As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video Game Industry Thread: February part II is done, go to the next thread

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote: »
    Oh god, Webrings...

Also... When did Dante become part angel?

Since he wanted to fill your dark s- okay I can't use that line twice in a row. So, I'll leave it at, "Ever since retcons became okay to do willy-nilly."

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Just got a phone call from GeoTrust saying that they couldn't verify my XNA account's identity because I use hotmail. Apparently Microsoft Hotmail isn't good enough for a Microsoft XNA account.

You could create a forwarding address from the zeboyd domain using Google Apps. I think it's still free.

• TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Mukk wrote: »
    If they want to sell that much they should have a PC release. If that game doesn't have an autolock for ranged attacks I'm not buying it (on a console). I'm absolutely horrible at aiming with sticks, it feels so clumsy.

Wait, what?

There's not going to be a PC version?

What. the. fuck?

I think Capcom would prefer to be done with the console release. If they need the sales, the PC version is mandatory. It could probable better if it came with the patches.

For all the stupid shit Capcom does, their PC ports this generation have been pretty damn solid. I expect a Dragon's Dogma port 3-6 months after release.

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Now I want all zeboyd coverage of the RSPD to be on a geocities site with bad scans from a japanese magazine.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Now I want all zeboyd coverage of the RSPD to be on a geocities site with bad scans from a japanese magazine.

I wish GeoCities still existed. :(

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So apparently there was a Dragon Age II expansion that died an early death. Was named "Exalted March"

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    "We already know that Dante is half angel and half demon, and has been described as a “street brawler,” due to having grown up on the streets and fending for himself. Now, we also know that he spent the majority of his youth in various institutions, orphanages, youth correction facilities and foster homes. The catch is, most of these were run by demons and usually involved torture of some sort.
    As a result, Dante has grown up with no respect for society and authority, and a hatred of demons in particular, despite being half-demon himself. Capcom say that Dante takes the side of the underdog in what he sees as an unfair society."[/url]

It's like I'm really reading really bad fan fiction.

...demons have nothing better to do than run orphanages?

Got a link to the dead DAII expansion? I wouldn't be surprised there were some that died; I get the feeling that game was a sales disappointment. Generally you can find it used cheaper than the first game.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    "We already know that Dante is half angel and half demon, and has been described as a “street brawler,” due to having grown up on the streets and fending for himself. Now, we also know that he spent the majority of his youth in various institutions, orphanages, youth correction facilities and foster homes. The catch is, most of these were run by demons and usually involved torture of some sort.
    As a result, Dante has grown up with no respect for society and authority, and a hatred of demons in particular, despite being half-demon himself. Capcom say that Dante takes the side of the underdog in what he sees as an unfair society."[/url]

Do you know the kind of tax deductions an orphanage would pull in?

Demons might be evil bastards, but they aren't stupid.

Got a link to the dead DAII expansion? I wouldn't be surprised there were some that died; I get the feeling that game was a sales disappointment. Generally you can find it used cheaper than the first game.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    Oh god, Webrings...

Also... When did Dante become part angel?

Since he wanted to fill your dark s- okay I can't use that line twice in a row. So, I'll leave it at, "Ever since retcons became okay to do willy-nilly."

No, it's since he questioned what he was fighting for when he was a robot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LISmPmdUhYA

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dark Souls PC basically confirmed

died.png

And I bought a fucking ps3 for this game!

EVOL on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

They said that there was a fixed team size and the expansion was taking up people for other shit.
    Team sizes are relatively fixed. For us to continue working on the Expansion, we had to have people not working on... something else.

Couscous on
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote:
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Allforce wrote: »
    Someone posted a nice light-on-spoilers synopsis a few pages back when I asked. I think it boiled down to "all your choices through 3 games really mean nothing, Pick A, B, or C to continue on for your ending".

It's not a big deal when deus ex (any of the three two games) do it, but Mass Effect people go all crazy batshit.

To be fair, there is a significant investment in the Mass Effect universe. I created my Shepard, the choices made were mine, and I've been that Shepard for five years now. To say that people are all crazy batshit over a game is to ignore the emotional attachment to the fiction that Bioware itself wanted to create.

