Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Mass Effect] SPOILER ALL ME3 DISCUSSION. EVERY SINGLE BIT. EVEN HINTS.

1747577798099

Posts

  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard Registered User regular
    Ashdrake wrote: »
    ending spoiler
    I am mostly fine with the end. Robot god space magic doesn't really bug me, but the Normandy bit does. I really hope we get a dlc that explains that whole scene. Perhaps a Normandy vs Harbinger bit. Really hope bio does not give in to the massive demands for a sunshine and lollypops ending.

    That's how I feel about it as well.
    Just completely cut the scene with Joker fleeing and crashing and the rest of the ending would have been fine with me.

    Though I do think it would have been even better without Catalyst, I still don't really mind Catalyst, either.

    Tube wrote: »
    last week my roommate (who had never played games until last year) was in the middle of a marathon Mass Effect session and tried to ask if I wanted to go and get coffee. It came out as "how are you on ammo?".
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Once you level up a Quarian Infiltrator you can get a spectre pack every round and still have around 15k left. I mean you might get bored of playing the same class every game versus the same enemies every game, but it's good for unlocks.

    I'm guessing you basically go to Gold and set the enemies to Geth then abuse sabotage?

  • AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Ashdrake wrote: »
    ending spoiler
    I am mostly fine with the end. Robot god space magic doesn't really bug me, but the Normandy bit does. I really hope we get a dlc that explains that whole scene. Perhaps a Normandy vs Harbinger bit. Really hope bio does not give in to the massive demands for a sunshine and lollypops ending.

    That's how I feel about it as well.
    Just completely cut the scene with Joker fleeing and crashing and the rest of the ending would have been fine with me.

    Though I do think it would have been even better without Catalyst, I still don't really mind Catalyst, either.
    I am really hoping the joker bit is a sneak peak for dlc. I don't want it gone, just expanded on. This could be done without affecting the end of shepards story. It could go over how your ground team got on the ship and why they are hauling ass through a relay. It would also be a great time to let us kick harbingers ass. Cause fuck that guy.

    I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • Skull2185Skull2185 It's like that portal has bad guy diarrhea... Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Ashdrake wrote: »
    ending spoiler
    I am mostly fine with the end. Robot god space magic doesn't really bug me, but the Normandy bit does. I really hope we get a dlc that explains that whole scene. Perhaps a Normandy vs Harbinger bit. Really hope bio does not give in to the massive demands for a sunshine and lollypops ending.

    That's how I feel about it as well.
    Just completely cut the scene with Joker fleeing and crashing and the rest of the ending would have been fine with me.

    Though I do think it would have been even better without Catalyst, I still don't really mind Catalyst, either.

    So...
    Does all synthetic life get killed and all mass relays get blown up no matter what you do?(I destroyed the crucible/catalyst) I was fine with the scene with Joker and The Normandy(Really, the whole ending) because I assume the ship was going down because EDI was gone.

    7axIZVY.jpg
  • AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Ashdrake wrote: »
    ending spoiler
    I am mostly fine with the end. Robot god space magic doesn't really bug me, but the Normandy bit does. I really hope we get a dlc that explains that whole scene. Perhaps a Normandy vs Harbinger bit. Really hope bio does not give in to the massive demands for a sunshine and lollypops ending.

    That's how I feel about it as well.
    Just completely cut the scene with Joker fleeing and crashing and the rest of the ending would have been fine with me.

    Though I do think it would have been even better without Catalyst, I still don't really mind Catalyst, either.

    So...
    Does all synthetic life get killed and all mass relays get blown up no matter what you do?(I destroyed the crucible/catalyst) I was fine with the scene with Joker and The Normandy(Really, the whole ending) because I assume the ship was going down because EDI was gone.

    no to 1 and yes to 2

    I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I figured character unlocks would stop after hitting max appearance customization options (lights), not just max level. Or does it keep happening even if you've got the lights unlocked.
    You can still get characters even after you have all the appearance options; there is still an EXP bonus associated with the cards.

    Currently Playing:
    Crusader Kings 2, FTL, X-COM: Enemy Within, Various Boardgames
    GT/Twitter: Tanith 6227
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Wappadu wrote: »
    I liked the ending more than the battle for Earth.
    I was hoping/expecting a ME2 suicide mission writ large. Tough choices about which war asset would be tasked with various objectives, situations where I'm obviously sending a longtime friend to their death, and the potential for unintended consequences as random events force me to change the game plan mid-mission.

    That would have added so much replayability for me. What if I would have had the Salarians for this task? Would the Quarians have been able to evacuate that Turian force if I hadn't let the Geth slaughter them? Maybe asking the Rachni and Krogan to hold that front together was a bad idea with friendly fire turned on.

    So many interesting possibilities, regardless of what happened later on the Citadel. I really thought they were setting this type of gameplay up earlier during the chess match with new Kelly...Traynor is it? Ah well.
    So much of this. If I was disappointed with anything in this game, it was this.
    Yeah.
    I would have liked concrete results from my choices instead of abstracting everything into Galactic Readiness. Made what was otherwise an exceedingly personal game feel impersonal.

    Yet another dissapointing facet of the endgame that makes me think it was straight up kotor 2'd.

