As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Will OMAC and Frankenstein ever get trades?

I need to get my Frankenstein avatar off of my other computer some time.

DouglasDanger on
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Considering that Mr. Terrific got a trade, and I believe it sold in the same ballpark as OMAC or worse, I'd say chances are good they will.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Will OMAC and Frankenstein ever get trades?

I need to get my Frankenstein avatar off of my other computer some time.

Frankenstein is out on June 26th, with issues 1 - 6. Omac comes out sometime in August, also with the first 6 issues.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I think they will almost certainly get trades

DC are at least trying to improve in that area

and I imagine that the process of making a trade paperback started before they were cancelled

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I assume they'll be pushed back to include all 8 issues for the cancelled series.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    edited June 2012
    i thought Frankenstein survived the cancellation wave. Kindt is taking over for Lemire. And he is getting one of those issue zero comics in September...

DouglasDanger on
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I've read the first two issues of World's Finest now. It has some of my favorite talent on it. Paul Levitz, George Perez, Kevin Maguire.

And yet... it doesn't look to me like something any of those people would create. Where is the George Perez of Teen Titans and Crisis on Infinite Earths fame? Where is the Paul Levitz who gave us some of the best Legion stories ever? Where the Maguire of Justice League International?

I am disappointed in what I received with two great characters, we get a forgettable villian, costumes I'm not crazy about (well, one, anyway) and not much in the way of explanation as to what's going on. What? Karen managed to create a big-name, international company out of nothing in 5 years? How'd that happen?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    The "Karen builds a company" thing is kind of explained between the lines; Helena sets them up with some stolen (from Wayne Enterprises) cash early on and then Karen supplements that with using her powers to find rare elements to sell.

But yeah, there's been some discussion (some in this very thread even) about how George Perez has not aged well, as far as his art is concerned. I don't like the way he draws Helena, which sucks because I loved the way he drew her in COIE.

As far as the story goes, I'm hoping Levitz is just trying to get the ball rolling.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'll give it another issue or two

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    DC announced its upcoming trades.

Interesting to note - they're putting all the various issues of Court of Owls from all the participating series into one trade. Sweet.

The Superman v. Shazam! trade also looks kind of cool. Metal Men too.

I think I may have all the issues in that Superman vs Shazam trade except a coupl eof the bigger 1970's issues. I might pick it up to see what I'm missing.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I knew about the Robinson/Tan He-Man comic coming out but apparently there's a new digital one by Geoff Johns? Featuring a character Johns made up when he was 8? Named Sir Laser-Lot?

I'm buying this.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That is fantastic

CYpGAPn.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    George Perez discusses his work on the New 52 titles.
    Unfortunately all the scripts are going back to committee unfortunately, all the scripts are going through okays, changes by the time I get it there’s not enough for me to contribute it. So the fact that I can put my personality… I fact I’m working with Paul Levitz on World’s Finest. Paul, like everyone else is being told we need you to go full script on that, we have to okay it. But Paul knows, if I get full script and this thing takes place in one page and… there’s not enough going on on that page, I would change things, add some extra scenes. Paul says “don’t worry George, whatever you put in, I trust you, I’ll rewrite it.” Paul and I have known each other since we were teenagers, so it’s Kinda nice to work that way. I’m hoping that my future projects will allow me that leeway.

Somebody else basically to tell someone like I am, how to draw or choreograph a comic book. I think I’ve been doing it enough time. There are a lot of artists in my position having the same experience. Let us do we’ve been doing, in my case for going on four decades and have have a modicum amount of success in it.

----

I had no idea Grant Morrison was going to be working on another Superman title, I had no idea I was doing it five years ahead, which means, my story I couldn’t do certain things without knowing what he did, and Grant wasn’t telling everybody, so I was kind of stuck,who exists, DC couldn’t give me answers. Oh my gosh, you’re deciding all these things and you mean even you don’t know what’s going on in your books… so I became very frustrated…

By now, I think it's a pretty foregone conclusion that the DCU was haphazardly slapped together. But, I think it's a bit sad to see industry veterans like Levitz and Perez going through an unusual amount of editorial interference.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I get that Morrison is one of the best selling writers and because of that he takes precedence over others, but there is a continuing theme of him not telling others who need to know exactly what he's doing on the books he writes. I'm not saying this to criticize, just to point out. This is the third time I can remember reading something about this. He always waited to turn in scripts for New X-Men at the last minute, partly to get stuff past editorial, and he did the same thing on his Batman run. It's less of a thing when you're writing JLA or a stand alone series that doesn't have 2-3 other titles that reflect off of what you're doing. This is why All Star Superman was so good, isolated and Grant allowed to do what he wanted when he wanted. Because that first issue of Superman was so, so bad, and all the dialogue now looks like it was added by editorial at the last minute.

