As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield 3] LOCK PLEASE

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    we had a few on earlier. I came back around to see if anyone was playing. some dudes in mumble but no responses.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Ever since I installed BF3, I've pretty much forgotten I even have Origin installed on my computer. I am reminded when the logo flashes briefly on my screen when loading the game.

What I'm trying to say is that how I hate people who whine about Origin on the interwebs.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Ever since I installed BF3, I've pretty much forgotten I even have Origin installed on my computer. I am reminded when the logo flashes briefly on my screen when loading the game.

What I'm trying to say is that how I hate people who whine about Origin on the interwebs.

I also don't understand why people complain about having to use Origin to boot up Battlelog. Because you don't.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

As a reason to not get BF3, yeah, Origin doesn't really even count. I don't even notice it and I overreact to things that are annoying.

But Origin is still pretty crappy, which I can attest to since I've tried to get other stuff through it.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I hate leveling Recon. Close to the M98B though, my goal is in sight. I need mad head shots.

How good is the UMP? I'm tired of using the MP7 and none of the other PDW I have are that interesting.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    WBM99WBM99 Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    So I'm starting to get in to this game. Unfortunately, I need like 1 or 2 games of having like +15 K/D to right my ratio.

PSN: wbm99
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Really hope the new CQ maps are good for TDM. 870 all day erry day.

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    I hate leveling Recon. Close to the M98B though, my goal is in sight. I need mad head shots.

How good is the UMP? I'm tired of using the MP7 and none of the other PDW I have are that interesting.

UMP's good. PP2000's better.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Hey guys I've acquired a video of one of the new maps!
    Removed and copyright shutdown!

I blame meatro servers.
    DICE really needs to make the action a little more fluid and more reactive at close range if they want to beat COD at this style.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular

I also don't understand why people complain about having to use Origin to boot up Battlelog. Because you don't.
    Every time I have to patch Origin I notice, because it doesn't attempt to do that until I go to join a game. So I get to patch, then tell Battlelog to close the game (that it was never able to open), then re-attempt to join the server. If there was a queue, I go from being able to join the server to the back of the queue.

Origin is noticeable, and it never comes up in a fashion where I'm glad its there. If it would actually ask about patching as soon as the patch was released, I'd be much happier with it.

• Options
    HOW DARE ORIGIN INCONVENIENCE SOMEONE ONCE EVERY MONTH OR TWO

At least you don't have to manually patch it and have Battlelog tell you that it needs to be patched in such a way, or worse, give you the infamous "SOMETHING WENT WRONG" message and nothing more.

I'm not a huge advocate of Origin. I simply can't give any shits about it as it relates to BF3.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    At least Origin asks me when I want to download an update. Unlike Steam.

Oh look there is a 3 GB update for a game you never play! Hold the press because we are downloading this mother fucker!

Edit- Personally, I have had more issues with Steam than I ever have with Origin. There was a point where I had to make a back-up of my steamapps folder then remove and reinstall steam in order to get it to work, on a daily basis.

Cobalt60 on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    I really need to get back into BF3. I left for Skyrim and literally never came back. :(

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I have no idea how recon can make points so quickly. I was at like 2800 points in a game, competing with a friend for who got most points. Then I switched to recon and just laid in a bush and picked off everyone who tried to cap our point C on caspian. I did nothing other that shoot people and just a few minutes later I had 6000 points.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Syrdon wrote: »

Every time I have to patch Origin I notice, because it doesn't attempt to do that until I go to join a game. So I get to patch, then tell Battlelog to close the game (that it was never able to open), then re-attempt to join the server. If there was a queue, I go from being able to join the server to the back of the queue.

Origin is noticeable, and it never comes up in a fashion where I'm glad its there. If it would actually ask about patching as soon as the patch was released, I'd be much happier with it.

This is the source of my displeasure with Origin (well, that and itll occasionally log me out of it every once in a while, typically when Im changing servers). Why does Origin need to be up to date for me to launch BF3? Why didnt you tell me there was an update available before I tried to play a game through you?

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    DICE really needs to make the action a little more fluid and more reactive at close range if they want to beat COD at this style.
    Eh, considering how incredibly bad MW3's maps are, COD is pretty much surviving on blind brand loyalty at this point. It's pretty sad that the rudimentary TDM mode in BF3 is infinitely more enjoyable than anything MW3 has to offer.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    HOW DARE ORIGIN INCONVENIENCE SOMEONE ONCE EVERY MONTH OR TWO

At least you don't have to manually patch it and have Battlelog tell you that it needs to be patched in such a way, or worse, give you the infamous "SOMETHING WENT WRONG" message and nothing more.

I'm not a huge advocate of Origin. I simply can't give any shits about it as it relates to BF3.
    Comparing a behavior to something that stopped happening for any major company that I can think of at least 5 years ago is really not going to be the best way to convince people that you have a point. They'll see what looks a lot like a strawman and ignore the rest of your argument.

For recon points: Were you spotting or MAVing at the time? Those will both rack up points remarkably fast if your team is on the ball about using the information they're getting.

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    That map shown makes Grand Bazaar look like an entire city.

• Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    It's not like we're going to be forced to play those maps. I'm sure there will still be plenty of servers running more traditional setups.

