilogy is kept pure!

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I'll realize that for whatever reason time machines are created in my lifespan so I will go back in time maybe a week and take some money so that in another week I can use the machine and go back again in some kind of groundhog day scenario where I slowly accumulate additional funds to do increasingly ridiculous things so long as I don't die.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I think I'd go back and kill Oliver Cromwell, then lead a campaign against his ilk.

Or, we'd have President Gore in 2000, then 9/11, then a Republican landslide in 2002 and 2004 over perceived inaction in the wake of the terrorist menace. I mean, maybe Gore's administration would've paid more attention to intelligence, but I'd bet it wouldn't.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    I like the idea of bringing writing as far back as possible.

My idea was to find a more sedentary civilization in North America, perhaps the Mississippi culture or earlier, and to help them make their cities more stable. Irrigation, masonry, metal works, and of course writing. Hopefully technology and city-building would spread from there, and the North American native population would be better fit to confront the Europeans centuries later. They'd have both a more advanced civilization, and more immunity to the plagues since they'd already live in cities.

sig.gif
  • Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Richy wrote: »
    I like the idea of bringing writing as far back as possible.

My idea was to find a more sedentary civilization in North America, perhaps the Mississippi culture or earlier, and to help them make their cities more stable. Irrigation, masonry, metal works, and of course writing. Hopefully technology and city-building would spread from there, and the North American native population would be better fit to confront the Europeans centuries later. They'd have both a more advanced civilization, and more immunity to the plagues since they'd already live in cities.

Wouldn't that just lead to Nuclear Armageddon in the Third Cree-Hapsburg War?

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    Stop Ronald Reagan's presidential bid.

Or stop Barry Goldwater from running.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I think I'd go back and kill Oliver Cromwell, then lead a campaign against his ilk.

Or, we'd have President Gore in 2000, then 9/11, then a Republican landslide in 2002 and 2004 over perceived inaction in the wake of the terrorist menace. I mean, maybe Gore's administration would've paid more attention to intelligence, but I'd bet it wouldn't.
    I feel sure Gore would not have given a shit about the neocon hard-on for invading most of the Middle East, nor would he have told a staffer handing him a report that said bin Laden was determined to strike in the US "okay, you covered your ass". This was not a matter of not being super-diligent and forward-thinking, but of doing your damn job. If someone says "this terrorist wants to attack your country", you look into it and prevent an attack if at all possible.

• Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    I'd let the guys at Chernobyl know what's up. That accident could have been easily prevented and maybe we'd live in a glorious nuclear future by now.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I'd head back to Ancient Greece around the time they were publishing their near-calculus geometry work. They had organized academia and schooling at the time, but the were missing the concept of coordinate geometry. But they were also open enough to the idea that these were fundamental principles that if you showed them something bold and amazing they'd study it. So I'd take the modern number system back, and as many math textbooks as I could.

Getting them to start developing calculus (and optics) would be the first thing, but I'd then use any position I could obtain to have all the content of these books chiselled into stone walls, but also transcribed and widely disseminated.

Because the development of calculus, and the field of astronomy, laid the foundations for the renaissance and the age of reason (and they were aware their were planets at the time that did not go around the earth). Shift that to happening a few thousand years earlier and you open the possibility for a few thousand years of technological advance.

• Options
    LucidLucid Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I couldn't really change anything though, could I? I'd just end up causing(or being a part of) what happens to happen, becoming a part of history. Like, I'd already be a part of the events that led to whatever I wanted to change, ultimately not changing what I wanted to because I can't.

If we actually do go with tensed theory, then I'd just cause some kind of paradox by messing with events, destroying(or at least diverging from) the future I came from.

I think it would be the height of arrogance to believe I could actually manipulate events within an absolute degree of certainty so as to affect largely positive change. Simply to assume I(or anyone) possess the knowledge and insight possible to determine what would be the best course of action implies some kind of omnipotence that I'm just not comfortable with.

Lucid on
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

This, so much this. I'd probably focus on convincing all of the European monarchs that the Earth was far too large for a voyage west to succeed, and convince them not to finance such a trip. By the time anyone attempted it, the New World would hopefully be strong enough to protect itself.

Actually, I might go back even farther and try to stop Europeans from leaving Europe at all until they were a little more civilized.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Pi-r8 wrote: »

This, so much this. I'd probably focus on convincing all of the European monarchs that the Earth was far too large for a voyage west to succeed, and convince them not to finance such a trip. By the time anyone attempted it, the New World would hopefully be strong enough to protect itself.

Actually, I might go back even farther and try to stop Europeans from leaving Europe at all until they were a little more civilized.

None of this makes any sense to me. Why would the Native Americans have become more unified/advanced/stronger when their civilization was working just fine?

A history professor I had in undergrad posits a theory, that I think is pretty solid, that the only reason Europe advanced as it did was all the pressure applied to it. Competition and such.

Outside of some godlike power over the basics of reality, there is no way to do what you suggest.

