As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• Options
    onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    So I just got myself an iPad this week, been enjoying the hell out of it. I've owned an iPhone for awhile, so I have a lot of great games and apps already.. but was just wondering on any iPad specific recommendations that have recently been released.

So far I've already purchased Superbrothers, Lostwinds, Kingdom Rush, Swordigo, and that spider manor mystery game thing. Any good zelda style clone at this point in time? Saw that Paper Hero game, anyone try it out?

• Options
    NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    ^^ The OP has some good suggestions for new (and veteran pod) ipad owners. Enjoy!

:winky:
  • Options
    onesixty2onesixty2 Registered User regular
    Just took a look there and picked up infinity blade and a few others, World of Goo was something I completely didn't realize was on the iOS.. never did play it on steam.

Loving this platform so far, couldn't make it beyond 10-15 minute sessions on my phone before my eyes hurt or my fingers cramped. Speaking of, anyone have a particular case / stand they recommend? I was thinking something like this http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1060ZM/A?fnode=MjA1MTEyODY but then I realized I could just as easily buy a 2.99 plastic or metal plate stand in a hobby lobby or bed bath & beyond.

Also, that magnetic flip smart cover that is sold.. anyone have experience with that? Seems like it'd accomplish my needs for something to keep the screen safe, and possibly be a stable enough stand? Just wanna be able to play certain games without holding the device. It tends to get a little heavy after awhile.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Smart Cover does what it's supposed to, and the cloth side doubles as a fingerprint wiper, but you can find full cases that have a smart cover feature built in for roughly the same price of just the Apple Smart Cover itself. I personally use the Apple Smart Cover with a Dodocase BOOKback and slide the whole thing into a Booq boa skin for storage, but that's a fairly expensive route and isn't the most securely protective option. Browse/ask the iPhone/iPod thread in Moe's for case suggestions.

As for that stand you linked...yeah, you can definitely find comparable/better options for a fraction of that price. Check Monoprice, which is also a good source for inexpensive cases that will probably suit anyone's general needs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Those of you that have a lot of FMA points stored up, 4500 to be exact, you can now use them to get a $15 iTunes gift card.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I've been using FMA since christmas, and I don't think I've even accumulated 4500 total

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Well, and on top of that, your points expire if you don't by anything for a few months. I've gotten a couple notices warning me about that.

Getting 4500 points before that happens will be a stretch.

So I thought I read that it was possible to desync a game to save HD space, and then when you resync it it will retain your save file (which is saved in iTunes on the computer).

However, I just tried this with a couple "test apps" (two games I beat and don't expect to ever come back to), but when a desynced and then resynced I didn't get my save file back. I didn't touch the games in iTunes besides de-clicking them in my iPhone list, syncing, then re-clicking and syncing again.

How exactly is this supposed to work? Or does it not work at all without jailbreaking?

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    OK I'm having fun with Fantasy Defense (a bit on the easy side, but I like the different kinds of units, upgrades, and progression)... but whoa. This over-the-top anime art-style is pretty ridiculous and from what I can tell, pretty unnecessary for the actual game.

I don't need to see giant anime boobs on my unit's portrait.

I actually came back to this thread to thank Paincakes for his recommendation and make more or less the same observation. I'm normally happy to be pandered to, but some of these girls should put a sweater on.

Fun tho.

Haha, I guess I should have mentioned the ridiculous character portraits and ZOMG boobs. It's almost like it's satire because the characters in-game are just little pixel art but then to say they "really" look like that is almost like poking fun. Like the South Park episode where they are anime ninjas.

I thought it was easy as first too but it gets pretty tough later on, and I found myself using some different unit types that were completely unnecessary early on. I had to grind a bit for the last world though. I would definitely recommend getting some +20% items (speed, range, whatever) for your heroes. I think I gave the +20% range item to my archer hero and it was pretty badass.