  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Ashdrake wrote: »
    ending spoiler
    I am mostly fine with the end. Robot god space magic doesn't really bug me, but the Normandy bit does. I really hope we get a dlc that explains that whole scene. Perhaps a Normandy vs Harbinger bit. Really hope bio does not give in to the massive demands for a sunshine and lollypops ending.

    That's how I feel about it as well.
    Just completely cut the scene with Joker fleeing and crashing and the rest of the ending would have been fine with me.

    Though I do think it would have been even better without Catalyst, I still don't really mind Catalyst, either.

    So...
    Does all synthetic life get killed and all mass relays get blown up no matter what you do?(I destroyed the crucible/catalyst) I was fine with the scene with Joker and The Normandy(Really, the whole ending) because I assume the ship was going down because EDI was gone.

    Ending stuff
    Synthetic life survives in Control and Synthesis. In fact, I'm not even sure synthetic life is completely boned in the destroy ending, since Catalyst hints that Shep will die, too (since she's partially synthetic), but she doesn't.

    However, in every ending the mass relays are destroyed and Joker crashes on some planet that is not earth. I have been expecting the destruction of the mass relays since ME1. The thing with Joker is just weird, though. Because why not crash on earth? He was right there! (or shoulda been)

    Cambiata on
    Tube wrote: »
    last week my roommate (who had never played games until last year) was in the middle of a marathon Mass Effect session and tried to ask if I wanted to go and get coffee. It came out as "how are you on ammo?".
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Folks are missing literally the best part of the Paragon ending:
    Shepard ASSUMES DIRECT CONTROL over every Reaper in the galaxy forever.

    manwiththemachinegun on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    OH MY GOD..... :C :C :C
    You just made me realise that I made it so that The Quarian fleet will never get to see their newly reobtained homeworld...

    I feel like such a dick now... :C
    they can, though.
    conventional FTL drives.
    just look at how far the reapers got in 2 years: darkspace to the milky way.
    might be a bit longer as non-reaper ships might not be as fast and they will likely have to detour a bit for fuelling stops but other than that it's entirely feasible.
    Only problem with that is fuel. Reapers don't use fuel when they do FTL, they are also much faster than the fastest normal ship.

    Looking at the galaxy map, Rannoch is roughly 80,000 light years from Earth. No fucking way they have the fuel for that and even if they did, I seriously doubt any Quarian would see their home in their lifetime. Next generation maybe.

    That also doesn't count food. I'm not sure how many live ships were at the battle, but even if only a couple got destroyed, feeding the fleet would be insufficient, you'd have to allow some to die so the rest could live.

    The Quarians are generally fucked.

    and hey presto
    there's loads of reaper corpses lying around.
    i think they will be able to go home, it'll likely be an epic journey but still!
    Except for the fact where dead Reapers can still indoctrinate, sure.

    The only Quarians who will survive are the ones left behind on Rannoch.

    There just isn't enough fuel left. Also be aware that the Volus, Elco, Turians, Salarian, and Asari will want to go home too. So don't expect them to share fuel. Hypothetically, the Salarians, Asari, and Elcor could stay on Earth for a while, but the Volus need air to breath, and Turians/Quarians need food to eat and nothing on Earth would give useful nutrients.

    I'm sorry, but they are fucked.

    Ending stuff
    I'm going to assume that Catalyst is the mechanism responsible for indoctrination, and now that there is no Catalyst anymore, the reaper leftovers are perfectly safe.
    Yeah, it makes sense to me that they're truly and actually dead, so they're just giant corpses floating through space, waiting to be plundered.


    Either way, I also believe that the Quairans will survive. It may take them centuries to get to their homeworld, but they also may not have to, really. Turian colonies are sure to have food, and we know that some of these colonies even managed to repel Reaper invasion for a time, so they're not completely devastated. Salvage Reaper-tech for your drive core and you're golden.
    I don't know, none of this accounts for the fuel. All the fuel reserves inthe Sol system were destroyed. So no one could just leave right away. The closest colonies are just too far without fuel reserves.

    But hypothetically, say that the moment the war is over. The best and brightest mind work to rebuild the relays or reverse engineer reaper propulsion or rebuild their fuel stations, how would you maintain breath gas for the Volus and food for the Turians and Quarians? Even if all that happens in a timely manner, we would still see the deaths of many Volus, Turians, and Quarians.

    Even with Reaper tech, the journey isn't instant. Food and breathable gas would still be a factor.

  • KiasKias Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Etiowsa wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    On normal difficulty, a cloaked Infiltrator can kill a Harvester in two shots with the Black Widow.

    Crazy. Awesome.

    Also works on hardcore, btw.

