As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

books

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I'm thinkin' a book a month. And it's not like we'll punish non-finishers.

(Except I'll totally tattoo 'can't read good' on your butt if you don't finish)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    It's not like I'd notice.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I would love to join a book club with you esteemed peeps, but I fear I do not have the time.

Also, I would likely humiliate myself with a billion faux pas in every post and somehow turn to objectivism and cultural relativism as my only line of argumentative defence, e.i. reductio ad neener neener.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    hmmm

how come? what put you so violently off him?

(i'm reading The Sound and The Fury on and off, shank recommended it to me, it's also pretty great)

formal experimentation of the 'leave quotation marks out' type or even stream of consciousness writing have always struck me as jejune and not actually accomplishing much

even in the case with someone like faulkner (i read as i lay dying) where it tells a whole story and every word is useful, it's such a bloody-minded cynical worldview that i want to vomit

for what it's worth, I concur

though this didn't stop me from stealing from faulkner for a collage piece I wrote a little while back

say what you will about his literary importance

dude had chops

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You made a collage with this guys' chops?

I'm just imagining a meaty assortment now, like a continental meat platter, @Shorty.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    what makes Faulkner work for me is that he's using these techniques to try and put you inside the head of his characters

like, if he's using stream-of-consciousness, it's not his own consciousness that you're getting the stream of. it's the world as it appears to someone else entirely. which is a much more impressive feat to me than just sitting down and making bullshit up

i'm going on a whole american-literature kick at the moment, reading twain and faulkner and mccarthy and all sorts of people, it's been a wild ride

• Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    A book a month sounds pretty swell. Rotating genres, maybe? A vote for the next book every month?

• Options
    zen-zen- Registered User regular
    I'd love to keep up with a book club on here. I very rarely find books that I enjoy, and the last few that I have were from various people in this thread talking about them! So count me in.

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I would be totally up for an SE++ book club!

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    You made a collage with this guys' chops?

I'm just imagining a meaty assortment now, like a continental meat platter, @Shorty.

have a little respect

clearly it would have to be barbecue

pulled Faulkner on a roll with some 'slaw

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    List a book, I will read it. I will discuss it happily.

Because I am in one of those rare moments where I'm looking at my bookshelf (admittedly filled with mostly fantasy) and I'm going "meh". I need something new to gnaw on.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    what makes Faulkner work for me is that he's using these techniques to try and put you inside the head of his characters

like, if he's using stream-of-consciousness, it's not his own consciousness that you're getting the stream of. it's the world as it appears to someone else entirely. which is a much more impressive feat to me than just sitting down and making bullshit up

i'm going on a whole american-literature kick at the moment, reading twain and faulkner and mccarthy and all sorts of people, it's been a wild ride

Yeah, it is impressive.

the problem for me is that the characters are assholes and the world they see is also an asshole

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I'll join the book club, why not

I already have too much to read as is, how much worse can it get

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So, @Cilla Black volunteered to help me make this thing happen. We're gonna work out the starting-off point and then ask people to submit their interest to us via PM, I think! Tentatively? Anyway, people who are interested, start mulling over the ONE SINGLE BOOK you think we should start off by reading.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Pharezon wrote: »
    The disappearing virtual library
    The shutdown of library.nu is creating a virtual showdown between would-be learners and the publishing industry.

Any thoughts on this?

The key quote out of the whole thing is: "Why doesn't the publishing industry want these consumers? For one thing, the US and European book-buying libraries have been willing pay the prices necessary to keep the industry happy - and not just happy, in many cases obscenely profitable."

I think ultimately it comes down to scholars deciding how interested they are in actual discourse, in which case they should find a way to involve as many people in the conversation as is possible and find a way to share their thoughts and ideas that's not gated behind a money wall. I think the drive to publish and get tenure and build a reputation leads to people looking out for their own self-interest instead of some kind of greater academic community's interest. That's purely an outsider's perspective though, I could be wrong.

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular

Yeah, it is impressive.

the problem for me is that the characters are assholes and the world they see is also an asshole

Oh, I have a different category for this

Included in that category: Catcher in the Rye, Perdido Street Station, The Awakening

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Book club stuff! Please to be reading:

The follow awesome people have expressed their interest in the book club.

@Zonugal
    @Janson
    @lostwords
    @Oghulk
    @Blake T
    @Crimson King
    @bowtiedseal
    @RubberAC
    @smof
    @Legba
    @zen-
    @Solar
    @Syphyre
    @Straightzi

If you are still interested, please PM me with verification of this interest and one book recommendation. Stuff that is freely available on multiple ebook markets is probably ideal.