There is also the small fact that Bioware themselves said the ending wouldn't be like that.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/01/10/mass1525-effect-3-cas5ey-fdsafdhudson-interviewae.aspx?PostPageIndex=2
    Yeah, and I’d say much more so, because we have the ability to build the endings out in a way that we don’t have to worry about eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we’re taking into account so many decisions that you’ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.

And? Most entertainment is built on empty promises. But the promises Bioware made in selling the game through retail channels (you'd get a working game called Mass Effect 3) were followed through with. All services promised in the selling of the game were rendered. That you did not like the ending is fine. Returning the game you've played all the way through? Odd to me, but it's your game. Heading to the BBB and FTC about it? Completely backwards. The game works, people just didn't like how the story ended.

If this was a real problem, so many more products would be up on the firing line.

Note, they specifically said they killed the expansion to work on "the next thing" in the Dragon Age franchise. So, probably 3.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »

died.png

Lucky for you the PS3 has a bunch of other awesome games. Like Demon's Souls.

died.png

Yeah, pretty much. Fighting games are awesome!

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular

died.png

If only Capcom wasn't pussyfooting around with MvC and TvSF. I'm sticking with Soul Calibur, and am interested in Skullgirls and Persona Arena for my fighting game needs.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote: »

died.png

If only Capcom wasn't pussyfooting around with MvC and TvSF. I'm sticking with Soul Calibur, and am interested in Skullgirls and Persona Arena for my fighting game needs.

Did you play mortal kombat? In addition to being a lot of fun in multiplayer, it also has the most engrossing singleplayer campaign of any fighting game ever.

Also one of the most frustrating, annoying ass boss battle I've ever encountered in a fighting game.

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    MK 9 has a surprisingly fun singleplayer, but I don't know about best.

World Tour mode from SFA3 or even the interesting SSBB story mode outdoes it for me.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576

died.png

Did you play mortal kombat? In addition to being a lot of fun in multiplayer, it also has the most engrossing singleplayer campaign of any fighting game ever.

Yeah, it blew me away how good MK was. It was both a return to form and innovative for the franchise. Man, it even had nods to the (first) movie.

edited March 2012

died.png

Eh, never really touched sp content in fighting games if the online and gameplay are solid. It's one of the main reasons I like Soulcalibur V so much. That, and MK has no chance in hell coming over here.

EVOL on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    BlazBlue has a surprisingly robust, if anime confusing, story mode.

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    tatsunoko v. Capcom is the best crossover game they have done this generation.

edited March 2012
    Maddoc wrote: »
    BlazBlue has a surprisingly robust, if anime confusing, story mode.

I have a copy of Extend sitting there, mocking me, because no matter how much I do Training and Practice (and yes they are two different things), I wont be able to land a hit on anybody online. This game has the toughest footsies ever. And while BlazBlue's story can be confusing, it's light years ahead of Guilty Gear:

Sol: Get out of my way.
    Chipp: No, YOU get out of MY way!
    *HEAVEN OR HELL, LETS ROCK!*

After Senior Design is done I'll finish the story, make no mistake. Unless Skullgirls sucks me in.

Cantido on
  • Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular
    I must be one of the weird ones that enjoyed Dragon Age II more than Origins. But then, I liked Final Fantasy VIII more than VII and caught plenty of heat for that, so.

What I didn't enjoy was dealing with the numerous bugs that seem to plague this series. Thankfully most of them have been fixed, but as a PS3 user it now seems unlikely that there'll be another patch in the future to address the remaining issues.

Between the critical backlash of Dragon Age II and the expansion cancellation, the tanking subscriptions of TOR and the whining over Mass Effect 3's ending, I imagine being affiliated with Bioware is probably a dangerous occupation at the moment.

edited March 2012
    I must be one of the weird ones that enjoyed Dragon Age II more than Origins. But then, I liked Final Fantasy VIII more than VII and caught plenty of heat for that, so.

What I didn't enjoy was dealing with the numerous bugs that seem to plague this series. Thankfully most of them have been fixed, but as a PS3 user it now seems unlikely that there'll be another patch in the future to address the remaining issues.

Between the critical backlash of Dragon Age II and the expansion cancellation, the tanking subscriptions of TOR and the whining over Mass Effect 3's ending, I imagine being affiliated with Bioware is probably a dangerous occupation at the moment.

They must have some of the worst PR out of any dev I've seen since... well, ever.