    Anyway, I gotta ask a question about the ending:
    Was I the only one who got confused by the whole setup to the final battle? TIM figures out the citadel is the catalyst, tells the reapers, who then immediately take control of it and move it to earth for some reason. Like, why the hell would he even do that? He was going on about how the crucible is the key to controlling the reapers, so what did that accomplish? Yeah, he's indoctrinated obviously, so why can't I throw this obvious illogical thing in his face to prove he's brain fucked? Also, if taking the citadel was so easy, why would the reapers wait till TIM contacts them to do so? The whole endgame of 1 is about how the citadel is a focal point for the galactic community and taking it causes a massive disruption/demoralization effect and provides a bunch of useful intel, so why not do so if it's so damn easy? Then there's them dragging it to earth. I know narrative-wise, they wanted to make it the site of the final battle, but there's really no reason for them to take the citadel there. Just felt really contrived to me. Then the ending happened and I was just wtfing for a while. I'm kinda pissed that I sprung for the collectors edition, seeing as how I have no desire to replay the game.
    Answer:
    You can throw his lack of logic in TIM's indoctrinated face until he kills himself (provided you picked all the right options in your previous interactions).

    The Reapers dragged the Citadel back to Earth because that's where their fleet is strongest. Hackett brings that up. And they didn't do it before the end, because (presumably) sending a couple Reapers out there to drag it back costs resources that could otherwise be slurping up the organic material on Earth.
    Well, if you can give me a reason to go do gruntwork when you can otherwise be relaxing on your new ruinfront property, sipping up human puree, that isn't a superweapon that can kill you, I'd like to hear it.
    It took me a bit to parse that.
    I think you're asking for the reason why the Reapers didn't drag the Citadel to Earth (their power base) before TIM told them that Shepard et al was going to use it to blow them all up?

    Could be anything, really. They don't spell it out, but I could speculate: for the same reason you don't act on every planned enemy action if you're tapping their transmissions. You give away that you're listening. The Reapers (theoretically) don't know that Shepard et al is building the Nexus at first. Eventually, one assumes that they find out - but even so, it's only half of what's needed to defeat them. If the Reapers rush right out and grab the Citadel as soon as they hear about the superweapon, they're telegraphing exact what Shep needs to know.
    I kind of just repressed this for continuity's sake, but
    Wasn't the big thing about the citadel that it controlled the Mass Relays? So, in the previous cycle, the reapers grabbed it, and locked the Protheans off from one another. At first I was thinking, ok, Citadel is easy to defend so they are not bothering. But then, they yoink the thing and fly it to earth with no real mention of resistance and the only consequence is that Shepard needs to take another conduit ride to get back inside.

    That was my first indicataion that the ending was being rushed/forced, as it felt like they just bludgeoned the plot point back to earth with little regard to the story so far. I too would have really liked some more specific interaction between the finale and the allied forces Shepard puts together, as stacking an abstract number loses a lot of the personality and replayability of the finale (the actual endings are damn near identical anyhow). Would have been nice if the fleet had to make a push to protect/take back citadel before the final battle with earth or some such.

    I kind of just wish the Crucible turned the Citadel in to some kind of mobile super battle ship or something that could pop off Reapers as easy as they pop off human/council ships. This gives the organics a fighting chance without having to resort to a space magic win button.

    steam_sig.png

  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    War assests change two cutscenes
    Whether or not the fleet gets torn to shreds or kicks ass in the opening assault, and whether the Citadel burns Earth to cinders or just shuts off the Reapers.

    manwiththemachinegun on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte Registered User regular
    Kias wrote:
    I kind of just wish the Crucible turned the Citadel in to some kind of mobile super battle ship or something that could pop off Reapers as easy as they pop off human/council ships.
    1242200946061.jpg

  • TTODewbackTTODewback Your Wildest Dreams Out of the WoodsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    TTODewback wrote: »
    Once you level up a Quarian Infiltrator you can get a spectre pack every round and still have around 15k left. I mean you might get bored of playing the same class every game versus the same enemies every game, but it's good for unlocks.

    I'm guessing you basically go to Gold and set the enemies to Geth then abuse sabotage?
    Yeah if you do a quick match it usually puts you in a game with at least 2 other Quarian Infiltrators since everyone is doing it. I chose Duration Bonus, Explosive Hack bonus, and Berserk bonus. Shit goes down

    TTODewback on
    Herald of the Lizard Folk.
  • TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Multiplayer is still awesome.

    I think my personal favorites go like so:

    - Drell Adept (Consistently get ridiculous scores with Reave + Cluster Grenades)
    - Human Infiltrator (Easy to solo waves with Widow + Tactical Cloak)
    - Quarian Infiltrator (100% Heavy Melee + Tactical Cloak = hilarious)
    - Human Vanguard

    I still havent gotten Krogan Solder in either the Demo or the actual game, so take with a grain of salt; but Solider and Sentinel both seem really lame in comparison. Engineer can be fun, simply because you have the tools to take out any enemy, but pretty bland otherwise.

    The worst combination seems to be Asari Vanguard.

    I would love to see some DLC expanding on the MP maps, and adding some more character types like:
    Spoilering just in case people care about the DLC guy

    Geth Infiltrator, Solider, Engineer
    Batarian Solider, Sentinel, Engineer
    Volus Adept
    Prothean Adept, Vanguard, Sentinel

    Tejs on
  • kedinikkedinik Genjamin Franklin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Was MP stasis nerfed between the demo and this final build?

    Seemed more hilariously broken back then.

    e: Come to think of it, a few things that seemed meh back then now feel stupidly good.

    kedinik on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    OH MY GOD..... :C :C :C
    You just made me realise that I made it so that The Quarian fleet will never get to see their newly reobtained homeworld...

