As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Out with Kony 2012, in with indecent exposure

• Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    Hey I've got an article on this thing!

Vice - Should I Donate Money To Kony 2012 or Not?

Looks like IC refuses to cooperate with the BBB and various other sketchy things. Frankly the whole campaign kinda peeves me off for similar reasons as the article. Are naive people being exploited to pad a dodgy chairity's salaries and a douchebag's film career? Or am I actually so bitter about everything all the time that I'm making myself think that, and I just don't wanna support something someone worked hard on cause it's cheesy. I can't tell anymore. Personally I don't really know how stopping one warlord in Africa is going to change anything there...

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    The summation of that Vice article would be a good jumping off point for an actual article.

• Options
    http://chrisblattman.com/documents/research/2011.LogicOfChildSoldiering.pdf?9d7bd4
    Abstract:
    Why do armed groups recruit large numbers of children as fighters, often coercively? The international
    community has tried to curb these crimes by shaming and punishing leaders who commit
    them—in short, making the crimes costlier. Are these policies effective and sufficient? The
    answer lies in more attention to the strategic interaction between rebel leaders and recruits. We
    adapt theories of industrial organization to rebellious groups and show how, being less able
    fighters, children are attractive recruits if and only if they are easier to intimidate, indoctrinate
    and misinform than adults. This ease of manipulation interacts with the costliness of war crimes
    to influence rebel leaders’ incentives to coerce children into war. We use a case study and a novel
    survey of former child recruits in Uganda to illustrate this argument and provide hard evidence
    not only that children are more easily manipulated in war, but also how—something often asserted
    but never demonstrated. Our theory, as well as a new “cross-rebel” dataset, also support the
    idea that costliness matters: foreign governments, international organizations, diasporas, and local
    populations can discourage child recruitment by withholding resources or punishing offenders
    (or, conversely, encourage these crimes by failing to act). But punishing war crimes has limitations,
    and can only take us so far. Children’s reintegration opportunities must be at least as
    great as adults’ (something that demobilization programs sometimes fail to do). Also, indoctrination
    and misinformation can be directly influenced. We observe grassroots innovations in Uganda
    that could be models for the prevention and curbing of child soldiering and counterinsurgency
    generally.

• Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    Reginald wrote: »
    So, I have a question for all of you guys that is tangentially related to this topic. What are you guys going to do in the near future to help make this world a better place, whether it be exposing injustice, volunteering, or donating money to causes? I would like to hear about some positive action for change. :)

I am going to volunteer my time this weekend to the local food bank and get some folks much needed fruits and veggies. I used to do this in Los Angeles, and I need to get back into the swing of things again up here. I love smelling like citrus all day after forklifting and sorting oranges, and generally the people that work for food banks are awesome.

I'm going to jack off all of next week

I might also kill myself

that's a positive

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html
    RE: BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU (BBB)
    Participation in BBB's program is voluntary-- we are choosing to wait until we have expanded our Board of Directors, as some questions hinge on the size of our Board. The current Board is small in size and reflects Invisible Children's grassroots foundation. We have now reached a juncture of success that has astonished even our greatest supporters. While it is important to retain a presence on the Board that reflects Invisible Children's early beginnings, we are also working to expand the Board this year.

whether it's a dodge, or legitimate depends a great deal on where you stand, I guess.

Re: where the money goes... well, ultimately, it's a very grey question. I could argue it doesn't really, as long as you're doing something that you think helps the world, but there are tons of causes out there that don't help at all. But if the choice is action or nothing, I advocate for action, because I have faith that enough people acting will make the world a better place.

Also, re: what I'm doing, I've dedicated my life to assisting low income families. For the last 5 years I've been working at a non-profit that provides emergency rental and utility assistance, has 2 foodbanks, and helps single families afford transportation, utilities, medical, etc. We are a united way partner (and are currently designing their local state-wide disaster assessment program), We distributed ARRA funds, and assist people with access to public assistance. Our motto is people helping people.

Why did I write all that? probably for no good reason, other than to show my true colors in this... conversation? Also, Ratings are all well and good, but if you're questioning how that money is spent... I dunno. It's pretty hard to be shady and get an unqualified audit.

belligerent on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Anecdotes ahoy!!!

I know of two people who have contacted/donated to local/international charities specifically because of this Kony thing. I also know of one person who bought something called an action pack or something from IC.

I have no idea what that does.

They mention the action pack in the video, it seems to be posters, stickers, bracelets etc for awareness raising.

• Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Anecdotes ahoy!!!

I know of two people who have contacted/donated to local/international charities specifically because of this Kony thing. I also know of one person who bought something called an action pack or something from IC.

They mention the action pack in the video, it seems to be posters, stickers, bracelets etc for awareness raising.