Does Perez have a contract with DC? If not Marvel should be asking him how about drawing an Avengers arc following AvX. And maybe seeing if Busiek has a story to tell...

TexiKen on
    Perez hasn't grown as an interest in decades.

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i haven't seen anyone talking about perez' superman in months

i assume it's still going but it seems to have sunk without a ripple

Well he left it, is why

The new team is Kieth Giffen and Dan Jurgens and it is actually pretty fun

but then of course they are getting replaced by Scott Lobdell and...Rocafort? I think.

CYpGAPn.png
    Yes, Rocafort. I am actually interested in that, despite Lobdell's track record. I figure it'll be waaay more... exciting than it is currently? And the art will be nice.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I would kill to have more active Superman discussions around here.

Wait, let me rephrase that. I would kill to have more Superman comics worth discussing. When I last stopped keeping up with comics, Superman held on as the very last thing that I dropped. Granted, that was in the heat of New Krypton and it was pretty consistently good.

I'm only three issues though the current Superman series, and I'm going to have to force myself to catch up one of these days. Zero interest in Supergirl and Superboy too, when I adored the whole lineup before. The way that every Super~ title was all one continuous story at the time really helped. I really miss having that. It would drive me nuts with some groups of characters, but for Superman it seemed perfect.

I still wait with open arms and open wallet for each new Action Comics though.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Just read the new Frankenstein that came out this month.

I miss Lemire already...

Also sucks that his name was on the cover and solicits but the credits inside show it's written by another dude.

Thanks DC editorial.

Tairu wrote: »
    Yes, Rocafort. I am actually interested in that, despite Lobdell's track record. I figure it'll be waaay more... exciting than it is currently? And the art will be nice.
    See, I think the current Giffen/Jurgens run is plenty exciting

I mean Superman's brawl with Hellespont was pretty, well, super. Dudes were tearing apart mountains trying to get to each other.

CYpGAPn.png
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Really? I dropped Superman with its first act. I might have to pick it up. @SightTDW I feel you man; I'm in the same boat :(

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    edited June 2012
    All right, thanks to Amazon and my local comic shop, I now own all 9 issues of the New 52 Aquaman and I'm loving it. This has to be the best Aquaman series yet for me.I'm actually appreciative of the new 52, an idea I was very skeptical of, because it allows them to restart Aquaman, and have everything else restart at the same time, more or less, and do away with a bunch of the baggage Aquaman has accumulated over the years. he's back to being his brooding, prickly self, with powers that almost rival Superman's. Or at least Wonder Woman's.

Mera is by his side again, he hasn't lost a son yet (who knows what the future holds), there's no missing hand, and he isn't so weighted down with guilt and regret that he can't function. That side of him is there, in more tolerable levels, the way it should always have been. When your hero's character trait actually tears the character apart, it is no longer a character trait, and becomes a fatal flaw. Villians have those because the villian needs to be defeated. Heroes have things they have to overcome, not be smothered under for years at a time.

I'm liking this new take on Aquaman, and I hope it continues for a good, long while.

Edit: I also love how in the art for the first issue cover, you can see the reflection of a sea monster coming at Aquaman in his trident, then in the art for the second issue cover, you can see the reflection of Arthur, in the pose from the first issue cover, in the eye of the sea monster.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    After getting Suicide squad and Red hood this month I really have no idea why one is really bad and the other got far better

• ryvenryven Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    After getting Suicide squad and Red hood this month I really have no idea why one is really bad and the other got far better

i dont know why i get suicide squad at this point, my love for deadshot is not enoooough

edited June 2012
    Been recounting events of the DCnU, I think the thing that has my interest piqued the most right now is the little man from Action Comics. Morrison seems to be setting him up to be a big deal, considering he has been amassing Superman villains across both time and separate universes. I assume it's Mr. Mxyzptlk but you never know, Grant has created a ton of new villains for Action Comics that we've only seen brief glimpses of.
    He's shown up in about seven issues so far, and there have been frequent references to him being the devil, making "deals" with people.