    I feel like such a dick now... :C
    they can, though.
    conventional FTL drives.
    just look at how far the reapers got in 2 years: darkspace to the milky way.
    might be a bit longer as non-reaper ships might not be as fast and they will likely have to detour a bit for fuelling stops but other than that it's entirely feasible.
    Only problem with that is fuel. Reapers don't use fuel when they do FTL, they are also much faster than the fastest normal ship.

    Looking at the galaxy map, Rannoch is roughly 80,000 light years from Earth. No fucking way they have the fuel for that and even if they did, I seriously doubt any Quarian would see their home in their lifetime. Next generation maybe.

    That also doesn't count food. I'm not sure how many live ships were at the battle, but even if only a couple got destroyed, feeding the fleet would be insufficient, you'd have to allow some to die so the rest could live.

    The Quarians are generally fucked.

    and hey presto
    there's loads of reaper corpses lying around.
    i think they will be able to go home, it'll likely be an epic journey but still!
    Except for the fact where dead Reapers can still indoctrinate, sure.

    The only Quarians who will survive are the ones left behind on Rannoch.

    There just isn't enough fuel left. Also be aware that the Volus, Elco, Turians, Salarian, and Asari will want to go home too. So don't expect them to share fuel. Hypothetically, the Salarians, Asari, and Elcor could stay on Earth for a while, but the Volus need air to breath, and Turians/Quarians need food to eat and nothing on Earth would give useful nutrients.

    I'm sorry, but they are fucked.

    Ending stuff
    I'm going to assume that Catalyst is the mechanism responsible for indoctrination, and now that there is no Catalyst anymore, the reaper leftovers are perfectly safe.
    Yeah, it makes sense to me that they're truly and actually dead, so they're just giant corpses floating through space, waiting to be plundered.


    Either way, I also believe that the Quairans will survive. It may take them centuries to get to their homeworld, but they also may not have to, really. Turian colonies are sure to have food, and we know that some of these colonies even managed to repel Reaper invasion for a time, so they're not completely devastated. Salvage Reaper-tech for your drive core and you're golden.
    I don't know, none of this accounts for the fuel. All the fuel reserves inthe Sol system were destroyed. So no one could just leave right away. The closest colonies are just too far without fuel reserves.

    But hypothetically, say that the moment the war is over. The best and brightest mind work to rebuild the relays or reverse engineer reaper propulsion or rebuild their fuel stations, how would you maintain breath gas for the Volus and food for the Turians and Quarians? Even if all that happens in a timely manner, we would still see the deaths of many Volus, Turians, and Quarians.

    Even with Reaper tech, the journey isn't instant. Food and breathable gas would still be a factor.
    people are projecting a fairy tale ending onto one that the writers of the game didn't even bother considering the implications of.

    I'm sure if we get any future plots the quarians and everything will be fine, but in logical in game terms, there's no way they're not doomed, along with what is surely the bulk of the survivors on earth.

    It's the same as the day the earth stood still (the newer one), the ending is seen as a victory when 3/4 of the earth's population relies on green revolution farming, which is now kaput thanks to mr Klaatu, the writers don't even consider it

    override367 on
    steam_sig.png
  • TejsTejs Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Kias wrote:
    I kind of just wish the Crucible turned the Citadel in to some kind of mobile super battle ship or something that could pop off Reapers as easy as they pop off human/council ships.
    1242200946061.jpg
    Which was also a lame ending to an otherwise great game series.

    I still want a Homeworld 3 or something. Curse you, Relic!

  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Come on folks, really?
    Star Wars already went through this with the Endor Holocaust.

    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Endor_Holocaust

    If it wasn't the author's intent, it's not gonna happen.

  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Okay. Stayed up until 4:30 in the goddamn morning and slept through my alarm and was late to work, just so I could talk about this thing with you guys.

    THESSIA/DLC CHARACTER STUFF:
    I can't imagine doing that without Javik. His interaction with Liara and the other asari is so good. Javik is a cool guy. All of his between missions stuff is great, and his mission is passable. I was a little put off when I took him to some early missions because he didn't have a lot to say... but Thessia made up for all that in spades.

    The vast majority of this game is everything I ever wanted in a Mass Effect finale. The character interactions are ace, and, unlike in ME2, your crew actually has relationships with each other. Coming into a room and overhearing Liara's conversations with the DLC character were especially well done. I really loved the War Room stuff, reading about the traits and numerical values of the units and fleets I unlocked.

    ENDGAME MISSION STUFF:
    It makes me very sad that all that work was, relatively speaking, for nothing, as far as I can tell. Sure, there might have been slightly different outcomes based on your point total, but... what a letdown from ME2's Suicide Mission. I wanted to be up there with Hackett at the start of the battle assigning various fleets to various functions. Like:

    FRENZIED COMLINK: "Commadner Shepard, Harbinger and three other Sovereign-class Reapers are headed toward the Crucible!"

    SHEPARD TOP RIGHT: "Turian First and Third Fleets, intercept!"
    SHEPARD CENTER RIGHT: "Salarians, go!"
    SHEPARD BOTTOM RIGHT: "Throw everything at Harbinger! He dies today!"
    SHEPARD PARAGON: "Geth Dreadnoughts, cover for the krogan boarding action!"
    SHEPARD RENEGADE: "Quarian Civilian Fleet, RAMMING SPEED!"

