As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Secret Huntress Fan Club! (DC Comics: The New 52)

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    One of their old legacy titles, inherited from Quality Comics.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    And it definitely sounds old.

Fleshing out exactly who exists in this new universe is a great idea, though. And as far as creative teams go, Lemire/Hamner is quite a start.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Jaythreef wrote: »
    And it definitely sounds old.

They already revived My Greatest Adventure for the reboot too. I'd suggest a Crack Comics series, but Image already did that.
    Fleshing out exactly who exists in this new universe is a great idea, though. And as far as creative teams go, Lemire/Hamner is quite a start.

Also, note that three of the four announced features are about female characters.

EDIT: Looking at Wikipedia, Quality Comics were the original publishers of Kid Eternity. I always forget that - Once DC had him, they retconned him into being related to Freddy Freeman, who was from a different company.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm definitely in for an anthology series like that. Sounds pretty cool.

huntresssig.jpg
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Kid Eternity? By Jeff Lemire? This is the greatest news since Dial H. Lemire continues to take on Morrison-made-famous characters, come to think of it.

Also, anyone catch the reference to the Green in the BoP solicit? Awesome.

Tairu wrote: »
    Kid Eternity? By Jeff Lemire? This is the greatest news since Dial H. Lemire continues to take on Morrison-made-famous characters, come to think of it.

Also, anyone catch the reference to the Green in the BoP solicit? Awesome.

I looked back at BoP #7 on a lark and apparently Ivy is now part-Green. Interesting times ahead.

huntresssig.jpg
    Here's the details for the first four issues from the DC Blog:
    NATIONAL COMICS, a new print comic series, will debut this July and feature a series of stand-alone stories built around some of DC Comics most intriguing characters. The first four key characters that comprise NATIONAL COMICS include ETERNITY, MADAME X, ROSE AND THORN, and LOOKER. Each character will have a stand-alone issue.

ETERNITY, written by Eisner Award nominee Jeff Lemire with artwork by Cully Hamner, tells the story of police coroner Christopher Freeman. Given a second chance at life, Freeman discovers the ability to resurrect the dead. Now this clumsy wannabe detective partners with the recently deceased to find their murderers—and find them closure before they once again shuffle off this mortal coil.

MADAME X, written by Rob Williams with artist Trevor Hairsine and a cover by Fiona Staples, starts off with a clear vision of who did it — but the real challenge is trying to prove it. As an upstart law firm’s psychic consultant, MADAME X uses tarot cards to divine the truth behind cases, helping skeptical lawyers gather evidence that will hold up in court.

ROSE AND THORN, written by Tom Taylor with artwork by Neil Googe and a cover by Ryan Sook, is a Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde story about Rose Canton, a good girl with a very bad side: Thorn, an ass-kicking femme fatale out for revenge.

LOOKER, written by Ian Edington with art by Mike S. Miller and a cover by Guillem March, tells the story of Emily Briggs, a model who loved looking at herself in the mirror—until the day she couldn’t. Turned into a vampire, LOOKER prowls the dark underbelly of NYC’s elite modeling world, hunting all predators, including the creature that spawned her.

Be sure to check out every issue of NATIONAL COMICS, starting with ETERNITY in July.

steam_sig.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Full July solicits

Everything looks the same, nothing really standing out, Grifter's fighting Omega Red, Super-pets in Superman Family Adventures.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Poison Ivy saving The Green, what?

almost tempted to pick it up, almost

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Is this Rob Williams first thing for DC?

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Antimatter wrote: »

BoP has been really good! You should.

On a related note, BoP gets a cover not by David Finch and is instantly 100% better.

huntresssig.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Is this Rob Williams first thing for DC?

I think he may have (is?) co-written for someone (liefeld?)

It totally is his first thing. Strange times.

HadjiQuest on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I'm betting he's jumping ship since none of his Marvel titles were all that good/successes

CYpGAPn.png
    Arivia wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

BoP has been really good! You should.

On a related note, BoP gets a cover not by David Finch and is instantly 100% better.