I love tower defense and I love RPGs, and I can only hope that someday someone will combine the two into an actual game with a story, towns, the whole deal. Like, you move around a la Final Fantasy or whatever but the battles play out in a TD fashion. I have all these ideas but no time or programming knowledge.

So I lost about 15 hours of my life to this and managed to complete it without breaking down and hitting the in-app store for upgrades, which I'm proud of but feel a little guilty about. Maybe I'll buy something just to toss the devs a couple of bucks.

You weren't kidding about the last world, though, I hit a brick wall around level 45 and had to go back and play through about a dozen earlier levels to get enough points built up to upgrade my units to where they needed to be to finish the last five levels.

What you're describing sounds kind of like the Shining Force games on the Genesis, though they have turn-based strategy battles rather than tower defense bits. If you've never played those, they're worth checking out - they're on Steam for PC, not sure about other platforms.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Has anyone played Super Crossfire HD, specifically on an iPad? How well does it play on a touchscreen? Asking because it's on sale for $1. Also, the whole Radiangames catalog is on sale (non-HD version of SC is free) as per the game deals thread.

EDIT: Screw it, $1 off a gift card that I got on discount isn't going to kill me.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular
    Smash Cops is constantly making me chuckle. Illegally parked cars? SMASH THEM! Runaway parade float? SMASH IT!

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options
    So I lost about 15 hours of my life to this and managed to complete it without breaking down and hitting the in-app store for upgrades, which I'm proud of but feel a little guilty about. Maybe I'll buy something just to toss the devs a couple of bucks.

Did you get it for free or something? I think I paid $3 for it.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Right when you posted about it Paincakes, it was on special for free!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Fruit Ninja's free today via http://anniversary.fruitninja.com/. Click the "Download for Free" button and it'll spit out a code to redeem on iTunes. It's only for the SD app and not the HD version.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    ticket to ride is free today.

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Fruit Ninja's free today via http://anniversary.fruitninja.com/. Click the "Download for Free" button and it'll spit out a code to redeem on iTunes. It's only for the SD app and not the HD version.

They ran out of codes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Vegan wrote: »
    Bullio wrote: »

They ran out of codes.

I was hitting that the whole day but it kept giving me null codes or the server was dead. Oh well.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    I just had it work 30 seconds ago, so maybe they got more codes?

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

Boo, only the iPhone version.

• Options

Boo, only the iPhone version.

• Options
    ah sorry i didnt notice that part

• Options
    Made me so sad I said it twice.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Hey guys, quick question for those of you here with Ipads. If I plan on playing a few games, should I go ahead and get the 64 gig version or would the 32 gig version work just fine?

• Options
    Enc wrote: »
    Hey guys, quick question for those of you here with Ipads. If I plan on playing a few games, should I go ahead and get the 64 gig version or would the 32 gig version work just fine?

If you're just playing a "few" games, 32GB should be just fine. Some of these games are 1GB+ and I'm constantly managing my space on my 16GB phone, so I wouldn't recommend going that low.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Excellent, thanks all.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I've been hooked on Montowers, which is a game about collecting monsters, using those to fight tougher monsters and collecting those, using those to fight tougher monsters and so on. It pushes the buttons in my brain that make me think that having little blue folders with state quarter collections would be kind of a neat thing, not that I have little blue folders with state quarters in them.

Also, werepolabears:
    montowers_werepolabear.png?w=200&h=300

Just about everything you do in the game involves a long cool-down timer, which can of course be reduced or eliminated using tokens you can buy from the in-app store, but the timers run even when you're not playing the game so I've been able to get about 3/4ths of the way through without dropping a cent yet.

• Options
    IB2 content update, called Vault of Tears, is coming tomorrow. http://www.shacknews.com/article/73889/infinity-blade-2-getting-free-vault-of-tears-update-on

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    So I started a New Game+ in Infinity Blade II and I'm a little confused. It shows both my original game and NG+ as separate but under the same character slot. Are these somehow connected to each other or will they both operate independently? Is there any way to start a "new" new game+ from my original file? I don't see the option anymore.