Tairu on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'd like to see Perez take a crack at writing a title again, without all the editorial nonsense.

Or possibly even just plots, with a scripter.
    Maximum wrote: »
    Just read the new Frankenstein that came out this month.

I miss Lemire already...

Also sucks that his name was on the cover and solicits but the credits inside show it's written by another dude.

Thanks DC editorial.

I haven't read it yet, but I read the guy (Matt Kindt)'s new indie book, and it was one of the best comics I've read in ages (Mind Mgmt).

Also, he's BFF's with Lemire, was Lemire's hand-picked replacement, and has been co-plotting the earlier issues with Lemire, as well as certain issues of Sweet Tooth.

I mean, I guess if the issue is bad it's bad, but the guy certainly has a pedigree. I'll have to try and catch up on it this week.

HadjiQuest on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Tony Bedard talks Beowulf.

"The poem is definitely my starting point. I mean, Beowulf was the original English-language superhero. But my Beowulf departs from the classic one most obviously in that it's set in a future where the great cities of the 21st Century are gone, replaced by feudal kingdoms that sprang up in a permanent nuclear winter. Old military installations have been converted into castles and fortresses.

Readers will recognize certain locations, weapons and 'monsters' as artifacts of our age, but like in 'Samurai Jack' or 'Thundarr the Barbarian' the characters in 'Beowulf' see everything strictly in medieval terms. Old plane hangars and missile silos are now mead halls and dungeons; old war-bots known as 'Iron Trolls' still patrol ancient battlefields, and the descendants of super-soldier/bioweapon programs are the demigods and monsters of the day. Beowulf is one of these, but whether he is god or monster remains to be seen.

In the original, he was the ultimate warrior -- like Hercules or Perseus. In 'Sword Of Sorcery' Beowulf is a bio-enhanced super-soldier, less Captain America than 'Nuke' from 'Daredevil: Born Again.' He's huge, intimidating, and wired for violence with a hair-trigger temper -- a ticking time bomb in any gathering.

He's tactically brilliant but sees almost everything in military terms. The fun of the story is that you never know which way he'll go. You only know that anyone who gets within ten feet of him is risking his life -- and his poor travelling companion Wiglaf is a fourteen year-old kid trying like hell to keep this walking weapon aimed at the right targets. He's bringing Beowulf home to save his people from Grendel, but he knows Beowulf is just as likely to wipe out his people as any monster."

I love the idea of that setting, but a dour, joyless protagonist doesn't sound particularly interesting, even if Wiglaf will presumably be acting as the audience's viewpoint character.

Munch on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    i kind of like the sound of super-'90s beowulf but like all super-'90s stuff it won't work unless it's self-aware enough

Beowulf's setting sounds interesting. I find the whole dying earth setting thing interesting.

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    I think it sounds more like something classic DC writers would have come up with than 90s writers.

steam_sig-400.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I get that Morrison is one of the best selling writers and because of that he takes precedence over others, but there is a continuing theme of him not telling others who need to know exactly what he's doing on the books he writes. I'm not saying this to criticize, just to point out. This is the third time I can remember reading something about this. He always waited to turn in scripts for New X-Men at the last minute, partly to get stuff past editorial, and he did the same thing on his Batman run. It's less of a thing when you're writing JLA or a stand alone series that doesn't have 2-3 other titles that reflect off of what you're doing. This is why All Star Superman was so good, isolated and Grant allowed to do what he wanted when he wanted. Because that first issue of Superman was so, so bad, and all the dialogue now looks like it was added by editorial at the last minute.

Does Perez have a contract with DC? If not Marvel should be asking him how about drawing an Avengers arc following AvX. And maybe seeing if Busiek has a story to tell...

Not communicating properly with co-workers, especially in a multi-title universe, is something that deserves criticism over. Comics are a team sport. I expect this from idiotic editors, not critically acclaimed writers.
    Munch wrote: »
    George Perez discusses his work on the New 52 titles.
    Unfortunately all the scripts are going back to committee unfortunately, all the scripts are going through okays, changes by the time I get it there’s not enough for me to contribute it. So the fact that I can put my personality… I fact I’m working with Paul Levitz on World’s Finest. Paul, like everyone else is being told we need you to go full script on that, we have to okay it. But Paul knows, if I get full script and this thing takes place in one page and… there’s not enough going on on that page, I would change things, add some extra scenes. Paul says “don’t worry George, whatever you put in, I trust you, I’ll rewrite it.” Paul and I have known each other since we were teenagers, so it’s Kinda nice to work that way. I’m hoping that my future projects will allow me that leeway.

