As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super Cheap PC Options [SOLVED]

2»

• Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So I got my first bundle of joy today (thanks to Chrishallett83). Forgot to ask - what do I need for CPU cooling nowadays? Fan? Heatsink?

• Options
    ResonanceSDResonanceSD SydneyRegistered User regular
    Seeing the list of games you want to play, the one that'll take the most oomph to get going properly is..Minecraft, weirdly.

What you want is a lanbox type setup, in Australia they can go for as little as $650-750. What is your budget though?

i7 2600k, SLI GTX 580, 8GB RAM, 5760x1080 =D

Come at me bro.
  • Options
    I'm actually all set hardware wise - got a monitor, speakers, case, kboard, mouse, motherboard, cpu, ram, graphics card, power supply and new case fans either here or en route. I just didn't even think about CPU cooling.

• Options
    I'm actually all set hardware wise - got a monitor, speakers, case, kboard, mouse, motherboard, cpu, ram, graphics card, power supply and new case fans either here or en route. I just didn't even think about CPU cooling.

You need a heatsink fan and some thermal paste

Come at me bro.
  • Options
    So I got my first bundle of joy today (thanks to Chrishallett83). Forgot to ask - what do I need for CPU cooling nowadays? Fan? Heatsink?

How much space do you have to work with? I can rec. some decent brands, but the better coolers need more space.

Come at me bro.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Actually I was going to send you my cooler, a Deepcool IceEdge 200, which is basically silent and pretty much twice as good as the stock heatsink, but shipping would have been a fair bit more than you just buying one yourself (somewhere around $35 - hah! fuck that).

A stock Core2Quad Intel cooler second-hand from Ebay will do the trick, and be fairly quiet, too.

• Options
    Thanks - I'm sure I'll find something - just wanted to see what I should be looking for. No matter what I get it'll be quieter than my old system - it's crazy loud.

• Options
    So I'm up and running today. Thanks @chrishallett83 and @Iceman.USAF for your generous gifts. I bought a few parts (and Windows 7) and I've been playing a bunch of games I've never played - Half Life 2 and Serious Sam HD to start.

All the input from folks was great, I can't wait to see folks on Steam!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Nice, dude!