    And then it would check the chosen units' War Point value against the challenge rating, with situational modifiers based on the appropriateness of the chosen unit to the task. That unit would then be committed for the time being and inaccessable, or suffer a point value loss to represent casualties. This could work for ground forces or mid-battle science/mechanical challenges (like core overloads), too.

    I don't think we would need a full-fledged RTS or anything to represent the battle, but having Shepard make some key choices at key moments is what the series has been all about, up until this point.
    Also the ability to watch a Hanar vs. Banshee fight would've been appreciated. WTF, Bioware???? :p

    All that said, all of the bro-moments with your team, and the comlink farewells with off-site personel were great. The Liara romance stuff at the end was great (if a little sparse in mid-game... seriously my Shep almost banged Traynor because it felt like Liara wasn't putting out). I just felt like... "wait, what?" when I get told to choose my team carefully, I was thinking, "Okay, alright, now we get into the Suicide Mission part of this suicide mission." And then Harbinger shoots me with a goddamn laser and I'm FUBAR. At least I assume that was Harbinger... because a final showdown with that fuck had been in the cards for awhile. Guess he won that round.

    MINOR CHARACTER DEATHS 1:
    Post-Citadel 2:
    I was kinda pissed that Kelly never got a spot on the Normandy Wall Of The Dead. You overhear about her death and are never even able to comment on it, despite Kelly proving to be a super sis by saving your fish earlier.

    MINOR CHARACTER DEATHS 2:
    Post-Rannoch:
    Conversely, I only got an e-mail about Kal'Reeger's death, but I was damn proud of him. Keelah se'lai, solider.

    FUNNY (MAYBE) BUG
    Post-Rannoch:
    The geth got a point value buff for re-writing the Heretics in ME2. That's kinda cool. All of my Quarian forces, though got the same buff. I can only imagine this is either a bug, or those enviro-suit integrations went really damn well.

    ENDING:
    I chose the middle Space Jesus option, mostly because it was after 4 AM and I honestly did not remember which side was which from Catalyst's exposition (thanks for the lack of street signs, guys), though I'm kinda crying foul on the "all synthetics, everywhere, LOL" bit in the Destroy Reapers option. The hell I was going to make Legion's sacrifice meaningless. Given to do it again, I'd probably take that option anyway, just because my Shepard is an engineer, and if they can rebuild Shepard after brain death, I'd say that there's a heck of a lot better chance to restore a synthetic's code from back-ups.

    The magical nature of the Synthesis option bugged me. Definitely Battlestar Galactica ending territory for me. For a series that's been relatively hard science fiction (for a video game space opera, at least) to go with such an obviously science fantasy ending just grated.

    I really wanted the option to just use the Crucible as an actual superweapon of some sort, instead of being an insane djinni's wishing lamp. I came into the game assuming that the endgame would have the option of destroying the Reapers by causing Sol to supernova using dark energy (sacrificing earth to save the galaxy), or somehow luring them away and permanently disabling the mass relay to save earth at the cost of the rest of the galaxy (but the allied fleet would be stranded, leading to a new paradise of many different races and cultures). Or using Cerberus's indoctrination research to free indoctrinated subjects, resulting in actual dissent among the Reaper forces. Maybe you can convince a Reaper, now free from indoctrination, to turn against the others if their civilization particularly valued freedom, inevitably resulting in its sacrifice. You know, hard fought, tough choices with real consequences.

    Okay, that's it for now.

    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    They don't have to give a sunshine and lollipops ending, but an expanded one would be nice.
    Your choices mean nothing. I don't know how they can actually fix that, but saying everything you've done is pointless from the ending is pretty accurate. Literally the only thing from my ending that seemed to have an affect was Joker and Edi together and I'm sure even if I hadn't fostered their relationship that ending would have ended the same.

  • AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    OH MY GOD..... :C :C :C
    You just made me realise that I made it so that The Quarian fleet will never get to see their newly reobtained homeworld...

    I feel like such a dick now... :C
    they can, though.
    conventional FTL drives.
    just look at how far the reapers got in 2 years: darkspace to the milky way.
    might be a bit longer as non-reaper ships might not be as fast and they will likely have to detour a bit for fuelling stops but other than that it's entirely feasible.
    Only problem with that is fuel. Reapers don't use fuel when they do FTL, they are also much faster than the fastest normal ship.

    Looking at the galaxy map, Rannoch is roughly 80,000 light years from Earth. No fucking way they have the fuel for that and even if they did, I seriously doubt any Quarian would see their home in their lifetime. Next generation maybe.

    That also doesn't count food. I'm not sure how many live ships were at the battle, but even if only a couple got destroyed, feeding the fleet would be insufficient, you'd have to allow some to die so the rest could live.

    The Quarians are generally fucked.

    and hey presto
    there's loads of reaper corpses lying around.
    i think they will be able to go home, it'll likely be an epic journey but still!
    Except for the fact where dead Reapers can still indoctrinate, sure.

    The only Quarians who will survive are the ones left behind on Rannoch.