So basically giving them money for nothing, except items that let you look like you're making a difference.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Re: where the money goes... well, ultimately, it's a very grey question. I could argue it doesn't really, as long as you're doing something that you think helps the world, but there are tons of causes out there that don't help at all. But if the choice is action or nothing, I advocate for action, because I have faith that enough people acting will make the world a better place.

Cool, you want to send me $15 and I'll make sure it helps the children enslaved by Kony?

We can even have a twitter handle, if you want. #15forUganda

Tell your friends.

• Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    i'm more of a fan of Kintendo

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    nah dude, that $15 won't go anywhere.

send me $20 and i'll take action all over the place on Uganda. i even have a paypal account set up for this thing: thinkaboutthepoordarkskinnedchildren@thisisarealcharity.org

ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Hey I've got an article on this thing!

Vice - Should I Donate Money To Kony 2012 or Not?

Looks like IC refuses to cooperate with the BBB and various other sketchy things. Frankly the whole campaign kinda peeves me off for similar reasons as the article. Are naive people being exploited to pad a dodgy chairity's salaries and a douchebag's film career? Or am I actually so bitter about everything all the time that I'm making myself think that, and I just don't wanna support something someone worked hard on cause it's cheesy. I can't tell anymore. Personally I don't really know how stopping one warlord in Africa is going to change anything there...

I could have sworn that the common belief around here was that the BBB was a pointless organization with no real power.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    LTM wrote: »

Cool, you want to send me $15 and I'll make sure it helps the children enslaved by Kony?

We can even have a twitter handle, if you want. #15forUganda

Tell your friends.

what kind of weak ass help is that

send me $15 000 and I'll make sure it helps someone somewhere become $15 000 richer

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    So any of you negative nellies got opinions on what would be a good thing to do for Africa? Plenty of "this is pointless self stroking" but not a single "what we should do is..."

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    So any of you negative nellies got opinions on what would be a good thing to do for Africa? Plenty of "this is pointless self stroking" but not a single "what we should do is..."

Keep the mining of their uber-important natural resources in the right hands.

Who's hands? I have no clue, but probably not rape warfare guys

Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    KadithKadith Registered User regular
    i believe i already suggested boot straps.

what more could they need?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Silmaril wrote: »
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Anecdotes ahoy!!!

So basically giving them money for nothing, except items that let you look like you're making a difference.

The argument is that the action pack is to be used on 4/20 to raise awareness of atrocities. The issue this is trying to solve is a lack of federal commitment due to a lack of knowledge by constituents.

I personally think my time and money can be better spent, but I did write an email to my senator and congressman.

• Options
    Use the action pack on 4/20?

Does it include Kony 2012 Zig Zags?

• Options

donate to politics-neutral organizations like Medecins Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders.

study more about the underlying, ridiculously-complex politics situation in Uganda and Africa generally.

help with refugee/asylum efforts in the U.S. (my preferred method).

tell these Invisible Children idiots to quit it with the paternalistic/colonialist bullshit and realize change has to happen at the grassroots level, headed by actual Ugandans.

ffNewSig.png
  • Options
    http://chrisblattman.com/documents/research/2011.LogicOfChildSoldiering.pdf?9d7bd4
    Abstract:
    Why do armed groups recruit large numbers of children as fighters, often coercively? The international
    community has tried to curb these crimes by shaming and punishing leaders who commit
    them—in short, making the crimes costlier. Are these policies effective and sufficient? The
    answer lies in more attention to the strategic interaction between rebel leaders and recruits. We
    adapt theories of industrial organization to rebellious groups and show how, being less able
    fighters, children are attractive recruits if and only if they are easier to intimidate, indoctrinate
    and misinform than adults. This ease of manipulation interacts with the costliness of war crimes
    to influence rebel leaders’ incentives to coerce children into war. We use a case study and a novel
    survey of former child recruits in Uganda to illustrate this argument and provide hard evidence
    not only that children are more easily manipulated in war, but also how—something often asserted
    but never demonstrated. Our theory, as well as a new “cross-rebel” dataset, also support the
    idea that costliness matters: foreign governments, international organizations, diasporas, and local
    populations can discourage child recruitment by withholding resources or punishing offenders
    (or, conversely, encourage these crimes by failing to act). But punishing war crimes has limitations,
    and can only take us so far. Children’s reintegration opportunities must be at least as
    great as adults’ (something that demobilization programs sometimes fail to do). Also, indoctrination
    and misinformation can be directly influenced. We observe grassroots innovations in Uganda
    that could be models for the prevention and curbing of child soldiering and counterinsurgency
    generally.