The smartest move would be to start up a human rights campaign a few centuries early.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    3 hours ago so i dont get fired from my job

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular

The GOP did landslide in 2002 even though it was fairly obvious they were really fucking this country up. I liked Bush's State of the Union speech that year "Guys, I fucked this country up a lot over the past twelve months, but 9/11 happened so we're cool right? Okay, now here's some countries I want to invade."

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

None of this makes any sense to me. Why would the Native Americans have become more unified/advanced/stronger when their civilization was working just fine?

A history professor I had in undergrad posits a theory, that I think is pretty solid, that the only reason Europe advanced as it did was all the pressure applied to it. Competition and such.

Outside of some godlike power over the basics of reality, there is no way to do what you suggest.

The smartest move would be to start up a human rights campaign a few centuries early.

Well, in the book, they rig it so this happens with a Mesoamerican/Caribbean empire that sails back to Europe with a vast armada after Columbus' voyage is sabotaged.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

Well, in the book, they rig it so this happens with a Mesoamerican/Caribbean empire that sails back to Europe with a vast armada after Columbus' voyage is sabotaged.

Huh, I'll have to give that a read. I think you'd have to go pretty far back to set that up though, none of the civilizations in the Americas had that kind of ability.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    3 hours ago so i dont get fired from my job

D:

• Options
    dbrock270 wrote: »

The GOP did landslide in 2002 even though it was fairly obvious they were really fucking this country up. I liked Bush's State of the Union speech that year "Guys, I fucked this country up a lot over the past twelve months, but 9/11 happened so we're cool right? Okay, now here's some countries I want to invade."

Shit, they did, didn't they? Slipped my mind there. But I imagine we'd have seen some kind of Tea Party equivalent or some bullshit that might've been even worse than what we got. Which I suppose is the point of temporal prime directives in the first place...

I'm still going with murder Cromwell, start the enlightenment early though.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Pi-r8Pi-r8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Well the biggest difference would be disease immunity. It's estimated that they lost something like 80% of their population to disease after the European explorers arrived. In 1492, the Native Americans had only just recently started living in big cities, and hadn't really had time to develop diseases or an immunity to them (or the necessary medical knowledge about quarantines, etc) so they were all completely decimated by the natural bacteria of the Europeans. With a couple extra centuries of city life, they would have become much more resistant to European diseases.

And really, the idea that Europe had more pressure or competition and became naturally "tougher" strikes me as... troublesome. It's not like the rest of the world was lacking in pressure or competition.

Pi-r8 on
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Huh, I'll have to give that a read. I think you'd have to go pretty far back to set that up though, none of the civilizations in the Americas had that kind of ability.

I never checked out Card's claim that there were some small tribes who were close to both building larger ships and discovering iron working in the late 15th century, but Columbus showed up, disease, boom. But that was the premise (eventually), it meanders around for a while, discovers Atlantis, all kinds of silly things.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options

Well the biggest difference would be disease immunity. It's estimated that they lost something like 80% of their population to disease after the European explorers arrived. In 1492, the Native Americans had only just recently started living in big cities, and hadn't really had time to develop diseases or an immunity to them (or the necessary medical knowledge about quarantines, etc) so they were all completely decimated by the natural bacteria of the Europeans. With a couple extra centuries of city life, they would have become much more resistant to European diseases.

Interesting.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    Well,

Going back far enough to effect widespread change on the world would mean giving up all the modern creature comforts I'm accustomed to.

Alternatively, going back in time 5 years with a sports almanac, extensive knowledge of the sociopolitical, economic, and financial of the past decade, and the legal know-how to stay under the radar and out of trouble would allow me to become an anonymous trillionaire god-emperor that could bankroll, well, just about anything.

I think that would be swell.

• Options

And really, the idea that Europe had more pressure or competition and became naturally "tougher" strikes me as... troublesome. It's not like the rest of the world was lacking in pressure or competition.

Also the Aztecs were total dicks that everyone hated. That was kind of vital.

• Options
    All of this handwringing about the fate of the Native Americans is moot and pointless when you realize that Indo-American cultures never stood any chance against colonial Europe unless they were discovered at some point in the late 19th/early 20th Century, which is itself a fantasy.

Native Americans, anywhere in the northern or southern hemisphere, lacked the requisite conditions to innovate too far past the stone age. The predominant cultures lived within the tropics, making farming a virtual impossibility, and the other cultures in the temprate zones lacked any real understanding of sustainable farming techniques, making many of them nomadic tribes who harvested non-potable foodstuffs by following bison or deer or whales. Worst of all, all of these cultural groups lacked the critical ingredient of domesticated beasts of burden, making the economics and potentials of mass-production farming unattainable.

The Native Americans were duly fucked in just about every culturally significant way possible.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'd go back to 2009 and launch a major campaign to bring down the tea party, I'd also set this thing up so that they would do plenty of what they are doing now.

I know it's not much but I get the feeling that if I succeeded it would change things quite a bit.

• Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I would travel back to right before a recent major lotto drawing prior to a major sports event, and would bring the schematics for building time machines. I would win the lotto, bet all the money on the sports event, and then use the vast wealth I would control to commission more time machines, and to create an infrastructure for training time operatives to travel back and change any number of events.