EVOL on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

Does anyone have any numbers more recent than the financial report right after DA2 came out?

steam_sig.png
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:

Does anyone have any numbers more recent than the financial report right after DA2 came out?

Q4 2011 (Dragon Age II release): http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1740986237x0x464980/27422149-8551-4437-b843-7ff72e381473/Q4 FY Press Release with Press Tables.pdf

Q1 2012: http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/1740986237x0x485895/defa6d06-9122-49bd-8bcb-c20a71076abf/Q1 FY12 Earnings Release 7.26.11 FINAL.PDF

Puts Dragon Age 2 and Dead Space 2 at somewhere over two million. Crysis 2 went from 2 million in one quarter to 3 million in the next.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.

died.png

Eh, never really touched sp content in fighting games if the online and gameplay are solid. It's one of the main reasons I like Soulcalibur V so much. That, and MK has no chance in hell coming over here.

No I understand, no one ever touches the single player modes in fighting games because they're usually worthless. Mortal Kombat is not. The old MK games were very much known for their complex, but surprisingly compelling story that surrounded them. Back in the old days, to get the story, you had to beat the game as all the characters, read all the comics and stuff that came out, read the manuals, watched intros, etc. But if you did all that, you pieced together this ridiculous story about ancient wizards and cyborg assassins, and certain characters had incredibly complex rivalries going on, particularly the story between Sub Zero and Scorpion.

The new MK includes a 5-8 hour long campaign comprising a retelling of this entire story, only done properly with cutscenes that weave in and out of the gameplay. It's really well done and worth playing through. The story has all the pomp and budget of just about any other big blockbuster game out there. Have a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ScfdZSgWbc

MK is by far my favorite fighting game this generation. Aside from all this incredible packaging, the actual game is very fun to play. Its popularity just took a huge hit because of the poor netcode, and PSN going down for like a month the day after it launched. But I would actually recommend importing it to play it, it's that good of a game.

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular

died.png

Fuck yes. It's a good time to have a decent gaming rig, brothers!

./massive glee

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
    MK 9 has a surprisingly fun singleplayer, but I don't know about best.

World Tour mode from SFA3 or even the interesting SSBB story mode outdoes it for me.

I love that you included SSBB, because I never see anybody praise SSE mode. I absolutely adored it, and for me, it was the main game. I bought SSBB to play SSE mode, and I thought it was fantastic. I will say, however, that the main game mechanics were pretty different from normal fighting mode. With SSE, it feels more like they turned a fighting game into a platformer (which is basically what they did). Thus, I view it as a completely different kind of single player game entirely. But if we are going to judge them against each other, than I'd consider MK to be 1A and SSBB to be 1B.

I'm not sure why you like World Tour mode in SFA3 better, but I put MK's cinematic story above just because the story it told really gripped me. I'd imagine that, if you didn't actually get into the story, you might not like it as much. I was a die hard MK fan when the games were new, though, and I knew the stories like the back of my hand. A big part of the story to me was the ways it changed. I'm still not happy with what happened to Sub Zero, but I can't say I didn't love watching it.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    MK vs DC was the same was. Also, I consider MK's story mode to be the right way to tell a story like it. While you may not play as every character, you will see/interact/fight everyone so you could see how they play. SC5 was VERY disappointing in that regard.
    You never saw half the roster and you even had a companion that only speaks but you never fight (that magic using girl, which would be nice to see that in action).

newSig.jpg
  • EddEdd Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I was a die hard MK fan when the games were new, though, and I knew the stories like the back of my hand. A big part of the story to me was the ways it changed. I'm still not happy with what happened to Sub Zero, but I can't say I didn't love watching it.

I loved how they handled Motaro. He would appear in the corner of the frame for a split second, once or twice, almost stationary. Then you would see him in battle. From a great distance away. And then he would die instantly.

When finally you see a full shot of him, it's his dead body being carted in, to the bad guys' enormous shock and horror, cause like, apparently they really needed that guy who never did or said anything. It was such a transparent dodge of having to actually conceptualize and credibly execute that character that it really, truly felt like deliberate self-parody. There was B movie charm all over it, just as there should be.

Edd on
    edited March 2012
    Edd wrote: »
    I was a die hard MK fan when the games were new, though, and I knew the stories like the back of my hand. A big part of the story to me was the ways it changed. I'm still not happy with what happened to Sub Zero, but I can't say I didn't love watching it.