• Options

donate to politics-neutral organizations like Medecins Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders.

study more about the underlying, ridiculously-complex politics situation in Uganda and Africa generally.

help with refugee/asylum efforts in the U.S. (my preferred method).

tell these Invisible Children idiots to quit it with the paternalistic/colonialist bullshit and realize change has to happen at the grassroots level, headed by actual Ugandans.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    that Vice.com "article" is pretty silly

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2012

Africa as a whole? Drastically change how we give aid to the region. Stop using it as a dumping ground for surplus grain to pad the pockets of the already bloated U.S. agricorps and depressing local prices so local farmers have even less incentive to grow grains there (since they can't compete with free grain the U.S. government is paying for). Invest in infrastructure that benefits the local, indigenous farmers instead of western farmers that are growing crops for export (and as a result not feeding the local population). Instead of pushing western crops that have been bio-engineered to rely on western pesticides and fertilizers, focus more funding on researching how to help indigenous food crops to better withstand drought and increase yields. In other words, better utilize our resources to actually improve their ability to grow and produce their own food instead of just offloading our surplus on them but doing little to change the conditions there. This is just for starters. There are plenty of other things we could be doing to help even more.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    but I missed out on on the colonialism the first time around and I would like a piece of that action

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    Mysst wrote: »
    but I missed out on on the colonialism the first time around and I would like a piece of that action

i thought you were doing plenty of colonizing here already, if you know what i mean :winky:

ffNewSig.png
  • Options

That ship has sailed son.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Mysst you just want your nubian queen with a badonkadonk.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Nice half post from my mobile... :/

Basically I was going to tell Dru to go to Africa and enslave a bunch of farmers and indoctrinate them with his radical "indigenous" farming tactics.

Then I will create a movie called Dru 2013, and an organization named "Indigenous Farmers", to combat his farmlording.

Reginald on
  • Options

getting an atlas and a basic understanding of what countries are in the continent would be a pretty good start

• Options
    Rolo wrote: »

getting an atlas and a basic understanding of what countries are in the continent would be a pretty good start

Whoa there. There are other continents?

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    what's a containents?

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Rolo wrote: »

Whoa there. There are other continents?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/11/1120_021120_GeoRoperSurvey.html
    In a nation called the world's superpower, only 17 percent of young adults in the United States could find Afghanistan on a map, according to a new worldwide survey released today.

The young U.S. citizens received poor marks generally in geography. But then, as results showed, their counterparts in other countries were hardly star students.

The National Geographic–Roper 2002 Global Geographic Literacy Survey polled more than 3,000 18- to 24-year-olds in Canada, France, Germany, Great Britain, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Sweden and the United States.

Sweden scored highest; Mexico, lowest. The U.S. was next to last.

"The survey demonstrates the geographic illiteracy of the United States," said Robert Pastor, professor of International Relations at American University, in Washington, D.C. "The results are particularly appalling in light of September 11, which traumatized America and revealed that our destiny is connected to the rest of the world."

About 11 percent of young citizens of the U.S. couldn't even locate the U.S. on a map. The Pacific Ocean's location was a mystery to 29 percent; Japan, to 58 percent; France, to 65 percent; and the United Kingdom, to 69 percent.

Are Young U.S. Citizens Americentric?

Despite the threat of war in Iraq and the daily reports of suicide bombers in Israel, less than 15 percent of the young U.S. citizens could locate either country.

More young U.S. citizens in the study knew that the island featured in last season's TV show "Survivor" is in the South Pacific than could find Israel.

Particularly humiliating was that all countries were better able to identify the U.S. population than many young U.S. citizens. Within the U.S., almost one-third said that population was between one billion and two billion; the answer is 289 million.

"It gives the sense that there is this Americentric thing going on—that we are big and powerful and have all these people in our country," said John Fahey, President and CEO of the National Geographic Society.

Brolo on
  • Options
    Druhim wrote: »
    Mysst you just want your nubian queen with a badonkadonk.

not just!

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    The young U.S. citizens received poor marks generally in geography. But then, as results showed, their counterparts in other countries were hardly star students.

. . .

Young adults worldwide are not markedly more literate about geography than the Americans.

On average, fewer than 25 percent of young people worldwide could locate Israel on the map. Only about 20 percent could identify hotspots like Afghanistan, Iran and Iraq.

Of all the young adults in the survey, only about one-third in Germany, Sweden and Japan, could name four countries that officially acknowledge having nuclear weapons. In the rest of the countries that number dropped to less than a quarter. In France 24 percent did not know that that their own country was a nuclear nation.

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    I failed geography in high school

even the american bit

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    I weep for the species.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    so has anyone posted this very long image macro thing yet? (spoiled for V-Scroll)
    K3mgn.jpg

TL:DR: the whole Kony thing is an attempt by a shadowy cabal within the US military to drum up support for an increased military presence in Africa thereby heading off China's attempts to increase their presence there.

• Options
    That is fucking wonderful.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    I weep for the species.

look man I'm better now! I actually care!

I still don't know what Delaware looks like though

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    I failed geography in high school

even the american bit
    map of the u.s.: correctly labeled west coast - [rectangles] & texas - correctly labeled east coast

hawaii and alaska in another box down here

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
This discussion has been closed.