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Ended up with $40 in itunes credit from a convention this week, so I'll be on the hunt for iphone and ipad goodies.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    The "Because We May" indie game sale is now live, and the iOS section has some pretty snazzy games, like Warzone: Anomaly Earth, Superbrothers and Puzzlejuice, for cheap(er).

• Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Gta3 is a buck and real racing 2 is $2. Both are on my watch list- anyone have an opinion to offer on picking them up? My main concern is I still have ghost trick sitting there unplayed if I want a console-like game. And I paid $10 for that!

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote: »
    The "Because We May" indie game sale is now live, and the iOS section has some pretty snazzy games, like Warzone: Anomaly Earth, Superbrothers and Puzzlejuice, for cheap(er).

YES! Waiting on Superbrothers paid off, I get to save a whole $2!
    So much stuff on that list...I'll have to go over it a little more thoroughly when I get home and grab a few.
    Thanks for sharing the link, @Lawndart.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I'm having a great time with Wings of Valor. It's like being 8 years old playing on the Amiga all over again.
    mza_1317365263810706729.320x480-75.jpg

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Lawndart wrote: »

YES! Waiting on Superbrothers paid off, I get to save a whole $2!
    So much stuff on that list...I'll have to go over it a little more thoroughly when I get home and grab a few.
    Thanks for sharing the link, @Lawndart.

I grabbed all of the free stuff, Waking Mars, and Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor. I highly recommend both, as well as Superbrothers. Debating buying my...4th?, copy of World of Goo. iPad version's been cheaper, but it's only a $1 difference, but I'm also cheap (especially when it comes to apps). Anyone have any other recommendations?

EA is having a Memorial Day sale as well. Burnout Crash is $1, ME: Infiltrator is $3, Dead Space HD is $2, and a bunch of other stuff is on sale as well for various prices. Has anyone played Burnout Crash and can provide some impressions?

Infinity Blade 2 is on sale for $3. Aforementioned content update is available.

Trial Xtreme 2 Winter Edition is currently free, as is Cut the Rope Experiments.

And as mentioned, GTA3 is on sale for $1. Chinatown Wars is also on sale for $1. I recommend both, but especially Chinatown Wars.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
    I got Burnout Crash in that sale. It's really fun! It's basically Crash mode, but top-down arcade style. I loved Crash mode in Burnout 3, and this feels similar. In Burnout 3, it was more of a physics puzzle. Here, the "puzzle" is "How do I make sure these lanes of traffic are blocked off, so I can destroy everything in the level?" Yeah, even the buildings.

The 3rd mode (can't remember the name) ends with a level-wiping event, like a jumbo jet crash or a tornado. It's really satisfying. :)

GameCenter: ROldford
    Switch: nin.codes/roldford
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Oh shit, Empire of the Eclipse is finally out.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/empire-of-the-eclipse/id416008339?mt=8

The app is free, but there is a monthly subscription of $2. That's because up to 1500 players participate in each game, which is apparently supposed to last about two months. So far there is only a version optimized for the iPhone but a universal version is in the works.

TL;DR: pretty 4X space MMO

Sarksus on
  • Options
    i grabbed canabalt from that sale but i didn't recognize most of the games in the list. already had a few of the big ones.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    These sales are really pissing me off. I got the new ipad two weeks ago and bought literally every high profile game that is now on sale. I could have saved at least $20.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Welcome to the App Store. Shit goes on sale all the time. Much like Steam, but more erratic.

On the bright side, iOS games are dirt cheap even at full price. I mean, the high end is like 10 bucks. But now you'll know for the future.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I know I should have just been patient (I've been using the app store for a couple of years on an iPod touch) but I've had so much fun with the iPad that I was compelled to get everything good all at once. You're right though, I didn't lose very much in savings and everything I bought was worth the full price.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Yeah, It's nice getting one or two greater apps for less or free, but they're already so cheap...

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
This discussion has been closed.