As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I just came out of giving a presentation on transcendence versus immanence in birth-focused passages by Simone De Beauvoir :rotate:

huntresssig.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Arryn wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    Is the series all caught up with the present yet?

It is.

Yeah, there's a caption at the start that reads "Present Day."

Maybe that was just a secular term for Christmas?

Because I'm not sure how Wonder Woman could gibe with JLA, unless Wonder Woman is set in the past.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Yep.

There is some general not gelling going on with JLA, but the biggest issue for me is with Wonder Woman, who is happy go lucky yet tough in JL, but is very detached, strong and relatively silent in her own book.

And yeah, the thing with Batman and the JLI was weird.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    clearly, Geoff Johns is to DC what Bendis is to Marvel
    a storyteller that doesn't follow the characterization of writers in other concurrent series

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Wonder Woman was actually pretty close to her ongoing in the recent Justice League. She hasn't said anything goofy since issue 6, which coincidentally took place 5 years in the past.

And I think Green Lantern just likes to argue with Batman, he said as much. He is more or less consistent personality wise with his ongoing.

And i'm glad they aren't reference all the things going on in each title. Like, I am loving the story right now with Sinestro pretty much deputizing Hal but I don't need them to reference that. The story is internally consistent, thats all I want.

Also, holy shit, the fill-in artist on the next Justice League Dark is so much better than Janin.

Tairu on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I very much enjoyed Justice League this month, although they didn't really seem like a team that had been together for five years. Green Lantern pushing the envelope with Batman to test limits seems like something they should have had worked out by now.

But this is the most interesting Steve Trevor I think I've ever read. Interested to see where this arc goes.

And the Shazam back up has me wanting to see more.

Until the Reboot I stuck mostly to Batman/Green Lantern, so this was my first intro to Steve Trevor, has he always been a super badass? If so, I need more!

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So I get that Huntress is like, Robin from a separate universe that got trapped here but I have a question.

What's up with her appearance in the Justice League Cartoon? Was any of that true to anything?

She's a good adaption from DCU's Bertinelli Huntress. The "new" Huntress is Helena Wayne who was the first and from Earth 2, but the Robin identity is an addition. She was just Huntress back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helena_Wayne

Harry Dresden on
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Jim Lee design sketch for new JL villain:

JusticeLeague_villain_JimLee.jpg

White Martian, maybe? And what's the deal with the faces on his arms?

Mike Choi variant cover for JL #8:

JL8variant_Choi.jpg

Not only is this one of those things you can caption "Christ, what an asshole", but it could be any of the characters here saying it.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    that is the best jl cover yet due to actual smiling

huntresssig.jpg
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @WiseManTobes, actually, of all the "classic supporting cast" characters of any member of the JLA, Steve Trevor has sort of become "the man who time forgot", I'd say probably since Perez' Post-COIE reboot.

I don't think he's kept his relevance to the Wonder Woman mythos the same way Lois Lane, Alfred, Gordon and Jimmy Olsen have kept theirs to their respective heroes. So it's really cool that Johns is doing awesome stuff with the character.

On that Choi cover, is that Amazo they're all standing over? Also a cool nod to GA's original JLA intro.

Arryn on
    edited March 2012
    Did Green Arrow shoot that guy in the butt?

Also, the new villain's tattoos remind me of this.

somethingwickedthiswaycomes2.jpg

And he looks like a shitty redesign of Morbius the Living Vampire.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2012
    I very much enjoyed Justice League this month, although they didn't really seem like a team that had been together for five years. Green Lantern pushing the envelope with Batman to test limits seems like something they should have had worked out by now.

But this is the most interesting Steve Trevor I think I've ever read. Interested to see where this arc goes.

And the Shazam back up has me wanting to see more.

Until the Reboot I stuck mostly to Batman/Green Lantern, so this was my first intro to Steve Trevor, has he always been a super badass? If so, I need more!

Steve is good in the JLU episode "The Savage Time" and the Wonder Woman animated film.

Harry Dresden on
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    @WiseManTobes, actually, of all the "classic supporting cast" characters of any member of the JLA, Steve Trevor has sort of become "the man who time forgot", I'd say probably since Perez' Post-COIE reboot.

I don't think he's kept his relevance to the Wonder Woman mythos the same way Lois Lane, Alfred, Gordon and Jimmy Olsen have kept theirs to their respective heroes. So it's really cool that Johns is doing awesome stuff with the character.

The thing about Steve Trevor is, as he was originally presented in Marstons WW stories, he's a man in a position of authority who is quite happy to be the weaker, subservient partner in a relationship with a powerful woman.

tumblr_ln4gah7U2L1qhbg7w.jpg

You can see why that would be difficult to write for most of the sort of people who've usually written superhero comics for the last seventy years. After Marston died, most subsequent writers didn't have a clue what to do with him. Pre-Crisis, they killed him off about three times and he didn't take the hint, then Perez tried to quietly shuffle him offstage by aging him up and marrying him off to Etta Candy. So yes, interesting to see someone having another try.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Man, I just can't stop hating that new Green Arrow costume. Fun cover, though.

The thing about Steve Trevor is, as he was originally presented in Marstons WW stories, he's a man in a position of authority who is quite happy to be the weaker, subservient partner in a relationship with a powerful woman.

tumblr_ln4gah7U2L1qhbg7w.jpg

You can see why that would be difficult to write for most of the sort of people who've usually written superhero comics for the last seventy years. After Marston died, most subsequent writers didn't have a clue what to do with him. Pre-Crisis, they killed him off about three times and he didn't take the hint, then Perez tried to quietly shuffle him offstage by aging him up and marrying him off to Etta Candy. So yes, interesting to see someone having another try.

Perez shuffling him off made it harder to bring him back into Diana's supporting cast even if they wanted to. That's the one thing I didn't like about Perez run.

If he's harder to write they should think it of him like a challenge. Besides, him being a competent soldier doesn't mean he's not outmatched by whatever super-powered psycho WW is fighting this week.

Jim Lee design sketch for new JL villain:

JusticeLeague_villain_JimLee.jpg

White Martian, maybe? And what's the deal with the faces on his arms?

Mike Choi variant cover for JL #8:

JL8variant_Choi.jpg

Not only is this one of those things you can caption "Christ, what an asshole", but it could be any of the characters here saying it.

Superman looks like he's a second away from heat visioning Green Arrow to death.

Now I'm stuck thinking of what I'd do with a Steve Trevor solo series. Probably keep Wonder Woman out of it as long as possible.

huntresssig.jpg
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Hey, hey, finally caught up.

Batman this week sorta more low key, but I know it was just set up for crazy oh my god awesome times, so I'm ok with that.

Is anyone else following Red Hood still, or am I alone in my principles with that title?

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    That villain design looks damn familiar, but I can't place it.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Wow, Green Arrow suddenly seems to be Hawkeye all of a sudden. They practically image sourced Jeremy Renner on that shit.

I'm also reading Red Hood, but the last issue was sorta meh even for me.
    Looking forward to him interacting with the Bat-family and Starfire being a Space Captain though.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Alright, after two years I am back in the ring. I've officially purchased Action Comics #1. May my wallet never be the same.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    Thats probably better than having read it from the beginning anyway. As ever, it will read better collected.

SightTDW wrote: »
    Alright, after two years I am back in the ring. I've officially purchased Action Comics #1. May my wallet never be the same.

It's going to get very weird at one point. Don't worry, it will get better again.

huntresssig.jpg
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Well I'm liking it a lot so far. Superman is never better than when hes mad, and it seems like he's got quite the temper in his younger days.

Though I was caught off guard by the price. I had it in my head that things were mostly back down to $3/issue, but the $4 for flagship titles is a pretty smart setup.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    Yeah, some of the $4 books just have sketches and concept art (in the extra pages you're guaranteed for the $4), but overall it's cool

there is one issue of JL that gets my ire for being nothing but formatted sentences in indesign in the backmatter, though.

huntresssig.jpg
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well All Star Western for $4 gets you two stories and some art

• SlaughterBeastSlaughterBeast Registered User regular
    Even though it's $4, i'm really enjoying All Star Western. Palmiotti and Gray w/Moritat do damn fine work.
    Outside of Jonah Hex, I have really no idea about DC Western, so I'm enjoying learning about other characters in those 2nd stories

I'm still buying red hood, but I haven't read it in a couple months. It's something I'd have no real issue dropping, but there are a few things I'd like to see first, like what his plan for Starfire turns out to be.

Plus I'm behind on most of my DC books in general. Maybe I will try and catch up a little today and tomorrow.

We still don't know what's up with Starfire?

So, uhh...

I just read JLI #7. After it sat in my pile for a few weeks.

It feels like Editorial told Jurgens to quickly change the entire tone and direction of the book. And to make it more clear, it feels like he was told to clear out a bunch of characters ASAP. So a bunch of awesome characters were all killed off in an explosion.
    -Gavril, the new Rocket Red from JL:GL, is dead. So are Briggs and Esposito, the UN Handlers that were the new supporting cast for this book.
    -Vixen and Fire are down for the count indefinitely. Vixen might be paralyzed, and both are in comas.
    -Tora is also severely injured, but she seems to be the only one that will recover soon.

So, uhh, yeah. I really liked all three of those dead characters, and I might drop the book now. Batwing joins up at the end of the issue; I don't know if he's a permanent addition. OMAC should also be joining soon.

Still, I'm pretty bummed. And surprised no one else has posted about this yet.

Urghhhh, why did I choose to read GLC 7 right after that?

What garbage.

Did anyone else read GLC7 yet? It's literally offensively bad.

And just as grimdark.

Why can't every book be OMAC or Wolverine and the X-Men?

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    HadjiQuest wrote: »

this is what i've been saying
    (read More Than Meets The Eye)

• SlaughterBeastSlaughterBeast Registered User regular
    i'm reading Red Hood. The only reason i started picking it up fom the beginning is Rocafort's art. I love his style

Antimatter wrote: »

this is what i've been saying
    (read More Than Meets The Eye)

I am reading it. It's pretty good, but it's hard to keep track of all the bots.

Also I'm reading it during my shifts at the shop, so I am not actually paying for it :(

edited March 2012
    So, uhh...

I just read JLI #7. After it sat in my pile for a few weeks.

It feels like Editorial told Jurgens to quickly change the entire tone and direction of the book. And to make it more clear, it feels like he was told to clear out a bunch of characters ASAP. So a bunch of awesome characters were all killed off in an explosion.
    -Gavril, the new Rocket Red from JL:GL, is dead. So are Briggs and Esposito, the UN Handlers that were the new supporting cast for this book.
    -Vixen and Fire are down for the count indefinitely. Vixen might be paralyzed, and both are in comas.
    -Tora is also severely injured, but she seems to be the only one that will recover soon.

So, uhh, yeah. I really liked all three of those dead characters, and I might drop the book now. Batwing joins up at the end of the issue; I don't know if he's a permanent addition. OMAC should also be joining soon.

Still, I'm pretty bummed. And surprised no one else has posted about this yet.

Honestly, I liked it. It seemed like Jurgens was having fun with the usual tropes of that setup, it's continuing the general theme of teach Booster hard things, and it was still well-written.

Gonna miss
    Gavril
    though.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I'm still getting Red Hood also, it's so-so at times, but still recovered a fair bit from the whole " This book is just gonna be Rude Alien Titties!" ( Damn you Tex for that term)

Altho I will admit they got at least a year of wait and see out of me over that one Bruce and the kids moment a few issues back.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited March 2012
    it's continuing the general theme of teach Booster hard things

That theme has basically taken all of the fun out of Booster Gold. I was way psyched for his solo series after Infinite Crisis and 52, but the character has been dogged by maudlin storytelling for so long that he's hardly enjoyable anymore.

Robos A Go Go on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    I'm just going to say Booster's not enjoyable anymore.

I get the impression that Jurgens really didn't care for what Giffen and DeMatteis did to his character, and every attempt to write him since then, has been a reaction to that, and an attempt to make him serious.

Which is dumb as Hell, because Giffen and DeMatteis are the only reason that anybody cares about Booster, at all.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I dunno

Giffen and DeMatteis' goofy, amoral Booster Gold is fun and all, I like him a lot

but character development is a thing

making Booster go from that into someone who is genuinely a true hero, who has learnt from his experiences and grown up is good as well

it's the same with Deadpool in some ways, making him a wacky joke-machine is all well and good but there's a lot of potential for good serious storytelling there

at the same time though, I feel like humour is a core part of Booster's character and that while you can make him grow up you have to make him keep his personality which is quite a funny one to read about

so yeah, of two minds there

This discussion has been closed.