    There just isn't enough fuel left. Also be aware that the Volus, Elco, Turians, Salarian, and Asari will want to go home too. So don't expect them to share fuel. Hypothetically, the Salarians, Asari, and Elcor could stay on Earth for a while, but the Volus need air to breath, and Turians/Quarians need food to eat and nothing on Earth would give useful nutrients.

    I'm sorry, but they are fucked.

    Ending stuff
    I'm going to assume that Catalyst is the mechanism responsible for indoctrination, and now that there is no Catalyst anymore, the reaper leftovers are perfectly safe.
    Yeah, it makes sense to me that they're truly and actually dead, so they're just giant corpses floating through space, waiting to be plundered.


    Either way, I also believe that the Quairans will survive. It may take them centuries to get to their homeworld, but they also may not have to, really. Turian colonies are sure to have food, and we know that some of these colonies even managed to repel Reaper invasion for a time, so they're not completely devastated. Salvage Reaper-tech for your drive core and you're golden.
    I don't know, none of this accounts for the fuel. All the fuel reserves inthe Sol system were destroyed. So no one could just leave right away. The closest colonies are just too far without fuel reserves.

    But hypothetically, say that the moment the war is over. The best and brightest mind work to rebuild the relays or reverse engineer reaper propulsion or rebuild their fuel stations, how would you maintain breath gas for the Volus and food for the Turians and Quarians? Even if all that happens in a timely manner, we would still see the deaths of many Volus, Turians, and Quarians.

    Even with Reaper tech, the journey isn't instant. Food and breathable gas would still be a factor.
    Keep in mind they should still have tons of supplies floating in orbit. The citadel is mostly intact. The arms looked to be in pretty good shape. They should be able to scavenge enough to get them to a system with the proper resources. I wonder if the keepers are still working? Also I think the fall of the citadel would be pretty sweet dlc. You could play as Bailey.

    I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    I figured character unlocks would stop after hitting max appearance customization options (lights), not just max level. Or does it keep happening even if you've got the lights unlocked.
    You can still get characters even after you have all the appearance options; there is still an EXP bonus associated with the cards.

    The exp is irrelevant. The game tracks it by simply giving each item either a specific number limit, or no limit at all. For weapons and consumable stock upgrades, it's 10, and mods 5. All other unlocks have no limits.

  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    Kelly
    You can save her by telling her to change her name. At least that's what I'm told since I missed her completely.

  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Was MP stasis nerfed between the demo and this final build?

    Seemed more hilariously broken back then.

    e: Come to think of it, a few things that seemed meh back then now feel stupidly good.

    And weapons and mods only go up to level V now instead of level X, right? Or is that only in SP?

    s7Imn5J.png
  • DragkoniasDragkonias Registered User regular
    You know I think I'm going to spec my Vanguard for hp/shields instead of melee this time. I barely use melee and I would like the extra survivability more.

  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    Was MP stasis nerfed between the demo and this final build?

    Seemed more hilariously broken back then.

    e: Come to think of it, a few things that seemed meh back then now feel stupidly good.

    And weapons and mods only go up to level V now instead of level X, right? Or is that only in SP?

    Mods never went to X, and the weapon restriction is only in SP. That restriction gets lifted on NG+; non-collectable weapons (starting stuff and pre-order stuff) can immediately be upgraded to X using the terminal, and guns you collect in missions can be upgraded to VII (they then go to X for free when you collect them again).

  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I didn't choose the tiki life, the tiki life chose me Inside a bottle of rumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    You know I think I'm going to spec my Vanguard for hp/shields instead of melee this time. I barely use melee and I would like the extra survivability more.

    That's what I did in the demo and it works great. The added HP buffer really helps.

    I really should resurrect my Vanguard, I've been too busy trying to figure the adept classes out. Each one requires such a different playstyle and takes some real experimentation to make work efficiently.

    Well, except for the Asari Adept who just fires off Throw as much as possible.

    TOGSolid on
  • AshdrakeAshdrake Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    They don't have to give a sunshine and lollipops ending, but an expanded one would be nice.
    Your choices mean nothing. I don't know how they can actually fix that, but saying everything you've done is pointless from the ending is pretty accurate. Literally the only thing from my ending that seemed to have an affect was Joker and Edi together and I'm sure even if I hadn't fostered their relationship that ending would have ended the same.
    Your choices may not affect the ending but they sure as hell affect the telling of the story. I still felt my choices mattered because the game touched me. I was able to see the impact of choices I had made before showing in this game. it may not have changed the ending but it changed the story..... except for that anderson/udina bullshit.

    I hunt monsters because I need weapons. I need weapons because I hunt monsters.
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Cambiata wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    OH MY GOD..... :C :C :C
    You just made me realise that I made it so that The Quarian fleet will never get to see their newly reobtained homeworld...

    I feel like such a dick now... :C
    they can, though.
    conventional FTL drives.
    just look at how far the reapers got in 2 years: darkspace to the milky way.
    might be a bit longer as non-reaper ships might not be as fast and they will likely have to detour a bit for fuelling stops but other than that it's entirely feasible.
    Only problem with that is fuel. Reapers don't use fuel when they do FTL, they are also much faster than the fastest normal ship.