I loved how they handled Motaro. He would appear in the corner of the frame for a split second, once or twice, almost stationary. Then you would see him in battle. From a great distance away. And then he would die instantly.

When finally you see a full shot of him, it's his dead body being carted in, to the bad guys' enormous shock and horror, cause like, apparently they really needed that guy who never did or said anything. It was such a transparent dodge of having to actually conceptualize and credibly execute that character that it really, truly felt like deliberate self-parody. There was B movie charm all over it, just as there should be.

My favorite part of the game is the end of MK1, which is exactly the same as it was originally, only a bit more fleshed out. Most people never liked him, but I always thought Liu Kang was a badass. The most badass kung fu expert on earth, he beat up demons and shit and saved the planet. He was my main in MK3. I love the presentation in the new MK. When Liu Kang challenges Shang Tsung, it's so appropriately cheesy and epic. And when Raiden bows to Liu Kang. Awesome.

EDIT: ALSO, I love that it finally showed Quan Chi's involvement in the original trilogy. He was sort of retconnec in after MK3, but he's pretty much the main villain in the entire series, and he was given a lot of shit to do during the original games (and before) in his backstory for MK4 and MK: Mythologies. To see them worked into the original story just makes him feel more significant, which goes a long way towards establishing a really good villain. And it makes what's going to happen in the next MK seem less out of the blue, with more build up.

TheSonicRetard on
    Oh god, Soul Calibur V's story mode backslided badly. Soul-fucking-Calibur is evil, and the main heroine fetishizes weak williled, timid females, and Pat is a douche. Just get online and don't look back.

• EddEdd Registered User regular
    Edd wrote: »

My favorite part of the game is the end of MK1, which is exactly the same as it was originally, only a bit more fleshed out. Most people never liked him, but I always thought Liu Kang was a badass. The most badass kung fu expert on earth, he beat up demons and shit and saved the planet. He was my main in MK3. I love the presentation in the new MK. When Liu Kang challenges Shang Tsung, it's so appropriately cheesy and epic. And when Raiden bows to Liu Kang. Awesome.

EDIT: ALSO, I love that it finally showed Quan Chi's involvement in the original trilogy. He was sort of retconnec in after MK3, but he's pretty much the main villain in the entire series, and he was given a lot of shit to do during the original games (and before) in his backstory for MK4 and MK: Mythologies. To see them worked into the original story just makes him feel more significant, which goes a long way towards establishing a really good villain. And it makes what's going to happen in the next MK seem less out of the blue, with more build up.

Yeah, I have to say that I found the continuity surprisingly involving for that reason. I appreciated the implication that the MK1 I played was only ever a very small glimpse of the entirety of what took place, and so I welcomed the notion of Quan Chi skulking about in the margins.

I really give that story mode a hell of a lot of credit for knowing precisely how and when to take itself seriously.

• LegendofLinkLegendofLink Registered User regular
    Compared to most of the stuff that's out there, SSBB's story mode is leagues ahead of plenty of things. Just don't tell the diehard smash fans that. To a large portion of the community, Brawl is a casual-fueled abomination that has ruined the franchise forever, and any mention of some of the good things about the game is a sure-fire way to start a flame war that will eventually devolve into a Melee vs Brawl slugfest.

edited March 2012
    So I just wanted to say 2 things, Re: Professor Layton and the Last Spectre.

1. I beat every main game puzzles and challenge puzzles, without looking anything up online and without using a single hint coin. I feel awesome.
    2. FUCK FUCKING SLIDING BLOCK FUCKING PUZZLES! I swear I if I ever see another one of those fuckers, I'll injure myself. The worst thing is after doing every other puzzle in the game, I wind up with a hard-ass sliding block puzzle. I complete it, and the game fucking sliding cock-blocks me by making it a two part puzzle with the hardest sliding puzzle I have ever experienced as part 2. I nearly threw my 3DS at a wall. Took me forever to beat that one.

Undead Scottsman on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh god, Soul Calibur V's story mode backslided badly. Soul-fucking-Calibur is evil, and the main heroine fetishizes weak williled, timid females, and Pat is a douche. Just get online and don't look back.

One correction. Soul Calibur has been evil for a while.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    The actual sword, or the series? I thought Soul Calibur was the "good" sword

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
This discussion has been closed.