If you aren't mentioned, but are still interested, then just follow the same instructions. A week from today is the cutoff day, we will finalize stuff very shortly after that and post it up. Me and @Lost Salient are still working out how best to organize a book list for people to vote on from suggestions, and if you guys have any suggestions for that, please also don't hesitate to say. This is going to be fun you guys! :)

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Oh when I say "freely available" I didn't literally mean free. That would narrow our selection way too much. Just that if people want to grab books on their various devices, it would make things easier. Right now we've had a couple people express that they'd prefer to avoid fantasy and science fiction for the books, but for right now, just suggest something your interested in. Just keep that in mind, I suppose.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Usagi wrote: »
    Usagi wrote: »
    All this ME stuff has me jonesing to read the Foundation books again

man. i was gonna write about stanislaw lem but it seems like isaac asimov is just comin' up from the rear, considering nemesis and foundation an' i robot and such

Oh man, Solaris would be fabulous too

Human/non-human communication as a theme has always fascinated me
    yeah

this is what my essay is about, somewhat

you should read the larry niven story 'the fourth profession'

The description is intriguing! Having a hard time finding a copy/e-copy but I'll persevere

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I'm reading the Hunger Games right now

They're pretty decent teen lit and they're basically Baby's First Dystopian Fiction

I'm not surprised they're popular

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I am still totes interested in book club

But I need to further narrow down my suggestions for it

• Options
    No worries, take your time. Still a full week left.

• Options
    I think it might be cool if we try and vary up the books

Some people prefer sci-fi and fantasy, and others prefer other stuff

If we mixed things up, then people could get introduced to stuff they would never have read in the past, and that's good

• Options
    Agreed, and ultimately voting is going to decide what we choose month to month, but for the first month we could go with something different than fantasy/sci-fi.

• Options
    Well I have recommended mine!

I wonder what people will suggest though

• Options
    Do we want to go for modern stuff or "classics" here?

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I hadn't been terribly active in SE++ - but I'd love to join in on a book club. I always say I should read more, this would force my hand.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I started reading Stasiland the other day

It's really interesting! Also kinda scary just how much power the Stasi wielded.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    I'd ike to go back and forth between classics and our usual sci-fi/fantasy. Though I prefer the latter, I'd like to get more knowledgeable about the former, and read some of those classics I never got around to.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Maybe we could say once we've read something of a genre, no more books from that genre for 3 months, or x number of months or whatever.

As for book ideas, I am paralysed by the fear of making a suggestion that is deemed crap, so I can't think of anything right now.

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    even though I worked in a bookstore for more than a year and my job was recommending books to people, I get nervous about recommending stuff to people with good taste. with customers, most people just wanted something to read that was like twilight. no one ever bought 2666, even though it was on my staff recommendation display forever :(

and I am made more nervous by the fact I'll be suggesting a book I haven't read, so can't vouch for it personally!

• Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    How bout starting a pm thread for the recommendations of books from interested parties, so we can see each others suggestions, instea of each person sending out suggestions to Cilla or lost salient?

Also I'm kinda burnt out on fantasy/scifi stuff, so I agree with the no stuff in those genres sentiment. I propose we just do effin magical realism all day errday

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    how do people feel about historical non-fiction? looks like that is most of my to-read stuff, but I don't know how well that genre lends itself to discussion!

• Options
    I think that the most important thing shouldn't be strictly 'is it the right genre,' but should be whether or not you think we could have a good discussion about the book.

And lost, as far as a big PM thread for sharing recommendations goes, I think the issue would be compiling recommendations and voting on them if we make it a big open discussion right off the bat. If we have to make a list of people and their book choices first, and then we can just send out a big "here's what we're picking from" list like a poll.

Of course, I am presently running on four hours of sleep, so I could be wrong.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    There's a bunch of historical non-fiction I still want to read, like Blood Works and The Poisoner's Handbook, so I'm open to the idea. But at the same time, it would be nice with an easy read right now, as I'm a bit swamped with work and studies. But that may not be the point of a book club! I don't know, I've never been in one before!

Legba on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Split the difference, read slipstream

Historical alternate world fiction, bam

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm down for anything, but I'm really interested in psychological kinda stuff right now. I'll try and find a book for the recommendation list later tonight when I'm not busy though.

• Options
    Legba wrote: »
    There's a bunch of historical non-fiction I still want to read, like Blood Works and The Poisoner's Handbook, so I'm open to the idea. But at the same time, it would be nice with an easy read right now, as I'm a bit swamped with work and studies. But that may not be the point of a book club! I don't know, I've never been in one before!

I haven't read Blood Work yet (if we're talking about the same book) but The Poisoner's Handbook is not a tough read.

Also I for one will not be voting for In Search of Lost Time, but that's a personal preference.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Based on "Oh my god it's how long?"

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    Alright I flipped a coin. My vote is in.

This discussion has been closed.