    Looking at the galaxy map, Rannoch is roughly 80,000 light years from Earth. No fucking way they have the fuel for that and even if they did, I seriously doubt any Quarian would see their home in their lifetime. Next generation maybe.

    That also doesn't count food. I'm not sure how many live ships were at the battle, but even if only a couple got destroyed, feeding the fleet would be insufficient, you'd have to allow some to die so the rest could live.

    The Quarians are generally fucked.

    and hey presto
    there's loads of reaper corpses lying around.
    i think they will be able to go home, it'll likely be an epic journey but still!
    Except for the fact where dead Reapers can still indoctrinate, sure.

    The only Quarians who will survive are the ones left behind on Rannoch.

    There just isn't enough fuel left. Also be aware that the Volus, Elco, Turians, Salarian, and Asari will want to go home too. So don't expect them to share fuel. Hypothetically, the Salarians, Asari, and Elcor could stay on Earth for a while, but the Volus need air to breath, and Turians/Quarians need food to eat and nothing on Earth would give useful nutrients.

    I'm sorry, but they are fucked.

    Ending stuff
    I'm going to assume that Catalyst is the mechanism responsible for indoctrination, and now that there is no Catalyst anymore, the reaper leftovers are perfectly safe.
    Yeah, it makes sense to me that they're truly and actually dead, so they're just giant corpses floating through space, waiting to be plundered.


    Either way, I also believe that the Quairans will survive. It may take them centuries to get to their homeworld, but they also may not have to, really. Turian colonies are sure to have food, and we know that some of these colonies even managed to repel Reaper invasion for a time, so they're not completely devastated. Salvage Reaper-tech for your drive core and you're golden.
    I don't know, none of this accounts for the fuel. All the fuel reserves inthe Sol system were destroyed. So no one could just leave right away. The closest colonies are just too far without fuel reserves.

    But hypothetically, say that the moment the war is over. The best and brightest mind work to rebuild the relays or reverse engineer reaper propulsion or rebuild their fuel stations, how would you maintain breath gas for the Volus and food for the Turians and Quarians? Even if all that happens in a timely manner, we would still see the deaths of many Volus, Turians, and Quarians.

    Even with Reaper tech, the journey isn't instant. Food and breathable gas would still be a factor.
    people are projecting a fairy tale ending onto one that the writers of the game didn't even bother considering the implications of.

    I'm sure if we get any future plots the quarians and everything will be fine, but in logical in game terms, there's no way they're not doomed, along with what is surely the bulk of the survivors on earth.

    It's the same as the day the earth stood still (the newer one), the ending is seen as a victory when 3/4 of the earth's population relies on green revolution farming, which is now kaput thanks to mr Klaatu, the writers don't even consider it
    You don't have to delve into speculation to realize why the ending is bad. The fact that the speculation is even HAPPENING shows why the ending is bad. The ending didn't answer any of these questions because apparently the writers didn't care to or think they were important. It shows what a disconnect there is between what players actually care about and what the writers of the ending thought we cared about. The players are all asking "what the hell just happened to the universe we spent three games in"? And the ending essentially says "not important."

    Yougottawanna on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Bloat much? Cincinnati, OhioRegistered User regular
    Opened up the perseus viel. Is that half way?

    0QA6SRd.jpg
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid I didn't choose the tiki life, the tiki life chose me Inside a bottle of rumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    .

    TOGSolid on
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Kelly
    You can save her by telling her to change her name. At least that's what I'm told since I missed her completely.

    Interesting.
    I don't take issue with her dying, only that Shepard doesn't react to it in any way. My comic relief engineers do mention it, but you'd think Shepard would give a shit after saving her from the Collectors.

    Gary Gygax wrote:
    ''The secret we should never let the gamemasters know is that they don't need any rules.''
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte Registered User regular
    Invisible wrote: »
    Kelly
    You can save her by telling her to change her name. At least that's what I'm told since I missed her completely.

    Interesting.
    I don't take issue with her dying, only that Shepard doesn't react to it in any way. My comic relief engineers do mention it, but you'd think Shepard would give a shit after saving her from the Collectors.
    That was before the scale itch had set in. 6 months of house arrest with itchy parts can sour your opinion of someone.

  • FairchildFairchild You're not giving orders any more, you're taking them. You're in my world now. Registered User regular
    Oh hey, the Save the Elcor mission:
    The Elcor planet doesn't become available for travel until after Rannoch, but after traveling to it twice I haven't seen anything that triggers a Save the Elcor mission. Is there something that I need to do to unlock it or is this a bug ?

  • Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    Speculation on the ending blah blah:
    So it's safe to assume the keepers were the first intelligent species in the galaxy and that when the Catalyst rose to power it altered the species to maintain it for the rest of time. There were hints in the first and second game that keepers were around for millions of years and Catalyst is all about preserving organics.

  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    evilthecat wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    OH MY GOD..... :C :C :C
    You just made me realise that I made it so that The Quarian fleet will never get to see their newly reobtained homeworld...

    I feel like such a dick now... :C
    they can, though.
    conventional FTL drives.
    just look at how far the reapers got in 2 years: darkspace to the milky way.
    might be a bit longer as non-reaper ships might not be as fast and they will likely have to detour a bit for fuelling stops but other than that it's entirely feasible.
    Only problem with that is fuel. Reapers don't use fuel when they do FTL, they are also much faster than the fastest normal ship.