Somebody else basically to tell someone like I am, how to draw or choreograph a comic book. I think I’ve been doing it enough time. There are a lot of artists in my position having the same experience. Let us do we’ve been doing, in my case for going on four decades and have have a modicum amount of success in it.

----

I had no idea Grant Morrison was going to be working on another Superman title, I had no idea I was doing it five years ahead, which means, my story I couldn’t do certain things without knowing what he did, and Grant wasn’t telling everybody, so I was kind of stuck,who exists, DC couldn’t give me answers. Oh my gosh, you’re deciding all these things and you mean even you don’t know what’s going on in your books… so I became very frustrated…

By now, I think it's a pretty foregone conclusion that the DCU was haphazardly slapped together. But, I think it's a bit sad to see industry veterans like Levitz and Perez going through an unusual amount of editorial interference.

DC's been like this ever since Didio took over. IIRC that's why Shooter left DC when his last Legion run ended. Harras using massive editorial interference is not a surprise. This was a tactic he used when he was Marvel's EIC. The core X-men titles were known for being severely editorialized. At least during Seagal and Kelly's runs.

Harry Dresden on
    herojoe wrote: »
    I think it sounds more like something classic DC writers would have come up with than 90s writers.

Yeah, it seems a bit like the old Atomic Knights setting, just updated with a few more modern themes.

Very much looking forward to it.

Let's talk Justice League for a second. I like this week's issue, the villain has some potential and the information-gathering angle is a cool tactic. I'm also enjoying this take on Cyborg. They've amped his power levels and he seems pretty badass.

But once again, the whole timeline thing seems to just not jive. All of the in-fighting and "we don't know each other" stuff really seems like the sort of thing that should have ironed itself out over the past five years. Now, if you tell me this story takes place a year after the first arc, I might buy it. But it just seems a stretch at this point.

@HadjiQuest

did you read frank yet? how is the author change? is the book still awesome? I am waiting for the trade with bated breath

Arryn wrote: »
    Let's talk Justice League for a second. I like this week's issue, the villain has some potential and the information-gathering angle is a cool tactic. I'm also enjoying this take on Cyborg. They've amped his power levels and he seems pretty badass.

But once again, the whole timeline thing seems to just not jive. All of the in-fighting and "we don't know each other" stuff really seems like the sort of thing that should have ironed itself out over the past five years. Now, if you tell me this story takes place a year after the first arc, I might buy it. But it just seems a stretch at this point.
    Well it seems like the new League isn't like the old one, or the DCAU one even

they don't hang out together and all relax in the Watchtower waiting for threats

the team forms up only when there is something to do

which means they probably don't have all that much socializing time. I mean, Green Lantern and Flash are friends. Superman and Batman are. It seems Wonder Woman and Aquaman are as well. But the team as a whole? Nah.

CYpGAPn.png
  • UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I really didn't like this weeks /arc of Justice League, the villain just doesn't seem that interesting yet. Probably going to drop it after this arc.

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I read halfway through Frankenstein #10 in the LCS today and had to put it back, it's got a problem where there's so much talking and not much doing, even though there are things going on all around everyone, but all they do is talk. There's this interesting new world we see that is kind of topsy turvey but not completely bizarro, but it feels like the new writer is suffering from Kirkmanitis. And Frank seems to have gone deep into his ye olde style of talkinge, where Lemire had his milady's and use of eloquent speak pepper Frank's words, here it's seems the default way. Something just felt off about it.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Arryn wrote: »

Well it seems like the new League isn't like the old one, or the DCAU one even

they don't hang out together and all relax in the Watchtower waiting for threats

the team forms up only when there is something to do

which means they probably don't have all that much socializing time. I mean, Green Lantern and Flash are friends. Superman and Batman are. It seems Wonder Woman and Aquaman are as well. But the team as a whole? Nah.

Much as you can make an argument as to why they wouldn't be

for me the JLA's best incarnation was the Morrison/Waid stuff and in that they were all pretty clearly good friends

the JLA should totally get along well, and not constantly bicker.

Yes, this might be a new league! That does bicker! But I don't like it nearly as much.

This discussion has been closed.