As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    no.

regrets.

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    I think the problem is that people seem determined to take Wonder Woman very seriously, and none of those names really work for that.

I think that's a big part of why people generally don't connect with, or find her interesting. For most of the modern age, she's been played very stoic and stern. There's not much humor to her, so there's not much humanity to her. Gail Simone tried to do a more human take on Wonder Woman, but her run really got bogged down with all the Genocide stuff, and ultimately didn't really go anywhere.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I'd like to see a Wonder Woman in the vein of Pak and Van Lente's Hercules. Something with a lot of heart, humor, and craziness, that still has real, emotional resonance.

I think that would be great. A fun, adventurous Wonder Woman that embraces the superhero silliness could be great, and really revitalise the character

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I asked around the people I work with and some others to find out the batman villains are far more well known than even the 5 mentioned earlier

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Arkham games were huge sellers, I can see them helping a lot with filling out the rogue's gallery for a lot of folk. (The games being great probably helped too )

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    I think the problem is that people seem determined to take Wonder Woman very seriously, and none of those names really work for that.

I think that's a big part of why people generally don't connect with, or find her interesting. For most of the modern age, she's been played very stoic and stern. There's not much humor to her, so there's not much humanity to her. Gail Simone tried to do a more human take on Wonder Woman, but her run really got bogged down with all the Genocide stuff, and ultimately didn't really go anywhere.

I'm sure I've said it before, but I'd like to see a Wonder Woman in the vein of Pak and Van Lente's Hercules. Something with a lot of heart, humor, and craziness, that still has real, emotional resonance.

I think that would be great. A fun, adventurous Wonder Woman that embraces the superhero silliness could be great, and really revitalise the character

That's fairly close to how Johns has been playing her in Justice League.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Solicits for October are up. I liked the look of this one in particular.
    aI3OV.jpg

G.I. COMBAT #5
    Written by PETER J. TOMASI
    Backup story written by JUSTIN GRAY and JIMMY PALMIOTTI
    Art by HOWARD CHAYKIN
    Backup story art by STAZ JOHNSON
    Cover by ALBERTO PONTICELLI and WAYNE FAUCHER
    On sale OCTOBER 3 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+
    Jeb Stuart breaks the Haunted Tank out of ARGUS’s Black Room!
    • Plus: The Unknown Soldier in a race against time to defeat American terrorists on American soil!

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Dan Jurgens is writing and drawing Firestorm now, probably for an arc before it gets canned.

Gene Ha is drawing Fables for an issue, that's nice.

I've started to lose interest in Animal Man and Swamp Thing. The rot story has gone on for too long now, I kind of want to see something more from Animal Man than always being on the run or in the Red, and Swamp Thing needs to bring something more beyond some creepy images every now and then. I'm pretty much down to only having a real interest about Batman, B&R, and Inc.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    THE HAUNTED TANK!!! HELL YEAH!!

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Why does that Superman solicit fills me with dread?

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    BATMAN #13
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Backup story written by SCOTT SNYDER and JAMES TYNION IV
    Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION
    Backup story art by ANDY CLARKE
    Cover by GREG CAPULLO
    Variant cover by AARON KUDER

• The Joker returns in “DEATH OF THE FAMILY”!
    He crippled Batgirl. He killed Robin. What will The Joker do now that he’s returned to Gotham City?
    • What must Batman do to protect his secret identity and that of those who fight alongside him?

Something else that will later be undone as part of a sales-boosting event?

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Death of the Family just seems like a way to prop up Batman's extended family of books with tie-ins and Joker appearances.

• Options
    Well I had given up on Gi Combat because it was just meh or stupid
    I was ok with the war time forgot it's the way the soliders keep asking WTF with each other that annoyed me the man with no face on the other day is just violence for violence sending a guy who was in the bad areas of Afghanistan to shoot up some Mexican drug gang was really stupid and bad writing
    But with the Ghost Tank I guess I will pick it back up

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ, is that three creators Firestorm will have had now in 13 issues?

• Options
    RansRans Registered User regular
    Three creative teams, five creators total or something like that

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    okay we got some haunted tank

some angel and the ape

now, dc, give me some detective chimp

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    detective comics jettisons batman, now stars detective chimp

who is the ideal creative team in this scenario

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    BATMAN #13
    Written by SCOTT SNYDER
    Backup story written by SCOTT SNYDER and JAMES TYNION IV
    Art by GREG CAPULLO and JONATHAN GLAPION
    Backup story art by ANDY CLARKE
    Cover by GREG CAPULLO
    Variant cover by AARON KUDER

• The Joker returns in “DEATH OF THE FAMILY”!
    He crippled Batgirl. He killed Robin. What will The Joker do now that he’s returned to Gotham City?
    • What must Batman do to protect his secret identity and that of those who fight alongside him?

Something else that will later be undone as part of a sales-boosting event?

Oh! I know! Maybe he will cripple Bruce, forcing characters to evolve and move forward, rather than orbit the same place forever.

Nope.

• Options
    Am I the only one who likes status quo? With Bruce Wayne being Batman? and with nothing ever really changing in comics? Every year they do these crossover events that are supposed to shake up the world, and when they actually do, it usually sucks.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Personally, I like it when the stories can evolve in a way that makes sense. I like heroes passing on their mantles to a younger generation, too. There's something about history and legacy that is appealing to me.

• Options
    I think that's why I like Batman Beyond but feel they fumble it in various places

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I think that's why I like Batman Beyond but feel they fumble it in various places

Have you been reading the new Batman Beyond and Justice League Beyond books? Pure freaking gold.

• Options
    The Batman beyond unlimited series?
    Yes
    But I think it's the justice league of the future where they are being rather awkward with

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    I read the first issue, it wasn't good. Because He-Man wasn't in it at all, just two or three panels of a dream sequence.

And Phillip Tan needed two inkers who had to split the pages between them.

The thing feels like a last minute put together for some joint licensing thing, IDW needs to teach them how to make it work.

• Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I liked the first issue.

I only pulled that book for Robinson & Tan. I like giffen, and I normally keep pulling titles when he takes over, but I really don't care about he-man at all.

I am torn.

I wonder if this is because Giffen had to write... something in order to get paid/stay at DC after being pushed off Superman. Just like how Jurgens is getting Firestorm. These are probably just short term assignments until they can find something more permanent for them.

Such a bummer. I wanted my weird, epic story-binding He-Man book.

• Options
    I don't know if this belongs here, but here we go...

I'm confused. I know there are several versions of the Legion of Superheroes, and I am confused about which Legion is which. I have a graphic novel called Foundations. Then I have the first 15 or so issues of the Legion reboot where the future hates kids and they're fighting the powa. That one had some good ideas, but I hated the characterization of some of the heroes. There was Legionnaires. Then there was another series that started with a number one and I assume had to be the one prior to the current series. Now the current one is picking up where the previous series left off, or where the original series did? Where do all these fit in the timeline and which is "real" at this point (other than the current series?)

I knwo the current series is supposed to be continuing from a prev continuity, but I am unsure which one, or if they've all been merged at this point.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Before anything else, I'm going to recommend checking out the book Teenagers From The Future: Essays on the Legion of Super-Heroes. Only $5 for the Kindle version gets you essays from guys like Matt Fraction and Chris Sims all about what makes the Legion so interesting.

Okay, so there have been four different versions of the Legion. You have the original Legion, which maintained its own continuity from 1958 all the way to 1994. The second Legion (the "Reboot Legion") lasted from 1994 to 2004, the third Legion (the "Threeboot Legion") only lasted from 2004 to 2007, and the fourth Legion (the "Deboot* Legion") has been going from 2007 to the present.

The Legion: Foundations is a book that collects adventures from the second version of the Legion that came into being after the 1994 Zero Hour reboot. Legionnaires is a bit more tricky since there were books with that title in both the original and the second Legion. The current Legion stories are just continuations of the fourth Legion that started in 2007.

Probably the easiest way to tell the Legions apart is to look at Brainiac 5, who shows up in all of them. Does he have silver things on his face? You're looking at the Reboot Legion. Does he have short hair? You're looking at the Threeboot Legion. Does he have long hair? You're looking at the Deboot Legion.

*"Deboot" is used to refer to the new continuity being made to closely resemble the original Legion's continuity, but not exactly.

• Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    So this is happening.

tumblr_m72wbicBSn1qi9tg9o1_500.jpg

• Options
    Man, that's the last series I'd expect to get a reboot.

Unless we're talking some kind of prequel.

• Options
    It is a prequel, yeah.

There's more info over in the Vertigo thread if you're curious.

• Options
    So Johns confirmed a few things in the All-Access panel

Shazam will be joining the Justice League in 2013, and Black Adam will be playing a role in the coming months.

Aquaman is sick of the Justice League acting like a bunch of individuals and not an actual team and is gonna call them out on it

The new GL keeps a gun handy in case his ring runs out of juice, apparently

which I would say is a stupid excuse but uh

that does happen a fair amount

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    the gun's fine on its own but terrible in conjunction with the balaclava

also i can't see it not feeling out of place in a story

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    geez, give the guy a raygun or something
    that sure looks like a normal pistol, which won't do a goddamn thing to almost anything a green lantern is likely to fight

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I can confirm that Tim Hunter will show up in JLD and Tiger Shark from Snyder's Detective Comics run will show up in issue 12 of Batman

• Options
    the gun's fine on its own but terrible in conjunction with the balaclava

also i can't see it not feeling out of place in a story

And the big problem with your ring running out of power would be getting stranded in the middle of outer space.

• Options
    maybe just stop writing stories where the green lantern rings run out of power

• Options
    So, Johns re-iterated that Aquaman is gonna shake-up the League as an organization in the end of the Graves storyline, and will make some people leave the team.

I'm betting he kills Graves.

Billy Batson will be meeting the Wizard in Justice League 0 and will join the League following the Cheetah 2-parter.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    phpru2cq9sme1v2.jpg

those are quite possibly the least enthusiastic critical quotes I've ever seen

• Options
    Earth One Parasite creeps me out so much that I do not want to look at it again

also Batman: Earth One vol. 2 is already being worked on

so expect it in, what, 4 years?

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    "A modern, youthful take on Superman taking an angry stroll through a field of charred dead bodies"

This discussion has been closed.