    Looking at the galaxy map, Rannoch is roughly 80,000 light years from Earth. No fucking way they have the fuel for that and even if they did, I seriously doubt any Quarian would see their home in their lifetime. Next generation maybe.

    That also doesn't count food. I'm not sure how many live ships were at the battle, but even if only a couple got destroyed, feeding the fleet would be insufficient, you'd have to allow some to die so the rest could live.

    The Quarians are generally fucked.

    and hey presto
    there's loads of reaper corpses lying around.
    i think they will be able to go home, it'll likely be an epic journey but still!
    Except for the fact where dead Reapers can still indoctrinate, sure.

    The only Quarians who will survive are the ones left behind on Rannoch.

    There just isn't enough fuel left. Also be aware that the Volus, Elco, Turians, Salarian, and Asari will want to go home too. So don't expect them to share fuel. Hypothetically, the Salarians, Asari, and Elcor could stay on Earth for a while, but the Volus need air to breath, and Turians/Quarians need food to eat and nothing on Earth would give useful nutrients.

    I'm sorry, but they are fucked.

    Ending stuff
    I'm going to assume that Catalyst is the mechanism responsible for indoctrination, and now that there is no Catalyst anymore, the reaper leftovers are perfectly safe.
    Yeah, it makes sense to me that they're truly and actually dead, so they're just giant corpses floating through space, waiting to be plundered.


    Either way, I also believe that the Quairans will survive. It may take them centuries to get to their homeworld, but they also may not have to, really. Turian colonies are sure to have food, and we know that some of these colonies even managed to repel Reaper invasion for a time, so they're not completely devastated. Salvage Reaper-tech for your drive core and you're golden.
    I don't know, none of this accounts for the fuel. All the fuel reserves inthe Sol system were destroyed. So no one could just leave right away. The closest colonies are just too far without fuel reserves.

    But hypothetically, say that the moment the war is over. The best and brightest mind work to rebuild the relays or reverse engineer reaper propulsion or rebuild their fuel stations, how would you maintain breath gas for the Volus and food for the Turians and Quarians? Even if all that happens in a timely manner, we would still see the deaths of many Volus, Turians, and Quarians.

    Even with Reaper tech, the journey isn't instant. Food and breathable gas would still be a factor.
    people are projecting a fairy tale ending onto one that the writers of the game didn't even bother considering the implications of.

    I'm sure if we get any future plots the quarians and everything will be fine, but in logical in game terms, there's no way they're not doomed, along with what is surely the bulk of the survivors on earth.

    It's the same as the day the earth stood still (the newer one), the ending is seen as a victory when 3/4 of the earth's population relies on green revolution farming, which is now kaput thanks to mr Klaatu, the writers don't even consider it
    I'll concede to that point. It's probably not the writers intent for them to all starve/suffocate to death. So any expanded story would probably either have an explaination for their survival or just hand wave it. Which would be fine I guess.

    On the other hand, ME3 was pretty dark in a few places...so you never know.

    Speaking of dark in a few places.
    Whenever I was in the specter office, I would quickly read any requests and then approve of them. So I gave the PTSD Asari a gun...

    I thought it would be unloaded, just so she could have some comfort! :(

    And fuck that bitch from Sarens Krogan facility. Should have killed her in ME1. I wanted to cap her ass in ME2, but the game wouldn't let me.

    I'm glad that some paragon and renegade choices had negative and positive effects respectively.

  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Mods never went to X, and the weapon restriction is only in SP. That restriction gets lifted on NG+; non-collectable weapons (starting stuff and pre-order stuff) can immediately be upgraded to X using the terminal, and guns you collect in missions can be upgraded to VII (they then go to X for free when you collect them again).

    Good to know, thanks.
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Oh hey, the Save the Elcor mission:
    The Elcor planet doesn't become available for travel until after Rannoch, but after traveling to it twice I haven't seen anything that triggers a Save the Elcor mission. Is there something that I need to do to unlock it or is this a bug ?
    Did you already scan it before the quest, like I did? In that case just talk to the elcor again, you've already completed it. Yes, it's just a probe launch thing.

    Really wish the quest log updated and told you what stage of a quest you were on.

    SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    So regarding some ending stuff:
    Did everyone on the Citadel just die? How did the Reapers just seem to just instantly snatch it? And wouldn't the Reapers have won if they just used it turn off the mass effect relays?

  • TTODewbackTTODewback Your Wildest Dreams Out of the WoodsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Mods go higher in NG+.

    Also, I think the whole thing about (ME2 Spoilers)
    Haestrom was that dying stars is how Element Zero is made. So the reapers/someone may have somehow made it die faster so the next civilization would have a source of Eezo to make reaper tech.

    Also (Me3 Discusssion
    I wouldn't think it would take too much to rebuild H3 fuel stations. So the fuel thing shouldn't be a problem. Several system have had them abandoned, destroyed, and rebuilt it seems like with littleeffort besides protecting them from mean mercs/pirates/slavers

    TTODewback on
    Herald of the Lizard Folk.
This discussion has been closed.