Also, it's gonna be drawn by Travel Foreman.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I really liked the Judge Dredd stuff that Rob Williams did for 2000AD, but none of his Marvel concepts ever seemed to take off. And it was last April that he signed his exclusive deal with Marvel, so it was probably only for 1 year.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    And there is that rumor that Marvel and DC are only doing exclusives with the top guys now. So it all makes good sense.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    I'm betting he's jumping ship since none of his Marvel titles were all that good/successes

I dunno, his Daken, Deadpool Team-Up, and Skaar were all pretty good. I didn't care for what little I read of his Ghost Rider, but I think he did some quality stuff.

But yeah, he didn't really do anything that was a financial success. Though, that's true of most creators that aren't put on a flagship title.

Munch on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    bring

back

angel and the ape

7656367.jpg
    Munch wrote: »

I dunno, his Daken, Deadpool Team-Up, and Skaar were all pretty good. I didn't care for what little I read of his Ghost Rider, but I think he did some quality stuff.

But yeah, he didn't really do anything that was a financial success. Though, that's true of most creators that aren't put on a flagship title.
    I think he had a few issues of good Deadpool Team-Up stories

Skaar wasn't bad. Shadowland: Ghost Rider was also good, better than his actual GR stories.

Mostly what makes me think he is switching teams is because he was given quite a few titles in a very short amount of time, all of which universally fizzled both sales wise and with fan buzz. I mean when Circle of Four showed up half of the responses I heard were "wait, Ghost Rider's a chick?"

CYpGAPn.png
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Has Spectre shown up anywhere yet in the New 52 yet? I gave the first couple JL Dark issues a shot hoping he'd be in there but no dice.

Pretty much my favorite comic character as long as he isn't written by Johns, really hoping Snyder or Lemire get to play with him soon. Hell, give him back to Ostrander and I'd buy twenty copies.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    bring

back

angel and the ape

Only if they bring back all the really crazy stuff from the Phil Foglio series, like Sam being Grodd's nephew, and having psychic powers, and Angel being Dumb Bunny's sister.

National Comics seems like a fun idea. But, I'm kind of baffled at the starting line-up. Madame Xanadu's already over in Demon Knights. Looker must be someone in editorial's favorite character, given how she showed up in Outsiders a few years back. Kid Eternity's cool, so whatever. Rose and Thorn I could take or leave. It just seems like there are cooler ideas to play with, in the DCU.

It almost seems like an R&D book, a testing ground for TV shows and movies. Seriously, all those descriptions seem like attempts to pitch shows along the lines of CSI, or Burn Notice. Pithy, high-concept ideas that would translate well to an episodic format.

Not that I think there's anything necessarily wrong with that, mind you. Who Is Jake Ellis? read like a movie pitch, too. Heck, I think it's bug-nuts retarded that no one's made a Doctor Mid-Nite comic yet, that reads like House.

Munch on
    Madame Xanadu's notionally the leader of JL Dark, too.

But! I think Madame X is supposed to be something different, since Madame Xanadu is a little...how should I say it. Crack-addled!

huntresssig.jpg
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    HHQma.jpg
    HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #1
    Written by JAMES ROBINSON
    Art and cover by PHILIP TAN and RUY JOSE
    1:25 Variant cover by DAVE WILKINS
    On sale JULY 4 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.
    • HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE return to comics in an all-new miniseries!
    • SKELETOR strikes with his master plan to rule ETERNIA!
    • Can ADAM and the MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE remember what ETERNIA was like in time to save it?

Did they announce this at a con because this kinda came out of nowhere for me when I saw it in the solicits.

what

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    What as well but then it's more of a wait and see
    I had a question about one of the previews or something? I saw last week
    I vampire has a collection of old stories from the 70's that gives the background for Mary and Andrew. what was it called?

Now that JLD has a story and is going places {hopefully}

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »

Did anybody read his Iron Age book? I think that was supposed to William's big tentpole book as part of his Marvel deal, but I never heard anything about it - good or bad. But hey, it will always be fun to make jokes about him being Robin Williams.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Eddie Berganza goes from Executive Editor to Group Editor.

I think this actually works better, being demoted, because Berganza's best work was as group editor of the 2K Superman books.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »
    HHQma.jpg
    HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #1
    Written by JAMES ROBINSON
    Art and cover by PHILIP TAN and RUY JOSE
    1:25 Variant cover by DAVE WILKINS
    On sale JULY 4 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US
    Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.
    • HE-MAN AND THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE return to comics in an all-new miniseries!
    • SKELETOR strikes with his master plan to rule ETERNIA!
    • Can ADAM and the MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE remember what ETERNIA was like in time to save it?