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    Okay and I just looked at that video. That looks great, what are you all so angsty about? Looks like a sweet version of Counterstrike. Given the similarity in CQ gameplay between the two games, I think that mode could be a lot of fun with the right player counts.

Plus, the Baltic mansion is a bitchin' level.

p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    To each his own, that looks absolutely awful to me

• Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's because in a game called Battlefield the idea of fighting in a single building seems to miss the point entirely.

I mean if you think the B flag on a 64 player Metro server was a monumental cluster fuck.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    A building can be a Battlefield too.
    I don't see why optional content you never have to touch is such a bad thing?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Cause it could of been used to make optional content I do want to touch.

A building can be a battlefield but is not Battlefield, imho. I've always seen Battlefield as a combined arms team based game with large open maps, where you can't always kill the other person because they happen to something that's immune to your bullets. So, you got to call on a teammate with a missile launcher. And where there isn't always a direct route to an objective, so you got to think on your feet on how to get to it or how to protect it. This is why Metro is the worst map, long hallways & bottle necks and you're always within spitting distance of someone on the other team. Some people would say this makes it "Fast paced action!", but I personally get bored with that. Always knowing where the enemy is coming from. I try to think of the most indirect route to get to an objective or mcom because it's fucking awesome when it works.

For example, Nosehair Rush, people think this map is unbalanced because its really hard to get off the carrier if the AAV is in a certain spot. Most people just fly right into its guns, instead of doing a 180 in the UH-1, flying really low, and coming around on the left side. Its a long ass route but the heli isn't getting shot down by the AAV and if it moves to the left side, its no longer on the side that it can kill everyone. This is something I thought up during a game a LONG while ago and I've done that quite a bit playing the game, thinking on the fly. "How am I going get to and arm that Mcom when there's 10 guys in front of me, a tank to the left, and a AAV to the right?". "Swim under them using the canal." Did this at the fourth set of mcom at Nosehair. I can go on and on.

Anyway, I'm not getting that vibe from Close Combat, quite frankly I'm getting a "Hey CoD players! Here's a map(s) you can play TDM on and say how awesome you are at Battlefield!" vibe. The thought process goes about as far as "I'm going to shoot who ever I see in this hallway."

I might get it because of the possible unlocks... but eh.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • Options
    The very next pack they release features vehicle combat and apparently the "biggest map in BF history". So it's not like they aren't working on other stuff than "tiny infantry maps".

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Jurgen_Jurgen_ FinlandRegistered User regular
    I don't get all the hate these close quarter combat maps are getting already, I for one am really excited ! If they get a good balance going, it can be amazing. For some reason, I have really high hopes for this one.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Plus all we have to go on for opinions is a shitty handy-cam video of a TDM match. Y'all are jumping the gun something fierce on your convictions.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Can someone make a little list of the kind of maps we have available atm?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I have no idea how recon can make points so quickly. I was at like 2800 points in a game, competing with a friend for who got most points. Then I switched to recon and just laid in a bush and picked off everyone who tried to cap our point C on caspian. I did nothing other that shoot people and just a few minutes later I had 6000 points.

One day I was playing Metro as recon, US side. I dropped a TUGs in the little room between the two escalators and went AFK to get a drink or something. I came back 5 minutes later, I got the surveillance medal. I ended the game something like 3-1 with some ridiculous number of points just from all the spot assists.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Honk wrote: »

Head shots. Mad points from the marksman bonus. I always look for good spots about 100-300 meters away so I can get about 200-300 points per kill. I also put my MAV in choke points and watch my points shoot up.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    As someone who plays 64-player metro and likes it mildly, I am excited for the close-combat expansion.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Plus all we have to go on for opinions is a shitty handy-cam video of a TDM match. Y'all are jumping the gun something fierce on your convictions.

NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. No sanity here!

EVERYONE PANIC!

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    mojojoeo wrote: »

NO NO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. No sanity here!

EVERYONE PANIC!

Mr Flibble does not like close quarters combat!
    flibble3.jpg

Campy on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    I'm sorry but going from that video that map looks like boring shit

THERE I SAID IT

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular

heaven

• Options
    deadstickdeadstick Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote: »
    At least Origin asks me when I want to download an update. Unlike Steam.

Oh look there is a 3 GB update for a game you never play! Hold the press because we are downloading this mother fucker!

You can change the update settings for each game. Right Click -> Properties -> Updates tab, and set Automatic Updates to "Do not automatically update this game".

Steam ID deadstick Battlelog D3ADST1CK
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Warcry wrote: »

heaven

USAS with frag rounds

hell

CQC maps are good excuse to use shotguns and add a few new ones to the game. Benelli M1, SPAS-12, et al

Bring back the AUG DICE.

Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to all the stuff being destructible.
    The new maps are on a whole different destructibility level compared to the original ones.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    I highly doubt that.

Actually, since its only one building I bet shit is less likely to be blown up.

• Options
    wakkawa wrote: »
    I highly doubt that.

Actually, since its only one building I bet shit is less likely to be blown up.

The Karkand maps have way more destructibility than the originals.
    DICE already said that in the CQC maps a TON of shit is destructible. I bet you can tear down everything but the outer walls and some "main" stuff.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg