As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Battlefield 3] LOCK PLEASE

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    heckels wrote: »
    It has a higher rate of fire on burst mode...and the recoil comes after the second round is fired so both hit the same spot...

Not technically correct, it's just that the first shot multiplier is unique on the AN-94 in that it has a very, very low multiplier that actually decreases the recoil of the second shot to half of what the standard round would be. Past that second round, the recoil is obnoxious.

In reality, yes, the second round gets out of the barrel before the force is transferred back through the rifle through a very complex recoil reduction system. In BF3, they limit it to a cyclical rate of 1200 RPM for the burst; the actual rifle is north of 1800 RPM.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    BTW, Close Quarters is going to be playable at PAX. From BF's facebook site:
    Heading to PAX East? We'll have a playable version of Close Quarters at the NVIDIA Freeplay and Tournament Area! If you're a Battlefield fan you're going to want to participate in the mini tournaments that will be hosted!

• Fri, 11am – 12 noon
    • Fri, 1pm – 2pm
    • Fri, 5pm – 6pm
    • Sat, 3pm – 4pm
    • Sun, 1pm – 2pm

Be one of the first to play Close Quarters and maybe even win a prize!

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Rub some petroleum jelly in your eyes to pretend like you're suppressed the entire time.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Flowchart it up.

Step 1) Is there a teammate in that building?
    Step 2) Do I have a weapon capable of destroying walls?
    Step 3) If yes, fuck that shit up.
    Step 4) If no, complain about suppression.

I feel it should be noted that the way shiashi utilizes this flow chart is: if Step 1 is yes then fire a rocket and drop the building on my teammate. Also I've been loving the AN-94 I like to flip it to full auto just before I enter buildings/close quarters. it's a beast on burst from a distance too, great gun.

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Played a few hours on the 360 post patch and it was immediately obvious that they had changed the suppression mechanic. But it really did not affect my play style nor did it hinder me. Just kept doing what I do. Also the changes to the vehicles and various ground to air gadgets seemed like a good thing. Then again I am sure it is quite different on a 64 player server. Maybe the game sold better on consoles then PC and DICE is balancing around 12v12? Either way still a game I intend to keep playing.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Tanks are a bit flimsy, but other than that the patch is good on PC. Suppression is fine.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    Better flimsy than occasionally going 100-2 from good players.

• Options
    wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tanks being too strong was never really the problem though. It was the welder. The welder can repair faster than a team of engineers could damage the tank.

Nerfing both just makes tanks laughable.

Also if you liked the m98 for close range recon don't even bother now.

wakkawa on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    wakkawa wrote: »
    Tanks being too strong was never really the problem though. It was the welder. The welder can repair faster than a team of engineers could damage the tank.

Nerfing both just makes tanks laughable.

Also if you liked the m98 for close range recon don't even bother now.

I agree with you on both points.

It takes too long to get a vehicle from disabled to ready now. Seriously takes like 45 seconds to go from 30% to 100% again, which is just silly. I feel like they looked at each thing that people were complaining about and addressed them individually, but they compounded too heavily when put together.

The faster bolts (namely the M40 and L96 as they have the fastest cycle times) are better at close range. The M98 is still the king of long-range derpcannoning since it's got the highest velocity and thus the least bullet drop, but the slower cycle and pathetic magazine/reload time make it mediocre at best for close-range XxXqUiicKsc0p3z420MLGXxX action. If the M98 still had the same chest multiplier of 1.25 as the other snipers, there'd still be no real reason to use anything but the Barrett.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Also get on for game times

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    the repair tool nerf also means less sparkler parties on missile proof party choppers.

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    The longer repair time gives me a chance to get behind a guy repairing his attack helo, knife him and than steal the chopper.

rRootagea - And the new instant kill with RPG/SMAW and unguided tank rounds on helo's means that they can't just repair and fly away after you made a great shot on them.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    Why does nobody play hardcore mode anymore? Servers are slim pickin's.

• Options
    SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    I play hardcore when I feel like sniping and being a lameass.

lagbagg.png
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    So how is Battlefield 3 on AMD Catalyst 12.3? Anyone running an ATI card?

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Mostly like the patch on the 360. Running the cover bonus all the time now. The UI is so much better now, probably closer to what you PC folk have enjoyed. It used to be a pain, and the indicators above the minimap rarely worked correctly. And hooray for being able to quit between matches!

I'm not sure xbox live is ready for renting servers though, there's a lot of shady stuff going on. I'm thinking there are assholes that kick everyone from the opposing team so they can get an easy win, three times in a row quick match threw me into 600-100 ticket blowouts where I was immediately kicked by the admin before I could even spawn. Or it could be they just kick any high level people off of the opposing team automatically. And I've had a few times where I killed the admin a couple times and got banned. Just generally immature shit.

Also I saw someone running around on his own server that wouldn't take any damage (i.e. three teammates standing around him shooting him point blank with shotguns doing nothing), I don't know what that's about. Might've been lag, but it would be the worst I've ever seen.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
  • Options
    Lizard Lounge in a nutshell.

m1UUR.png

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    GentlemanGiantGentlemanGiant Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    So how is Battlefield 3 on AMD Catalyst 12.3? Anyone running an ATI card?

Runs fine for me, no weird artifacts or bugs, got a 7970 with 12.3 drivers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Nickle wrote: »
    I'm not sure xbox live is ready for renting servers though, there's a lot of shady stuff going on.

Nah, I'm pretty sure crappy servers/powertripping admins is a standard practice across all systems.

• Options
    SquabmanSquabman Registered User regular
    My buddy has gotten kicked from 4 games tonight on Xbox. I have never gotten kicked from more than 1 server in a week. They are also making 7500 ticket servers. They have just been starved of power and now they are gorging on it until they burst.

Give them a week or two before they calm down.

lagbagg.png
  • Options
    Lame part about the rented server stuff is that it makes finding the official DICE servers in the browser list a giant pain in the ass. Seeing a lot of 8-10 player servers too. Don't really get that.

• Options
    BhaalenBhaalen Registered User regular
    Upgraded to a new comp recently, and I just can't get over how gorgeous this game is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqPGFqHmcaE

Be careful. Your productivity will drop if you click this link.
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Tanks are a bit flimsy, but other than that the patch is good on PC. Suppression is fine.

Says the guy who seems to benefit wildly from the patch. I watched you go 14k one round a night or two ago. The closest score was 8k, and next was 6k. The patch benefits your play style, but not everyone is you.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    Which is funny because people say it ruins his play style. Running around killing people, I believe is his play style.

• Options
    Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bhaalen wrote: »
    Upgraded to a new comp recently, and I just can't get over how gorgeous this game is.

So pretty...

Argh I'm completely CPU limited; stupid core2duo.

I can set it to low or ultra/high and it's always around 26-27fps. Just on the threshold of playing unplayable haha.

Ant000 on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular

Says the guy who seems to benefit wildly from the patch. I watched you go 14k one round a night or two ago. The closest score was 8k, and next was 6k. The patch benefits your play style, but not everyone is you.

Man, before the patch Shiashi's score per minute was like 850. He's always been insanely good at it.

On the other hand, my SPM has been going up steadily since the patch, because I play a lot smarter. You can't afford to be stupid and run ten metres into more cover in the middle of a shitfight now. I love this patch.

• Options
    BhaalenBhaalen Registered User regular
    I can't get over how awsome the L96 is at close range now. I don't always feel the need to pull the ol' pistol out now.

Be careful. Your productivity will drop if you click this link.
  • Options
    heckelsheckels Registered User regular
    woot colonel get!!! not a fan of the as val...
    app sent to col club...

heckels_zps9443e2b3.png
  • Options
    Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    Warcry wrote: »

Man, before the patch Shiashi's score per minute was like 850. He's always been insanely good at it.

On the other hand, my SPM has been going up steadily since the patch, because I play a lot smarter. You can't afford to be stupid and run ten metres into more cover in the middle of a shitfight now. I love this patch.

I think this is a great patch too. No, I don't want to be firing at someone and have them just turn and kill me. While this isn't a realistic game, only morons stick their head out from behind cover when they are being peppered by fire from an assault rifle. Fix and Flank is good fun, and this is making a bit of tactics like that possible. Plus, if you come under fire, it makes you scramble for cover. That's a good thing, IMO.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

My SPM has also been rising since the patch (although Im pretty sure my KDR has dropped) but I think that may be because its easier to get some of the ribbons now (and I also got a couple of 10k medals that I was close to getting prepatch).

I do think the patch has an adjusting period though and different people are going to adjust at different rates.

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Only had a chance to play with the new patch yesterday, and the changes are...interesting.

Really dislike the tank nerf, and can't really see why it was put in in the first place. The extra suppression is nice though, especially as a support guy.
    one question; were the proposed changes to the weapon attachments included in the patch?
    mulletude wrote:
    Lame part about the rented server stuff is that it makes finding the official DICE servers in the browser list a giant pain in the ass. Seeing a lot of 8-10 player servers too. Don't really get that.

Yeah this is really annoying.

101 on
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Oh snap, apparently I have the suppression medal now. I wonder if I got the points for it...I did get the dog tag.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    On the 360 I have been going through and adding all the official DICE servers to my favorite's list just so I do not have to wade through all the craptastic rented servers. The kick:finish ratio is still a tad on the stupid side for me to want to venture out into those particular wastelands.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I cant play the patch yet, do the consoles get the ability to have commands and say "thankyou" and stuff with the spot button now like in BF2? Cos goddamn we need it more than the PC guys.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    I love how last night I have like an all time match and lead the team on grand bazarr conquest. Just was in the flow. Felt great.
    And immediatly following bf3 crashes to shit and will not allow play to continue. I almost had a counterstrike style jump over the enemy 180 spin shotgun to the face, but I totes whiffed it. And zeb (or who ever was above highway with me) saw the whole sorry thing. The embarassment was strong.

Shotgun medic for life- If the saiga doesnt finish the group- the 1911 will. And I can rez and heal up to boot. So good.

I did rail gun headshot 2 snipers at once on firestorm before the crash. That was nice.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Saiga and DAO12 are both actually worth a damn now. Yet to try the M0141 or whatever its name is

• Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    I cant play the patch yet, do the consoles get the ability to have commands and say "thankyou" and stuff with the spot button now like in BF2? Cos goddamn we need it more than the PC guys.

I don't think so. Same as usual. "I need some fucking ammo, man!" as you chase a support around.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Gah why the hell would they make it for the PC and not consoles? I saw a screenshot of it somewhere, is it on pc?

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Saiga and DAO12 are both actually worth a damn now. Yet to try the M0141 or whatever its name is

The dao and the M1410 are great. But they fall to the might of the saiga in reloads. Clip vs one at a time. And the dao is the worst offender as its sooooooo slow.

Now some one (rymes with heihachi) will come along and tell you that Topping off one or two at a time is better than clip loading. While they are topping off, my 1911 is barking fury at my enemys. Suppose to each thier own.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    mojojoeo wrote: »

The dao and the M1410 are great. But they fall to the might of the saiga in reloads. Clip vs one at a time. And the dao is the worst offender as its sooooooo slow.

Now some one (rymes with heihachi) will come along and tell you that Topping off one or two at a time is better than clip loading. While they are topping off, my 1911 is barking fury at my enemys. Suppose to each thier own.

M1014

magazines

I am not a Tekken character

u4OkoEI.png