Did they announce this at a con because this kinda came out of nowhere for me when I saw it in the solicits.

Yeah I am buying this

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Is the I vampire Tp this week the one I metioned earlier?

1334063391.jpg
    Shifting gears to the Shazam half of the book, we saw a lot of teases before the first chapter hit -- a picture of the new Shazam, some news about his name change and your and Gary's hopes for the franchise -- but reading the first story, I was still struck by the very different take on Billy Batson. How much were you trying to play against the "Aw shucks/Holy Moley" expectation of what that character is supposed to be?

That's the whole point of that first chapter, I think. We introduce the world, and you can see the hint of an expanded mythology -- especially in the Rock of Eternity and with a very different Doctor Sivana. We get the story of Black Adam and the idea that the Rock of Eternity was this massive fortress that was run by a council of wizards and sorceresses. Then getting to Billy and meeting this kid who's not at all what you expect, that was very important to us. Gary and I wanted to tell a very character-oriented tale. These first ten pages are just a glimpse of who Billy Batson is, and I think starting by playing against expectations was very important for us, but also, his journey from here is central to the book. There's a very big new angle we're playing with Billy Batson and Shazam in particular, and some of that comes out in chapter two in "Justice League" #8, and even more of it will be seen over the first story. But obviously, we're playing totally against expectations to start because Billy Batson has this goodness inside him, but just like every hero has that, we wanted to explore a more multi-dimensional kid. He's had a rough go of it so far, and he's got a lot of road to travel and a lot to learn from here.

The one big tease we do get from the Rock of Eternity is that the statues everyone associates with the Shazam story -- Solomon and Hercules and on and on -- are broken to pieces and unrecognizable. And the wizard is much creepier than he's ever been to boot. As we move forward, are you looking to make that part of the story significantly different?

There's going to be significant expansion on the mythology of it. It's not just a cavern with a guy sitting at the end on a stone throne anymore. There's much more to it, and I think the idea behind Shazam and the Rock will really mean the return of magic. When Billy Batson speaks that word, it marks the return of magic to this world. His powers and the characters he interacts with and everything is pushed to a very different level than we've seen before. You'll see a lot of the familiar faces that you're used to seeing with Shazam, but even in the next month or two you'll see new characters and new stories and new pieces of the mythology that don't negate anything we know and love. They just build on top of it.

CYpGAPn.png
    Who was it that tried saying that people expecting grimness was silly

Because

Well

W

where are you seeing Grim

there are 5 smiling children on that page, complete with hot cocoa, a pet bunny and a hug

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    oh boy, creepy wizard Shazam

can't wait to read that

oh boy, creepy wizard Shazam

can't wait to read that
    He already showed up

he was in it for the grand total of one panel and was only "creepy" due to being an old dude with missing teeth

otherwise, pretty standard Shazam

CYpGAPn.png
    blank

can you not read

between creepy Shazam, punk Billy, broken as fuck statues, i am feeling vindicated

Shazam isn't that creepy! He is just an old man who has been stuck in a rock for centuries

and they outright say "Billy has had it rough but he is going to be going places" meaning he is going to grow as a person

and broken statues

really

that is your THIS IS SO GRIM defense

CYpGAPn.png
    I mean yeah it is a bit darker than something like Jeff Smith's Shazam

but grim?

Fuck no.

CYpGAPn.png
  • ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    All the old characters coming back in one form or another gives me hope maybe someday we'll see some more Zoo Crew.
    Maximum wrote: »
    Has Spectre shown up anywhere yet in the New 52 yet? I gave the first couple JL Dark issues a shot hoping he'd be in there but no dice.

Pretty much my favorite comic character as long as he isn't written by Johns, really hoping Snyder or Lemire get to play with him soon. Hell, give him back to Ostrander and I'd buy twenty copies.

Spectre got a mention in the Pandora back up of JL. The Phantom Stranger says something about him in passing. Other than that, nothing.

I suspect we may see him in Robinson's E-2.

Pedro
    Eugene

Okay, I am fucking psyched

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    so they brought back all of the Capt. Thunder kids just changing around the ages a bit (Im guessing the younger kid is Darla).

Awesome, I was hoping they would do that with the new story. You know, Im hoping after the initial story in JLA is done they expand it out for a full series.

This discussion has been closed.